Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    i checked all 4 doors on my 00-the weather stripping exposed when doors are open, located at the bottom area of the body. they were all loose! they have rectangle double sided tape holding them in place-2 for each door-but they all came loose from the body surface. the driver side hangs outside of the door when driving. it will be fixed friday. has anyone else noticed this?
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    The recirculation feature is pretty much meant for A/C use as this is the only time it is really needed. On older cars there was a position called "Max A/C" which basically was recirculate. Without the A/C on, I don't think I would want to be recirculating cabin air anyway.
  • wuchifengwuchifeng Member Posts: 7
    jk296, it's amazing how quickly the button goes through the dash board!

I'm beginning to wonder about the extended warranty myself (or possibly dumping the car). I think the Alero is a great car but all these little things are starting to annoy me... my '00 Alero is scheduled to go into the shop for the following:

Vibrating driver side mirror. Vibrates like crazy on the highway to the point it's almost useless.

Rotors and brakes! I had the original brakes and rotors replaced under warranty at only 15,000 miles. I now have 23,000 miles and the rotors are warped again. I wouldn't mind if I was driving like some sort of manic but I've been fairly gentle with the brakes. When making the appointment, the "advisor" said that they would probably not be covered under warranty... my response was, "Well, if it's not covered under warranty, I certainly don't want you to do the brake job since the last one only lasted 7,000 miles (< 1 year)". Seesh!!

HVAC fan. The two lower fan settings are now inoperable... basically nothing comes out of the vents until I have the fan on the third setting. Thus, I'm either hot or feel like I'm in a freezer.

Rear passenger door. For some reason, the rear passenger door handle does not return all the way back to the "in" position. It also takes a little bit of a tug to get it open.

I think that's it for now. The Alero replaced a 1990 Camry that I put 165,000 miles on. That car basically had three sets of brake pads replaced, one set of rotors, and the exhaust system replaced once.

It's sad because I thought that I would try buying American once to see if the USA could make a decent car... it looks like I'll be returning to Germany or Japan for my next.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Sounds like you got a bit of a lemon for sure. I know 3 people with Aleros and they all like them. Very little in the way of problems. Ours is only 2 months old, but I am very impressed so far also. I understand your disappointment though, if I were in your shoes I would feel the same way. Statistically, German cars are worse than American so I would skip that option though.
    Didak, my car is now 30 months old... I had absolutely no problems the first 18 months of ownership. Until that time, I really thought that Olds had a terrific product and I still love the way it drives. Just wish GM went a little bit further in their product development and the grade of their interior parts. I would have gladly paid an extra couple of thousand for this car if they had increased the quality of content slightly rather than giving the feeling that corners were cut to no end.
  • LetLet Member Posts: 5
    Could someone please tell me the location of the oil filter of Alero 2002. Thanks.
    Both my mom's and my wife's friend have 99s and they have both been great in terms of reliability. There is always a few lemons I guess. Part of the reason we bought is because we know so many people that like their Aleros.

The rotors once fixed properly should not give further problems. If there was a design problem there should be a permanent fix.
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    Which engine do you have?
  • gregkilliangregkillian Member Posts: 31
    Get behind a smoky school bus, a smelly garbage truck, or an old junker spewing exhaust and that recirc button comes in real handy!
    Jpelder, my Alero has 2.2L Ecotec 4-cylinder. Thanks
    good luck on the vibrating driver side mirror. mine has been replaced and/or worked on at least 5 or 6 times and it goes in again friday for the same thing!
    Add a Ford Powerstroke or an old MB diesel to that list!
    The filter on the Ecotec is not a spin off filter. It is located just behind the radiator on the side (front of the engine campartment)of the crankcase. Look for a large black plastic screwcap, with a plastic nut molded into the top of the cap.

It is very easy to reach!
    Sounds good. I don't think Olds can be saved, but preserving what is left is very important. All the best to you.
  • ctalericoctalerico Member Posts: 23
    I just thought I would mention that I took my car in a couple days ago due to the steering wheel vibrating and a rattle/clunking noise under the hood. They had to replace the tierod and the two front struts. I was told that these must have been defective parts. So, be aware. If mine were defective I'm sure there are others out there. I own a 2000 GLS. I'm considering writing to GM since my rotors have also been replaced twice (at 13,000 miles) due to a defect. It scares me to think of what else could go wrong. I could have eventually caused a serious accident with that defective tierod.
    I also had a left tierod replaced at ~5,000 miles b/c of rattle & clunking noises over any significant bump or a series (washboard) of bumps. It didn't seem to fix the problem. I wonder now if there is still something wrong or does the Alero just have a clunky front end?
    I don't hear anything on mine, though Alero does have a fairly stiff suspension. My theory is, if you didn't have the sound before, get it check out.
    It's been that way since day one. That is what leads me to wonder if it is common among Alero's. I might be oversensitive, but it just doesn't sound right. My other car, Saturn LS, makes none of the noises over the same bumps...
  • adennadenn Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2001 GL2 and it's going into the shop tomorrow for the same reasons. I am noticing that the steering wheel shimmies (is this a word?) when I am applying the brakes at speeds above 25mph. I just had the tires rotated and am wondering if it might be that they did not put right torque on the wheel lugs. Have had Olds check for rattle/clunk before and they found nothing wrong. I still get these sounds at low speeds over bumps--especially over a washboard series of bumps. Just does not sound right and do not believe I had this for the first few months I owned the car. I will ask them to check the struts and tie rods and we'll see what happens.

The two issues that are causing me much concern are the driver's side window is getting etched with use. I have several noticeable scratches and have had it worked on and replaced one time already. The second issue is the the transmission lever--when put in park it does not "click" into place to release the ignition key. Have to rock it a couple of times before it clicks into place and can remove key. This is a second time it's being worked on.

On a final note, I have had the car into the shop on four occasions. My local dealer used to give me a loaner for the day (through Enterprise rental). This was a major selling point for purchasing the car. When I called to make tomorrow's appointment, they informed me that GM will no longer be giving loaners unless the car stays over night. Now, I feel a bit mad about this. I was told I would get a loaner if the car had to be in the shop for more than two hours when I bought the car am starting to regret that I went back to an American made car. I have had two Mazda's in the previous fifteen years and had both cars in a total of four times with nearly 300,000 miles between the two. I like the Alero and the way it handles and drives, but if I have to take the car in every few months for something, I may have drop out of the Olds family.
    Do you have a GX with the normal r&p steering or do you have a GL/GLS with the variable assist? If you have the later, it could be the intermediate shaft as I know some people with Intrigue have that problem. The company that supply GM with these has had a few problems. I would take it in, my car does not make these sounds at all.
    Thanks for the info dindak. I have a GL2, so it could be the intermediate shaft as you mention. I will keep bringing it in until it is fixed!
    Jpelder, I found it. Thanks
  • rat284rat284 Member Posts: 20
    I just looked at pictures and reviewed the pricing for the 2003 Alero and Grand Am. From what I can tell, the Alero looks exactly the same, and the standard equipment and options are pretty much the same (with the addition of the XM radio option). With one major exception! It appears that you can no longer order the manual transmission on the GL2, only the GX. Which was, of course, my preferred combination. Oh well.

Also, check out this picture of the 2003 Grand Am. What does it remind you of?

• rat284rat284 Member Posts: 20
    Though I didn't see it in the options list on Edmunds, according to the GM Media site, the manual transmission is now available on the GL1, as well as the GX. But still, no longer on the GL2. And new exterior colors! Arctic white, bright red, and steel gray! Interestingly, the Alero is the only Oldsmobile to offer the XM radio option.
    4-wheel discs on the Alero, not on the Grand Am in 02. Has that changed for 2003? Alero also has no radio antenna, it's built into the windshield which I prefer. I still like the interior and dash of the Alero better also.

Grand Am certainly does look a lot more like the Alero which is a good thing in my eyes.
  • crauchcrauch Member Posts: 1
    I just took my 99 GLS 6 cyl Alero to a trusted private garage to have that noise checked out. I thought it was associated with the steering at times also. They heard the noise also but could not find anything that needed fixed that would stop it. They mentioned brakes, tie rods, etc. But did not feel any of those were damaged or bad. They suggested I see if Oldsmobile had any known problems. When I called my dealership they told me no. I could tell the guy did not check anywhere, he just said no. If anyone knows a fix I would appreciate a response.

Then I remembered Edmunds. When looking through this site I also noticed the problem with the brakes and rotors. I just had mine replaced. I have 35,000 miles on mine. Called Oldsmobile and asked for them to reimburse for the $ but they said no since I had it done outside the dealership and past the 24,000 mile mark.

I might also be having the water problem but wasn't sure since I left the sunroof open during rain once.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    friggin grand am still has the batman spoiler though....musta been a concession for getting rid of the cladding.
    Thats odd that the Alero will offer XM but not the Aurora. IMO, XM should be optional on all cars! I have it in my Intrigue(aftermarket unit) and it is wonderful. I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to an FM station in my car.
  • dr_cmbdr_cmb Member Posts: 8
    Hello all-

I haven't been here for about 6 months, which is a good sign--my '01 GL1 Alero is running great. No problems so far.

I did get some paint scratched off (looks like someone grazed me in the parking lot) and I wanted to ask if anyone knows where in the car you can find the info about the exact name for the paint color of your particular car. I just don't remember, and I want to figure it out before I go to get some touch-up paint. Thanks!
  • adennadenn Member Posts: 18
    I was told by the dealership that the paint code was on a label in the trunk (I look for it on the driver's door jam) I didn't see it, but the dealership also said you could give them your VIN # and they could then tell you the paint you need.

If you find out where the heck the label is, please let me know--real curious.

Adenn
    When I went to get mine, there was a label on the _underside_ of the spare tire cover.

Hope this helps.
    I agree, XM should be available on all cars. It's getting quite popular from what I hear.
    I've had XM since last November and it is wonderful. Not sure if it is available north of the border, but if it is, I recommend it.
    It's not available here, but like my DirecTV system, I just have to drive across the boarder and get it. I am less than an hour from Niagara Falls NY so it's really no big deal.

Do you have one of the plug n play models?
    i took the 00 alero in monday for driver side mirror vibrations-again-and weather stripping had to be replaced at bottom of all 4 doors. but.... the mirror still vibrates after the 7th time!!!!!!
    Yeah, mine is the Sony "plug n play" so I can enjoy it at home as well as in the car. I would check to be sure the signal will be picked up in Canada. I've read that due to where the satellites are located that the signal is beamed to earth at a pretty sharp angle and there initally was concern about northern parts of the continental US such as Washington state and Maine not getting the signal well. Also, I doubt there are any repeaters in Canada since XM doesn't sell the service well. Without repeaters, unless you have a view of the southern sky, you won't get any signal.
    Ya, I know about the repeater problem, but the signal here is fine otherwise. My brother in-law drives transport for Honda to Ohio and Alabama and he is seriously considering a system for his truck. Hopefully he will get one soon so I can see one in action.

infinia1 : You clearly need to find a new service dealer. No excuse for not fixing it right.
  • jlgoldenjlgolden Member Posts: 32
    I purchased an new 2001 Alero for obvious reasons - it is the best looking sedan available in it's price range, and it has good braking, acceleration, handling, etc. But - too many clunks, rattles, and shudders in the front suspension (over minor bumps) and an unsolved front end shimmy that ultimately led to Olds repurchasing the car from me. I really felt good buying an American brand product for the first time in years, but after the experience of 13 months and 40,000 rattling, shaking miles - it will be hard to pull me away from imports again. Once a driver has been treated to the refinement of an import, everything else feels like junk.
    You obviously had a lemon if what you say happened. My mom has had her 99 Alero for 3 1/2 years with virtually no issues. We have had our 02 GX for 2 months and it's quiet pleasant ride is on par with my buddy's 4 cyl. Accord, according to him. Sorry you had a lemon because the Alero is a wonderful car, especially with the new 2.2L Ecotec.
  • jimjacjimjac Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Olds Alero and my heater/ac fan does not work in positions 1 & 2. 3,4, & 5 work just fine. I called my dealer and they knew what the problem was. My car is 2 1/2 years old and just hit 38,000 miles. I asked them to cover it under the warranty since I reported a related fan problem back in December. The service guy said "nope". Any advice on how to get this covered? I figure since it's a known problem and I reported it earlier, they should cover it. Thanks, jimjac
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Technically, your car is no longer covered under the 3/36 warranty. It would be nice if the service advisor was a little more tactful in telling you this, but I've given up hope with those guys. Now, if you took your Alero to the dealership and reported this same problem while the car was under warranty, and you have documented proof that they worked on it (the service repair order), then you should be able to get it fixed for free. But if it was a different problem or you didn't actually get them to look at it, you're probably out of luck. Sounds like the fan switch or the fan motor resistor is bad.
  • coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    I have a 2000 Alero and the heater/ac blower motor resistor was replaced under warranty at or around 15,000 miles.

This is a common problem with the Alero and perhaps the Grand Am.

If you read previous arc hived post here you will find several failures. Good luck.
    3 months sure has gone by fast but I thought I would just update our 02 Alero GX experience. Car is still running perfectly with no rattles, issues or concerns to report. Basically gas, wash and go with this one. We now have just over 4K on the car and mileage has finally made it up to the advertised mileage numbers which is good.

Things I like are the most are the 2.2L Ecotec (one of the best four bangers out there), handing, the styling, the very functional and good looking dash and the 4 wheel disc (ABS) brakes which are very strong. Some nit picks include the drivers seat which could be better and the lack of a nice trunk thud.

We are very happy with the car and for the money it's hard to beat. Thanx to the guys here in the forum for helping with the purchase a back in April.
  • jlgoldenjlgolden Member Posts: 32
    @#!!
    I have never had a lemon and my last 3 cars have been GM and have all been just fine. We bought our Alero partly because my mom has had a very good experience with her 99 GL. No the Alero is not the best car in the world and no the assembly quality is not the best. That said, I find the car very tight and well built and for the money it could not be beat.

If I were in your shoes, I would feel the same way. Getting a lemon leaves a very bad taste in your mouth. My parents old Mustang was a lemon and I remember it being in the shop a lot which is why they have GMs now.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    FWIW, I've had an Alero for 3 years and 36000mls and it was flawless out of the door. I actually got it over a Grand Am because of the better fit and finish then.

I just hope that this doesn't mean that Olds employees are getting sloppy now that Olds will be phased out. As you pointed out, it hurts GM's reputation and GM better watch it.

I regret to hear that you were unlucky with your Alero.
    While it will certainly not change your experience, I must say my experience has been nothing short of fantastic.

I went over my 2002 with a fine tooth comb, mostly because of the comments I hear about GM fit and finish. In all honesty, I could not find one sloppy or even slightly misaligned assembly point.

I did note that the rubber casters for the hood were not adjusted, but even more amazing was that the hood fit perfectly without them. Now that is a good fit, since the rubber casters are often used to compensate for hood misalignment.

For it's price point, the alero is world class. It's still early and things could change, but my experience seems to indicate that GM employees are not getting sloppy. Time will tell.
    Just changed my oil for the first time today and thought I'd share a few tidbits.

First of all, the 2.2 is well designed for easy maintenance. You can change the oil filter without spilling one drop of oil, and you don't need a filter wrench to remove it.

When you buy the filter, be sure it is intended for the 2002 Alero. When I bought mine, the directory did not yet list the 2002 alero, so I bought one listed for the saturn ecotec (9018). I had to return it today and exchange it for the Alero filter (9018R, it's now listed in the directory).

The saturn filter does not fit the alero filter screwcap (the part you remove to get to the filter). The two filters are almost identical, but the alero has a slightly larger top bore to fit the screwcap lid.

There has been some debate here about the oil capacity of the 2.2. The manual says 5.8 quarts, but others have said 4.5. I added oil until the dipstick read full, and it took 5 quarts. The drained oil measured out to 5 quarts as well, so we're not using a drop of oil!

I realize that most of you probably don't change your oil at home, but for those that do, the Alero is awesome!
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    By 32K miles the BFGs were horrible on the highway. Replaced them with Dunlop SP sport A2s.

See my post under the tires topic.

Anyone else experience this?
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Really? I don't know, I liked these tires so much that I actually replaced the OEM Michelin on my Stratus, which had the bad habit of aquaplaning over the smallest poodle, with BF G...