Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Motors Fans

1585960616264»

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 40,073
    I wipe my car with a spray detailer weekly, and generally dry it off every time it gets wet (car washes here are expensive and uncommon, the social engineers we've allowed to have their fingers on the button probably won't grant zoning for a new one these days). I never thought of Rain-X, but the spray detailer does a similar job, maybe just a little pricier. I also make my own car wash solution, using a large spray bottle. I get the car wet, apply the solution, then rinse and dry, right in my own garage. It works.

I wonder if frequent waxing and detailing would have slowed or stopped the failing paint issue had by many GMs and other domestics in the late 80s/early 90s, and on turn of the century Hondas.
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 1,799
    edited February 4
    fintail said:

I wipe my car with a spray detailer weekly, and generally dry it off every time it gets wet (car washes here are expensive and uncommon, the social engineers we've allowed to have their fingers on the button probably won't grant zoning for a new one these days). I never thought of Rain-X, but the spray detailer does a similar job, maybe just a little pricier. I also make my own car wash solution, using a large spray bottle. I get the car wet, apply the solution, then rinse and dry, right in my own garage. It works.

I wonder if frequent waxing and detailing would have slowed or stopped the failing paint issue had by many GMs and other domestics in the late 80s/early 90s, and on turn of the century Hondas.

I have used Meguiars spray detailer and thought it worked fine. I just happened to be out and filled up an old Windex bottle with Rain-X washer fluid I had and found it worked just as well. Perhaps I am wrong, but my thought was since washer fluid would often get the surrounding paint wet when the washers are used it must be safe on paint otherwise there would be complaints against the product.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

Yeah, the diluted Rain-X probably isn't dangerous. I wouldn't worry.

I also use Meguiars Quik Wax, which has a nice smell and makes the surface very slick. It doesn't last forever, but one can easily do a car in under 10 minutes.
    sda said:

I have used Meguiars spray detailer and thought it worked fine. I just happened to be out and filled up an old Windex bottle with Rain-X washer fluid I had and found it worked just as well. Perhaps I am wrong, but my thought was since washer fluid would often get the surrounding paint wet when the washers are used it must be safe on paint otherwise there would be complaints against the product.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 9,513
    The dealer put RainX on our Cruze before delivery, for free, and gave me a coupon for another free application in three months. I have to say, it seems amazing. No need to use wipers in a pretty good downpour.
    There's a Rain-X style product called Aquapel that does a similar, that is either sold at a high price via detail shops, or sold online for cheaper. It's more work to apply, I've bought it but seldom use it.

It rains a lot here, and wipers that judder or make noise drive me insane, so I want smooth silent operation. My windshield is usually treated with something.
    RE.: Waxing may have delayed paint delamination--I never had the issue, and I had a '90 Corsica in a metallic color I drove for 6 1/2 years and 108K miles and it sat outside, always. I do think certain colors did it worse than others though. I did wax my cars a couple times a year though, still do.
    I seem to recall white was a prime offender, falling off in patches to reveal grey primer. Dark colored turn of the century Hondas also can age poorly. I suspect wax helps a lot, most people never do it.
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 1,799
    My neighbor's '03 white Odyssey has paint that is starting to peel above the windshield. It has been kept outside most of the time and I doubt it has ever been waxed. There is a dark blue Odyssey of the same body style '99-04 that I see frequently that has peeling paint on all panels of the van. I don't know how many miles or any details. If it was me I would want to do at the minimum a cheap paint job if the car is in good mechanical shape.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 55,947

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 47,344
    Good news for the UAW.

Funny that you found this on the BBC news site, and not the Detroit Free Press or something domestic.

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 55,947
    I always go to foreign press first for my news.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 5,089
    I happened to get a new Malibu rental this week from Budget.

I'd have to say that I'm generally very impressed with the car. The interior is a sea of black with cloth dash inset (a nice touch), attractive layout. My only interior complaint would be a bit too much hard plastic. Also I don't really care for all black interiors but that seems to be the standard color everywhere these days. There was some chrome trim around the air vents.

The driving experience was very good - firm, rattle-free, quiet on the road with nice steering and brake feel. The engine seemed good as well, just a little bit coarse under acceleration. The car had auto start/stop and it worked pretty seamlessly. I had rented a BMW 3 about a year ago that also had auto start/stop and that car was a mess of vibration when the engine started. The Malibu was almost unnoticable in how effortlessly it seemed to start the engine when needed.

I also think the exterior of the Malibu is very attractive in a conservative way, the rear reminds me a bit of the Mazda 3 which I also find a nice looking car.

I was a bit surprised that the Malibu seemed fairly tight inside in dimensions as I thought it was a size class above the Cruze, but from my memory it doesn't seem to be much larger inside.

Overall a nice car and effort from GM, huge improvement from say 10 years ago.
    edited February 10
    I like the cloth on the dash. Even my new Cruze has that.

I think the rear styling of the Malibu is 3/4 Impala.

I mentioned earlier, I bought a new Cruze LT built in December 2016 for $11,895. I had a couple things the average buyer wouldn't have, but I am delirious about the car at that price, and it's a local product where I live.

I think one thing the Malibu should have, is a bright side molding like the top-level Impala has. Plain sides and no side molding of any kind available.

Impalas have gotten good reviews since day one of the current style, but aren't selling now. If I were buying a car just for me, I'd buy one. Friends have an '15 LTZ and love it, and I've been in it--it's a luxury car IMHO. I think it's too big for the average buyer and I know my wife would have dings all over it in no time. :)