Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

BMW 5-Series Sedans

1408409410411412414»

Comments

• I love the new 5 series and am considering a 550. Also considering an M56. One big issue for me is reliability. I currently have a GS430 and have not had a single problem with it for 95k miles. I know this may be hard to quantify, but any comments on the reliability of a new 550 vs. an M56 would be appreciated, or general reliability of BMWs. I'm thinking their record is not the best but not sure how to quantify.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,244
    I don't know what kind of shape your Lexus is in after 95K miles but I think you won't know how good a Fiver is until you've flipped the nines on the odometer. That's a round about way of saying that the BMW may give a few problems at first but will still be a sturdy reliable ride after the Japanese contemporaries have been melted down for razor blades

-E39 owner-130K and counting.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• ctlctl Posts: 129
    edited January 2011
    There is a reason they say trust advices from internet at your own risk... $5,500 is the fix my friend needed last year on his 2001 E39.
  • The current statistics on my 2002 530i (5 speed, sport package, European Delivered).

167744 miles, 26.6 MPG, 49.9 MPH average, $19,052.02 maintenance cost ($0.115/mile)
  • Are the issue HPFP resolve? Do they have other issues? Sales rep says no issues. Pls advise if need to stay away.

Thanks
  • sandytozsandytoz Posts: 1
    Shopping for a 1st car for my son, found a BMW530i 1994 automatic for under $1000. Was in a wreck with most of the damage on the passenger side front quarter panel/grille/bumper. Has brake problems, power steering issues, 199,000 miles.
    The kid has good taste & a job so I'm not worried about that, anything else I should be finding out about before we pull the trigger?
    Will it be a big deal finding parts so he can fix this car up?
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Posts: 308
    Wrecked car with bad brakes and steering. Wouldn't put my kid in it but YMMV.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 117,371
    Parts are likely to be fairly expensive..

Plus, the '94 530i is a V-8... Parts related to that engine are likely to be even pricier..

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• I'm in the process of buying my first 98 bmw 528i , 165000 miles on it from a private owner. All I heard about bmw's are : very expensive to maintain, expensive parts. Since I have a limited budjet so Im afraid that my will be new experience with bmw would dig some big holes in my pocket. I also have no idea about the car maintenance records, previous owner(S). Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated and helpful.
  • I'm currently driving a 96 nissan maxima who aren't in a good shape, plus some cosmetics problems. so should I stick with my it or go for the 98 528i?