Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Mountaineer Hesitation

rkohanrkohan Member Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in Mercury
I have a 2005 Mountaineer that will hesitate (hiccup) while traveling on the highway between 1000 and 2000 rpm's. I took it to the dealership and they said that the coil, plugs wires and transmission fluid all needed changed. I was at about 58000 miles when it began. I have had everything changed but the coil and the problem persists. It just seems like the ford dealership is replacing parts until eventually they find the problem. Seems like a waste of my time and money. I can replace parts myself with no labor charge. I half wonder if it is a transmission problem and not electrical. I do have a Ford extra care extended warranty with about 15000 miles left but it doesn't cover things like plugs and wires but it does cover the tranny. Any ideas?

Comments

• irishdanirishdan Member Posts: 3
    I have an 07 Merc Mountaineer. I was also having hiccup and power type issues. Took it to the dealer where I bought it and they said it needed injector cleaning, I know thats bull so took it to a Ford dealer they said tranny issue. They ended up having to speak with Ford HQ and figured out it was the tranny computer. The megatronics was replaced and solved all issues except hiccup. Upon return to Ford dealer they did a test and said ignition wire for plug 8 was bad and replaced it ($275 with test part and labor) and it runs fine. Of course had I not been under warranty I wouldn't have taken it to dealer and like you they said this isn't covered anyway. Do yourself and change ignition wires inspect plugs for issues and rule things out youself to save money. Also run a high end cleaner (BG44K) and eliminate injector from the list..
    Also along these lines anyone know when plugs, wires, distributor cap are supposed to be changed? I thought book said 60,000 my Ford dealer said 100,000 but like msg #1 said and like my plug 8 issues is 60,000 more realistic?
  • rkohanrkohan Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info but after the 6th trip to the dealer and approx. $1200 in repairs, unnecessary in my opinion, I gave up and traded the Mountaineer in for a used 2007 GMC Envoy Denali.
    yeah, if I have anything else go wrong I'm going to get rid of mine too.
This discussion has been closed.