Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• how can I reach you regarding the certificates you have referenced in post #3561?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,093
    I'm here to announce the new Chevrolet Malibu Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • to Karen (and Pat, who I'll bet had something to do with it), for getting the Club started. Actually, I misspoke earlier today. I believe it was Pat's idea to start a Club after I questioned the lack of the avalability of some discussions.

I'll be proud to be an active member; unfortunately, I'll be leaving town from tomorrow morning until late Sat., so I'll have to wait to figure this new stuff out.

I don't really know how this works since I'm a relatively new member, but my guess is that if we don't use the new discussions actively, they (automatically?) become read-only after a spell.

Also, I imagine that now that "us owners" can discuss our vehicle-related issues in other discussions, that this board can be used for prospective buyers to discuss the Malibu. Kinda funny that I fit in both categories.

Thanks again! I hope the new owner that prompted this does the same....
  • Hey, thanks for the interest in the certificates. These are the "GM in the Driveway" certificates that someone else provided a link to earlier.

Every time they extend this program, they send my wife and I new certificates since we both work at Fairfax. We really don't know anyone around here that could use them, and I figured I'd offer them to anyone out there since a lot of people that visit this board are shopping for vehicles anyways.

If anyone is interested, contact me via e-mail and I'll send you my address. These certificates are good until mid-March, and they allow the user to purchase any GM vehicle at the supplier discount (just slightly less than the GMS discount). On top of that, you can add any additional incentives.

Production of the Malibu and Maxx is going well. There is still no end in sight for all the overtime to meet the extra demand. The quality audits are showing impressive numbers too.

chevyguy657: I apologize for not replying sooner, because I don't check the website frequently enough. I'm 6'5" and I have driven my 04 Malibu for over 8 hrs on a single trip. I absolutely cannot drive with the front seat all the way back. That is how much leg room there is (and I'm mostly legs). My mother-in-law has ridden directly behind my seat several times, and she is about 6'.

In one of your comments, you mentioned that you looked at an LT, and the faux wood panel around the window switches was loose. I don't work in that part of the assembly, so I can't be positive that this is true of all Malibus, but my car does not have any faux wood panel around the window switches. Were you perhaps referring to a Classic, or was it indeed the 04 Malibu?

If so, please let me know.

Dave
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Would they work in Canada?
  • Hey Dave. Glad all seems to be going well.

Yes, the faux wood trim around the window switches on the driver's side was a bit loose. Perhaps the LS doesn't have the trim, but the LT does? Not sure; have only sat in LTs and one base. Didn't notice in the base.

The worse problem (this is a bit hard to describe, and I'm in a bit of a rush) was that the plastic trim which runs between the driver seat and the driver door (just in towards the seat from the strike plate) consists of two long pieces of plastic that fit together (lenghtwise). On this particular vehicle, there was a significant gap between the two pieces, and despite our attempts to get them to lock together, one of the 2 pieces had been cut too short (distance between the seat and door). It looked really bad, and would for sure have caught all kinds of dirt and grime, if not replaced (which I'm sure it was prior to sale).

Haven't noticed a single flaw in any of the others.
  • Thanks for your response. I would like to contact you about a certificate, but I cannot get your email from your profile. I am new to the board-is there another way to get your email?
  • Click on the member's name in blue (top of the member's post). I just did it for triedntru and it's there.

Stuck waiting for associates on a delayed flight. Dum de dum...
  • Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you! I really don't know about the certificates working in Canada. I'd recommend checking out that link that somebody posted a few back. That ought to give all the program details.

If you can't view my e-mail, it's [email protected]

Later,
    Dave
    Looks like the US only.

The girl that cuts my hair offered me a Ford friend/family discount card. Her husband gets a few a year so I may take her up on it. I like the Escape a lot.
  • but beware of numerous mechanical problems. Perhaps, an extended warranty would be a good idea
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,034
    The Ford Escape has problems? Then buy the Mazda version. The Japanese nameplate will mean that all problems magically disappear... ;-)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• I printed off your post, concerning the defects on the cars you saw in the dealership (loose faux wood panel on the door and the poor fit between the plastic pieces near the striker plate). I'll take this directly to the supervisors of the area and let them know that these customer dissatisfiers are getting out of the plant.

Now that you described it in more detail, I know what you're talking about. People can bash the design of the car, but that's really out of our control here at the plant. We just build what they tell us to build. The items that you described are the plant's responsibility, and I will take it upon myself to make sure the proper people are aware of these issues.

Thanks for your help.

Dave
  • I recently had to drive my employers 2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS sedan. The Malibu had only four-thousand miles on it, but driving it gave me flashbacks of an American sedan I owned years ago, a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim; plasticy & flimsy feeling interior, bouncy & jiggly ride, vague but constant "grinding" sensation in the drive-train, noisy & under-performing engine, and inconveniently placed controls (for example, the Malibu’s HVAC controls become blocked by its ridiculously tall transmission shifter.) However, my 1992 Acclaim had more comfortable seats, rather than the low, flat, unsupportive slabs in this Chevrolet Malibu.
    Driving the Chevrolet Malibu really helped me to appreciate the design, poise, and refinement of my own Honda Accord.
    orbit9090 : Ya.. that's the old Malibu. Drive a new one and then come back.

bcmalibu99ls : Two guys here in the office have late model Escapes and they have had no real issues. I know the early ones have some problems but I think they have all been ironed out. if the deal is there, I might grab one.
  • Hi,

I'm Bob in Richmond, VA. We have a 2001 silver Malibu LS we purchased new in June 2001. We currently have about 48,000 miles on it. Its been a pretty reliable car. Had to have the rotors replace just before warranty expired (no charge). Have had problems with front brakes making a squeaking sound when car is in gear and you press on the brake pedal. Squeaks even when you are at a full stop and you change pressure on the brake pedal without causing the car to move. Service dept said the caliper pins needed lubrication. Still occurs every now and then but not as much as before they were lubed.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    Are you kiding or asking for trouble? It's funny how people have different opinions about people, I guess the same applied to cars. I honestly don't know what you were talking about. Well, it doesn't matter. Enjoy your Accord.
  • Well, after racking up nearly 500 miles yesterday and today, the A/C is now kaput. Really kaput. Poor me, it was 83 today.

As you all know, last month it was brakes, big time. This is revenge for complaining about the new remote start likely burning out A/C compressors early in tropical climes. Bet it's the compressor.

So, I'll be racking up more GMPP expenses on Monday, so GM can raise the price of the Extended Warranty even further.

This car really IS a piece of junk, you know?

I posted a description of the exact problem in the new "Problems & Solutions" discussion, as appropriate.

I need a cot set up at my dealers.

Guess I'll see the Maxx sooner than I thought I would.
  • Dave, impressed with the action. I hope you're also able to pass on the accolades as well. I've sat in more than my fair share of new sedans, since I'm at the dealers monthly (see prior post).

At this rate, it's gonna be hard to go Chevy again, regardless of how good the new ones are, sorry to say.
  • (this calls for a celebration; sure took long enough)

Yesterday, while shuttling associates up and down "killer 95" in SE FL, amidst all of the ugly new Camcords (they are every other car, especially this time of year with all of our northern visitors here. Rarely see a current-model Accord out-of-season, but we still have a ton of Camrys, though), as I approached the Ft. Lauderdale airport exit, I noticed a silver Bu, with spoiler, in the far right-hand lane, about to exit at the airport. Never got close enough to see what trim level it was, or equally interesting, WHAT was driving it.

I do have to say this: the current Camcords are UGLY compared to the Bu. BUT the Bu ain't pretty compared to the '04 Grand Prix. I was surprised how many of those are on the highways down here (possibly rentals, though the Bu might have been one too, seeing the airport vicinity).

I'm not on the highway all that often in normal day-to-day activities.
  • Yesterday, on PBS' "MotorWeek", they revealed the 2004 "Driver's Choice" awards, with the Malibu receiving "Best Family Sedan" for '04. Special mention was also made of the Maxx, for its versatility in this segment.
  • My hands have more fingers than the number of new Malibu's I have seen on the road. And I live in Fairfax, Va close to Washington DC.

Chevyguy, are you kidding me. The Malibu is the most bland looking car I have ever seen. I know looks are subjective, but the Malibu is not going to win any beauty contest either. The only midsize cars that stand out are the Mazda6 and Nissan Altima.
  • '05 Malibu on the way. Just learned in the G6 forum that production of the '05 begins on June 14. I'm in shock. Guess there are design changes that need to be worked in.

Hopefully, triedntru can fill us in. Maybe we can request, civilly, please, some favors?

Yikes, I didn't count on THAT.
  • GM starts almost all of the 05 production in spring or summer. This is normal. 05 Vibe starts Apr 26th, CTS May 17th. I highly doubt there will be any major changes.
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Posts: 112
    Remember that the first 2 weeks of July GM pretty much shuts down its plants for switchover as well. I'm not too shocked by the Malibu because unfortunately it had a late production start last year. If it had been ready for, lets say, late spring/summer then the June date wouldn't seem so soon.
  • seen either a Chevy Colorado or a GMC Canyon on the road yet? Hummer H3 will be based on these two, so I'll be watching closely for quality issues and such
  • Has anyone experienced this?

Make: CHEVROLET
    Model: MALIBU
    Year: 1999
    Service Bulletin Number: 052203
    NHTSA Item Number: 10003658
    Summary Description:
    COMPLAINTS OF INTERMITTENT VEHICLE SHUTTING OFF WHILE DRIVING WITH NO MULTIPLE CODES SET. THE VEHICLE WOULD IMMEDIATELY RESTART. THE ACTUAL CAUSE OF THIS CONDITION WAS THAT OVER BUMPS THE MASS AND WEIGHT OF THE CUSTOMER'S KEY RING FORCES THE DASH MOUNTED KEY LOCK CYLINDER SWITCH OUT ITS SWITCH DETENT AND ALLOWS THE KEY TO ROTATE BACK FROM THE ON POSITION TOWARDS THE ACCESSORY POSITION. *TT
  • No, bc, I haven't had THAT one. Miraculous! Bizarre. I only keep a few keys on the ring, so maybe that's it.

I was under the impression that for models that aren't new or refreshed (Vibe being the latter), they start production after the July shut-down. Especially since the ramp-up of the '04 was carefully long&slow, I thought we wouldn't see the '05s in the showrooms until late Sept. or Oct. Now it looks like July.

I'm placing my bets that the reason for it is that they have listened and are going to make multiple running changes at one time ("UglyCloth" for one. Yippie!). We've seen nothing that would suggest mechanical problems that need fixing, right?

Under this scenario, it'd be an '05 for me. Maybe I'll nurse the old horse until Christmas time, a VERY GOOD time to buy.
  • "Just learned in the G6 forum that production of the '05 begins on June 14."

I don't know whether or not that date is accurate, but it is not too far out of line. I guess it depends on how you define "begins." Typically, full-blown assembly of next year's cars begin mid-July of the previous year. It takes about that long to fill the market by January.

The person may be referring to test builds that we start seeing trickle through the process around that time. In all honesty, it's typical.
  • Whew!

Yeah, the 6/14 "start" had me VERY alarmed. Not sure where the member in the G6 discussion got the info, but I don't question its reliability. Based on what you're saying, it could be the start of "trial runs". HOWEVER, the member in the G6 discussion also supplied a start date for G6 production of 8/14, which mimicks last years start date of 8/11 for the '04 Bu.

Sincerely, and very respectfully, are you "fessing up"?

You know me, very well, that I'm "holding tight" for some larger rebates come summer.
This discussion has been closed.