Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• hbund216hbund216 Posts: 162
    We got it today. They had the exact one that we were looking for. A LT in the medium gray without any options. We'll see how it goes.
  • has options? I thought it was loaded. What options did you skip?
  • hbund216hbund216 Posts: 162
    there is a package that gets one a sunroof, homlink and automatic dimming rearview mirror. Also skipped the 6 cd changer, XM, and On-Star. Love the color. I'm not driving it but hope to after it's broken in. There are minor fit a finish issues. But they are no worse than my 2000 Accord.
  • Just a quick post. Things have come up and right now I can't "waste" time posting. ;)

Yesterday, there was an '04 LT with sunroof and 3K miles in the local paper (being sold by a dealer representing a competing make, so I'd gather the purchaser didn't like it. Either that or it was full of problems). First used one I've seen (and have only seen one on the road so far as well). Price? $19,500, and I'm sure that could be negotiated down.
  • Hey guys,

I just saw the option list for the 05 Malibu sedans and Maxxes. Although I can't go into specifics, it looks like a lot of the options you guys are wishing for on the 04 will come true in 05 along with more option packages.

It looks like somebody is listening to the customer!

Dave
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Rumor has it Chevy will be upping the Ecotec displacement and power to be more in line with the current Accord/Camry/Altima 4 cylinder output. I thought using the stock Cavalier Ecotec this year was a bit wimpy. Personally, I'd welcome a sprightly four. Even the current four actually got superior handling reviews in one of the Big Three (Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Road and Track) write ups.
  • I wouldn't think that Dave ("triedntru") can reveal ANY info at this date, since it would discourage purchasers of the '04.

I'm still spinning my head over the fact that the '05 is due as soon as it is (to correct things that should have been introduced on the '04s). Now, don't want an '04, and rebates on the '05 will never get above $1,000, if at all, before late spring '05. I'm NOT keeping this "car" (if I can even call it that any longer!) past late Dec. (and that's pushing it).

I have too many other stresses in my life. Guess I'm leaving GM, for real this time. Onward, ho. So much for my screen name, huh?
  • Used current model year cars pop up all the time at auctions. Could be many reasons why it's for sale. Most likely the owner couldn't pay for it!
  • was a one-owner trade, and it was a Honda dealership, by the way.

I didn't go so far as to mention what I wanted to in that post, but I'll do so now. The depreciation is bad, real bad.

But, the Mazda3 5-door that now has my eye is apparently also going through the suspect first-year teething problems (brakes, PCM, airbag sensors). However, because Mazda handles rebates differently from GM, on that I could wait until Dec., get an '05, and get a rebate (too new for one now), plus a huge year-end discount on the deal. GM doesn't work that way lately. Big rebates are in the summer and fall.
  • Deperciation is bad of course if someone trades in after 6 months. Dealers get rich from people trading in often and emotional buying decisions.
  • Folks who keep their vehicles until they run them into the ground do have to consider resale, regardless. What if the vehicle is totalled prematurely?

For the record, I don't care what anyone says, but I don't think the '04 is selling worth diddly squat. 6 1/2 months into the model year, and even here in Camry-land, I should have seen more than ONE sedan (no Maxxes) on the road by now.

I have a new theory. Why cut the model year short? A completely new (and attractive) front end might be nice, to sell some cars. I'd forgotten about all of the complaints when the vehicle was first shown in Jan. '03. If that's the case, consider the '04s depreciation GREATLY accelerated.
  • I have just received your certificate, and I have driven both Malibu LS and Maxx this afternoon.
    I am not sure which one to get yet, but truly love Maxx's rear leg room. Since I am tall, 6'5 and 1/2; I really need the front leg room too.
    My local dealers do not have a Malibu without sunroof, so I will try one Sunday afternoon to see if a Malibu LS without sunroof is the best car for me. Thanks again.
    Fred
  • Triedntru, be so kind and do something to the conveyor, so that EPICA'S front is stamped to the Malibu. I can't believe that cheaper Epica has a much more attractive face. Incredible! Whoever designed the new Bu laid a HUGE egg. What were those designers thinking? Do you guys have no focus groups?
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,352
    I agree, the Malibu front end is no prize. But I just realized today that it is very, very similar to the new Toyota Sienna's front end. They look almost like they are from the same design family. I have not heard cries of anguish over that vehicle.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• bc: In Dave's defense, they just build 'em. I think that the car was basically done before Mr. Lutz arrived, and he OKd it because there was just no time to redo it and get a new Bu on the streets in a timely manner. I do agree, very definitely, about your focus group sentiment. Its not "Aztec-ugly", but not far from it. Me thinks, also, that Lutz is not happy with the car. He's ordered a redo of the Saturn ION for this fall, so why not the Bu's snout too?

ab: I agree with the similarity. But Honda and Toyota have such loyal followings that they can sell pretty much anything. Witness the current Accord and Camry. Neither would come close to winning a beauty contest.
  • The front face looks just fine, I don't know what all of the hype it about. I see a few Malibu's here and there. From the side angle it looks sharp, and from the front the car looks happy.

The interrior dash material is almost the same as the accord material. The car is really good. Do you see any gaps inside? Material pieces not fitting? No!

The car is less aggressive than I prefer, but I'm not the only onlooker. Its smooth, clean, and just plain happy with itself.

BTW it looks really good in black.
  • I guess you have seen a happy toad or two, cause I have seen none in my life :-)

I have seen a few new Bu's in Vancouver, and I drive very little. So, my guess is, Canadians are buying the new Bu's much more than Americans

As for the new Accord and Sienna, these are two butt-ugly vehicles. Toyota, like one automotive journalist has recently said, is "trying to out-ugly itself." How true! Toyota trucks and SUVs look fine, though. Go figure
  • "but I don't think the '04 is selling worth diddly squat" "no cars to be seen"

Remember when the 2000 Impala came out? It was a slow ramp up also. Now, it's a top 10 selling car.

I have seen a few here and there. Expecting it to sell 10K a month overnight is not realistic.
  • "Remember when the 2000 Impala came out? It was a slow ramp up also. Now, it's a top 10 selling car."

Yea, but it takes heavy incentives to cell them...
  • are in the rental car fleet, taxi fleet, and police service. Nice car with very high quality though. My only two complaints (drove it for 1 week) are horrible overboosted steering and gas
  • In mesaage #3679, you reference a dealer on the skytrain line that you were happy with, were you talking Expo or Millennium?

I'm VERY displeased with my dealer, (A wild dog like animal) and I'm looking for a dealer that can tell the difference between a lug nut and a spark plug.
  • by a mall which is by a Millenium station. The dealers' labor rates in GVRD are approaching 100 dollars an hour. For this amount, they better dance in front of us, not bark at us
  • deminindeminin Posts: 214
    I've seen at least 3 of the new Malibu's, and 1 new Maxx..I think..in recent weeks here is rural central Missouri. I stopped by the local Chevy dealer last week to get some touch-up paint, and the salesman said they had sold 9 Malibus and 2 Maxx's so far. That's pretty good for an area where pickup's are king. I would expect that sightings of these will be rare for quite some time when you consider that there are probable 150 million cars in the US, and only a few thousand Malibu's sold so far.
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Posts: 490
    I was shopping for cars with my dad and noticed a base Malibu (ecotec power plant) with 4 wheel disc brakes as an option (for around $70 I think). Is this a new thing? I thought the base models were disc drum?

My dad is now considering a base car as he likes all disc brakes.
  • njscribenjscribe Posts: 23
    I was amused that the first responder on the Yahoo website for Maxx owners said, "Buy this car! It is a babe magnet."
    Whatever the motivation, I am convinced that all the '04 Malibu models offer unmatched value, features and quality. This includes comparisons to the Camcord-things that are now selling for below invoice locally. My brother and his wife just bought a new Sienna LE, for which I don't blame them because GM doesn't yet make the best minivans.
    The new malibu and maxx represent the return of Chevrolet to the heights achieved back in the day. Find a good dealer and go.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 857
    Did anyone see the "Dateline" show last night on the "safety" or lack-there-of on the tested vehicles in reference to their respective bumpers? The 2004 Malibu did poorly. GM did not win any new customers as a result of that show. The other vehicles were not much better. The current standard for bumpers is 2 1/2 mph but should be the previous 5 mph standard. Some current vehicles are rated at 5 mph but I do not remember how to find this information. Does anyone know?
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Posts: 490
    I saw that show and it's actually not a safety issue at all, it's a cost of damage issue. Malibu's damage was second worst in the comparison next to the Acura TSX. They also mentioned GM is re engineering the bumpers so they will cause less damage.
  • In my 99 Bu, I rear-ended a Porsche (it was standing still and flew forward several feet upon impact) with no scratches (let alone dents) on either my Bu or Porsche. Then, I also rear-ended a standing Honda Odyssey - the Odyssey got a small dent, my Bu not a scratch. After that, I rear-ended a Corolla (it was slowing down), and had to pay 300+ Canadian dollars to repaint Corolla's scratched back bumper while mine, again, had not even a single scratch, let alone a dent.

Finally, I had a parking mishap, where I thought I had transmission on R, while it was on D. I hit gas, and Bu flew into a support beam. This time, the bumper did get scratched and slightly cracked in one place, and the radiator also got cracked and had to be replaced. Cost me about $1000 Canadian at the dealer to get it all fixed.

Methinks GM really cut some corners with the new Bu, in order to present a "loaded" vehicle at a very competitive price. Better not rear-end people like me!!!
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 857
    A number of years ago we had a DOT requirement that all new cars had to have a bumper that would survive a "minor" 5 miles-per-hour collision. This requirement was changed and it is too bad. Some manufacturers still make their bumpers to the old standard but most do not. As someone once said: "This is not brain surgery" referring to making a bumper survive a minor 5 mph crash. GM could have easily done it and now they are considering a bumper redesign for the new Malibu. Why did they not do it in the original design? They say that their vehicle meets all current Federal Safety Standards but why not make them better. The new Malibu was supposed to be a "new start" for much improved quality and design at GM but I wonder if it is really so. IMO.
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 613
    Watch that 'assured clear distance' thing. That's a lot of rear-ending! Who-whee!
This discussion has been closed.