Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• I researched the internet for like an hour and stumbled upon this website. I read pages and pages of potential problems with why the car wouldn't stay running - I even ran out a couple times to try to start it differently, and low and behold...

The 10 minute trick worked!! I put the key in the ignition, turn it to on (without starting it) and just let it sit like that for 10 minutes, turn it to off and pulled the key out. I inserted the key again to start and poof it start and stayed running!! I was scared to turn it off for fearing of having to sit there for another 10 minutes, but it started again and again.

I just hope it works from now on, but I think the anti-theft system must have kicked into gear, was able to start the car each time, but would not let me drive away??!!! Whatever it was, this 10 minute trick saved me $$$$. ;)
  • I bought my 2007 Malibu 4 cyl new in December 2007. At about 2400 miles I noticed a vibration or shake in the front end when I accelerate.. It happens at 15 mph regardless of shifting, usually after warmup.

This problem was not seen to occur on 2005 or 2006 models. They changed the motor mounts on the 2007 Malibu (although they may have done this on same late-model 2006 models). There is a GM Bulletin about this: 060601025 November 06 - (NHTSA Item Number - 10020726). In February 08 I visited a dealer who went through the "lower motor mount tightening procedure" and this had no affect and the issue is still there.

In June 08, I went to a second dealer, dropped off the car for service. They said that they drove it with the head mechanic and they swore they never felt anything (!?)

On my third visit (back to the first dealer) in October 08, the head of service noticed it, drove some 2005 and 2006 versions and they did not shake. He found another 2007 model (from their Enterprise Car Rental affiliate) and it vibrated too. He called GM and they are aware of it but there is no official recall and they won't approve the dealer to replace anything. They gave the the stock answer of "This is how this powertrain will likely operate." I left disgusted. No one wants a new car that shakes. I can drive cars with 150,00 miles on them that don't vibrate!

I contacted the national Chevy customer service center and they pushed the issue up to another level. After 5 days (!) they called me back, (because of a weekend and they called an incorrect number) to keep repeating that this may be a "characteristic" of the vehicle. I said no, it's a DEFECT. He wanted me to go to a dealer for the FOURTH TIME. I said for what? He kept insisting and I requested a loaner which he balked at. After contacting the local delaer to arrange it he came back and said that the service manager said another visit will be a waste of everyone's time if GM doesn't approve of replacing any parts.

The customer service rep said a final decision will be made next week by the local GM rep. When I asked for a summary of my calls and visits, he refused.

What are the chances that they will offer a buy back? Have any of you, or your friends, had to deal with the automaker via the Better Business Bureau or with a Lemon Law attorney? I've heard bad things about both but If they don't repair the car or offer a buy back what is my next step? How do I prepare?

Any help is appreciated and Happy New Year everyone!

Regards,

Sneakyuser
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 318
    I just read the review in Car & Driver of 4 Hybrid sedans. The Malibu came in dead last. It looks like GM has built another loser. They called the interior "dollar store plastic" that surprised me considering the raves here on the interior.

The Ford Fusion won it over the Camry and Altima hybrids.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Ya.. I saw that. It's bizarre as the Malibu interior is 1st class.

The hybrid system is not great I know but it's really a stupid comparo, Chevy's system doesn't compare to these. That is a known fact.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 879
    But it is only 3 mpg more over all, and cheaper.
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    C & D also did a comparison that included tax rebates into the cost and the Saturn Aura came out as the best value.
  • I have a 2006 Malibu LT with 75000 miles. I hear a roaring noise in the front that sounds like mud tires. I replaced all 4 tires and I still hear the roaring. It only roars when I reach about 40 mph plus. Can someone help me diagnose this problem? Thanks!
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    It might be the cv joints
  • 04cad04cad Posts: 131
    Just curious if you are still following this thread, what size engine did your 98 have? Our 98 has the v6 and with over 154,000 miles, still has enough pep to make it very fun to drive. Regular oil changes and normal maintenance items for the most part. It doesn't use enough oil between changes to notice and still rides and drives great. Just wondered if maybe you had the four banger and were used to a large motor? I know I notice a big difference when I drive my daughter's four cylinder vehicles after being used to my v8 Silverado.
  • 04cad04cad Posts: 131
    I would also guess CV joints or bearings.
  • rvothrvoth Posts: 147
    Sounds like it could be the bearing in the front spindle housing , which your CV joint goes through. A CV joint makes a clicking sound at low speed when turning the wheels and gets louder the farther you turn the wheel. Have a mechanical mind person look for cracks in the boots and for any grease escaping from the CV boot. Check that the spindle to the CV drive line hasn't any play in and out or side to side.

Sorry i didn't pick up your post earlier.
  • We will miss the 2004 LT just like another poster who moved up to the new one. The 200hp V6 and 4 speed tranny provided a low of 23 and a high of 36 mpg's. For a first year GM and even with a couple of problems it was great and should be enjoyed by the new owner. For the lack of a three car garage and a back that couldn't drop down into the seat, it gave its value as a trade in on a new JK Rubicon.
  • petranellepetranelle Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2009 Malibu from Bradshaw, Greer, SC. It was a completely satisfactory experience. The dealership was very clean and neat. Sally Hartz, the sales person was delightful to work with.

All in all at 10 all the way around.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Congrats!

I love my 08 Malibu.7 months of enjoyment and counting.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 2,354
    For those of us who have concerns about how the GM bankruptcy will affect us in terms of warranties, recalls, rewards program, parts and resale value let me refer you to http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/02/your-money/02consumer.html?ref=business

This New York Times article is written in an easy to understand question and answer format and addresses most of the corncerns one may have. Here is an example:

Q. My OnStar contract is up for renewal in a few weeks. What is the effect of the G.M. bankruptcy on On-Star? — Ellen, Palos Park, Ill.

A. G.M. says that there will be no impact on OnStar service, and that subscriptions will remain in place. Given that this service is, arguably, one of the best products of any sort that the company has come up with in the last decade or two, there’s little chance that it’s going away or changing much.
  • rbnelsonrbnelson Posts: 2
    I have the same noise that starts at 40 mph and I replaced tires also. The car has 54,000 miles and I still have the noise. Did you get yours solved? If so, please post results.
  • cpete1993cpete1993 Posts: 3
    Well I found out it was some bearings worn on one of the arms on the front end. They replaced the arm and the noise went away. The mechanic said that the car would have run fine with the noise, but it was too much for me, so I let them replace it. I can't remember the proper name for the part, but they changed it in about 30 min.

Hope this helps.
  • rbnelsonrbnelson Posts: 2
    I found out mine was the front passenger side wheel bearing, a $350.00 repair at the dealer.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    unfortunately the malibu uses a sealed hub..thus you have to replace the entire assembly vice repack the bearings like you use too.....prices range from $125 to $200 for the assembly based on the manufacturer and aftermarket source....then labor on top...and a wheel alignment as well.....
  • sean74sean74 Posts: 18
    I have a 2005 Malibu about 48k miles. Chevy dealer told me that I need transmission flush, induction service, and mass air flow cleaning. Here is the price list,

Transmission flush: $206
    Induction service: $154
    MAFC:$88.

Are those service necessary, are those prices reasonable???
    Thank you very much for your advice.
  • My friend I would get a second opinion. Why would you need a transmission flush with only 48K miles? I have 93k miles on my 2006 Malibu and have never had ANY of those things done to it. And the car runs great.

Is your car running bad or something? I'll take it to someone else before I shell out that kind of cash.

That's just my opinion though.
    Cedric
  • sean74sean74 Posts: 18
    I just changed rear brake pads of my 2005 Malibu. As of today I have changed rear pads twice. One at 22k, and toady at 48k. I was very upset.

I bought it in August 2005. In November 2007, I changed rear pads because one of a pair completely worn out while others looked like new. Chevy dealer didn’t explain what was wrong. I strongly suspected that something was wrong. Today, they told me that it needs change again because they are almost worn out. For safety reason I changed them. But they still did not give me a satisfying explanation. They just told me it is normal.

Thank you very much for your advice on this matter.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    At least it does not seem to be sticking when you apply brakes, but it could impact braking performance when you need it most.
    There is definitely something wrong and it sounds like you have a sticking caliper. One pad of a pair would indicate such and it will likely be the one opposite the piston. Post back if you know otherwise.
    That constant drag will hurt MPG and likely damage the rotor, depending upon how severe it is dragging and generating heat. If it is quite bad, at night you should be able to detect a reddish glow on the rotor. If it is that bad, you could be damaging other parts in that area such as a wheel bearing.
  • I need to know where the drain plug is on the radiator and upon which hose I need to connect the flush system.
    L Krotzer
    I would look on the driver side down low and on the side toward engine.
  • What brand and model Scan Tool did you use to clear the PASSLOCK DTCs? I did the resistor bypass on my 2003, 3.1L Malibu. The Theft System light is constantly lit and the car starts every time, even after disconnecting the battery.
  • awil28awil28 Posts: 13
    Hey everyone i could really use some help ive been trying to fix my sisters car and im stumped. we bought the car with a 3.4l in it from a chevy venture, it had overheating problems and suspected head gasket failure w/ no oil coolant mix. I have replace the following; head gaskets, head bolts, heads were resurfaced and a shim was added with head gaskets, upper and lower intake gaskets, throttle body gaskets, injector o-rings, spark plugs, plug wires, oil change and filter, thermostat, cooling system flush, power steering pump, air filter, fuel filter, and fuel pump along with some other things like tires and rotors and brakes but those wouldnt cause the problems. after all that work was done and the car was reassembled it will just crank all day but wont start, there is no fuel pressure but there is spark and proper compression. the relay under the hood clicks but neither the old pump or the new one makes any noise and the there is no power at the connection. i was looking around and came across all of the complaints about the passcode theft system and it deactivating the pump and injectors. my theft light is on and it stays on and does not blink. i have tried the ten minute reset thing and i tried the resistor bypass thing, and the car still only cranks and will not start. anybody have any help at all they can offer ill answer any other questions you might have. thank you for any help,
    p.s im not 100% sure i did the bypass correctly im a little foggy on adding the values of the resistors up.
    The injectors have power all the time on run, the security system cuts ground in the PCM after it starts, like will run for 2 seconds.

With pump relay removed there should be at least one 12 volt feed to one of the 4 relay contacts with key on run. If not check fuel pump fuse for 12 volts in and out.

I like to use a 12 volt test light for this, cheap to buy.
  • ahoser13ahoser13 Posts: 6
    We just bought my wife a brand new 2011 1LT Malibu. I can't stand the headrests on the front seats constantly touching the back of my head. Why do the headrests come forward so far ? I can't get seat adjusted in such a way that this doesn't occur. Any suggestions ? Thanks, AWB
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 299
    The internet (but not car magazines) is full of spy photos of the "2012" Malibu but nothing on "cars to come" articles. If this car is supposed to come out in the summer of 2011 then they should be building them but you can still order 2011 models. Does anybody know what the deal is with this redesigned Malibu on a shorter wheelbase? I definately won't consider it. A shorter wheelbase may impact the ride and the 2011 rides fine. I'm about to order a 2011 LT2 later this month.
This discussion has been closed.