Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rodeo bad vibration in rear between 30 & 37 MPH

darth_venomdarth_venom Member Posts: 43
edited July 2014 in Isuzu
I have a 1992 Rodeo 4X4 V6 3.1 L Engine LS Model. My problem is that when I take off from a stop and get to near 30 MPH accelerating through to around 37 MPH I experience a heavy vibration that seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicles right side. Also, the vibration will persist while driving between 30 & 37 MPH even while coasting but not quite as bad. The vibration seems to subside and quit after passing 37 MPH and only comes back while between these speeds. I checked the driveshaft U Joints and CV joints and they are tight. I also thought maybe one of my tires has thrown a wieght sending it out of balance but both rear tires and wheels seem OK. My shocks are old and need replaced and the vehicle does have 271,000 miles on it. Can anyone give me an idea on what's causing this? It just started about a week ago and I'm afraid of being stranded as I'm disabled and on fixed income and can't afford to take it to a shop.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have a look at Mazda CX-9 Resonant Vibration. It's a different make and model but the symptoms seem somewhat similar. In any case, it sounds like some kind of resonance problem.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • darth_venomdarth_venom Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for your reply. I had a look at the posts you suggested and while this is similar to my problem, My problem is coming from the rear or rear end of my Rodeo. It almost feels like to me the rear end is 'hopping' up and down between 30 & 37 MPH (I'll check my tachometer when I go out to the pharmacy tomorrow and post the RPM range). The problem doesn't seem to be RPM related. Could a really bad shock do this? I'm the vehicle's second owner and am friends with the original owner I bought it from. He tells me he has never replaced the shocks and neither have I in the 5 years I've owned it. I have found out CV joints & U Joints were replaced shortly before I bought the vehicle. The vibration also is more pronounced on the right (passenger) rear side.
    Thanks for your comments and ideas.
    Does anyone know if bad motor mounts could be causing my vibration problem?
    Thanks in advance
    Thanks everyone for reading and your suggestions. I think the problem is in the Driveshaft Center Support. Parked and in neutral I can physically move the shaft up and down almost an inch easily and I'm not that strong. If anyone knows of a cross reference for this part it would really help.
    Again, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.