Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Buick Regal

1106107108109110112»

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,316
    edited January 2018
    VATS system just keeps the car from cranking and prevents the injectors from working IIRC.
    My understanding is that it's only checked for cranking at start. It does NOT turn off car after
    the car is running. Often they'll turn the security light on and then off while driving as a hint the
    system is not working right. But eventually you'll turn the key and nothing but a flashing light on
    the dash saying security for 3-4 minutes.

When mine in 98 Buick failed, I could turn the key slowly going from step to step and let it have time
    to read the chip in the key and think before I turned to START and it would work.

Also might be worn contacts in the ignition switch--not the lock cylinder part--the little box that
    has all the contacts for ignition power and crank and power to accessories. It's moved by a little
    wire rod from the key lock. It's on top of the steering column just behind the gauges and can be
    access with small hands or/and dropping the column slightly. Check on the power lead to the
    ISC to determine if you're getting power there when the car quits. Usually a CPS takes about
    30 minutes to cool and the magnetic field to strengthen to activate the trigger signals. The ignition
    switch often breaks contact when hitting a bump or turning and it moves the worn/corroded
    contacts that are moved everytime the car has been started for 23 years. The brass wears.

I would suspect the CPS which was already replaced. Is this one that's adjustable in positioning and
    you're supposed to use a "tool" to get it in the right position between the two rings on the backside of
    the harmonic balancer? Or was that the 93 that was the last year for that?

I'd take a close look at the connectors for the CPS along with the wires looking for breaks inside the wire
    due to flexing and look at the wiring coming to the ISC module that's under the coils.

CPS doesn't give trouble codes usually. I believe the 94 requires a code reader and IIRC the connection is a hybrid between the current one and the earliest. I believe there was a special cable to adapt. Search for 94 buick pontiac and reading codes cables, etc..

I used to have a bookmark link to a troubleshooting sequence for the ISC that allowed determining if the two separate rings on the harmonic balancer were getting the signals through to the ISC, the 3 and the 18 IIRC. This can be done with a volt ohmmeter as long as the engine cranks. Good for checking a fickle CPS or replacement along with the wiring and corrosion inside the contacts in the connector.

IF I find that I'll post the link.

EDIT: I found it.
    It looks like it's been updated from the pictures I remembered.

Good luck.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_ignition_3800/test_ignition_module_4.php

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT