Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently tried to lease a vehicle again after your last lease ended, and found that average monthly payments have gone so far up that you decided to get a cheaper vehicle with a lower monthly payment or purchase a used car?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you about it. Please reach out to [email protected] by Thursday, October 18, 2018 telling us a little about your experience, and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Toyota Tacoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• richbf2richbf2 Posts: 73
    MY 02 TACOMA HAS BEEN VERY LOYAL TO ME. I HAS BEEN RUNNING WELL AND GIVING ME NO PROBLEM. I HAVE PUT 45K ON THIS BABY, BUT HAVE NOT DONE ANY MAJOR TUNE UP EXCEPT FOR REGULAR 3.5K OIL CHANGE. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO KEEP IT RUNNING GREAT? PLEASE ADVISE.
    I USE 5W30 IN WINTER AND 10W30 IN SUMMER. IS THIS OK FOR THE ENGINE? PLEASE ADVISE. my e-mail is [email protected]
    THANKS IN ADVANCE
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Don't you have an owner's manual? If not, maybe someplace on toyota.com would have that.
  • bb_lintbb_lint Posts: 4
    I hit on the driver's side and rolled all the way over, resting on the passenger side. Pushed it back over, knocked out the windshield, and had my buddy pull it 13 miles to my house. The insurance gave me top dollar, so I am waiting on the check now. I thought about buying it back to part it out or something. I think I still have the option. I really like the 05's though. Not to happy about the low gas mileage
  • brodeyobrodeyo Posts: 26
    Hi all. I just wanted to share some info I received back from the dealer. During acceleration, I've heard some fluttering/ticking sounds in the engine of my '05 tacoma. It turns out that they have switched the timing belt back to a timing chain because it's more efficient. I guess I should have looked... The noise you hear is normal, but they have gotten a lot of complaints about it. I was instructed to call into the 1-800 customer service number and voice my opinion about it. I apologize if this has already been covered in this forum.
  • gregztergregzter Posts: 1
    ref 34, 35, 36, 48. Mine is doing it too... Before reading all of these I was told by the dealer it is not driveline. Well I gotta disagree. I had mine lubed and did everything I have read in here and it is still doing it. Ok. since I never see answers about this and only questions, here is another question/s. What is it, where is it, how do you stop it or fix it and is it causing ir-repairable damage? Would be nice to see some answers. Thanks.
  • wes240wes240 Posts: 33
    bb, sounds like your truck took a bit more of a lick then my buddies. He just rolled on the driver's side and ended up on the roof. It was a very very slow roll, seemed like it happened in slow motion. As I've said, he didn't even bother with insurance due to fears of a huge rate increase. He still drives it almost everyday and it runs pefect. I've driven it too. I'm going to guess he has put about 50,000 miles on it since he rolled it. I'd consider buying it back, but of course that depends on price.
  • jenxjenx Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any opinions on the Diamond-Kote protection for a new vehicle. Is it just a waste of money?

(I am buying a new Tacoma in a couple of weeks, and the dealer is pushing Diamond-Kote)
  • maxvenummaxvenum Posts: 39
    I am not familiar with Diamond-Kote. If it is some kind of rust protection or something similar as I assume, it is most likely a waste of money. That is one of the places dealers are able to make a significant amount of money.
  • rachunterrachunter Posts: 21
    I have a 2001 tacoma with off road package and I'm looking at a 2005 with the off road. I keep hearing about the paint chipping.
    This is not a new issue on the 05 model trucks, my 01 had the same problem until I fixed it.
    I bet no one is having this problem behind the rear wheels... just the front. The way I fixed mine was to extend the front flaps out and down. If you will take a 8 or 10 foot piece of rope and lay it down the same direction of the truck and pull your truck onto the end of the rope so it is just under the outside of one of your front tires, get out of the truck and grab the other end of the rope and hold it up (this will show you the path that any rocks or dirt that you run over will take) if you modify you flaps so that the rope will not come up to the body panels without touching the mud flap there will be no more chips. It may be a little different for the 05 model but the principle will be the same. On my 01 the front flaps kind of lay back at highway speeds so you have to allow for this..
    I hope this makes sense...I know what I'm talking about but its hard to put into words LOL
    Try this and see if you can stop the chipped paint.
  • My brand new '05 Tacoma long bed (available with an automatic transmission ONLY) has a stick shift instrument panel! Go figure. There are NO transmission PRND123 selection lights in the cluster. So my wifey doesn't know what gear the truck is in! Now Enterprise Car Rental is going to pick up some business, Toyota is going to ship out a new instrument cluster and have their service department install it correctly, foot the bill for the whole thing, and the dudes at THREE Toyota Quality check points who missed this SNAFU are going to hear the fat lady sing.

And to think: this one was built in Fremont, California.
    Other than that, this truck is a real beaut!

B
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    That's it.I've been reading the posts on the 05 Tacoma for months now and that's it. Your post is the final straw. I am not buying the 05 Tacoma.
    Can anyone with the Access Cab 4x2 SR5 Power Package tell me their likes and dislikes about their truck? And, any problems that have occured?

Thanks.
  • leob1leob1 Posts: 153
    Found out that my 05's VIN number came up as "X-Runner" on a dealers database. I have an 05 PreRunner w/6 speed. Nobody seems to know why.
  • Leob1,

I have to chime in here on this one: 7 years ago my Ford Explorer had a VIN for an Expedition. I found out later that my insurance company was charging me in insurance coverage for the Expedition! I would check back with your insurance agent and ask him what HIS or HER policy shows. They USE the VIN and not common sense.

B
    Thanks for the input. I will certainly check with my insurance agent. However, I did call Toyota and the VIN number came up correctly with their database.
  • In Canada, Diamond Kote supplies several products but primarily paint, upholstery and rust protection. With regard to the first two, it is up to you. For myself, I prefer to wax and clean my own truck. With regard to the rust protection. Steer Clear. Diamond Kote is an external only (they do not drill and enter doors, wheel wells, etc.)product that hardens and coats exposed surfaces. Great in theory until the coating is breeched by a stone or body movement and then water and/or salt enters the break. You now have moisture being held in place by the rust coating. In all cases, this type of product will allow rust to proliferate on unprotected metal and in effect, you have less protection than if you went without this product. You are much better off with a wet oil product that is sprayed yearly on all inner and outer surfaces. We have Rust Check in Canada. I'm not sure of your location, but would be willing to bet that there is a similar product available in your area. My mechanic loves the stuff because exposed and hidden parts remain workable even after a vehicle is 10+ years old. Take it from me,and I live in Nova Scotia which must be the salt capital of the world, wet oil is the only way to go. I've tried a lot of the coatings that harden and set up and all they do is to hold the water and salt against the metal. Go wet or don't bother. Hope this helps.
    I wonder if that noise is being confused with detonation. I think at the high rpm range there is a slight noise from that chain, but I haven't noticed at other ranges.

The latest Motortrend report on the TACO 05 DC 4x4 5A 0-60 time was 8.7 seconds. I've seen at least 3 other reports of the same truck being more than a full second faster. What is going on?
    Thank you upppervaughans. I live in Kelowna, British Columbia, and will be moving to Vancouver Island.

I will look into Rust Check.
  • rthomprthomp Posts: 1
    My 2004 Tacoma has only 4500 miles. I took it to the dealer for its first scheduled maintenance. I asked them to check out the brakes, as the brake pedal felt squishy at times. At a stop, with a little more than the normal foot pressure, the pedal would depress all the way to the floor. Also, when braking, coming off a freeway ramp for example, some sort of shudder would sometimes be transmitted to the brake pedal and the pedal would depress erratically for a second or two. After checking it out, the dealer said that the master cylinder was defective and would replace it. That fix only lasted a week. I took it back, they did more work, including replacing the front pads and smoothing the disks, and some other work which they did not describe on the invoice. I picked it up in the morning. It seemed fine. By late afternoon, coming down my driveway -- it's a short downhill -- and braking, the pedal reacted as before: some grinding or abrading could be felt through pedal, it depressed erratically, and once at rest, the pedal could be pushed to the floor. Anyone else have similar problems or know of any solution?
  • hickboyhickboy Posts: 3
    That noise that your hearing is the exhaust. The V6 has shorty header style exhaust manifolds and you can basicly hear what sounds like an exhuast leak under load. Its just the sound that it makes. Nothing to worry about.
  • Has anyone had problems with their Tacoma using oil? I had the truck to the dealer yesterday because I noticed that it was using oil at a rate of a half quart to full quart between oil changes. The told me that this usage was within normal specs which I find hard to believe. It is a 2003 Double cab with 34,500 miles on it.
  • Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo are the best tires I have found for the 4x4 Tacoma. If you check http://www.tirerack.com they are the highest rated off road tire. A good price too compared to other brands.
  • brodeyobrodeyo Posts: 26
    I have two questions about a v6 4x4 to put out there to you guys.

1)Is anyone else experiencing soft breaks with their '05 Tacoma? I don't have to push the breaks all the way down to the floor, but it seems it takes a little more to stop this thing than tapping...

2)Is anyone else experiencing a slight jerking action as the automatic transmission is trying to shift into 1st from 2nd when coming to a stop? It's nothing violent, but is noticed. Kind of like the truck is trying to downshift, but it is going too fast to get it into gear. No noise though....

Thanks in advance.
  • The dealer replaced my instrument panel with the automatic shift diagram in the fuel gauge. My long bed came with a stick shift instrument panel installed at the factory. So I had no way of knowing which gear my automatic was in. It is fixed and it looks fine.

However, I also have a problem with the security alarm going off for no reason. Last Thursday night it went off at 1 and 2 AM! Saturday it went off 4 times in the later AM. Turned it in to the dealer to do the instrument panel change on Monday. They have had my truck for three days and reported to me that they had no problems. Brought it home tonight and just now at 8 pm the alarm went off again. So basically, it can go off anytime any place. I am going to include the temperature which is 38 degrees along with the time in my observation in case that may have anything to do with it. The service manager called this in to Fremont and they assigned it a case number. So they will now check back on this. I recommended to the service manager that they gut the system and give me a new one. Then install this one in the head honcho's Lexus and let old Shemp Howard experience this first-hand. That way the alarm will wake up his dogs and drive his neighbors crazy.

FEDEX the Frankenstein alarm back to Fremont to take it apart for analysis. If they want an answer, they won't get it by leaving it in my truck.

And if papa ain't happy--ain't nobody happy.

B
  • cabmancabman Posts: 2
    I would appreciate some advice on the approach to replacing the standard antenna on my 98 Tacoma-PreRunner. I had some help from the local carwash, and I cannot get the broken stud out. I don't see any access that looks reasonable. Hopefully someone has done this and can offer suggestions so that I don't take the wrong approach.
  • john45john45 Posts: 18
    Hey,

is this a problem with all 05 automatic transmissions?
    I have a v6 4x4 '05 automatic Taco with 650 miles. And I have to exert pressure on the brake pedal as well. I haven't heard anything yet on this issue. I also agree with you on number 2, but I can hardly notice it.

John
    I just noticed that our truck has Power-assisted ventilated front disc brakes (dia., in.) 12.56 and 4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist [2] this might explain the soft brake issue
  • msibillemsibille Posts: 275
    Most mfrs consider anything less than a quart in 1000 miles to be "normal", particularly with the lower viscosity oils specified thesed days (i.e. 5w30). Some even say up to a quart in 600 miles.

I feel that a full quart of consumption in a 1000 miles or less is a bit on the high side, particularly once an engine has broken in, but you won't find a mfr that will initiate repairs just because of oil consumption at that level. OTOH 1/2 to 1 qt in 3k or more is not unreasonable at all. This is why oil should be checked frequently. Mfrs will often say w/ every fillup, I try to do it at least every 2 or 3 fillups, and before leaving town for out of town trips.

Make certain that you are checking the oil with the vehicle on a level surface. (Many filling stations have concrete floors that are sloped for drainage.) Also, if you are not changing the oil yourself, make certain you check the level immediately after an oil change, some shops don't prefill the filter (a personal peeve of mine), and once the engine is started, as much as 1/2 qt may fill the filter. If they don't recheck and fill to the full line, then you may be starting a bit lower than you assume. (Note, the "full" mark is a not to exceed level. It doesn't have to be at that level, though admittedly, I generally try to keep it very near. The closer you are to that mark, the more oil there is for cooling, though anywhere in the acceptable range should be good. Don't overfill, however, as that can result in foaming.)

I think you can rest easy, but check your oil frequently as normal preventative measure.
  • Thanks for the advice. I just haven't had a vehicle that needed any oil between changes. I have been lucky to have tight engines.
This discussion has been closed.