Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pickup trucks and snow plowing.

padraigpadraig Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Toyota
I currently own an '89 Toyota 4X4 and am considering buying a larger pickup truck, most likely a "recent" used Ford. I would like to have a snow plow with it and would like any input on what make would be best for plowing. I would most likely only be doing driveways and maybe some small lots, but there is always the possibility of doing city streets. Any input and personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays!!!!!!

Comments

• ldh2ldh2 Member Posts: 10
    I SUGEST YOU GO A BOSS SNOWPLOW. HAD ONE FOR 3 YEARS NO PROMBLES. GOOD LUCK
  • padraigpadraig Member Posts: 3
    I own a 1989 Toyota 4X4 short bed pickup and am interested in putting a plow on it. It would only be for doing my driveway and possibly some others along with small lots. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has done the same and what their experiences are. If you haven't had any experience but would like to offer some advice that would be appreciated also. Happy New Year to everyone!!!!!
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    ...this should start something!
  • kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    We have been plowing snow in New Mexico with an old 1951 Jeep, 4-cylinder engine - granted built like a small tractor. But, yours might work OK - short is probably better and the Toyota was always built to handle normal than average conditions. Not sure if I would hire it out, but you might be surprised how well it will do for a long time on a limited basis.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    all the Tundra fans here....Toyota is an awesome truck even more capable than an american full size 1 ton!....so it should be awesome.....right?

should be the same for an older Toy as well..

Good luck on this one now!

- Tim
  • justtheonejusttheone Member Posts: 403
    That one is sure goin bust quick now. Them big3 ones is the ones for that type of workin now. Best leave that plowin too a "full size" one, them the ones too get that job done right. Good luck on this one now!
  • padraigpadraig Member Posts: 3
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    I just posted about seeing a Tundra with a plow and a salt sprinkler attached to it. Didn't witness it at work though. Looked odd having the 'work truck' look ;o)
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    For a snowplow, I'd recommend SnoWay. They're the ones you see with the clear blade. While it is lighter and easier on the front end, it has hydraulic down-pressure to ensure the blade scrapes clean. Of course, they have a whole line of great plows. Just depends on your needs. For a truck, I'd go with an older 3/4 ton Ford or Chevy. No sense in beating up a newer truck.
  • mattbromattbro Member Posts: 1
    I have a chevy s10 4.3 I use for driveways, its equiped with a myers electric and it has worked great for me for 4yrs. I have recently bought a 2000 dodge dakota 4.7 extended cab and am looking for the best plow that best suits my truck. Would greatly appreciate any help or feedback...Thanks!
  • minx50minx50 Member Posts: 7
    I live in Maine, and am a 5'4" single woman - I have a 7 1/2 ft Fisher Minute Mount plow, and I put the plow on and off by myself. It works great -- wouldn't recommend anything else!! I do have a rolling snowplow platform dolly and the plow is stored in the garage - so that helps.
  • dunkmydonutdunkmydonut Member Posts: 35
    After breaking my back last winter with the snow blower, I've decided to invest in a snow plow pick-up. Since it's just for my own driveway, I'm on the fence about what to get, an old beater that still runs good, and use it mostly for snow, or trade my van in for a new one and get my [non-permissible content removed] bounced around town all year, not to mention the hassle of removing the plow between storms. Any advice from you veterans of the snow wars will be welcome.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Hire some neighbor kid to do it for you

Save you alot of money
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I definately wouldn't trade the van for a truck and get bounced around all year. I can tell from you're sentence that you will hate it and will feel forced into it. Do what ryan said or hire someone to come in and do it for you. Like he said, you will be $ ahead.
This discussion has been closed.