Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• rayj30rayj30 Member Posts: 3
    Hey all,

I bought my 2002 GT in April of this year, and I'm happy to report I've had zero problems with it. It runs great and even my friends (who hounded me for buying a Hyundai) have told me what an awesome buy it was.

Anyway, I am nearing 3500 miles now on my car (take the metro to work, so I don't drive much except for the weekends), and from reading some earlier posts on this board, it's coming time for me to go in for that first oil change. I read that Hyundai's have certain additives in the oil when you first buy the car, and that they recommend you don't change your oil until 3500 miles...so that's why I've waited until now.

However, after reading all of the stripped oil pan horror stories, I'm wondering where I should go to get my oil changed. Should I head to Jiffy Lube (which does great jobs, usually) or go to the dealer? Should I make sure I tell them (whoever I decide on) to watch the drain plug and oil pan when changing the oil? And should I also tell them to make sure they only fill up with 3.5 quarts?

Also, recently...I've noticed a clicking noise that occurs about every 10 seconds after I'm done driving and turn of the engine. Anyone else notice this and know where it's coming from? Is it a problem?

Anyway, thanks in advance. Any help would be great. =)
  • saber86saber86 Member Posts: 128
    take it to the dealer where you purchased the vehicle. Most dealers give one free/paid oil change. why pay again when you already paid for that first oil change when you bought the car. :)
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    Just another option.

http://www.holmesauto.com/

• wmoseswmoses Member Posts: 212
    rayj30 asks --

recently...I've noticed a clicking noise that occurs about every 10 seconds after I'm done driving and turn of the engine. Anyone else notice this and know where it's coming from? Is it a problem?

No. It is your hot exhaust system cooling down and contracting as it is cooling. I suspect that the noise is likely coming from the heat shield around your catalytic converter in particular. This noise is normal.
  • dustbaildustbail Member Posts: 34
    I thought that Hyundai says that it is:

4.23 U.S.qts. of Oil WITH filter.

3.91 U.S.pts. of Oil WITHOUT filter.

http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?id=394878895#_394878895
  • rjjensenrjjensen Member Posts: 7
    Late in the month generosity prevails.

My red GT with sun roof, mud guards, and floor mats. was 13,000 dollar

more later
    bob
  • delaluzdelaluz Member Posts: 48
    If you subtract out the NC taxes, title, and license it comes to around $13,250. Does this look like a good deal?

If not, how low do you think these guys will go?

2002 Hyundai Elantra GT
    Color: Pewter
    Inventory Status: In Stock
    o Automatic Transmission
    o Package 10
    o Mud Guards
    o Floor Mats
    MSRP: $16,082
    OFFER: $14,504.85
    NC TAX: $435.15
    LICENSE: $61
    TITLE FEE: $199
    S.TOTAL: $15,200
    REBATE: $1,250
    NET: $13,950
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    $13,250 for a great car with an MSRP of $16,082? And you're asking if it's a great deal??? Sure, they might go a little lower. Or they might sell it tomorrow to someone else. How many other cars like it do they have on their lot?
  • gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    sr_srikanth,

I put a Celica GT spoiler on my GT, but I don't have a picture on-line. Fortunately, Wmoses has a picture of his on his website at:

http://www.gwebworks.com/elantra_gt/gt2.shtml

• csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    It gets misleading when sales tax is quoted as part of a list price. For example in Missouri, you pay sales tax separately at a tag agent within thirty days of purchase. License plates go with the driver not the car, so you simply take your old plates off and put them on a new vehicle.

These things vary by state and it's much simpler to leave sales tax and license fees out of any price quote.
    They had at least 3 other 2002 GT's with sun roof and auto
    Gang,

I just reached agreement over the phone for a 2002 pewter elantra gt with auto, mud flaps, package 10, & mats.

Total net price is $13,250. This includes around $700 of NC taxes and stuff (NC TAX: $435.15 LICENSE: $61 TITLE FEE: $199).

So the net price to the dealer is around $12,550.

Also, they are giving me a 60 month loan at 4.99%.

A couple of days ago they had a couple of red ones with the same equipment if any one is intersted. The dealer is Southern States Hyundai of Raleigh on Wake Forest Rd.

Thanks for the great forum!
    Here on the Colorado front range, we had our first real snow of the year last night. Many of the roads were iced over and there were multi-car pile-ups up and down I-25. Just like last winter, my GT handled it just as well as my old '95 Audi with all wheel drive. The GT is very stable in slippery conditions and recovers quickly if you drive too aggressively and get the car out of shape (a common occurance with me!). The only time I miss the all wheel drive is when climbing steep hills and taking off from a stop, but the GT's better all-season tires help make up for this.

My only wintertime gripe? The lower heater vent on the driver's side blows hot air on my calves, but not my feet. Five minutes into my 45 minute commute this morning, the car was already warm inside, but even as I parked, my feet were still cold. Reaching down into the footwell, I could feel a strong current of warm air moving along right in front of the seat cushion, but the area around the pedals was still cold. Minor gripe, really, but this is the kind of thing that auto manufacturers should have down cold, so to speak.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Welcome back, and thanks for sharing the details of your 2002 Elantra GT purchase. So when will you be taking delivery? We look forward to hearing more.... Happy motoring!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Thanks for the snow report. Just curious do you have an auto or manual GT and do you have abs/tcs?
    Well I picked up my 2002 elantra gt pack 10 auto Monday night.

The only surprise at the dearer was that they didn't try to sell me an extended warantee or any other BS I didn't agree on.

My initial impression is that the Elantra drives MUCH better than my wife's 2001 PT cruiser:
    -better visability
    -more comfortable seats
    -much shorter turning radius

I can't believe this car looks and drives the way it does for a $13,250 car.

Around 4 years ago I helped my daughter buy an Acura Integra. I think it cost around $20K. IMHO the Elantra looks like a more expensive car and drives much better.

Anyway have a nice day everybody!
  • sr_srikanthsr_srikanth Member Posts: 41
    Thanks for the input about the spoiler. I cant believe that I missed that page on wmoses site.
  • calamuscalamus Member Posts: 18
    Can anyone provide information on where to source or how to install a rear fog light for a GT (many cars have it in Europe)? I will have to travel through fog and blowing snow many times during the Winter, especially at night. It helps to have the front fog lamps but I would feel more secure having one fog tail light in such weather conditions. Most European cars have such a feature integrated to the left rear brake/turn module, with a separate on/off switch.
    Thanks
    In other countries (Aus for instance) the two vertical "fang" lights in the rear are used as rear fog lights. There is a seperate switch on cars so equipped for these lights. I believe the factory installs two high powered bulbs in these positions for rear fog use.

I looked at the site for a rear fog wiring schematic but they are not listed.
    5port, my GT is a 5spd with ABS/TCS.

Rear fog lights would be cool. Since the GT is billed as being a European style car, European style lighting would be appropriate. I wonder if it would be possible to run higher powered "fang" lights through a switch placed in one of the dummy switch slots to the left of the steering wheel?
  • desgdesg Member Posts: 52
    The switch is in one of those positions on vehicles with the rear fog lights, makes a real annoying noise if you forget to turn them off too :)
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    Crossed the 30,000 mile mark yesterday. Our 2001.5 Elantra GT daily driver is still running great. I'm going to make an appointment with my mechanic for the 30k service then I'm going to drop the old girl off at the dealership so they can correct the 2nd gear shift flare noted in a prior TSB.

I think I may have finally passed the legendary "mpgman" for total mileage. If there are any other high-mileage owners out there, check in and let the board know how you're doing.

It's a great feeling to have such a dependable car: 30,000 miles and only a burnt-out headlamp to show for it. On the other hand, it's sad to know that I'm already 1/3 through the powertrain warranty after 16 months!
  • pedennisonpedennison Member Posts: 21
    cjaccetta,
    My driver's side low-beam burnt out this week, and I was planning on replacing it myself. Any pointers? It looks like I will have to take the battery out to get to it.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I've been wondering the same: how easy to replace these? Next time I check the oil I should poke around under there.
  • nihao4587nihao4587 Member Posts: 43
    where the buttons for "heated side mirrors" and "remote rear-hatch release" are on my 02 GT. I found these functions on the websites and haven't been able to locate them.
    The heated mirrors are controlled by the HVAC system and go on when you use Defrost mode. There's no separate switch. There never was a remote rear hatch release for the GT; it was erroneously stated on the window stickers on the early '01 model GTs but Hyundai corrected it and sent $100 to the people who bought those cars. So the web site is in error.
    Consumer Reports just released an updated buyer's guide and now recommends the Sonata and Santa Fe because their predicted reliability has improved to at least Average (actually better than that). In the same mag, the Elantra's predicted reliability is up to Average also, meaning that CR would recommend it... EXCEPT for its poor showing in the IIHS offset crash test.
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    Actually, the heated mirrors are activated by the rear defogger switch. No remote inside hatch release is necessary, as there's an external release. Although a convenient feature, it gives anyone access to the hatch as long as the car is unlocked -- even when you're driving (e.g., at a stoplight).
  • desgdesg Member Posts: 52
    The low and high beam globes are not hard to replace.

For the ones near the battery I just undid the battery and moved it slighly to one side to give me better access - without disconnecting the cables.

I replaced the 4 globes with plus 50 globes a couple of months back, able to change all 4 in under an hour and that was taking it slowly.
  • blackandblueblackandblue Member Posts: 66
    Wouldn't the headlights be covered under the warranty?
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    pdennison & jimbeaumi -

Yes, you do have to take out the battery in order to change the driver's side lo-beam. You also have to remove the plastic cowling pieces that surround the battery and air intake (don't drop those screws!).

The hardest part of the task is actually aligning and inserting the replacement bulb into the lamp housing. It's a tight fit to begin with and the bulb is held in place by a spring-loaded clamp which must be "sprung" into place to hold the bulb. You have to do all of this while bent at an odd angle and looking from above. Oh, and you cannot touch the bulb with your bare skin. I used one of those little $1.99 "dentist mirror" gadgets you see at the checkout counters of auto parts stores. That tool really helped me see what I needed to do.

The entire replacement took about 35 minutes. It's not hard, you just have to be patient. Good luck.
  • fulldoggfulldogg Member Posts: 2
    check it out, cool mods and info, just makes you fell better about the purchase:

http://www.gwebworks.com/elantra_gt/index.shtml

• gt_redgt_red Member Posts: 3
    closed the deal yesterday evening.
    noticed that when driving on not so even pavement, the sound from under is little bit louder. Guess I gotta get used to it. other than that, what a fantastic car! I'll really enjoy the daily 50 mile commute.
  • clayman1000clayman1000 Member Posts: 69
    Yes, it is a very cool site.
    Be sure to join the 'mailing list' which is a LISTSERVE where you can ask a question and have it sent to all on the list via email and lots of answers right away delivered to your mailbox.
    Lots of friendly folks.
    Wayne Moses is doing a great job on the site and the LISTSERVE.
  • clayman1000clayman1000 Member Posts: 69
    Just took my GT in for it's first car wash this morning and was cautious about the antenna going through the wash.
    I unscrewed it and removed it just to be safe. Does everyone do this?
  • nihao4587nihao4587 Member Posts: 43
    Yes, the antenna is kinda long to my view. I am about to buy a much shorter black-rubber-wrapped one to substitute the stock antenna. I found this one from Ebay if you search with "elantra GT antenna". It looks good and not that expensive. Again, like buying our GT, I will have to get my wife nod about this, or she will get really fussy about it. :P
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Unfortunately, I too have to remember to remove the stock antenna (went through once with it in place, car wash caused a slight bend in it).
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    I saw them listed on EBAY. Was not sure if they fit or not.
    Let us know how it goes?
    TIA Frank
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    i got one from ebay , they fit ... but the reception isn't as good at the stock antenna ... if you like am it is a big downgrade from the stock one
    If you already own the Euro antenna and are not happy with the reception go to Pep Boys and get the Universal Replacement Antenna for $7.99. It is a 17" black rod with wire rapped around it (similar to volkswagen) and it fits right on the Euro antenna base adapter. Reception is much better and it looks good. View it below:

Note: this antenna will not fit directly on the GT. You must use the Euro antenna base adapter.
    I bought the Pep Boys antenna a few months ago, and sure enough, it didn't fit. None of the adapters are big enough to fit in the GT receptical. (I was too lazy to take it back.) I wonder if there is another source of adapters without having to buy the somewhat pricey Euro antenna. Even better, I think it would be trick (but a lot of work) to mount the antenna at the back of the roof, about where the rear window washer nozzle resides. I saw a lot of antennas mounted that way when I was in the UK.
    gt_fan

The GT has a really weird antenna mount size as you found out. The only other alternative is to cut the stock antenna to about 1 and 1/2 " size and use the universal mount that comes with the antenna kit. Its the tall black adapter. It mounts to the old antenna mast and tightens with an allen key. Then you screw the new antenna on to it.
    5port

Nice idea on using the universal mount, but I seem to have misplaced whatever female-to-female connector is necessary to go from the top of the universal adapter with the screws to the black antenna. (Murphy's Law I guess). Fortunately, I didn't cut the factory antenna. At this point, I'm going to try taking some black paint to it. It won't look as good as the Euro rubber or Pep Boys version, but I know it will have good reception!
    Its just been confirmed on the GT mailing list that the black factory antennas that are on the new Tiburons do indeed fit the GT. So there is another source.
    You beat me to it John. I just read the same thing and came over here to report it. I'm taking my GT in for it's 15,000 mile service this week, so I may order one up while I'm there. I may have to get a set of those 2003 Tiburon aluminum pedal covers while I'm at it!

One extra thing that I'll be asking the Hyundai service guys about is Technical Service Bulletin #01-36-025. According to alldata.com this is to fix "...High idle speed, Slow RPM drop during shift.". My 5 speed has been plagued by this since it was new. When I let off the accelerator to shift, the engine seems to take forever to drop in rpm's. I'm left with the choice of shifting right away and letting the clutch match the rpm's (more wear on the clutch), or waiting an extra second or two for the rpm's to drop so I can match engine and drivetrain speed. I'm not 18 anymore (or even double that!) so I'm a little more patient when I drive, but I sure hope this is something that can be remedied.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    My GLS 5 speed did this for the first 12-15K miles, then mysteriously corrected itself. Still haven't been back to the dealer since week 1.
    I bought a 2002 auto GT elantra. I noticed that after the car warms up there is a crinkling like sound. It sounds like some one is crinkling a plastic grocery bag. It seems to be coming from the driver side of the dash. I thought it might be the speedometer cable.

It goes away when you stop at a light. It doesn't seem to get louder with higher RPM's.

Anyone hear this?

Thanks
    gt_fan

You should be able to order the black tib antenna from the parts department with the pedals. I'm afraid the pedals might get slippery when wet but I like the look!

I (like CS) had the slow to return to idle sydrome when I bought my GT a year ago. At about 1100 miles I complained to the dealer about it and was told "they all do that" and "its designed like that to help you shift-automatic heal and toe". Well, like CS over time mine has corrected itself and returns to idle right away. I guess their "design" is now broken ;-)

delaluz

I never had the sound your are describing. I would recommend a dealer visit. Sounds like a warranty repair.
    My '01 GLS did that for a few weeks, then mysteriously corrected itself after I took it to the dealer and they told me it needed a yet-to-be-released software update (that was in late 2000). Never went back for the update.
  • canuck1gtcanuck1gt Member Posts: 9
    I've had my GT for a year now and 30K kilometres (18,350 miles) without any problems. Previously, I had a '98 Elantra station wagon also problem-free. I have allways followed the Scheduled Maintenance for these cars, which includes an oil change at every 6,000 Kilometers, as specified in the owner's manual. I recently visited the Hyundai-USA Website which states an oil change at every 7,500 miles or 12,000Kilometers. Can anybody explain why the Scheduled Maintenance in Canada can be TWICE the one in the US ??? Is this a rip-off ??? The climate shouldn't be a criteria, many parts of northern USa are as bad or worse than parts of southern Canada.
    I intend to adress Hyundai Canada and mayby consummers protection agencies if there are no satisfactory answers.