Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently tried to lease a vehicle again after your last lease ended, and found that average monthly payments have gone so far up that you decided to get a cheaper vehicle with a lower monthly payment or purchase a used car?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you about it. Please reach out to [email protected] by Thursday, October 18, 2018 telling us a little about your experience, and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

1222324252628»

Comments

• CpbockCpbock OhioPosts: 1
    I'm hoping that with all these problems that GM will help out on the repair. Same story, wife calls and say all of a sudden the car won't go over 20. Checked transmission fluid and it seem low. Put about 25% of the quart in then test drove it. Seemed ok for half a mile and then it started slipping above 20.
  • matthew54matthew54 Posts: 2
    edited January 2016
    Just wanted to let all of you know, (if you ever get back to read this) we're getting Fully reimbursed for transmission. I mailed in the claim form, because as stated work was done at 140k miles. My work was done elsewhere, but transmission came from gm, and gm also finished the work up. (Mine was not repaired) yep it was so bad it couldn't be repaired. Glad gmc made things right!! May buy one of their cars soon, but never an SUV lol! Hope you'll have goodluck as well. Still waiting for check, I'll repost when that comes. Just got the call friday about all this :)
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,460
    matthew54 said:

Just wanted to let all of you know, (if you ever get back to read this) we're getting Fully reimbursed for transmission. I mailed in the claim form, because as stated work was done at 140k miles. My work was done elsewhere, but transmission came from gm, and gm also finished the work up. (Mine was not repaired) yep it was so bad it couldn't be repaired. Glad gmc made things right!! May buy one of their cars soon, but never an SUV lol! Hope you'll have goodluck as well. Still waiting for check, I'll repost when that comes. Just got the call friday about all this :)

Glad to hear of GM stepping up to resolve a problem. Rare to hear; often hear otherwise.

Maybe GM really is changing in a way we can hope and believe in!
    Toy '16 Audi TTS quattro AWD, Commuter '17 VW Golf AllTrack SE 4-Motion AWD, Wife's '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD
  • valveguy2valveguy2 Posts: 6
    rolls backward as soon as you take your foot off the brake: normal for this car.
    the front air-conditioner vents are surrounded by shiny silver which reflects the sunlight in my eyes: GM has a fix for that. They have flat black surround that replace the shiny silver.
  • chuck1394chuck1394 Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2012 GMC Acadia in 2015 and the warranty expired in July of last year. Almost right after we bought the vehicle we took it to the dealership because it wasn't acting right (sputter/misfire feeling). The dealership, Love Buick GMC in Columbia SC, said that they thought the coil packs needed to be cleaned. We had that done but the problem persisted after a couple of months. We just lived with it until it recently started getting more frequent. We took it in and now another dealership (wanted fresh eyes) said that the transmission is slipping and needs to be replaced $4,700.... Now we are having major issues with the RPMs jumping all the time.... We have not had the repair as I don't feel like I can trust what their saying and wondering why the first dealership didn't identify the problem completely. The engine light has yet to come on, I might add. I've read some GMC customer service comments on this thread, so wondering if there is anything GMC can do as it looks like we've been dealing with this problem for some time and there appears to be and understanding of problems with the Acadia transmission. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
  • mike4584mike4584 Posts: 1
    My 2012 Acadia has vibration issues at highway speeds and the dealer changed just about the whole drive train as well as 4 sets of tires and tried different wheels too. They (GMC Dealership) said they cant fix it and I have to live with it. What the heck it's a 40K car... Now the car jerks and sputters on the highway and they cant fix that either. I took it to 3 private shops and the dealer with no success. I don't know what else to do.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,460
    mike4584 said:

My 2012 Acadia has vibration issues at highway speeds and the dealer changed just about the whole drive train as well as 4 sets of tires and tried different wheels too. They (GMC Dealership) said they cant fix it and I have to live with it. What the heck it's a 40K car... Now the car jerks and sputters on the highway and they cant fix that either. I took it to 3 private shops and the dealer with no success. I don't know what else to do.

Never buy a GM again and vote out the nincompoops that thought bailouts were a good idea.
    Toy '16 Audi TTS quattro AWD, Commuter '17 VW Golf AllTrack SE 4-Motion AWD, Wife's '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD
  • scarbs91scarbs91 Posts: 3
    Yep, me too! Bought my wife a 2009 Acadia (sub 80k) that was really like new. She had wanted one for a while, and I needed to shoot the old Trailblazer (transmission out 4 times in a year). Boy did I jump from frying pan to fire!

Owned Acadia now for 2 years. Replaced all three catalytic converters (saving that planet) at $700-$800, per - plus an all night family rescue drive since they were stranded. Oh yes, that radiator replacement - what was that $900? Then the transmission broke last year - and replaced timing chain too. Then the car stranded us on vacation again as the alternator cable burned completely in two.

So, who's counting - I think that's five times we have been stranded in 30k miles!

But wait, there's more! Now the tranny is out again! And the intake valves are dirty (apparently a common Acadia issue - although the dealer service guy said,"the internet makes everything a big issue." Hmm, the independent shop guy said it was very common! Okay, that bill will be $6,100!!!!!!!

And the family barely made it back from a trip - narrowly avoiding the 6th stranding!

The independent shop said, "they are great cars - for mechanics." Who is designing these things????
    Oh yes, I forgot that the thing used to tell us to turn off the engine while we were going down the highway. (First time while out of state.) It thought it was either out of oil or the oil pressure was low. We'd pull over - I remember being on the side of the interstate in the middle of the night in another state trying to figure out what was wrong with our "new car" - hoping we weren't going to get killed! It finally quit doing that - they didn't know why it did this. Loving me some Acadia!!!!
    Yep, forgot replacing coil packs too. Can't keep up.
  • acadia09acadia09 Posts: 1
    Could some one from GMC take a look at all my troubles with my 2009 Acadia with only 67k miles on it I will give you the VIN # I don't want to have to list all my troubles with brakes fluid pump rack and pinion and the transmission that won't go into reverse now. I think after reading all the troubles with the transmission on Edmunds GMC should open a recall on it. Oh one more problem that I had at 17K miles was under warranty was the Timming Chain. I have already put 5,772.66 in to this and that is not counting regular Oil changes and Tire Rotations Vin # 1GKEV13D29J140476 LOW MILEAGE. I have always had Fords and never put that type of money into any car. I bought a GMC because my son was a service writer for a dealership and got us a good price......not now! Regards, Pret01