Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the Edmunds forums! We are changing the way you sign into our forums. Click here to learn more.

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    I was going to do the quote :) "Tach it up, tach it up, buddy gonna shut you down!" ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Wow, no posts practically all day? What is this forum coming to?
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    and the van will be doing many duties. for us a "nicer" van by whatever subjective definition is given will not mean much to us because we have a more practical aspect to this purchase. one news tonight, our insurance guy said the honda would cost us about $370 more a year for insurance.

Which is also the reason I bought the Dodge. I really wanted the convenience of the Stow-n-Go.

The wife was a little upset I bought the minivan. She said "Your going to pay the extra cost of insuring it."(Over what I was paying on our truck that I traded in for it) She and I were both surprised to learn that the insurance was cheaper than it was on her Honda Civic or my truck.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,241
    I had to go look at my policy after that post as $370 between vehicles blew my mind. They must have some pricey insurance because my Ody is less than $500 a year. It's $60 less per year than my wifes GX470. I've not called to compare insurance for many many years. Even when I had sports cars, there wasn't that much difference. Maybe Ody's are stolen a lot wherever they live. Who steals a minivan??
    The difference on my new minivan, compared to our Honda Civic was less than $50.00. What surprised us was that the minivan has all this electrical stuff on it that the Honda doesn't have, was more expensive to buy than the Honda, but still the minivan was cheaper to insure.

My brother parked his minivan in my sister's driveway when we took our trip to Europe. She lives just two blocks away, in a retirement community. It was stolen on the second day we were gone. (Police found it a week later.) It had about 1,700.00 worth of damage. Some of it was stolen parts. The funny thing about it, is that my brother lives in the same retirement community and has parked his in his driveway for years and never had any problems with it being taken.

Of course we know that Civics are wanted more than minivans.
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    The annual premium on our Ody is also about $450.

Whoever is paying lots more is likely enabling the rich lifestyle of his/her insurance company/agent!
  • jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,496
    As some people are fond of saying, "You get what you pay for" ;)
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,241
    As some people are fond of saying, "You get what you pay for"

My price I listed above is with State Farm, $500 deductible. Been with them for 18 years, no complaints. Not many claims either. Small cars are expensive to insure. My '00 VW Jetta diesel is very high. Even being 5 years old and only costing $16,000 new, it is currently only $20 less per year than my Ody. And it's cheaper now than it's ever been.
    Also have State Farm...very good company from my viewpoint. Also, been with them around 16-17 years with no complaints. Our 2004 mini's premium is about $600 a year with a $250 deductable, with higher liability coverage(the amount I can't recall) Question is on whether the "discount" car insurers you see on t.v all the time is truely a bargain or something that is "you get what you pay for". Saying you are only paying a certain amount per year without givng information such as deductible amounts,full coverage or liability coverage amounts...is saying very little. ;)
    Cost of insurance has a lot to do with where you live along with your driving record. To cover both the minivan and the Civic, our insurance costs us $1,500.00 a year in Phoenix. That is with no tickets or accidents in the last 5 years. Before changing carriers, we were paying $1,900.00 a year, $500.00 deductabe. We now have $200.00 deductable and paying $400.00 a year less.
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    the insurance on my 05 ody costs the same as my 8 yr old accord , same coverage. :confuse:
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    Same coverage as a 2001 SWB Dodge caravan that cost me 16K(BTW I now have a 2005 EX-L with RES) and it was less than $50.00 increase per year. Wow they really are soaking you!! Get some more quotes Morgan that agent is ripping you off. ;)
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    While this topic shouldn't even exist here, I would just like to point out that all Honda lovers AREN'T Chrysler haters. Just because someone loves one product does not mean they have complete digust for another. I like ice cream, but it doesn't mean that I don't like chicken too! I just like ice cream better. Even if chicken has better nutritional value, it has given me food poisoning twice in the past(like the metaphor?), ice cream never has.
    I just bought a 2006 Odyssey EX-L. I would have loved to buy a Town and Country to go along with my Pacifica, Intrepid and 69 LeBaron. Saving a few thousand dollars (very debatable how many) could not convince me. The Odyssey is just a better vehicle.
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    What you may have thinking about -- and this is a very common and understandable mistake -- is the 426 wedge motor. Chrysler replaced the 392 in 1960 with the 413 wedge, and in '63 the 426 wedge replaced that motor. These engines are descendants of the 350, 361 and in the later evolving family of 383, 400, 440 cid engines

I am not sure why this is in this thread, but:
    1) The 413 came out in 1959.
    2) The 426 wedge did not repalce the 413, but was sold in addition to it. The 426 Max Wedge replaced the 413 Max wedge.
    3) The 440 replaced the 413 and the 426 wedge in 1966.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,150
    More of a GM guy myself during those glory years.

In our town, we had a mouthy punk with a 409 Impala. He thought he was hot stuff until he made the mistake of taking on a "hillbilly" 'Dodge with a 413.

Made that 409 look like a six cylinder! I was there.

I know...back on topic... ;)
    My Ody insurance price listed above is exactly $445.24/yr in the Carolinas with $500 deductible for collision/$100 deductible for comprehensive, including uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages for property damage($100K/damage) and bodily damage($300K/person) with Erie Insurance. Wife and I have no accident claims or traffic violations in the past 20+ yrs, despite my lead foot in our vehicles, including the spirited, fun to drive Ody.

One of our sons had a deer encounter 3 years ago with his car and Erie repaired the $3500 damage quickly. Same fast repair payment service by Erie when the pizza delivery guy decided to deliver the pizza to our home packaged AC/Heat unit instead of our front door 8 years ago. His car rolled down our inclined driveway and got intimate with the packaged unit to the tune of a $4000 new replacement.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Buying insurance, IMO, is like buying Mattresses or Diamond rings!! Much more confusing and misleading than it has to be!!! I'm paying $2000/year to insure my 2001 BMW and 2005 DCX GC SXT via AAA Michigan, with identical coverage, and both as pleasure vehicles since I have a company car I abuse. I put about 70000 miles/year on each vehicle. Haven't had a ticket or accident in 10 years (I don't race on Offramps!) and every renewal I check out competitors....it's all about the same.

A friend of mine, moving from CA to MI for job is seeing his insurance double!

It's all a SCAM!!!

Hmmmm....Crappy weather, crappy roads, and high insurance....why do I stay :) ??
    "It's all a SCAM!!! "

Sounds like it. But rates are based on regions where there are more statistical risks due to thefts, accidents, repair costs, other claims, etc.

The annual insurance premiums on our M-B SL500 and BMW 550i are under $900 for each. Vehicle's value and cost to repair are signifciant contributors, besides driver's records.
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    it is based on region and accident/theft rates. But the temptation and ease to take the ody to triple digits is far greater than the 8 yr old hooptee.

But then every kid and their visiting friends in my block has asked me when am I selling the accord (it's a stick) and told me the stuff they will do to the car. I eventually sold it to a 40 yr old guy who commutes 80 miles to work everyday(it gets 35mpg on the hwy).
    Congratulations! It looks like my little exercise in finding common ground has been successful. You all are now one at peace with nature, yourselves, and each other. This topic discussion has gone from the most hostile of exchanges to those of inner peace and contentment. Instead of targeting each other...you have chosen a more healthy target...the insurance companies. ;)

Happy New Year...and keep up the good work. :shades:
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    "I firmly believe that people are filled with good intentions and the desire to be helpful toward their fellow living creatures. You see it everwhere, releif organizations, pet adoption services and the thousands of community groups aimed at making their corner of the world a bit better. As we all know though, anytime you insert the human element, good intentions can go comically bad."
    Lets all gather around our minivans and sing Kumbya!!!
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    This topic discussion has gone from the most hostile of exchanges to those of inner peace and contentment.

Thats cause now this is the Zen minivan Forum!! I have looked inside and made the right choice for me I choose the Odyssey. After all it is the grand Buddha of Minivans. AKA the enlightened minivan. Please join me on the eightfold path to minivan Nirvana.
    Name the place but you must bring the lyrics. ;)
    You DCX folks have cause to be concerned: the 2006 Kia Sedona and soon to arrive Hyundai Entourage. I looked at the Sedona LX yesterday. My original plan was to wait for an EX with all the goodies but chose to rush into an Odyssey instead. No buyer remorse. The Kia is serious competition for all the minivans but especially DCX. The price point VS equipment is going to be the hook. Even the low end has head bags, stability and traction control, etc. It is very roomy inside with world class fit and finish. Granted I did not drive this van but its seats seem nice with a great looking interior. It is almost an Odyssey clone.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    I had my agent run me the numbers for the most expensive versions of the Honda, Toyota, Dodge, and Chrysler minivans with identical coverage. They are as follows for my location and demographic:

Honda - $801
    Toyota - $781
    Chrysler - $719
    Dodge - $690

I'm over 50, single, no accidents, no tickets, and have no other drivers in my residence, and have a MetLife umbrella policy which includes collision, liability, and fire/theft.

My agent said that the number of drivers makes a big difference, especially if they are either under 25 or under 18 (in New York, anyway). In my case the agent said that the Honda was more expensive by $111 because of a higher cost of collision repair and the vehicle theft rate, which according to my agent is the highest for a minivan.

I think Morgan stated that she has two or three young drivers in the family. That might explain why the insurance cost is so much higher for her family. Driving record could make a difference, too. There use to be a gender bias to the actuary tables years ago. I don't know if that still applies.
    Maybe, maybe not. The Dodge and Chrysler minivan get a completely new platform change in 2007. Their new six speed automatic and a new V6 will be part of next year's models. New product usually ups the ante.

Even if it doesn't the new minivan product from all manufacturers is so good that the differences are no longer miles apart.
    I believe the 2008 will be next major update for DCX. 2007 could be very tough for DCX minivans if they do nothing but change colors and interior fabrics :)

We'll know this week, if DCX shows any teasers at the North American Auto Show in Detroit. So far all I've seen are the Challenger and Imperial, no Minivan concepts.

I think every Minivan manufacturer has to keep and eye on Hyundai, not just DCX. Their quality keeps improving greatly, and they're being talked about as the next Toyota!!
    Yes, the 2008s will debut in October, 2007.

The last change was an extensive refresh prompted by the addition of Stow & Go. Some of the other areas received updates based on the available time frame that it was taking to develop Stow & Go for manufacturing.

The next change will be a clean-sheet design. Of course, some of the feature ideas will be utilized, but I think you'll find that outside of the power train it will be all new hardware.

When we viewed the new 62TE transmission in the Dodge test mule they were not forthcoming regarding the engine. It didn't look quite like a 3.8. Now it could' ve had different heads and a new induction system, it wasn't easy to tell. But a whisper in another corner said it was a brand new engine. There's a rumor that they are working on a 4.0 V6 for the minivan platforms. Whether they revise the 3.8 or release another new engine, I think you'll probably find more horsepower available.

Dusty
  • fred222fred222 Posts: 200
    There's a rumor that they are working on a 4.0 V6 for the minivan platforms. Whether they revise the 3.8 or release another new engine, I think you'll probably find more horsepower available
    I read that the new 3.8 and 4.0 will be based on the 3.5 engine. So a 3.8 would have nothing to do with the current 3.8. Mopar did this before in 1967. The 318 before 1967 (poly) had nothing in common with the post 1967 318 (LA).
This discussion has been closed.