Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

1181920212224»

Comments

• Hotblonde57Hotblonde57 Marlin txPosts: 1
    edited September 2018
    I have a 2001 Chevy Impala less than 50000 miles the other night coming home after dark  road construction and all of a sudden car started loosing power idiot light that looked like a battery csme on seconds later as i was turning acrosd higheay drad no power no liight..I had a flashlight in purse waved at oncoming traffic praying not to be ran over.this went on for 30 min. I tried again it stsstar so I floored it the next seven miles home through red lights curveds etc. Lost it when home. Cried for an hour.had friend check battery fine alrenator fine car starts he said can't disgnose problem or fix till it's having one. I'm terrified it Will Occur again might not be so lucky. I travel alone alot busy and desolate roads.the only recall I have is to get the ignition key module checked.what should I do about thid issue. I'm recently widowed. Already have financial issues from unexpected death bills etc. Working as a model and a medical Coder barely making it. Cannot afford what if at dealership or repair shop and can't afford another vehicle.this one just purchased less than yesterday ago. Please someone help me.thanks (e-mail deleted by Host for privacy purposes)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,290
    The fact stated that the battery light came on indicates to me that the computers thought the car lost battery power. No lights after the car stopped does the same.

The battery itself should be replaced or substituted with a known good battery--such as switching with the battery in another vehicle. The battery may have an internal short, especially if it's more than 4 years old.

A friend who checked the battery for you might have a vehicle with a similar battery with the positive and negative connects on the same ends that could trade batteries with you. HOWEVER, a good battery test by a unit that puts a load on the battery and checks for sulfation as well is what's needed here. The test unit can determine how much of the ability to provide current is left in the battery: that's a way of determining how much life is left in the battery.

The connections from the battery to the connections should be loosened, cleaned and reconnected. That applies to the negative cables that go to grounds. Same for the positive cables and their connections.

The connectors that go into the vehicle through the firewall should be unsnapped, inspected, and reattached.

The ends of the cables at the batteries should be inspected by cutting into the plastic covering to be sure the copper wires inside are intact.

I wonder how old the battery is. A car with low mileage at 17 years of age, may have a battery that's been in there a long time.

Best of luck at tracing this down.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 4,992
    Those cars are known to have ignition switch issues and it's pretty easy to prove when it acts up. All you need to do is use a volt meter and measure the voltage on fuses in the fuse block at the drivers end of the dash. Some of the fuses are powered all of the time, so they would show you the battery voltage. Others are powered via the ignition switch and they should be within a .1 -.2v of the power you measure at the fuses powered directly by the battery. Normal battery voltage should be 12.4 to 12.7volts.

Now to test, start the car and let it run for about how long you drove it the other night with all of the accessories on. If the switch is heating up and losing the connection you should see the voltage starting to drop on specific fuses. Share this with your friend. I can give you more details if need be.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,290
    How does total loss of power to the lights fit in with the ignition switch problems?

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 4,992
    The exact answer would depend on exactly what groups of fuses have power during a failure event and which ones do not. I'd have to upload a power distribution schematic to show you what I mean by that but there is more than one power source to the ignition switch and more than one output from it. Some of the inputs to the switch also directly power fuses in the fuse block. The combinations of where there is and is not power lead to the best choices to choose the next step in the testing.

Now what may seem a little confusing at the moment is how she is describing the failure "all of a sudden car started loosing power idiot light that looked like a battery csme on seconds later as i was turning acrosd higheay drad no power no liight." I interpret that as the vehicle stalled and there were no warning lights on the dash. That would be a classic description of the ignition switch losing its connection.
  • Warmacht9Warmacht9 TennesseePosts: 2
    pooh07 said:
    my car is displsying engine power reduced, any suggestions for the problem?
    yes it's your throttle body sensor and anybody needs to go to Walmart for $39 and buy a car diagnostic and code reader it's one little machine you can update it online it's great it has saved me so much money with mechanics lying to me over what is wrong with my car it's not
  • Warmacht9Warmacht9 TennesseePosts: 2
    I have a 2001 Chevy Impala less than 50000 miles the other night coming home after dark  road construction and all of a sudden car started loosing power idiot light that looked like a battery csme on seconds later as i was turning acrosd higheay drad no power no liight..I had a flashlight in purse waved at oncoming traffic praying not to be ran over.this went on for 30 min. I tried again it stsstar so I floored it the next seven miles home through red lights curveds etc. Lost it when home. Cried for an hour.had friend check battery fine alrenator fine car starts he said can't disgnose problem or fix till it's having one. I'm terrified it Will Occur again might not be so lucky. I travel alone alot busy and desolate roads.the only recall I have is to get the ignition key module checked.what should I do about thid issue. I'm recently widowed. Already have financial issues from unexpected death bills etc. Working as a model and a medical Coder barely making it. Cannot afford what if at dealership or repair shop and can't afford another vehicle.this one just purchased less than yesterday ago. Please someone help me.thanks (e-mail deleted by Host for privacy purposes)
    I was told the same thing can't diagnose it until it is happening everyone get you a car diagnostic and code reader at Walmart for $39
  • mj247mj247 usaPosts: 1
    I have a chevy impala 2008, I love this car, when the car is at its best the performance is wonderful. But the headache with the bs to get the car repaired leaves me very agitated beyond words. Yes currently the car is 10 years old and I am dealing with the reduce engine power, it was/ is a major safety issue and almost caused a serious accident, liability is a great word that comes to mind and thanks to this forum I have over 100- 200 customers with the same problem that make well for a class action lawsuit independent of the recall that was provided via GM because there was no mention of the chevy impala on the list. i hope that other customer join in and make GM pay for all the risk that we have encountered with this car and the customer service or the lack there of. We as well as our families lives are at risk...it is of no wonder that the production of this car is at a cease. I have empathy for everyone that make a living with this company. I dont think that I would be hard press to say that the exes of GM dont drive the car that they produce, heaven forbid that their love ones and family experience any of these issue.
  • Chips70Chips70 OmahaPosts: 1
    Try the throttle position sensor
  • ZachGZachG Posts: 1
    Somebody please help me. I have an 07 chevy impala that keeps giving me a "reduced engine power" message, then cuts your power and you can't drive more than about 40 mph.. I took it to a local mechanic and he said that it was a corroded sensor, that was in the air cleaner. He said that he fixed it and set us on our way. A few days later it did it again. It has no pattern, you can be driving uphill, downhill, or on the flat, and at any speed. It is happening more frequently. Anybody else had this problem. I can't see that there is a recall and I can't think that I am alone on this. I really don't want to take to a dealer, they can be such a rip-off, not to metion the closest one is 1 1/2 hours away. Thanks See Also: 2011 Chevy Impala - Service Stabilitrak - Reduced Engine Power
    My girlfriend had this problem with her 2008 Chevy impala. It was shooting two check engine light codes, low power mode and some other lights. She experienced the car shutting down on the highway. I take a look at the codes and to fix the problem. I had to replace the throttle body for the one check engine code and the accelerator pedal sensor. That got rid of the  low power mode and the codes. The low power mode could be caused by any of the wiring or sensors going into the throttle body or the plastic pipe between the throttle body and the air filter. For anyone doing this themselves go on   rockauto.com the parts are cheap. Throttle body was around $70 and the sensor was around $30. 
  • c42493c42493 North Las Vegas, NevadaPosts: 2
    I have a 2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT 1.5L I-4 experiencing the "Reduced Engine Power" at around twenty-five thousand miles. I heard that newer cars such as this one produce more carbon buildup, and the brand of gas you use could greatly reduce the carbon buildup. Anyways, I had always used the gas from Rebel, or Arco because it was cheaper, and then switched to strictly Shell or Chevron gas, even just regular 87 octane, and it completely stopped, until my grandma used the Arco gas not knowing. I drove out that tank of gas, and filled it up with Shell gas and again I was good. I'd at least give it a shot, although I know it sounds kinda crazy, but if it worked for me it could work for you. Good luck.
  • c42493c42493 North Las Vegas, NevadaPosts: 2
    Use only gas from Shell or Chevron.

Do Not Use ARCO gas and definitely not gas from 7-11, Sam's Club or Costco.
  • Rros7Rros7 Posts: 1
    Exact same issue with my 08 Impala.  My car also had power cut including power steering when going 60-70 down the highway.  Cost is $410 for my Goodyear to repair.  Guess it will take someone killing themselves or someone else before GM owns up to this problem.  Not buying another GM vehicle again.