Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Engine and Transmission Swaps

aschubertaschubert Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Jeep
Have a chance to buy another Wrangler drivetrain, 2001, 4.0, man. trans complete with wiring, external parts, whole package, basically. Have a 97 Wrangler with same motor and manual trans...any compatability issues known to anyone? Hoping it will work. Fellow wants 600 for the package and I can hear it run before it is removed. Won't roll, been wrecked so I won't know much about trans..

Thanks ahead for replies!

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    As long as the '97 was a 4.0 you should be ok. Sounds like a good deal for $600.
    The '01 exhaust manifold is different so either get the first part of the exhaust including the cat, or use the one from your '97.
  • kidstoyskidstoys Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the process of finishing up a similar swap. I bought a donor 2000 TJ 4L, Auto and installed it in a 1993 YJ 4L, Auto. Your swap should be a piece of cake comparatively speaking. The motor and trans will drop right in place. That's the easy part.

The 2001 has an electronic spark as opposed to a distributor system. You may have to swap the PCM for proper spark control but I don't know that for sure. That could lead to other issues. It depends on what things the newer PCM is looking for, O2 sensors, and SKIM come to mind. Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.