Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Dodge Durango

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Anyone looking at the new Durango? We don't even have invoice details yet, so if anyone has some news, please tell us about it.

Comments

• steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    They are now showing up at dealerships. Truck looks nice to me. My gut likes the idea of the V8 in a truck this size, but the v6 looks pretty good also. I wonder if real world performance is really that much better with the V8. The V6 should be more economical but it seems they always over estimate the mpg ratings on these trucks..
  • lilredcorvtlilredcorvt Member Posts: 21
    V-6 not too shabby but I test drove the V-8 surprisingly so smooth and you can feel the power!!! Both powerplants are excellent its just a matter of choice if you're willing to spend more $$$ at the gas pumps.
  • qthqth Member Posts: 25
    How you compare Durango to Ford Explorer, GMC Acadia and Chevrolet Traverse? Thanks.
    Real time test drive of the Durango and Explorer but not on the GMC Acadia and Chevy Traverse since I didn't bother didn't like their styling and the interior materials GM use on the Traverse and Acadia still cheap plasticky looking (why don't they use like the ones in the Caddy SRX). So I can only give feedback for the Durango and Explorer. My comparison - Luv the Durango's exterior styling, interior materials use are of great quality no hard type cheap looking plastic use here, smooth riding (no truckish ride feeling very much like you are riding a sport sedan) and a surprisingly very quick linear steering feel, suspension just felt the right balance and set up for me. Now for the Explorer, didn't like that polarizing front grill look, interior materials quite nice but instrument cluster looks like cheap looking set up don't like some the touch only controls set up. Explorer's ride is on the stiffer side for my taste. I did all my home work so the Durango won me over....I'm getting my Durango Citadel delivered tentatively on the 19th of April. Check the reviews on youtube for both vehicles.
    Congratulation. Please let me know how you enjoy the new Durango. I may consider one too. Thanks
    Well I just picked up my Durango (Citadel) yesterday and people around my work are in awe and amaze with the looks and quality of the truck. Its a joy and awesome to drive it even though I have only put 20 miles (back and forth from home to work). If you are in the market for an suv I highly recommend you consider the Durango...see it and test drive in person compare it to the other similar competing makes, its the only way don't settle for one brand test them all.
    Thanks. I will take a test drive on May. I will try to by a new one by June/July. I also consider Grand Cherokee b/c they are same platform. Congratulation again.
  • aviatorstackaviatorstack Member Posts: 3
    I have had my new Durango Citadel in Black Brilliant Pearl with Black Interior for a week now. I researched and test drove the Ford Explorer too. I did not research the Acadia or Traverse as I had no interest in their looks or GM moniker. We did look at some larger SUV's, like the Expedition, Armada and Sequoia, but were turned off by the massive size and minimum of $10000 in additional cost. This is the third Durango I have owned in addition to a 1998 model and a 2006 model. I have never had any problems with my Durango's. I was set to buy the Ford Explorer as the reviews seemed good and the fit and finish were great, but then I test drove the Durango and let me tell you; it is in a class all by itself. The interior is absolutely GORGEOUS! The fit and finish are very high quality and the controls are very simple to operate, yet very high-tech. The interior technology in the Explorer struck me as cheesy and I couldn't get over the fact that "Microsoft" was prominently displayed below the center stack.

My Citadel has the 5.7 Hemi with rear DVD and tow package. The MSRP was $49180 and I got it for $45052. This Durango is strides above the competition in terms of curb appeal, fit and finish and power. A V8 engine was not even an option with the Explorer which was a concern for me as I do some towing on occasion. The technology is integrated with driving in a way that is not obtrusive or annoying. The voice communication is simple and just works. The adaptive cruise control is a must, along with the rear camera and blind spot assist systems. The 1 year free subscription to Sirius Radio, TV, etc. is the best I could find. The next closest free trial was for 6 months on Ford vehicles. My kids appreciate being able to watch kids TV channels in the back...who would have thought?

The biggest drawback for me is that the price seemed high for a Durango, but once I came to understand the technology, etc. included it seemed like a no brainer. The new Durango is the Cadillac of Chrysler SUV's. There are Durango Express models that start at around $32000 if price is a concern. Also, I'm a little concerned that the 5.7 HEMI engine in this 2011 Durango appears to get only about 1 mile more per gallon than the 5.7 HEMI in my 2006 Durango.

All in all, I'm completely satisfied with my decision.
    Congrats on your new ride!!! like you I looked at the other SUVs but find the Durango the best one and just the right size for my family. I looked at the Explorer also but somehow the styling seems generic it just didn't have the street presence....the Durango has the loud look to it and curb appeal! The ride/suspension set up is sophisticated and is dialed in right for my liking than the Explorer which seems a little stiffer for my taste. The Explorer Limited is a bit more expensive @ 50k, the Acura MDX was the other suv that I consider but imo it was overpriced and the center stack instrument and buttons are overwhelming...luv the simplicity and placement of controls/buttons on the Durango and it was 10k cheaper. Folks at Chrysler are on the right track with their product lines and they have a winner in the Durango.
  • mayhermayher Member Posts: 41
    avaitorstack:

Congrats on your new Durango. I am about ready to pull the switch and purchase one soon. Keep going back and forth between the 6 and the HEMI. The 6 is probably adequate for my needs, but I love the power and smoothness of the Hemi. $4.25 + per gallon gas scares me. What type of mileage have you been getting.

Thanks
    Mayher:

The MPH is definitely better on my 2011 Durango 5.7 HEMI than it was on my 2006 Durango HEMI, but only by about 1 MPG. I'm getting 15 to 16 MPG in town and upwards of 22-23 on the highway. Unfortunately the V6 engine is not available with the factory installed trailer tow package. Even though the V6 Durango is certified to tow 6200 lbs., it does not come with the tow package. The tow package also includes a tranny cooler, upgraded battery, etc. which were more important to me than the milage savings I might get with the V6.

For me the engine choice was all about towing. If you are not going to tow, then get the V6. :-)

Good luck!
    Just a quick update....since I've put over 1000 miles on my new Durango Citadel. The milage is actually a little better than I previously reported. I get 16-17 MPG in town, which is about 2 MPG more than my 2006 HEMI Durango. Also, the handling is OUTSTANDING. I have been really "pushing" it around corners, etc. and it handles like a BMW. I can't even get the wheels to squeal while taking corners fast. The Durango just digs in and turns as though it was on rails; no body sway or feeling like the car is going to tip. WOW!
    I agree the handling on the new Durango is sweet! reminds me of a German sports sedan that's why I fell in love with it and went away from buying an 2011 Acura MDX which was my first choice. The MPG between the MDX and the hemi is negligible and the Durango top of the line model - Citadel is 10k cheaper than the MDX.
  • luvmyhemi1luvmyhemi1 Member Posts: 1
    I totally agree with the handling. Love my new Durango. We traded in our 2008 Durango for the new 2011 and it's amazing how much different this one is. Don't get me wrong - I also liked the 2008 but this 2011 is amazing. They really did a great job on the interior and the handling is completely different now that it's not on a truck chassis - almost handles like my 2006 Charger RT. For anyone looking for a great suv for the price this is a great buy (and the 5.7 hemi is a must in my book, but I also have a lead foot).
    Luv the driving position on the Durango way better than my Acura TSX. It just handles and drives like a car. I agree the 5.7 hemi is awesome that's what I wanted and so do I have a lead foot :cry: Has anyone fill up from empty to full tank? how much did it cost to fill up a full tank of gas and what is the capacity? (haven't read it yet from owner's manual).
  • thedurangoguythedurangoguy Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my Durango Crew WITH tow package and V-6 (plus a couple other options). Dealer did a search and found a couple that met my needs, so they are out there with tow packages. Did a dealer trade and got it within a couple days. Love the vehicle so far with 26 MPG on highway and 19 city driving. Will tow an 18 foot fish and ski boat locally for first time this week. Owners manual says not to tow anything for 1st 500 miles and limited towing (not to exceed 50 miles per hour) on second 500 miles. I have not qualms about pulling this boat with this V-6 - ample power in my opinion. Feel the v-6 will be gas thrifty when not towing and meet my need when towing.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I'd be interested to know how well the v6 tows a boat that size. The reviews are coming in with remarks stating that it's not as good as some others, be for me the opinions of actual owners is more valuable.
  • ewing1ewing1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Stone white Durango RT back in May of this year, and what a amazing SUV! I love it! I've actually set cruise @ 65 and got 25-26 mpg on a flat Hwy, average back and forth to work (hwy and city driving) I ave a little over 19mpg. I've owned a 2004 Durango limited hemi since 2005 and it still has never been in the shop and has been a great vehicle, now, with that said, it doesn't compare to the 2011's. Dodge needs to be congratulated for producing such an awesome SUV.
  • deepwater805deepwater805 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    I got a new 5.7 lt Hemi Dark Charcoal / Black and Tan Citadel back in April, and couldn't be happier. It has everything but the DVD, and since no one (that I know of) is putting Blu ray into cars yet, and all my movies are Blu Ray, I decided not get that option. I traded in my old 05' Durango for it, and the difference is like night and day. Don't get me wrong, The 05' D was exactly what it was supposed to be: a tough old truck, but I decided that I wanted some luxury to go with toughness too. The 2011 Citadel has it in spades. It's tough, but elegant. There's allot of soft touches to the interior to make a grown man cry. Nothing too cutesy pie. Just well thought out, well designed controls, and features. If I didn't know it was a Dodge, I wouldn't know it was a Dodge. I looked at the 2011 Explorer, and Lincoln MKX, but they fell way short on the tough truck meter. Having said all that; I have done a few minor mods to it though. I absolutely had to get rid of those plastic covered chrome rims, and replaced them with real 20"x 9" American Racing Circut chrome rims. They look very OEM, and are an inch wider with the same diameter, so they're not too wild. I also got an OEM style dash kit, and some black MGP caliper covers, but that's it on the mods. This baby looks good enough as is, and I'm a happy guy.
    Congrats man on your new D!!! yeah was wondering why car manufacturers are not putting Blu Ray units into their vehicles. Anyway check out, register and be a member of Dodge Forum (3rd Gen Durango)...show your pride & joy! my username in that forum is sidewinder9m.
  • txpackersfantxpackersfan Member Posts: 27
    I've been looking at large SUVs for a while now and will soon look at the Durango. I've narrowed my list down to the Sequoia and MDX. I really like the looks of the new Durango, but I'm very concerned about long term quality. I owned a Dodge back in the early 90s and the quality and re-sale value were so poor that I've been a devoted Honda person ever since. Unfortunately the Honda Pilot doesn't appeal to me. I don't like the interior or exterior looks which is why the MDX is on my list. Another thing I don't like about the new Durango is it only offers a 5 speed automatic. In this day and age, 6 speed seems pretty standard. It does look like the 2012 Hemi powered Durangos will have a 6 speed so that may be an option. It's interesting to read on these forums about all the problems people have with the Hemi motor. Unfortunately you can't tell if this is truly a huge problem or just a vocal minority.

I know this vehicle is still new, but I'd like to hear people's comments on the quality who have owned it for 6 - 12 months. And any other positive or negative feed back on the vehicle. Would you buy it again?
    Like you I was a loyal Honda person....I was set to buy a '11 Acura MDX but after seeing and a test drive of the Durango I was impressed and took a chance. The amount of standard equipment and options gave it huge advantage in price vs the MDX and imho the MDX is overprice. Yes I hear ya 6 speed tranny are the norm now but don't knock off the 5 speed its more than adequate for the job and for the hemi motor its one reliable powerplant (still see a lot of older gen Durangos). The quality of materials used in this vehicle is I would say its outstanding!
    Thanks for the reply. Which version of Durgano did you get? Does it have the V8? We're looking at the Citadel with the Hemi.

It's nice to hear from another loyal Honda person. I've been burned by Dodge before and seen too many others also burned that I'm not sure I'll take a chance. I typically keep my vehicles for 10+ years so I need something I know will last.
    I got the Citadel AWD with the 5.7 hemi...same here I typically keep vehicles for at least 10 years. First time for me to own a Dodge we'll see how it stack up as far as reliability, I'll give it a 2 year evaluation period. If it shows some reliability problems then I may promptly trade it in for an import (Acura).

So far its been a great driver, luv it the way it handles and drives like a car!
  • ewing1ewing1 Member Posts: 2
    2011 RT. 4700 miles, no problems so far. This Durango is built so well..., I don't forsee having any. Dodge has come a long way in terms of quality since the 80's and 90's. I was a straight up Chevy Man until 2005 when I bought my first Durango, and now it has over 100k and has never been in the shop except for normal maitenance and 1 smoking dash recall. Dodge is building quality vehicles now.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2011
    I finally got a chance to look at a Durango yesterday. The only model the dealer had was a Crew and I'm looking for a Citadel. I didn't drive it since I want the V8 and this one was the V6. My wife and I did sit in it and checked out comfort in all the seats. The first thing my wife noticed and didn't like was the leather seats. The leather is very hard and not comfortable. Not sure how it is on a long drive, but just sitting in the parking lot it wasn't comfortable. The dealer did mention that the Citadel has a higher quality leather.

Overall fit and finish seemed very good. I also was impressed with the third row seat. I'm 6'-1" and I fit back there. Definitely would not want to sit there for a long trip though; kind of claustrophobic back there.

I also didn't like the look and feel of the dash. Very hard and grainy which just screams cheap to me.

After this look over, we went to the local Toyota dealer to look at a Sequoia. This is the other SUV we've narrowed our choice down to. Immediately we both noticed a difference. Seats were so much more comfortable. Interior materials higher quality. Much easier access to third row. Granted this is a much bigger vehicle, but gas mileage is about the same.

We still want to drive a V8 Citadel since it will save us about $3,500 upfront and a few hundred in gas savings each year. It definitely has a lot more features for the price than the Sequoia too. But in the end I think Toyota will get my money. Right now it's the one I can see owning for the next 10 years.
  • ozcop1ozcop1 Member Posts: 6
    I have looked at several, test drove an RT and a Citadel...Citadel definitely has the better seats, not hard and harsh feeling like the RT...pretty dang nice really. I'm waiting for price reduction on 2011 models, since the lots are full of 2012s...haven't seen anything of significance yet...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2011 or 2012 Dodge Durango who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 31, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dabango_2dabango_2 Member Posts: 1
    Very nice vehicle. Had 215000 on my 2000 durango and really wanted a new one after seeing them.I bought the crew with the hemi took a trip to branson from wi. and got 22.5 mpg with cruise set about 74mph. The most mileage that I ever got with my 2000 was 19.7 with the 4.7 litre engine. So I got a bigger more powerfull vehicle which drives great and saves me money compaired to the old one.The fit and finish are great and have gotten tons of compliments on it.Dodge did a great job with this vehicle. :)
  • ozcop1ozcop1 Member Posts: 6
    Finally did the deal! Ended up with a black Citadel, 5.7 AWD w/tow group, two tone interior, with tan leather. Got everything except the DVD rear seat group...the one in my 05 had never been used so really didn't want that. Got 7K off the sticker, which is withing a grand of what I wanted to get. So far loving it. Only owned it a week as of today and only 300 miles, but it has averaged 16.2 mpg in local only driving. Black was my least favorite color, but the dealer had 4 of these all equipped the same, same sticker price, and were willing to deal and give me a decent price for my 78K mile 05 Limited with hemi... Hoping this one is as reliable as the old one...it certainly rides and handles much better...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2011
    A reporter is interested in talking with parents who own a 2011 or 2012 Kia Optima, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus, Honda Fit, Honda Odyssey, Mazda 5, Subaru Outback, Dodge Durango, or Toyota Sienna. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Pamela

Pamela Morris
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.