Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• OMG sounds like ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Same issues here. I have had everything fixed and lucky to be talking to you right now as I was almost killed the last time it stopped on me in traffic. The dealer does not know how to fix it. They only fix the issues that come across on the bulletin and tells them how to fix it. I too was told, those cars just sound that way. It's all just crap. I miss my TOYOTA...............I miss TOYOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They took care of their people and the issues. I just want to wake up from this nightmare. I have an attorney and am pre pared to tell my story to a full jury. I hope it comes down to it. I want others to see my pain.
  • mcgermmcgerm Posts: 21
    I saw another Equinox stopped by the side of the road today and I pulled over to see if they were OK. It ended up being a co-worker in my building who has been having the same engine startup noise and now stalling. They purchased their LTZ 4 cyl a week before I bought my LT 4 cyl. We should compare build dates.
  • mcgermmcgerm Posts: 21
    This may point a path forward on the MPG issue:

Los Angeles Superior Court Commissioner Douglas Carnahan awarded Heather Peters $9,867 on Wednesday, saying Honda did mislead her about the expected mileage.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/01/woman-wins-small-claims-suit-over-hon- da-hybrid-mpg/#ixzz1lBqDfhmS
  • I too have been told everything i am experiencing is NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Normal Characteristics of the car...WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess GM is telling them to say it all....
  • An Attorney is the ONLY WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • HA! I got one survey on my first oil change. Since these issues started with my EQUISH***, NO Surveys have come to me. Go Figure.
  • Contact an Attorney that is reliable and use the BBB to check them out. If you want the name of my attorney, you can email me at [email protected] I will provide it to you.
  • Update to my saga, took car for a second opinion per GM representative to a different dealer on Thursday 2/2/2012. This dealer has a "Master" Technician on staff and he found 2 bulletins, 1 on the electric steering motor and one on the steering gear. They have ordered the parts for both and will call me when they come in.
    I will post after this is done. Hopefully this will fix the problem!

gfrustrated
  • Update to my saga, took car for a second opinion per GM representative to a different dealer on Thursday 2/2/2012. This dealer has a "Master" Technician on staff and he found 2 bulletins, 1 on the electric steering motor and one on the steering gear. They have ordered the parts for both and will call me when they come in.
    I will post after this is done. Hopefully this will fix the problem!

gfrustrated P.S. Sent reply to wrong person originally!
  • bubbzbubbz Posts: 1
    So, I was getting ready to purchase a new Equinox. I was going to trade in my truck. Well after reading this thread, I have opted not to purchase this vehicle. Blame the problems and the poor customer service I have read about on here. Personally it's not so much the car, it's more about the piss poor service people are receiving. Congrats GM, you lost a potential customer.
  • katemonsterkatemonster Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    A little history:
    My 2011 Equinox is 13 months old and has ~17k miles on it. It has been well maintained. I live in a sub arctic climate, which means the vehicle sees temps as low as -40 or colder regularly in the winter but the car is parked in a garage at night an correctly winterized for the conditions. Other cars that I have had have not problems in this arrangement. I have had NO problems with the car up until now.

The Problem:
    Last Monday I was leaving work (car had been sitting for about 3 hours, and I had let it warm up about 30 minutes before driving) I was about 30 minutes into my drive when my gauges zeroed, several service lights came on, and the screen behind my steering wheel displayed the message "Check Tire Monitor". My radio, however was working fine. Thinking this was very strange, I noted that I was only a couple miles from my dealership and changed my route to go straight there. I stopped at the next intersection and when I got going again I realized I had lost my power steering, my turn signals and head lights. This made me very nervous but I kept going.

Once I got to the dealership I parked the car and decided I would try restarting the car to see if things fix themselves. I couldn't even put the car in park! So sitting with my car stuck between park and neutral, I tried to open the door, which of course, due to the "safety features" of the wonderful Equinox, stayed locked while not in park. I couldn't override the lock with the center console unlock button either. Panicking, I called the dealership (thank you iphone!) and explained over the phone that what had happened and that I was now locked in my vehicle in their parking lot.

His first question for me was "Cobalt or Equinox?" second was "2005 or 2006?" He seemed very surprised when I told him it was a 2011. He told me to meet him at the vehicle (like I could go anywhere) and hung up. While waiting, I WAS able to get myself out using the peg next to the window (these don't seem to be meant to be used anymore, they go more of the way down into the door and aren't easy to grip). The service guy tried to jump the car and no success.

I sat in their waiting room for 3 hours to be told that a "control module" had "burned up" and that it was literally smoking when they took the cover off of it. They set me up with a rental and told me it would be less than a week.

Today, it has been a week. When I called, they told me it would now be more like mid week.

I think what they intend to do is simply drop a new module into place.

My question is...

Has this happened to anyone else?

Is there a chance there is another problem elsewhere in the car that could have precipitated this issue? I'm a Mechanical Engineer but I have no clue when it comes to electronics.

I drive 50 miles a day through un-populated areas to get to work. I need a reliable car. Do I need to worry about this happening again?
  • Re: Steering Noise - It's gone!!! They replaced the Electric Motor and Gear, now it works just like it is supposed to, QUIET!!! Don't let your dealer or GM give you the run-a-round!! Had it fixed at Capitol Chevrolet in Salem, Oregon. They did a fantastic job, found the problem in 30 minutes and ordered the parts. The part number for the Motor and Gear is, 20857570.
  • I'm glad to hear that Capitol Chevrolet took such great care of you, gfrustrated! Many happy, quiet miles to you!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • smazzsmazz Posts: 3
    My 2011 Equinox has 14800 miles and is 11 months old. Daily I drive about an hour home from work in stop and go traffic. Toward the end of my drive one day a month ago as my car was shifting from 3 to 4th gear, it acted like it went into neutral, RPMs went really high and then several seconds later it "jumped violently" back into gear. This happened a couple more times over the next few days, so I took it into the dealer. They did software updates, etc. and then three (3) of them drove it, including one driving it home from work. Only one of the gentlemen who drove was driving it went the problem briefly happened. They suggested that I NOT drive it in ECO mode and switch it off and that might resolve the problem. I did just that and now it is still doing it. My fear is that when it happens I suffer from a rapid deceleration and since I am not applying the brakes, no brake lights go on and I am going to get hit from behind or it is going to stay stuck in "neutral" permanently. I have a 10 year son and I am afraid someone will hit us from behind when this happens. I took it to the dealer again yesterday. They couldn't find anything again, so they called GM. GM said that they are AWARE of the problem, but don't know how to fix it. Their suggestion to the dealer was to tell me to PUT it on ECO mode and see if it does it. I told the dealer that I had it in ECO mode the first time when I brought it in and they told me NOT to drive it in ECO mode and see if it does it. Basically, GM knows about the problem, doesn't know how to fix it and I am stuck with a vehicle that is CLEARLY unsafe. :lemon:
  • I'm glad to announce the nightmare is over! After months of frustration and fear, my 2011 Equinox is gone. A GM rep and engineer met with us today and offered us trade assist to get out of the nightmare. I upgraded to a 2012 6cyl with an upgraded stereo and wheels, same color that retailed for $3k more. I actually received the full purchase price, a discounted vehicle (thanks to the dealer), and a lower financing rate for less than $20 more a month. If we would have traded without the assistance of GM, we would have lost our pants! Thank you GM for listening. I would like to wish everyone else the same results. I also pray that no life is sparred due to the hesitations when pulling out. Thank you all for listening!
  • firstnoxfirstnox Posts: 12
    Congratulations on your tenacity in resolving the problem. I think it would be helpful if you would share some of your specific communications with GM that helped you resolve the problem - things that you learned to help you and things to avoid. Many of us a struggling with the same issues and any tips would be helpful.

Good luck with the new Nox!
  • smazzsmazz Posts: 3
    Glad to hear they took care of you! I have almost the exact same problems with my 2011 and have a small child and I fear exactly what you were talking about regarding pulling out and getting hit or getting rear-ended when it suddenly decelerates. I am working with my dealership and they are in contact with GM as well and hoping I get resolutions soon too! Congrats again and I hope the new one is safe and gives you no more problems :)
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    What great news, missydubo. I'm glad that you got a satisfactory resolution, and wish you many happy miles in your 2012!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good morning smazz,

I see that you've made multiple trips in to the dealership, and can understand that the current "know about but no fix yet" you mentioned is frustrating. If I were able to look into progress with that I certainly would, but unfortunately I don't have access tho that information.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work through this, and if we can assist further, please don't hesitate to contact us via email (I have two addresses posted in my profile here on the Forum).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Still having problems with my 2011 Equinox LTZ. We took a trip to NC and the MPG was 27. Of course the best you could go was 55 mph because of the mountains. Going to FL. I could only get 26 mpg because keeping with the flow of traffic @ 75mph your mpg drops. I used to get 32-34 MPG on my Impala with a six cyl. I still feel the fluttering @ ~ 55mph and the clunking when shifting between gears on a slight incline. The rattling sound during start up was corrected after the actuators were replaced twice. The vehicle died once and had to be towed to be repaired. We were planning on taking a trip to MA and we are having doubts. I just think we ended up with a lemon. Our dealer wants to charge us $4000 to buy it back and get a 2012. This will have cost us a total of $34,000. to have driven 19,500 miles of worry of which several miles were back and forth to the dealership. Does this seem fair?
  • ejbergejberg Posts: 3
    I've been having an intermittent problem with a rough/rattling start ever since I bought the vehicle new in July 2011, and I drive it over 500 miles a week. I've had it to the dealer several times, but they haven't fixed the problem and they only managed to witness it once. They have reprogrammed the ECM and replaced parts related to cams, but the problem has never gone away, and I may pursue a refund under the lemon law. I'm afraid that with timing and cam issues, major irreparable damage may be happening in the engine that will haunt me later. I am about to try another round with the dealer, but each time I end up leaving frustrated and just put up with the noise even though it started shortly after I bought it as a brand new car. Recently I've had a couple instances where it felt like the clutch slipped momentarily under acceleration, so I'll be taking this up with the dealer on my next visit. Mostly I like the vehicle, but this problem is driving me nuts and the dealer can't figure it out.
  • Just stay firm and persistent. Keep calling your GM rep and supervisor and don't take no for an answer. Stay as professional as possible in your communications and document everything. Ask for a meeting with an engineer and rep to drive your car. If you receive no satisfaction, retain a lawyer. The engineer explained to us that the 6 speed transmission works to remember the way you drive and hold the highest gear possible to help with gas mileage. When more than 1 person drives the car, it looks for a median. They in no way admitted anything was wrong with my vehicle but did satisfy my request to get out of it. 100 miles and my 6cyl is perfect so far! Good luck to you all.
  • I had the same problem when starting the engine. I heard that the cam actuators were defective and many defective replacement parts were still in the field, thus the repeat problem. Once the improved parts were available the problem was resolved. Your dealer needs to check on getting the parts that have been improved. Should be a different part number/revision number/letter.

Good luck.
    Hope this helps

Sonny
  • caddo188caddo188 Posts: 2
    I have 21000 miles on my 2011 Equinox at this time. I has been to the shop several times for the same problems all other people have had on this forum. First was the crankshaft sensors which caused the car to run rough, decrease mileage and stall out at times and just die. Then it was the engine noise with the camshaft chain and sensors. Then the steering gear problem with the steering locking and binding up. Now it is the transmission, it acts as if the transmission is slipping while taking off, ussually does it from dead stop or when accelerating while turning at intersections. The vehicle jumps and jerks like a bucking bull. The vehicle also surges while crusing down the road at highway speeds now that they did the service on the camshaft and steering gear. The dealer has not been able to find or duplicate the transmission problem as of this weekend. The last time in shop was for 9 days for the camshaft and steering problem. Don't want to have future problems with this unit but seems to be a widespead problem with motor and tranny of this make and model. 2011 Equinox 1LT 4 cyl 6 speed auto. Somebody please help with diagnosis.
  • dhoff457dhoff457 Posts: 8
    I first posted in this forum about four months ago; my 2011 Equinox (5 months old at the time) completely shut off while going 55 mph on the highway - it was diagnosed as an ECM issue, similar to what many others have posted. (As an aside, the dealership had the car for a week, arranged for a rental car from a local Hertz and has since stiffed the rental facility; now Hertz is sending me invoices, acknowledging that even though this was arranged by the dealership, the renter is ultimately responsible).

All seemed OK for a while; we even drove from NY to Raleigh, NC in Feb and enjoyed the car on a long ride. Then last week, on two different days, the car stalled while waiting at a light. Luckily, it started up again both times but now I have to get this checked out and dread having to hassle with the dealership again.

Understandably, my wife is now afraid to drive her new car and feels it would be irresponsible to drive the kids or their friends in it, potentially knowingly putting them in harms way.

I appreciate the advice from others dealing with similar issues: how do I go about getting the dealership to exchange this car? We very much liked it and chose the Equinox after extensive research and test-drives. Or should i just cut my losses, sell it and buy a Honda?
  • Quote: "They couldn't find anything again, so they called GM. GM said that they are AWARE of the problem, but don't know how to fix it."
    I've heard this line before....
    My suggestion: Next time ASK to speak directly to the GM Rep they supposedly are talking to. I think this is a common pass the buck - appease the customer trick that is bogus! Nothing more than the old Good cop / bad cop ploy! Let's the dealer play the part of the good cop...
    BTW While on vacation I rented a Kia, angered me to think I chose the Equinox because of the fake 32 mpg claims GM promotes. Over my 2 week comparison... the Kia was a better vehicle. Quiet, excellent ride, great visibility.
  • The car has 65000 miles on it and uses a quart of oil every 1,000 miles Does t have a leak and is serviced reguarly every 3000 miles. Using mobil 5w30 syn. Like it requires. Engine runs rough when it is first started but clears up once it runs for a few minutes. Just recently the noise has appeared. I don t plan taking any bull from the Dealer. I know as a former Auto Tech what containaments do ta an engine. I will be takeing the car to the dealer this week. With all the service bulletins i ve read GM will have there hands full when dealing with me. They have one shot to get it right. : :(
  • We have the same problems with shifting and now starting to stall. Our dealer says they weren't able to duplicate the problem. My husband and I are on disability and bought the car because of the comfort and MPG. The highest we have ever gotten is 25. The dealer did a fuel induction they said was due at 30,000 miles -cost us $130 and our MPG dropped to 18. After 7 tanks of gas we are up to 21 MPG. We tried to trade in the car but couldn't get more than $17000 for a trade-in. Apparently other dealers know of the problems with the Equinox but not Chevy. We have had the car 14 months and have put 34000 miles on it. We want another vehicle if Chevy can't fix this one-further down the road I foresee major tranny and engine problems. We can't afford what these will cost in the future. Please help us.
  • gmbadgmbad Posts: 1
    So many problems with this 2010 Equinox.It has now gone to someone else to deal with the problems.I took a loss of over 10K on this vehicle.We will never buy another GM product.We replaced this thing with a Honda CR-V.Good luck with yours.
    dotsmom8,

We'd be willing to look into this further with you! If you haven't already, please send us your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, a summary of your vehicle concern, and the name of your dealership to [email protected]

My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from the forum, will assist you further.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service