Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• rayccraycc Member Posts: 28
    I manily use it to show the water temperature. I don't have a need for a smart phone. if I do, I don't think want to mount my phone and trun on the OBD app every time I get into the car. What if I forgot yo bring my phone.
  • crlstocrlsto Member Posts: 17
    Congrats on the purchase! I got the same model in Dark Grey Metallic and I love it! I believe the applique only protects the top of the bumper against scrapes when moving stuff (i.e. luggage) in/out of the hatch. The bumper protector does the same thing and covers more of the "face" of the bumper, but only folds out and does not attach or adhere to the bumper itself. You may not be able to leave it out overnight, nor do I think you can close the hatch with it folded out. Hope this helps...
  • crlstocrlsto Member Posts: 17
    Hi, I'd just like to know how many miles you've logged on the OD so far. I've still only got 1400 on mine. I would expect to get better mileage past 5-10k (hopefully)...thanks in advance!
  • dfong87dfong87 Member Posts: 171
    funny you ask: i put that 153mi trip in same mileage range as you are in. i think i finished that trip with 1429 on the odometer.

i too expect even better numbers as i get more mileage in, but i'm pleased so far.
  • photobug2photobug2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info, I won't order the bumper protector, since I need something to stay on the car while it is parked overnight on the street. I'm going to check out getting a paint protector from clearbumper.com. I don't know how much it runs for but it looks pretty simple to install and is made just for this purpose.

On another note, I wanted to comment on a previous posting of yours about the audio and Bluetooth system. I found it encouraging to know beforehand about how to stream music, since the dealer didn't really go into it much. I'm really pleased with how it works, though I still haven't figured out how to load my contacts from the iphone into the car. And it make take some getting used to - today I got into the car while i was on the phone leaving a message using my BT earpiece. I hung up the call as usual using the headpiece button, and a few minutes later the car audio kicked in saying I had used up all the recording time! So evidently the car's BT takes over when the engine is started, even if another BT device is already connected, and I had to hang up using the steering wheel control. My friend is going to wonder at all the dead air at the end of my voicemail.. :)
  • clarkbar6clarkbar6 Member Posts: 7
    I am fairly certain that the non-nav stereo in the limited cannot download contacts from an iphone (or anything really, check subaru bluetooth guide for compatibility).

My plan was to take my most called numbers (maybe 10 people) and manually program them in, and then beyond that hold the button on the phone and use siri.

i have seen some theories out there as to what the actual model of the head unit is, and maybe there is a firmware update to add better phonebook downloading functionality. I'll take delivery of my vehicle this week and be able to mess around with this way more than i should.
  • huskies87huskies87 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Limted with the Auto climate Control. I've noticed that the A/C does not kick on automatically. If I want A/C I have to hit the button. According to the instruction manual A/C should kick in. anybody else have this issue?
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Have you tried turning the temp control down?
  • huskies87huskies87 Member Posts: 2
    Yes--turned it to the lowest temperature and it didn't come on
  • dodman1dodman1 Member Posts: 7
    I finally figured out how to download my contacts from my aging e71 Nokia to my 2012 Impreza Limited HD Radio. I had no problem pairing my phone with the Impreza, but could only get my contacts loaded by using the manual mode. This worked but incoming calls just showed the number and no caller ID. Anyway I figured out how to download the contacts from my phone and it works well. You have to do them one at a time, but I only loaded 20 or so of my most used contacts. The process is as follows: First, turn your key to the Aux position so that your radio is powered. Next push the steering wheel on button and then select phone book. Once selected select ADD CONTACT and then BY PHONE as the method. Go to you phone and highlight the contact you want to download. Select SEND, then BUSINESS CARD, then VIA BLUETOOTH, then CAR MULTIMEDIA or whatever unique name you gave your radio when you paired the phone. Once selected the phone will send the contact to your radio, the radio will announce the phone number and ask you to confirm. Once confirmed the radio will ask you to give the number a name. Follow the prompts and confirm the name. Now when one of the contacts you have downloaded calls your number, both the number and name will display on the radio display. This is how the e71 Nokia works and I am sure it would be similar for other cell phones as well. I have not tackled my wife's iPhone 4 yet and I think that may be difficult if not impossible without a special App. I'll post if I figure it out.
  • bobdole888bobdole888 Member Posts: 38
    It works on mine.

You have to have both the center dial and left dial set to AUTO.

If it AC doesn't come on, turn the center dial off first, the put in on AUTO.

You should see the orange light on the right dial indicating AC is on.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    edited May 2012
    Where does the 3750 mile change come from? Dealer?

My manual indicates 3750 for the 6 cyliner engine only, not ours. Yea, I know it can't hurt anything to change it early, but I can't imagine the oil is contaminated enough to actually need it.

John
  • iliketoshiftiliketoshift Member Posts: 24
    cars101.com has a lot of good info. It notes that there's some discrepancies. Subaru's guideline of no more than 7500 miles between oil changes is really vague. I believe they say 3750-7500 depending on the driving. The dealer I had my first oil change at was ready to turn me away because I had not hit 7500 miles yet.

In some thread, some dealership said that 3750 for the first 2 oil changes, then 7500 afterwards was their guideline.

That makes sense because you want any detergents that are in the factory fill to do their work. (remove at first 3750 mark). Then you want a second short interval to drain away any of the loose metal in the engine (we're talking shards and shavings). After that you should be good to go on every 7500 miles.

I had mine changed at ~3500 miles, and the next will be at 7000. Afterward I'm going to feel comfortable at 6000-7000 miles between changes (or maybe just twice a year). Remember, we're running synthetic oil here.
  • wimchattawimchatta Member Posts: 28
    There is a lot of indication that the headlight is on, even if no single icon lights up. First, the in-dash display dims with headlight on. Second, the speedometer turns red when the headlight is on, but this can only be noticed when the ambient is not very bright (visible enough around dusk). Third, if you have a Nav, the screen is much less bright with the headlight on.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    the OEM schedule is every 7500 miles, dealers may define other based on heavy use (stop and go, high temps..etc)....My dealer gave me the first one at 3750 free...so it was a no brainer for me...then I changed again at 7500.....to get back on schedule....and now every 7500 for my Limited HB.....just crossed over 13.5K in mine.....
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    that's what I thought. My wife has put on 3500 miles in 2 months, so I think I'll wait for 7500. Oil is still amber, not dark.

John
  • impreza2012impreza2012 Member Posts: 4
    My car arrived in port on 5/29 (Providence). Hope to pick it up soon!
    Enjoy!

My Sport Limited rolled over 1K miles today ... while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. :(

Now that I'm passed the official break-in period, I hope I don't actually break it on my first road trip ... NJ turnpike and I-95 to Boston area.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Color, model, options?

Pre-congrats. :shades:
    edited May 2012
    Did you forget how to read English (and back-track links) after chanting for the Brazilian's last night? :P

Original Post

Answers: Marine Blue, Sport Limited w/ MR & Nav, remote starter

P.S. Mine is Camellia Red, Sport Limited w/ MR, cargo tray
    Quatro a Um vamos Brasil!

Sorry...

Does that come with the cool gray wheels? All Sports do, right?
    Yup, all Sports have the "cool gray wheels". :)
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    you probably will not begin to see optimum fuel economy until after the first OEM interval oil change at 7500.....Im at almost 14K on mine and just now seeing the best MPGs since picking it up the first week in Dec.....
    Similarly, my Forester didn't see peak mileage until about 15k miles' worth of break-in.
  • ctuswatleaderctuswatleader Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2012
    I just wanted to post how much I paid for my 5-door base model in case anyone is negotiating a price right now. I purchased from Byers Subaru in Columbus, OH in the middle of May and paid $19,283.50 (everything except taxes). The purchase price was $19,000 and title and documentation fees were $283.50. I was hoping to pay around $18,600 before fees and taxes, but I didn't have much bargaining power as all of the 5-doors that were arriving in the area were instantly selling out. The car was also in the satin white pearl color, which was exactly what I was looking for. A while back in April, I did receive an offer for $18,670 before fees and taxes if I was willing to place a factory order, but I waited too long and Subaru stopped taking Impreza factory orders. The only bonus I got from the dealer was the all-weather floor mats.

I wanted the cargo privacy cover, cargo tray, and back seat cargo protector, so I ordered those from subaruonlineparts.com (I'm not affiliated with them in any way). I paid about $230 shipped for those three accessories. I also wanted an aux jack, but the installation looked quite complicated for me, so I had that ordered an installed by Darrell Waltrip Subaru in Franklin, TN (I moved down to TN soon after purchasing in Columbus). I paid $175 for the aux jack (part + labor), and although it was expensive, I didn't want to risk voiding the warranty if something had gone wrong had it been installed by someone other than a dealership.

I will be sticking with Geico's mechanical breakdown coverage instead of purchasing an extended warranty unless I am convinced to do otherwise, mostly because of price.
  • clarkbar6clarkbar6 Member Posts: 7
    Took delivery of my Limited HB no-nav no-MR on Tuesday 05/29. Deep Cherry, with side molding and remote start. Here's what I think so far:

+ I ordered a month ago and got the car so fast because they found one coming in to the area and installed the starter and all at the dealer. The car that they got had splashguards on it already, so that was a bonus, and they threw in the mats and cargo tray too. Pretty cool, and I got an immensely good price by all accounts so they could have skipped the extras if they wanted.
    + The CVT takes getting used to. Sometimes I notice more engine breaking than normal. I have noticed that when going from reverse to drive and wanting to move quickly (backing out of a parking spot) that the car seems to be in neutral longer than you would expect. The car will drift backwards a bit more than you would expect before drive kicks in. I'll just have to get used to a little longer delay before hitting the gas so it doesnt jump.
    + The stereo doesn't sound terrible to me, but I'm listening to podcasts and not crushing the volume. bluetooth works well.
    + I'd like more backwards tilt on the seat to support my thighs better. I have long legs.
    + A lot of compliments on the color.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    I wish that were the case for mine. The best economy I managed (so far) out of that car was during the 2,200 mile drive home from the dealership. :cry:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • 90legacy2wd90legacy2wd Member Posts: 4
    Ordered 5dr premium, cvt Nav on March 13, 2012 in Missouri. Expected delivery was 4-6 weeks, then 8-10 weeks, now 2nd half June, which would be 3+ months. Finally got a partial vin last week. I think the NAV may be the hold up.
  • kellyb4kellyb4 Member Posts: 3
    Picked up our 2012 Impreza Sport Limited 5 door in the black/gray combo yesterday. It has moonroof, side door trim, strake kit and splash guards, bumper applique, all weather mats, and auto dimming mirror with homelink/compass. I hadn't even test driven the car and wow...I LOVE it. This replaces an Outback that just went over 174k and will now be a "work" car. We had a 152 mile trip back home with the car and averaged 40.5 mpg with an average speed on a two lane highway about 60-70mph. Half the ride was through winding hilly terrain and I love the feel of the car on the road. Very peppy! This was my first time driving a CVT and I agree with another poster that you have to learn to adjust for a little lag when first stepping on the gas. The car is quiet and very smooth riding. It is roomier in the front seat with two people than the 2000 Outback. I am still getting used to the Bluetooth and Audio functions. They have to be set while not driving...that will be today's task. The only question I have right now is how the "auto" function works on the lights. Does anyone know if I can leave my lights on "auto" all the time (even when the car is off) like I did in my old Outback? The manual is a bit confusing on that.
    Yes, you can leave the light on 'auto' and forget about it.
    I like to leave the fog light on also. The 'auto' will turn off all lights when you take the key out.
    While you have key in the on position, it will turn on the lights when the surrounding is dark.
    The bonus for leaving the fog light on is that you can then get the indicator light in dash to confirm that your lights are on. If you don't do this, then you'll have to look for the subtle difference of seeing the red 'glow' in the dahsh or noticing the dimmer displays on mpg meter/radio.
  • kellyb4kellyb4 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you! I used my fog lights on the Outback quite a lot, and just had to have them on the new car. Thanks for the tip.
    Hi clarkbar6,
    The Nav downloaded my Blackberry Torch contact list quite well, happened rather seamlessly after first establishing Bluetooth connection
    Hi bobdole,
    How does one leave the light on Auto mode? Am not near the car right now or would check right away, but this seems like such a good idea, i.e. to keep fog lights on as well.
  • cgalnycgalny Member Posts: 8
    My 2012 Impreza is closing in on 3700 miles and I'm still just as happy with the car as the day I picked it up. Except for the navigation system and touchscreen controls, that is, which I still dislike immensely...the only thing about the car I don't love.

I'm considering having the dealer install foglights, which I understand are the same lights installed at the factory.

For those of you that have the factory foglights...how do you like them? Are they sufficiently bright and do they adequately illuminate the sides of the road in addition to penetrating through the fog? Would you have preferred aftermarket foglights?
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/subaru-of-america-inc-breaks-may-sales-r- ecord-156380495.html

Sales nearly match the Forester. Usually it was 2 or even 3 to 1 ratio.
    Subaru should ignore the bean counters and shift some production from Forester to Impreza to accommodate demand. There's excess Forester inventory on dealer lots and no Imprezas.

Yeah, some people may decide to go with the more profitable Forester, but many people that want a compact car will head to the competition.
  • skid0skid0 Member Posts: 16
    The fogs aren't very bright, and don't extend much to the sides, and mine were aimed about 10 feet in front of the car, so useless until I raised them. I'd suggest you go aftermarket.
  • kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    skid0, can you raise the foglights? I must know how. ;)
  • skid0skid0 Member Posts: 16
    You can see the screws from underneath the car... Have fun!
    You need to have the limited or limited sport model, or you have to have the automatic headlight option.

On the left side stick where the headlight switch is, the first click is 'AUTO'.
    That's the automatic headlight mode.
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet in this form, but if you have or will be purchasing a new Impreza very soon, you can apply for a $500 gift card from Costco. This is the link: http://www.costcoauto.com/Subaru/Default.aspx

Link to the PDF form: http://www.costcoauto.com/subaru/pdf/2012subaru_redemption.pdf

I would probably just get the price as low as possible from the dealer and then apply for the gift card after the purchase has gone through as an added bonus. *Note: you have to be a Costco member in order to qualify for the gift card.

I just applied for mine and I received an email this morning saying that my gift card application has been approved by Subaru of America. I'm going to call them to complete the survey and then get my gift card!
    With Forester sales up 41% I bet a lot of people were upsold.
  • kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    Is this how two tone normally looks and feel? It seems like there is a strip between the black and grey of the paint. Is it not blended in anymore?
  • dfong87dfong87 Member Posts: 171
    that's exactly what i did. i applied for it after the fact, and just like you, today got the email telling me my form was approved and that they would either contact me for the survey or i could call a toll-free number. i did the latter a little while ago, and it was a quick painless survey and guess what: in the end, my dealer turned out to be a costco dealer, unbeknownst to me. so i also got on top of that a $50 voucher for use on service or accessories.

really sweet. i was already happy with the price i paid on my car, had a great shopping experience, and now i got an extra $550 to spend...not sure i would have bought any more accessories, but i can always buy a few oil filters with the money and i always can find something to buy at Costco :)
    How did you get the extra $50 voucher for service or accessories? Was that a dealer-specific offer or is that available to all Costco members?
  • photobug2photobug2 Member Posts: 4
    Hmm, can you join Costco after buying the Subaru and still get the gift card? I let my membership expire but I'd be happy to re-join in order to apply for the card..
  • imprezasportimprezasport Member Posts: 9
    What kind of gas mileage are getting with the Impreza? Is 20 in town and 30 highway about right?
    Your average should be higher than that.

On the EPA web site people are reporting 27 to 32 mpg as averages.
    Sure, I think it's probably not a problem if you join Costco again after buying your Subaru. All they asked for in the gift card application form was your Costco member number.

I would try contacting someone from the Costco rebate program to ask them just to be sure before you pull the trigger and put out the money to become a Costco member again (unless you were going to re-register again anyway).
    Also, as a Costco member, you'd be eligible for the 15% discount on parts, service, and accessories from a participating Subaru dealership.

Although the 15% discount isn't applicable to oil changes, I wish I had known about it before I had paid the dealership full price to have an aux jack installed in my base model!