Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

MB M Class Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• torievanstorievans Posts: 7
    Thank you so much!
  • ionelionel Posts: 5
    I had all this problems and with my 2002 ML 320. I try everything, the dealer fix one problem, and next week the car got a new one... my final solution was a new Lexus RX 330.
  • woodsonwoodson Posts: 2
    Hi, I posted my question on a new topic and could get any response. So here I'm I hope some of you could help! My question was:

I need your advice really bad--I'm in the market for a ML350. I got an offer from a MB dealer for a silver 2005 SE(was an loner car) for $32K with 13500 milages on it. It has sunroof package and NAV and it's certified. Also, I got another offer from another dealer for a black used 2006 with Nav, it has about 14k milages but it's not certified. May I ask which one is better deal? Is it worth to pay over 9K more on an 06? Any input I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
    Sorry I forgot to say the offer for 06 is 41K. Thanks!
  • torievanstorievans Posts: 7
    What did you end up doing with the car??? Did they ever fix it? Funny you say the Lexus rx330 because that is exactly what we are looking at also. We just need to get my car running and now we are on 2 weeks. Any suggestions????? Thanks for your response :0)
  • phxmaxphxmax Posts: 6
    I have an ML 320, 2002 with 60k miles. We have this same problem (ABS/BAS/ ETS/Brake lights on), also been to MBZ shop 2 x, and a 3rd time today, not sure what will come of it. I am so frustrated someone recommended me to join this group. Does anyone know why they are having so much trouble fixing this? Other than that the car ran very good.

So frustrating!!
    PHX Max
  • Wanted to see if you got the car fixed. Mine was in the shop for more than 2 weeks. Finally after 14 different parts that did not fix the problem. They got it...
    I changed to a different MBZ dealer service. And after some trial and error with them too, they said the ABS/ATS/etc.. control unit plug, which is similar to the multi-pin port in the back of your computer, may have had some loose pins. They fixed the pins, cleaned it up, they plugged it again. 10 days so far no problems. They did change many parts as with your case too, including the control unit itself; they checked the hydraulics, ABS pulse pump. Good Luck.
  • Good, I'm glad it is working well. Cross those fingers. Mine is running smothly as well and I do love it again :0) Have a great day
  • grahamdgrahamd Posts: 1
    My wife's ML350 electrical system recently melted down while parked and turned off at work. She came into the garage in time to see smoke from her hood filling the entire garage. The building maintenance crew extinguished the smouldering with fire extinguishers.

Her car is under still under warranty; however I am not sure what MB USA is going to do. My core question is what type of damage to the electrical system can this burn cause? We have requested a comparable replacement vehicle or an extended electrical warranty provided by MB. No response yet. We don't want to pull the car into our garage at night and have it burn out house down.
  • ab8ab8 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 ML500 last week (certified used car) and started seeing the problem of jerky transmission in about 2 days after purchase. I got it back today from MB service and they told me that they worked on 4 recalls and updated the software on transmission.

I drove the car about 50 miles after ther repairs and did not see the same problem again.

My concern is the long term reliability of the fix. Does any one else have the experience of this probelm and the success of the software update fix.

I appreciate your kind responses.

- Concerned MB owner
  • I recently got rear ended with my 2006 ML350, and I'm looking for a decent body shop, the 2 body shops that 2 separate MB dealerships have referred me to has issues I've heard about through friends. My concern is the matching of the paint. I've worked with other body shops and they can't seem to match the paint. Please email me with your references and experiences. Thanks!
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Check out the Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair discussion too.
  • I have 2001 ML-430 and I have same problem. I spoke with service advisor many times and got no where. Problem is I can not create the problem when I'm in dealer to show them. They can not help me without seeing it or don't want to help.))
  • I have a ML500, 2002, and recently the Navigation System has been giving me a little problem. It may not come on when I start up the engine. There is a blank screen. After a while, it finally does come on. So if it doesn't work every time I start up the car, I've learned that if I wait long enough it will.

I had the car in the dealer's for something else. (Problem #3,490...) I asked if they would check the thing out. They did and said, the "ECU" needs to be replaced for $1,200 plus labor. (I later got them to give me the "good guy" price: $1,250 with labor. Whoopee.) The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) was for the Navigation System only. (There are many ECU's throughout the car, I'm told. This I know, because I had to replace the one for the electrics, and it was pretty expensive.) Anyway, it was "slowing burning out," they said and would soon be completely shot. I know very little about electronics, but I don't believe that an electronic control unit slowly burns out. In my experience they either work or they don't work. And when this thing works, it works. It may not come on right away, but when it does, it does.

So I asked if it were some hardware connector or something, and they said no. ECU. Replace. $1,200.

Here are my quesitons: (1) Where is this ECU? If I replace the entire CD-based Navigation System, does it also replace the ECU? Can I just buy a new navigation box and exchange the unit and all will be well? Or does it live somewhere where only ECU trained mechanics (an oxymoron I believe) know where to find it. (2) Can I buy the newer DVD-based navigation system, replace the old model and thereby fix the problem? Or do I need to replaced this ECU thing no matter what navigation system I have installed. Or.... (3) is this all a scam?
  • i am having the same problem with my ml500. Did u find out what is the cause ?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a large daily newspaper is looking to speak to Mercedes-Benz owners in the Washington DC area about the expectations you have with the car when you purchase it and any problems you’ve had to deal with. Please provide your daytime contact info to [email protected] no later than Monday, October 16, 2006.
  • my 2000 ML has 85K miles and BAS ESP light comes on after two minutes of driving. I am not noticing any changes in driving.
    I just recently change my brake switch and light still stays on. does any one know what it could be?
    From PHXMAX:

See the earlier postings we had on the subject (#576, 578, 579, 580) for possible causes. Mine works fine after 2 months. Good Luck.

PHXMAX
  • apryzapryz Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 ML320 and the hood is full of paint chips also, but even more odd is that the windshield has hundreds of marks like it was hit by rocks.
  • I am curious as to the outcome of your situation.
    What did you do with the vehicle?
    Did you ever find out what the problem was?
    Thanks?
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    I own a 2006 ML350 with the power liftgate. Quite often when I close the thing I get a warning as I drive off that the liftgate is still open.

Sometimes it won't happen for weeks at a time, and sometimes it happens every few tries.

I'd take it to the dealer but if they can't replicate the problem I would've wasted my time.

Is this a widespread issue or am I just unlucky?

Thanks!!
  • Had the same problem........It's well known and all MB service departments are aware of it. Today the dealer replaced the motor in my ML 350 that pulls the hatch in the last inch of travel to the latch position. Hey, it's a luxury car........MB is not going to shine you on. Take it in.
  • I purchased my 2006 Ml 500 in July of 06' & I to have experienced the 'jerking' motion! i thought it was something I was doing until i read your message. I am appauled at what is happenning with this vehicle (that I love dearly). I purchased this vehicle in Newport Beach, Ca & I reside in northern California, I plan to take the vehicle back to the dealership next week for my 13,000 nile oil change, I LOVE this vehicle, are there any questions I should ask the dealership in regards to this on-going 'surge' of a problem?
  • What sounds like my power steering pump has been getting louder and louder over the past several months. It's much louder when it's cold; and, the volume of noise appears to corrlelate somewhat to the number of RPM's. It makes noise even when I'm not steering...and gets louder when I steer or increase RPMs. Any idea what's going on? Fluid level is fine in pump. Thanks for any advice/info.
  • pfentonpfenton Posts: 16
    I suspect it may be the chronic crankshaft pulley problem.
    The defective part is a recall item and I had the repair
    done on my wife's 98 ML320 last year free of charge. Have this checked out immediately, as the defective pulley can
    disengage and take out the oil pan, timing cover(expensive) and could cause major steering control issues.
  • wadigowadigo Posts: 1
    As I can read from the post, this particular model is full of surprises. I have an oil leak somewhere in the front of the SUV. When the transmission get warm it start to shift like if it was a manual transmission, off the gas and going to the next gear. It drives me crazy because it sounds like is going to dead.
  • mokrymokry Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 ML 320 experiencing the same problem, loud whining noise. So thinking that the power steering pump was going out, I replaced it with a new one. Same noise exists. The belt tension pulley was replaced as well. So how do I now determine if it is the crankshaft pulley? Also, isn't the pulley hard mounted to the crankshaft?, is there rubber dampening material involved that wears out?
    The vehicle was check about 6 months ago at the dealer for the bad part number, mine was not on the list.
  • do you know where the computer box is located?
  • changing my oil, where is bolt located to release oil, is it directly under engine facing it should it be on your left sideways,please help
  • Once again, my 7 speed let me down. This time, it hangs in 4th or 5th gear. Went to the shop yesterday, but no word on it as of the end of business today.