Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying Useed 2007 Mazda5 Sport

cricketjlynncricketjlynn Member Posts: 4
A local dealership has a Used 2007 Mazda5 Sport Wagon for 7,949.00 with 85,304 miles on it and an automatic transmission. I am interested in purchasing this. It is only myself, and my three year so there were wont be alot of weight weighing this vehicle down. My main question, is this vehicle (this particular model/year) worth it? I mainly need something that is very dependable and that I wont have to worry about replacing in a year or two or three. We dont travel much, mostly to and from work each day (1 mile both ways). Maybe a 40 mile flat highway trip every other weekend to visit the grandparents. Thanks in advance for any and all input you may be able to provide

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    The drivetrain is quite reliable. The 5 suffers from some rear suspension issues, however. But I think it is a minor problem, personally. When/if the rear shocks go bad, just have an independent shop replace them with superior aftermarket units.

The price on that is quite low. Make sure it hasn't been thrashed or in any accidents. Dealers are paying over $7k for them at auction, which means, after transport, fees, and detail, they'd be into it for right around that asking price .... meaning they would make NO money on it. So that would throw a red flag for me on that one.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• cricketjlynncricketjlynn Member Posts: 4
    Thsnk you for your quick response. I was also caught off guard by that asking price and I am a little concerned. However it is a major dealership that has provided the CarFax for this vehicle. CarFax does not show any accidents or damage reported on the car. Regular mantinence,and such. 1 previous owner.
    That's a good start. I would still look over it very carefully or pay for an inspection. Carfax is far from foolproof.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The 2007 was too suspicious for me when we went to see it. I have found a 2009 mazda5 Sport at another lot for 13,999.00 at 54000miles. Going to look it over tomorrow.
    Where are you located and what color is the car? With that info, I can sometimes find the exact car that went through auction.

Anyway, a Silver one went through Minneapolis and got $11,200 a couple of weeks ago. So $13,999 is a pretty fair retail price. I might try for another $500 off or so.

Oklahoma. It is a royal blue color.
  • kittybellekittybelle Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a 2007 Mazda 5 grand touring with 71,582 miles from a mazda dealer. Should I buy an extended warranty? from the dealer or aftermarket? What should I check before buying? The car needs bodyshop minor repairs. I am concern about the timebelt, and a/c problems I have read about. The carfax report indicates it was a rental car and it had two owners.
    A website indicates it is a fair deal because I am paying over market value about $740.00. Any suggestion as to how to calculate a fair value to pay the dealer.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    1. I am not a fan of extended warranties but it is your choice.
    2. Only main issues with Mazda5 are suspension gremlins but cant escape those, you just have to live with them and/or constantly replace shocks and bushings (not covered by extended warranties...btw)
    3. No timing belt on MZR23 engine, its a chain.
    4. How much are you paying?