Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

New Civic vs Keep Existing?

fsdigital12fsdigital12 Member Posts: 3
I have a 2009 Civic Lx with 65,000 miles on it. Still owe around 5k for the finance.

Do I keep this car and drive it till it dies or trade it in soon and get a new one? I drive a lot as you can see, around 20k a year.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    erik25erik25 Member Posts: 2
    Had a 2009 lx auto civic and didn't liked the shifting of the auto and bought a 5 sp manual lx coupe.
    The 2012 is softer in the springs and makes lesser road noise that's good.But the sportiness is a bit gone with the new one.Drove 24000 miles with it and no issues so still a good car.
    Maybe you're better off with driving you 2009 and have a paid off car(in a few month's......years?
    My brother had a 1989 civic auto with 400.000 miles on it so you still have some miles to go,the civic was still fine,just do your regular oil changes,do mine myself at every 11000 miles.Get 44 mpg in summer and 41 in winter,did a bit less with the 2009.....but not by much.
    Look at a new one in 2 to 3 years and see if they finally make one worth buying........i mean the motors a top of honda but the outside could be more exciting.Also the new Civics will have CVT's,can you live with that?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Now is actually a bad time for you to trade it in - due to the high miles, it will be worth significantly less than other 2009's being traded in, so after the loan is paid off, you'll have a couple thousand to put down on another vehicle, which you will also put high miles on.

Keep it, and pay it off. If possible, try to pay MORE than your required payment amount to get it paid off more quickly. If you maintain the vehicle well and keep it looking decent, you'll likely still get at least $5,000 out of if in a few years... OR, at that point, you can keep driving it and experience the joy of having no car payment. No one can predict the future with certainty, but Hondas do well on trade-in, so I think you will NET more if you keep it and pay it off before you sell it. 65,000 miles is not a lot - it's not like it's on its last legs or anything!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews