Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Help Me Select a Wagon

Comments

• Interesting - thanks!

If I got the SS, first thing to go would be those stupid 18" wheels and tires. They make the ride harsh and leave the car open to damage by our LA potholes. Good 17" forged wheels and TripleTreads or similar premium all season should work fine!.

So Audi dropped its free maintanance?
    I assume that is going to add a whole bunch of cost to its ownership?
  • just visited their web site and it claims free maintanance is offered.

So is the web site wrong? Or does Audi plan a cut off date for this "perk" ?
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 3,558
    If your biggest concern is reliability and dealer backing, go for the 'Yota even in a first year design. But interiors tend to be rather plain which is probably why you're looking at the

A3. Great interior and driving, but how are they likely to hold up? Audi owners, what do you think

As for the Maxx, I'm not a fan of American cars, but I imagine it has a lot of space.

All 3 would drive so differently it depends on what you're looking for. After you drive them let us know your impressions.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Maybe they are going to but haven't discontinued it yet. I'm pretty sure I'd heard that.

-juice
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Posts: 271
    I have a dilemma. I can't decide which is the better car. I have looked around in both their classes. Only interested in base models. I love that they both have ABS and electronic brake distribution and Matrix has a tire pressure monitor. Both have driver and passenger front and side airbags plus offer rear curtain airbags. They each have available vehicle stability and traction control. Magnum has 27.2 cu. ft. behind the 2nd row and 71.6 with seats down. Matrix has 21.8 seats up 53.2 seats down. Matrix automatic mpg 28/34, Magnum does 21/28 mpg. Power windows and locks, keyless entry, and rear windshield wiper is an option, standard on Magnum. They both have front disc brakes. Matrix has rear drum. Magnum has rear disc. I understand Matrix has a lot of cabin noise while the better ride must be the Magnum. With everything mentioned above MSRPs are as follows: Matrix=$19,015, Magnum=24,670. Opinions on the better car. Is the Magnum worth the extra money in the long run? :confuse:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,469
    I would say get the Matrix if you are looking at the long run. You will save a considerable amount of money on gas, car payments and most likely on repairs as well.

If you are open to it, a Matrix with a manual tranny will have better acceleration, better fuel economy, and will be less expensive.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 848
    Magnum provides?

Krzys
    Keep in mind you're compaing a compact with a full-size, so let your needs determine which one to get.

Magnum is RWD, do you see a lot of snow? Do you haul heavy loads, enough to make use of the extra torque? Do you like to sit in a wide seat and spread out? Will you tow?

Matrix has better visibility, efficiency, lower cost to own, but it's also smaller and won't do as well hauling a lot of weight (look at the engine's torque). If all you need is a practical little car, it'll serve you fine.

Be honest with yourself about your real needs, then choose, and you'll be happier in the long run.

-juice
    Good advice. Don't haul anything heavy, just family and groceries. Magnum's a hot looking wagon but could save a lot of money with Matrix. Thanks!
  • We're about to have our fourth child, with all of the other three still in five point harness carseats. We can no longer squeeze anyone else in our sedan.

I am not interested in driving a massive vehicle-- I do not want to drive a minivan and I most definitely do not want to be driving an SUV.

I'm quickly coming to discover that it seems no one makes the old fashion station wagon any more. Any time I ask about station wagons-- they either point me to something that looks like an awful lot like a massive SUV to me (high off the ground, boxy, horrible gas mileage) or is a sedan-type car but only seats five and the extra space in the back is simply extra cargo space.

Does any carmaker continue to make station wagons with a sedan-type body and three rows of seating? My mother drove a Ford wagon forever, but gosh she bought that well over ten years ago.

I really do not want to be driving around some monstrosity on the road. That's why I'm still driving a sedan with my three kids already.

Thanks in advance for all that could help.
    Ford Freestyle fits, but is SUVish. Volvo makes one. The Mazda 5 is Vanish, but still small and nimble. Toyota Highlander is SUVish, but fits the bill. The Audi A6 is nice, but expensive. Mercedes also makes a wagon with 3 rows.

Unfortunately car makers know they can get more profit if they jack a vehicle up and put some cladding on it. I think they are afraid if they make nice logical wagons, then people will buy them instead of more profitable SUV's.
  • sharipatsharipat Posts: 1
    Station wagons with third-row seating won't help you if your other three kids are still in 5-point harnesses. I have a '99 Sable wagon with the rear-facing third row, and both the manual and the seat itself note that it is not to be used with a child's car seat. With 4 kids, you might want to look at the Mazda5 ... it's a 6-seater with sliding doors ... not as big as a van but will hold all your kids. I haven't driven one, though. The Ford Freestyle can seat 6 or 7 people (depending on whether the middle is a bench or buckets) and might be worth a look for you. But with all the little ones, you might need the sliding van doors that help with getting in/out.

Volvo and Mercedes still make third-row rear-facing seats in their wagons, but again, you probably can't put car seats in them. Also, if you have children in the third row, you have no place for groceries or cargo (another reason vans and SUVs are so popular -- there's room for people AND their stuff). I don't know if those wagons offer rear air, either ... my kids say our third row gets awfully hot in the summer with the only air coming out the front vents!

Sorry to disappoint you! I totally understand and wish things were different in the auto world!
    They used to make those, but they were good at one thing: scaring away customers.

Maybe try finding a good used model?

Freestyle probably comes closest to what you want. It's not an SUV, though it tries to look like one.

-juice
  • I'm looking for the same thing. The options are, as someone said, Mercedes Benz (which I have now) and Volvo. Both are rear facing 3rd row, which cannot take car seats.

I also dislike SUV's, but I did try the Toyota Highlander Hybrid (so it's not as gas guzzling and better emissions). It's a car base, fairly small (boxy, though) and has a third row forward facing (with a little room for gear). You may want to try it too.

Not sure what I'm going to do!

Iris
    Chrysler is stretching the 300's wheelbase, I wonder if they'll do the same for the Magnum? If so, that could be the true wagon you're looking for. RWD, too, like the old school ones.

-juice
  • blissfulblissful Posts: 79
    My Audi A (Model year 2000) had a 3rd row seat that was removable and suitable for kids. Had the seatbelts etc. Also, Volvo and Mercedes have these. Mercedes has the most rear cargo room, thus probably the roomiest rear area. I think the A6 had the smallest back end, but the tailgate opened really high, and at 6'1 I could comfortably stand up under it without ducking or hitting my head!
  • diaanadiaana Posts: 1
    Thinking about buying Dodge Magnum, but we get a lot of snow here in the winter time. Does anyone have experience driving this car in snow? Thanks in advance.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,256
    A beeter place to ask this would be of the Magnum owners int he Dodge Magnum discussion.

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Share your vehicle reviews

PF_Flyer's 2014 Versa Note Long Term Blog
    How To Start Your Own Long Term Blog

There's an AWD model, just for you.

-juice
    Has anyone else noticed the only midsize to large wagons are over 25000! I've been checking out large sedans like the Hyundai Sonata, Malibu Maxx, and Ford Five Hundred. They all are under 25000! I'm looking for 105 cubic feet of passenger volume, versitility, reasonable power, fuel economy, and decent crash test scores all under 25000! Is there any manufacuter out there willing to help? Hate SUVs! Refuse to buy one! :mad:
    The Five Hundred's sister, the Freestyle. Pick up a demo or a slightly used one, the values drop quickly. You can probably find a base model for about that much new.

-juice
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 848
    but it is a car, aka crossover, aka car based SUV.

Krzys
    Would like Freestyle, only gas mileage is average. After the summer's increase in gas, I think will not be even reasonably economical. I would try to find combined MPG at least 25. I think Malibu Maxx is best alternative, though I wish I had a more choices. Why do manufacturers make compact wagons and hatchbacks? :confuse:
    I think the FWD model gets 20/27, that's close.

What about a RAV4, or some other car-based sport/cute?

-juice
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,992
    My combined mpg is about 23 with my Freestyle FWD. And I don't see how you can compare the 7 pass Freestyle with the 5 pass Malibu Maxx?
  • 2007 Honda CR-V
    Iam in the market for a 2007 CR-V EX-L With Navi. Based on my research during the last few days, Understood
    that CR-V is going MSRP (The Max i could come up with is MSRP - $500) and Still Wait for a few weeks to
    actually get the car delivered.
    Here are my questions..
    (1). Do any of the NEW CR-V Owners feel that the low end torque is little less?? (I felt it when i was test
    driving yesterday -- Propably because its a 4 Cyl Fuel Efficient SUV and we never owned a SUV before).
    (2). I also felt that the engine noise was little more particularly when the CR-V starts accelarating?
    Are (1) and (2) -- something that is expected from a Fuel Eff 4 Cyl SUV??

VW Passat Wagon 2.0T --
    After my initial impression with CR-V (Particularly MSRP on the CR-V).. Iam starting to think towards
    07 VW Passat Wagon 2.0T with Package # 2 and NAVI
    My driving impressions were good on this, However i might loose some space for the rear seats compared to CR-V
    Liked the EPA Mileage and Truck Space.
    With all the gadgets this is just $2k over the CR-V (I was offered below invoice).
    However iam concerned about the reliability of VW and Any feedback on the VW NAVI(Could not see one yesterday
    on the dealers lot, Does it do Voice Recognition?)

Comments are welcome and Thanks in Advance..
    See my responses in the CR-V thread, but a few things I brought up:

* VW needs premium fuel
    * VW has less clearance, no AWD on that model
    * should handle a lot better, though
    * listen for noise levels, I bet the wagon is quieter

Finally, in my experience with Audi NAV, they are not easy to use at all. Perhaps they've gotten better, but I bet the Honda takes you less than half the time to learn.

-juice
    What about the RAV 4. If you are concerned about the power the RAV has a very strong v-6 that gets pretty good mpg 21/28 for the AWD and V-6 vs 22/28 for the CRV 4-cyl with AWD.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 88,758
    I'd pick the VW, hands down...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

If it were me I would also pick the VW - not crazy about SUV's in general and I require a manual transmission. I just felt the RAV was a natural match for the CRV.

As far as VW reliability goes, all cars are better now than they were 20 years ago. An average car now would have been very reliable back then. My Father has a 2000 Passat wagon with the 1.8t and a stick shift. He has 175,000 miles and has had no issues besides routine maintenance. He still has the original clutch.

Another fun car with VW like handling is the Mazda 3 hatch. Smaller than the others, but I can sit behind myself comfortably (6'-0). It is very affordable and has stability control readily available.
This discussion has been closed.