Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

2014 Subaru Forester

1567810

Comments

  • Yesterday I went for a test drive of the '14 forester premium CVT (as they ran out of manual :/) .

    At 6'1" , I didn't have any trouble getting in/out and the seating was fine . With a few adjustments , I was comfortable . The visibility is great in that car . I was impressed because none of the other cars I've owned had that much visibility (corolla, Accord,Mazda...).

    The CVT for me , just doesn't work , I understand its intended purpose but I do thoroughly enjoy controlling the amount of torque and power I get with the manual.
    The info center was not close but it didn't bother me much cause I could still see it clearly.
    I don't know why they had to put the digital fuel indicator when the needle is just fine but that's a personal thing .
    I love the turning radius and that it was sure-footed and going when you accelerate . The car had enough power for me not too little not too much just right but looking,forward to drive the 6 speed .

    I did a little sway test and we were not tossed around and I liked that very much . I was also pleased with the amount of room inside . My wife sat behind me and was surprised by that as well as the comfort . Being a drummer , the trunk has some good space and will be able to move my equipment with ease.

    they gave me a price of 23000 for the base 2.5i including destination and transport since they will go get from another dealer + 3.25% and 299 ( excluding TT&L).

    The dealership has about 5 or 6 '14 XTs on the lot . Really nice but I didn't wanna torture myself. I wasn't able to test drive the XV as they only had automatic models. My wife felt like it was just like the Impreza hatch we test drove before but only tough looking and higher of the ground. But she thought it looked nicer inside as a premium vehicle.
    Well that's all I got .
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 12,601

    @groovingd

    I'm specifically NOT going to test drive an XT because I'm sure my budget will go out the window if I do:)

    2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

  • I just posted under "Off-Road Experience". I test drove a 2014 XT the other day and really liked it. I live up at 7800 feet and need to be able to safely travel steep roads with lots of snow and some off-road scenarios, albeit not so rigorous as I've driven in the 2005 Jeep Rubicon I'm going to sell. I have been "warned" against getting the turbo by a friend who is a Subaru mechanic. After reading all the posts on these forums, I'm hoping he's mostly been working on pre-2011 models and hasn't kept up with changes made. BTW was given a quote of $31601 ($1000 below inv) for 2014 2.0XT Touring with popular package #2, sport grille gunmetal trim, all weather floor mats and cross bar set (options come with vehicle they already have on order). Any comments, esp regarding the turbo reliability? Thanks!

  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 694

    Consumer Reports says poorer engine reliability on XT turbo engines for some years to 2009. My 2010 XT had no problems and my 2014 XT is fine to date. Your dealer at least didn't load up the XT Touring like some I turned down before buying an XT Premium. Their in-stock Touring models were $37,000 plus!

  • Thanks for the reply. I did read Consumer's, which is partly why I suspected that the problems may have been on earlier models. Of course, I also wondered if the altitude here (6000-8000 feet) might affect the engine. How many miles do you have on your 2014 and what kind of mpg do you get?

  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788

    @highalt said:
    I just posted under "Off-Road Experience". I test drove a 2014 XT the other day and really liked it. I live up at 7800 feet and need to be able to safely travel steep roads with lots of snow and some off-road scenarios, albeit not so rigorous as I've driven in the 2005 Jeep Rubicon I'm going to sell. I have been "warned" against getting the turbo by a friend who is a Subaru mechanic. After reading all the posts on these forums, I'm hoping he's mostly been working on pre-2011 models and hasn't kept up with changes made. BTW was given a quote of $31601 ($1000 below inv) for 2014 2.0XT Touring with popular package #2, sport grille gunmetal trim, all weather floor mats and cross bar set (options come with vehicle they already have on order). Any comments, esp regarding the turbo reliability? Thanks!

    As I mentioned in the other thread, I wouldn't worry about the turbo. Everything I've read about the new 2.0 DIT has been positive; same with the high-torque CVT. Living in the mountains that's the engine to get.

    Bob

  • Great. Thanks for both posts.

  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788

    @highalt said:
    Great. Thanks for both posts.

    The only problems I've heard of with turbos are with kids abusing them, and modding them. Take care of it, and it will treat you fine.

    Bob

  • null
    @nycarguy ,
    that's exactly why I didn't test drove the XT .. It looked really good but yeah the budget was going to disappear ... Lol..
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 94,683

    @highalt said:
    Thanks for the reply. I did read Consumer's, which is partly why I suspected that the problems may have been on earlier models. Of course, I also wondered if the altitude here (6000-8000 feet) might affect the engine. How many miles do you have on your 2014 and what kind of mpg do you get?

    Altitude is one of the best reasons for getting the turbo... Less loss of power at high altitude with a turbo..

    MODERATOR

    Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

  • Both my '09 and now '14 XT turbos have been reliable (also, very little engine oil used). However, MPG's plummet if you're heavy with right foot or do short trips requiring engine warm-up. '14 feels more solid than '09 (especially front doors), but dash rattles appear on roads with closely spaced ridges (plowed snow, etc). On day of bad snowstorm '14 with its Nokian WRG2 tires climbed 30 degree snowy hill with no trouble. '14's info screen's handy, but voice recognition's atrocious and Navigation (while better than '09) lags Garmin's.

  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788

    @kurtamaxxxguy said:
    Both my '09 and now '14 XT turbos have been reliable (also, very little engine oil used). However, MPG's plummet if you're heavy with right foot or do short trips requiring engine warm-up. '14 feels more solid than '09 (especially front doors), but dash rattles appear on roads with closely spaced ridges (plowed snow, etc). On day of bad snowstorm '14 with its Nokian WRG2 tires climbed 30 degree snowy hill with no trouble. '14's info screen's handy, but voice recognition's atrocious and Navigation (while better than '09) lags Garmin's.

    The all-new Legacy gets new navigation/infotainment. I'm really hoping it's a massive step forward from what they've offered to date.

    FWIW, Subaru knows this is a real sore spot with buyers. It's also been a sore spot for SOA too. They've been trying to upgrade these existing units, but I guess there's only so much that can be done. Unfortunately they've been locked into using these lousy units from outside suppliers. Hopefully those agreements are coming to an end soon.

    Bob

  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 11,996

    I'm not a fan of the whole "infotainment" and nanny system movement, but clearly this is the trend of the future. So, if you're going to offer them, you might as well offer the best.

    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • @rsholland said:
    FWIW, Subaru knows [navigation/infotainment's] a real sore spot with buyers. It's also been a sore spot for SOA too.<

    Late last year, Subaru did offer a free update to the Forester's system which improved the icons and switch operation. Hopefully Legacy's new system will be better, and eventually migrate to the Forester.

  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788
    edited February 2014

    Agreed. The new-gen infotainment needs to trickle down to all Subies ASAP.

    Bob

  • subewannabesubewannabe Posts: 403

    Ive been lurking for most of the last 10 years because my 2004 XT just refused to give us any trouble ,so I had nothing to complain about. 155K miles later, Bob is still holding down the fort in these forums and its time to pass the 2004 XT along to the college freshman and the wife is torn between a XT or a 2.5i Touring..she really likes that Jasmine Green Metallic. I've calculated the upfront difference would be about $2750 and the annual gas cost difference about $250, about $45/month combined.

    While I'm inclined to let the better half make the final decision ( she absconded the 2004 XT within months, saying that she needed the "better visibility". Did I mention I drove a Toyota Sierra for the next 8 years?) but everything Ive read suggests that the high torque CVT in the XT may be a more reliable transmission than the standard issue CVT in the 2.5i. The greater legroom in the 2014 model and the graduation of the middle daughter meant thast I could sell the Sienna with confidence and the new Forester will be the family vacation vehicle in addition to the wife's daily driver.

    Thoughts?

  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 694

    As an owner of the 2014 XT I would suggest you test drive the XT enough to be sure the rather stiff ride over frost heaved roads does not bother you. It does NOT ride as well as my previous 2010 XT. It stops much better; handling is superb and interior noise under acceleration is greatly reduced.

  • Hello all, me and my wife are in the process of buying a Subaru but are also expecting
    another child , so my question to everyone is would the Subaru Forester be a good car
    with two child seats, toys and 3 suit cases and long trips on the road visiting Grandma
    and Grandpa? we r just looking at space would it be a good fit?

  • subewannabesubewannabe Posts: 403

    The extended rear seat leg room makes plenty of room for 2 child seats in the back seat and room for 3 suitcases , toys and even a folding playpen in the rear. The boxy shape of the rear area makes the Forester more useful for carrying bulky kid items than wagons with sloping rear windows.

  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 11,996

    Agreed. Forester is a perfect fit for the application you mentioned, familyguy.

    My family completed a five-week trip last September in our Forester with our two children. While we downsized to just the bun-boosters from large, full-backed units in order to save on some space, we covered nearly 13,000 miles in that five weeks, including camping for the whole trip, and the car held everything very well. Our only space add-on was our trusty hitch-mounted cargo tray, which held our cooler, water, and other various weather-resistant supplies. All of the clothing, camping gear, and more fit into the cargo area of the car.

    I'm not sure these trips will be quite so smooth when the kids are old enough to fully occupy their footwells, but said wells are generously large, even for adults (or teens)!

    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • fandangofandango Posts: 18

    I've got nearly 15k miles on my 2014 Forester (Premium CRV) with some off-road experience in Death Valley. I was very pleased with the performance of the CRV on steep crawling situations. I wish there was a way to turn off the traction control system, there were a couple of times when it seemed more intrusive on the driving experience than necessary, but otherwise the Forester performed well. No significant oil burning so far. My only complaints are minor (as posted here in an earlier review) and have to do with the relatively low angle of approach and seating comfort.

  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788

    @fandango said:
    I've got nearly 15k miles on my 2014 Forester (Premium CRV) with some off-road experience in Death Valley. I was very pleased with the performance of the CRV on steep crawling situations. I wish there was a way to turn off the traction control system, there were a couple of times when it seemed more intrusive on the driving experience than necessary, but otherwise the Forester performed well. No significant oil burning so far. My only complaints are minor (as posted here in an earlier review) and have to do with the relatively low angle of approach and seating comfort.

    First off you mean CVT, not CRV (a Honda). :) Second, you can turn off the traction control via a button on the lower edge of your dashboard. Check your owner's manual.

    Bob

  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,560

    For those out there with 2014/2015 Touring editions (2.5i or XT), how do you like the HID headlights and remote entry? Any obvious design flaws?

    My 2012 Impreza Sport Limited may be totaled (deer hit), so I'm starting to research a replacement vehicle. Would probably at least get the 2.5i Limited, but may splurge for the 2.5i Touring for the HID headlights and remote entry.

    Thanks,
    Dave

  • subewannabesubewannabe Posts: 403

    The remote entry and HID lights work well (2015 XT Touring). Also like the LED exterior mirors..helps you find your car door in the dark .

  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,560

    @subewannabe said:
    The remote entry and HID lights work well (2015 XT Touring). Also like the LED exterior mirors..helps you find your car door in the dark .

    Thanks. Picking up my 2015 Forester 2.5i Touring today.

  • subewannabesubewannabe Posts: 403

    We've had the 2015 XT touring for 8 weeks now. The Eyesight system is way better than I could have imagined. The NAV/MMI is way worse . I'm going back to picking up maps at Welcome Centers and having sing-alongs, playing license plate bingo with the passengers. Every other feature of the car exceeds expectations.

  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788

    @subewannabe said:
    We've had the 2015 XT touring for 8 weeks now. The Eyesight system is way better than I could have imagined. The NAV/MMI is way worse . I'm going back to picking up maps at Welcome Centers and having sing-alongs, playing license plate bingo with the passengers. Every other feature of the car exceeds expectations.

    Subaru's nav/infotainment has long been a joke. That's about to change. The all-new Legacy and Outback have a completely re-engineered infotainment system, and early reports are that it's much improved. Hopefully it will trickle down to all other Subarus soon.

  • @rsholland said:
    Subaru's nav/infotainment has long been a joke. That's about to change. The all-new Legacy and Outback have a completely re-engineered infotainment system, and early reports are that it's much improved. Hopefully it will trickle down to all other Subarus soon.

    the forester nav system is NOT a joke, you don't know what you are talking about
    I have had it for a year.
    not the best but far from a joke
    the outback nav system is for the higher end Subaru's
    it will not end up in the lower models

    you simply don't know anything about Subaru products.

  • does anyone have the MF and residual for the 2014 2.5 Premium with 15k a year for 36 months? thanks

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 85,547

    @njsporstsfan said:
    does anyone have the MF and residual for the 2014 2.5 Premium with 15k a year for 36 months? thanks

    .00075 MF and 58% for 36/15

    MODERATOR

    2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

    Share your vehicle reviews

Sign In or Register to comment.