Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Honda CR-V Steering Problem

somusomu Member Posts: 5
edited December 2013 in Honda
My wife's brand new 2013 Honda CRV with just over 2000 miles had its power assist steering fail yesterday, The steering was stiff and impossible to steer and the yellow steering light on the dash came on. Luckily it happened in a parking lot where she was driving below 5mph, We had the car towed to the dealership right away, we think its a serious safety issue any one here experienced any thing similar?

Comments

• Options
    andreap1andreap1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a brand new 2013 CRV, less than 5000
    Miles on it, this just happened to me today. Was in heavy traffic, probably had not driven above 5mph for the past 20
    Minutes at least. Yellow steering wheel light came on, almost impossible to steer...managed to get it to the shoulder. It's at the dealership/service center now, they will be looking at it first thing in the morning. Any idea yet what this might be? I think they are thinking something electrical, not a belt or anything like that.
  • Options
    In my case It was the Electronic power steering motor (EPS) failure. The dealer replaced the motor under warranty. They had to order the part for which the vehicle was at the dealership for 2 days we were provided with rental but the whole process was a pain, Hope its doesn't happen again but I am not so sure.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information. Hopefully I will find out tomorrow what they plan to do with mine. This is good information to have since the dealership stated they had never had a car this new come in with power steering failure. Hope yours doesn't happen again! (And here's hoping they fix mine and it also doesn't happen again)
  • Options
    They fixed mine today. They also said it was the EPS motor, but with a loose connection causing "intermittent failure". They say its fixed, about to pick it up, hoping it doesn't happen again.
  • Options
    torgertorger Member Posts: 1
    At 2100 miles power steering assist failed and dash light came on. Fortunately, I was in a parking stall when it failed. Got vehicle to the dealer where service dept said they had never seen this problem before. They consulted with Honda engineers on the mainland who said if the motor harness is OK then replace the EPS motor, which they did. Part arrived in 5 days and was installed. Road test was OK and comment on receipt states "verified normal power steering operation AT THIS TIME. (emphasis mine) Next afternoon steering light came on again and no power assist. Phoned dealer service rep who said to start car and rev the engine. Did so and light did NOT come on. Made an appt for Monday. Started the car many times over the weekend with NO recurrences. Howerever, this problem represents, in my opinion, a serious health and safety issue for which Honda must find a permanent fix. Wondering if previous posters' similar problems were permanently fixed.
  • Options
    After the EPS problem at 2000 miles, we just couldn't keep the car with a peace of mind so, we choose to sell it.