Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Acura CL

Comments

• fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    letsrock-

You missed the "" around BORING! I don't find anything boring about my CL-S. People in the 300M topic like to say that my car is boring compared to the Chrysler 300M. While I loved the LOOKS and color of my previous 300M, it was ANYTHING but "reliable". Yes, it started almost every day and never left me stranded, but there was ALWAYS something wrong with it.

While I keep saying that the CL-S is the best car I ever owned, that's not really true. ALL my other cars were great/reliable EXCEPT for the 1980 Olds Toronado DIESEL and the 99 300M!

fastdriver
  • letsrockletsrock Posts: 74
    How could I have missed that?! Gotta get a bigger monitor!
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,483
    Don't worry. Size isn't everything.
  • jinmojinmo Posts: 5
    Hey guys don't know if my car is too dated for you new CL-S owners =), but maybe you can help me out. I just bought a 98 acura cl 3.0 with 24000. I'm extremely happy with the car, but there seems to be a slight vibration when I lightly press the gas between 1500 and 2000 rpm. The vibration goes away as soon as I hit 2000 rpm. I took it to the dealer but they said everything was alright. I even went on a test drive with them, but they found nothing wrong. Am I just picky? Is this normal? Or is there something wrong?
  • bjrichbjrich Posts: 125
    We bring home the black Solara tomorrow nite and are really looking forward to it. I drives better than the Cl by a wide margin. The reason I am posting this is to tell you why we left Acura after five years and 60,000 Miles. The service on the CL was so terrific that we gave no thought to any other car, up until 2 weeks ago. The two service writers are really nice people, and when we thought of a new car we went right away to the dealer.The salesman we spoke with was so rediculous and so insulting in the way he talked price to me that I couldn't believe my ears. He must have presumed I was an idiot. I left the lot feeling so insulted, and I was amazed. We drove the New Solara, fell in love, made the deal and feel happy about the situation. It is black with a light two tone taupe interior and drives like a Lexus... much better than the CL..We CL.. We can't understand that as we loved the way the CL drove. Anyway, the ignorant saleman insulted a customer who loved the service, loved the car, and wanted a new one..... just not enough to listen to his bull.
    bjrich-

Good for you! I did the same thing when the lease was up on my Infiniti J-30. The salesman was a JERK and acted like he couldn't be bothered! I walked out and bought a supercharged Buick Riviera. They never saw me again!

I'm sorry that you're not getting another CL, but I can't really say that you made a mistake getting a Solara. This will be another trouble-free car. Lots of luck!

fastdriver
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    If you're going from one car you love to another car you love, well, nobody's going to hold that against ya :)
    but you're not concerned about the current controversy with the oil sludge problem with Toyota?
  • bjrichbjrich Posts: 125
    Wife just drove off in the new 2002 SLE V6 and she looked terrific in her terrific new Solara! When it comes to rumored or actual problems, I am rather relaxed. The car has a great warranty and I trust the Toyota people to take care of it, or else I guess I will. A car is not perfect and certainly the dealers are not perfect, so why sweat it. The Solara drives absolutely smooth as can be and we are very pleased.
  • wilcoxwilcox Posts: 584
    Is the TL Type S smoother than the Camry SE V6?
    I wouldn't think so. The Type S engine actually has a fair bit of engine noise, especially when you hit about 4000 rpm. It's a nice growl, mind you. I think you will find the Camry V6 quieter and smoother, but less exciting. It's probably not even as exciting as the Accord V6.
  • planes31planes31 Posts: 5
    I love my 2001 CL Type S but boy, do I hate that rear bumper! I had to leave my car out on the street for one week while the asbestos in my garage was removed and the rear bumper is now so marked up with chipped and scratched off paint that I'm taking it in to be done over. It seems that just about all manufacturers are color-matching the bumpers with no bumper strips to prevent this expensive annoyance. My dealer is very aware of the situation and is making lots of money doing bumper repairs!! Any comments or information on attractive bumper strips would be appreciated.
    People are only hitting you from the back?
    Where the hell do you live?
    What kind of inner-city neighborhood is that? :)
    WHAT cars these days have ANY bumper protection? Best bet to avoid this is not to parallel park and only park in parking lots. That way, all you'll get are door dings that the Dent Wizard can get out for less than the body shop wants to repaint the bumpers! Makes sense to me.

fastdriver

PS 14,200+ miles in 13 months on my CL-S, plus 16 coats of Zaino. Best car I ever owned! ;-)) Did I forget anything?
    between racking up the miles on your CL-S and applying all those layers of Zaino, you probably wouldn't have time to go to the washroom. :)
    Any more Zaino and you'll HAVE TO parallel park. You won't have enough space to open your doors in a parking lot.
    letsrock-

The only washroom I'd let to get to right now is one where I can wash my car! Our weather has been lousy here for weeks- rain every other day. The car is a mess, but still shining. Would have washed it today, but the wind is blowing like a banshee here in So. CT AND I have my first cold of the year, so the washing will have to wait. Looked today- have almost 14,400 miles, not 14,200! Yikes! Having so much fun driving it that I didn't even notice the mileage!

garypen-

Did you forget? You use very THIN coats of Zaino! Plenty of room to park in a parking lot! ;-))

fastdriver
  • vonlinzvonlinz Posts: 12
    I know that this topic has been posted before but I have been unable to locate the thread. I recall that someone else who was having this problem applied something to the moonroof seal to solve it. Of course, I forgot what that something is. Could someone please post it again? Thanks.
    The fix is a special tape that the dealer applies to the edge of the roof opening.
  • janjohnsonjanjohnson Posts: 9
    FYI - Here's the link to the NHTSA Service Bulletin# 00032 regarding moonroof squeaks. Acura is aware of the problem and should fix the squeak with no questions asked.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/central2.cfm

• zed421vzed421v Posts: 28
    My wife has a CL with 4,800 miles. We love the car, but it only gets 14 mpg in the city. It gets 18 on the highway. Is this normal?
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it doesn't get driven that much. You probably make lots of short trips. If it was a Toyota, I'd be worried about oil sludge. Maybe you just have to take it out on the highway once in a while just to "open her up".
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    My Integra's got 5080 on the odometer at the moment. I agree with letsrock - take a few rides on the open highwy with the car. Take the long route around sometimes ... for cars that don't see a lot of use, that seems to make the engine happy.
  • cyboltcybolt Posts: 2
    Anyone familiar with converting a CL or TL into a convertible? I realize both have unibody construction and therefore depend upon a solid roof for a portion of their stability and rigidity. But how much? And if the percent is minimal, can this be done? What would it cost? Who does it? Thanks for any feedback.
    I wouldn't do it. If you want one badly enough, trade it for a solara convertible. Or if you have a few extra bucks, a BMW 3-series, or MB SLK.
  • madrid17madrid17 Posts: 1
    I'm planning to purchase a 2003 CL Type-S w/Navigation within the next month. I've been to a couple dealers and the sticker prices are around $33,000. How much of a deal do you guys think I could the car for? Also, do any of you know the invoice price on this car?
    Check the Edmunds TMV. Click "NEW" at the top of this page, and go from there.
    Here in Northern Cal, CL's are an excellent bargain. We paid under invoice for ours last year. I always see them advertised at very good prices at reputable dealers (none of that "1 at this price" crap.)
  • vineee1vineee1 Posts: 16
    HI,THIS MAY BE A STUPID QUESTION BUT WHAT ARE THE PROPER STEPS OD METHOD OF BEST USING THE SPORT TRONIC SHIFTER IN A CL??
    THANKS,VINNY
This discussion has been closed.