Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    What's a snow plow?

:) David
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    LOL

- Tim
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I mounted an Air Lift brand Slam Air kit (my Silverado is lowered 2"front/4"rear) and an on-board compressor which works really good.
    You may want to contact Air Lift or Firestone directly to see what they recommend for you. I currently have the 255/70-16 tires on and have no interference problems with the air bags.
  • mrmilkytoumrmilkytou Member Posts: 27
    Hey, gotta question.

I qualify for the GM Supplier discount and I have a $1,000.00 GM Gas Tank Settlement Voucher. I am trying to purchase a 2500 HD/Silverado LT with the Duramax/Allison combo. No-One wants to give up the truck for 300 miles. They all want a factory order. Then a dealer tells me only Light Duty trucks qualify??? Is he right or just trying to BS me??

Anyone know the answer?? HELP!!!!

Thanks to all!
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    The discount certificate states the vehicles for which it applies and also lists the exceptions. Read it for yourself. If it is included, then find another dealer. No dealer has to accept the GM supplier certificate (so states the certicate)
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    I used my cert. in may on a new 2500.
    No problems either. Find another dealer !

Snowplows are good for us that WORK our
    trucks. Even the LD ones............
  • mrmilkytoumrmilkytou Member Posts: 27
    I was wondering how the discount works , is it a big savings under dealer cost or do you pay the same as a dealer???

Thanks again
    Check out www.gmsupplierdiscount.com
    your price is Gm employee discount plus 4%
    Call program headquarters 1 800 960 3375
    Don't forget to ask if you have to pay
    the advertising fee....Gm employees don't.
    ........Geo
    Hey, I didn't mean to strike a raw nerve here. It's just that most of us can't imagine plowing our way out of bed every morning! So, heck now, for all we know you might just be planting winter wheat. :)

-David
    No problem.....I'll send ya a snowball !
    .........Geo
  • everharteverhart Member Posts: 59
    Noobie1: snowplow is something that makes a whole lot of money in winter here,& paid for my last 10 trucks & SUV with no loans. All you have to do is be kind to your truck & you will make lots of money without tearing up your truck. I love SNOW 27 yrs.plowing & can't wait to try out my new 2500HD Ext.cab & BOSS plow this year.
    I will second that. One thing I will say
    don't see many (if any) on a Toyota.
    You boys are making it sound like a whole lot of fun. Could I use one to plow sand?
    Seriously, is Boss best? Can you do all the adjusting from inside the cab? Would you use one in conjunction with the power takeoff feature on the Allison? Just curious.

-David
    Most now for a pickup truck are electric/
    hydralic lift and angle units. The older
    ones had a pump mounted on the engine.
    As far as the best plow brand.......Its like
    well......debateing (spl) which truck is
    best !!!! I have had excellent luck with the
    western brand..can field fix at 4 am in a
    snow storm..LOL...
    All controls are in the cab....They have neat
    hand held controllers aka; cab command etc.
    Western and fisher are same company. Meyers
    and diamond are same company too. Of course
    there are others......
    As far as plowing sand..............Geo
    Hey found a site to disable those PIA
    drls and auto on headlights (all makes)
    www.lightsout.org
  • jnj91jnj91 Member Posts: 55
    if there is an aftermarket, Z71 (small) badge that you can get for your truck. We took the dealer decal off the tailgate and thought a Z71 decal would look good there.

Any ideas? Thanks-

julie
    .....7:30 am eastern..how long before Babs comes up with the answer?

(it's coming soon Julie)

- Tim
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    julie- try this place;

ryanb028@yahoo.com

this guy has all the stickers you'll ever want, even the ones that increase performance.
    good luck
    Check out www.decalking.com
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    sorry i couldnt answer the question faster. I am having a ton of computer problems and my dial up 75 mhz connection sucks. I have a break at school and took some time out.

Julie email me at ryanb0928@yahoo.com and tomorrow ill let you know the part number. Also tomorrow ill post a pic ( i have one on my tailgate next to the silverado emblem)

Ryan
    That's great! LOL

It's exactly what I was looking for Ryan. BTW, How much increased performance can I expect to get from it! ;D

Julie
    7.5 HP

Torque havent tested
    since i posted your address, don't forget my cut......
    Mine too!

..although I didn't provide an address.....darn!

I knew being polite wasn't going to make me any money!

dohh

haha

- Tim
    how bout a beer donation?

After i get some extra funds after the new computer which is setting me back $900 (grrr there go truck mods)

Hopefully ill order it tonight/tomorrow and have it friday oh yea its a dell

Dude im getting a dell haha

Ryan
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Just saw a new 2002 Sierra. The Sierra nameplate on the tailgate is really goofy looking. (No jokes, please!) I imagine the Silverado got a similar update. Sometimes I wonder where the designers get their styling cues from.
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Well, it's been a year now since I got my 2001 Sierra. This truck has been an absolute joy to drive ever since I got it. I just got back from a two week trip to find my truck buried under a foot of snow. Once I got inside, it started right up and just purred like a kitten. The AutoTrac, the Dynamic Brake Proportioning and the ABS make winter driving a snap. Even though this is my only vehicle, I only managed to put on 8920 miles. The Steel Horse SS nerf bars are in perfect condition. I just found some Husky mats down in America, which I installed this morning. They sure fit a lot better than the one-size-fits-all set I got at Costco. Other than the SnugTop shell, the rest of the truck is totally stock. The weatherman just promised us a bunch more snow in a few days. Bring it on! My Sierra is ready for it!
  • twevertstweverts Member Posts: 24
    My truck's still doing great as well...but in Germany now! Good to see most of the regulars still posting here!
    99Z71 LT Indigo Blue (Ryan copied me :) but that's ok)

Now if I could get a good deal on a hypertech PPG III, and some speed rated tires, the autobahn is wide open.

The locals in their BMW's, SAAB's, Volvo's, and MB's would be jealous at over 97 MPH range as well as the 0-97 MPH!
    have the links to the oil filter test site?
    also looking for one that tested oils and gave ratings of most brands available.
    thx
    copied you?

Do you have black flares?
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    round trip to Ft. Worth again and this time with the AirAid Intake installed. 2 - 2.5 mpg LESS! Got 19.5 going up and 17.5 coming back. I don't think there was that much headwind.
    who ever said more power meant less gas?

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Oil test or oil filter test?
    Something's not right. Best to switch it around...do the drive and check it again.
    my foot out of it this week just to see what the weekly avg. looks like. I didn't expect it to go up but was surprised to see that much of a drop.
    with the factory air set up...it's a very good system...

- Tim
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    Hello -

I am thinking of getting a used 98 silverado 1500 ex cab/sb with a 305cid /auto combo, with 175k on the clock. He's 2nd owner and first guy was a sales guy and obviously drove it a lot on highway. Houston is like that. Its loaded, and garage kept, lowered 4" in back with shackles and 2" front with springs. Has mags and tires, body colored grill, duals, flowmaster. Guy has used it as daily driver and to two a 3500lb trailer wiht a drag car on it around flat Houston, TX. He wants $10,500 for it and says its clean as a whistle, perfect. He got a crew cab powerstroke and needs to sell this.

I want to add a few minor things and make a sport truck out of it - sort of a poor man's sport car that I can haul mulch in - maybe add some power with a turbo or blower and headers.

Questions:
    1. This is a lot of miles -- would you guys who own one look at one with that sort of miles on it? When would the motor be worn out if oil was changed regularly? In my youth, cars rarely got over 130k before they were shot. These new vehicles seem to go and go.
    2. would I regret the 305, or is it close to the 350 but have better fuel milage?
    3. I do my own work so I don't mind some occassional problems but would like a basically reliable truck. At 175k, am I going to have to start replacing valve guides, timing chains, transmissions, radiators, etc.??? Is the 98 a good year, or is there another year - maybe pre ODB-II that I should look for given my application?
    4. Blue book trade is 9945 if its in as good of shape as he says it is. comments on price?

Its a bit of a drive but I am thinking of going to look at it.

Advice is appreciated.
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Personally I would not pay that kind of money for a truck with that many miles. But that is probably due to the market where I am at(Southern Cal). Otherwise it is a good truck. The 305 is a good motor that is easy on the gas and has good power.
    Make sure that they have done the intake manifold gasket. It should have been done by now. These motors are notorious for leaking coolant at the front or rear of the intake manifold.
    Try to get some service history (yeah right) and judge for yourself.

Good luck.
    With that many miles i think you should offer $8500
    is no 350....that's for sure...

and you don't want a blower on an engine with 175K

I'd look for something else.......unless you really like that truck...

that's 175 miles a day.....providing it was bought new in Summer of 97....

..and yeah...you are going to be replacing parts...lot's of 'em.....or ya might get lucky?

- Tim
    there is my "don't buy nothing smaller than a 350" rule.....especially in a full size pick-'em up...

- Tim
    i was looking for both, and the ones you posted in the rado topic are perfect.....thx
  • jedwards6jedwards6 Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know if there is a bed mat that will fit the bed of the new composite box silverado? I
    just bought the 2002 silverado w/compostite box but I don't like the slickness of it. It needs a rubber bed mat so that items don't slide around so much. Any ideas?
    Glad I could help.

Dirkdaddy-

Personally I wouldn't, unless you're ready to drop a 454 or 502 in it and start replacing front end components. 175k is a LOT of miles on a 10 year old vehicle, much less a 3 year old one.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I wouldn't be put off by the mileage, as long as the truck has had regular maintainence. Have it checked out by a mechanic - if the suspension is tight and everything looks good, then go for it. High mileage is a lot easier on parts than low mileage, intermittent use. A 10 year old truck with 30-40K might look better and have suffered more.

On a high mileage vehicle, most of the miles are put on after the engine is warmed up. That's good. On a low mileage vehicle, most miles can be put on a cold engine (that lets moisture and acid accumulate in the oil) and it can sit long enough between uses to allow the lubricant to flow off parts (which lets corrosion begin inside), both of which are bad news.

Mike L
    I don't think anybody knows anything about the new ProTec bed. The couple of times I've seen someone mention it there have been no replies. I think it's TOO new.

I've called some places that sell the bed mats and they don't have any idea what the ProTec box is. For that matter, some Chevy salesmen didn't know anything about it.

You will probably have to go some place that sells them and try one, or cut it down to fit. ?

Ryan would know though, if anyone would.

Julie ;D
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    Thanks for advice on the used truck. I don't pile on the miles, so I've never had a vehicle go 175K before. I average about 9-12k a year. Closest I got was my 13yr old Shadow Turbo I got 145k out of (3 head gaskets, but otherwise a solid car with surprising power).

Obviously, the milage is a big warning sign, and the fact he tows a race car - a sizeable load. The mod's he's done are hardly anything (lower, paint front grill) and I would have dropped the front with a spindle, not the spring method that limits travel, so I'd have to probably re-do that anyway.

He says its really really clean, but to tell you the truth, after some deep thinking I'm not sure that's a good truck for me. I am not really that anal about super cleaning my vehicles now that we have a new child, so that isn't really a big deal to me. I drive my current truck only twice a week (wife and I commute in our Maxima together to work). I really don't need a "late model" truck. A cheaper one I can fix up or someone else has fixed up seems a better fit. With a '98 I'm paying for a newer model when for me its not really a big deal what year it is - just need to have room.

I'm also considering one of those Dakotas with back seat and 4.7l v8 if I can find one. have not reasearched much, but after looking at the troubleshooting forum for the Chevy it would seem like it would hard to be worse. I have a 95 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9l reg cab lg bed now, so I know Dodge quality is not any better, but the truck is a neat size. wonder if it holds child seats?

sorry for rambling, DD

Maybe a pre ODB-II truck would also be easier to hot-rod.
    should have the same dimesions of a regular box shouldnt it?
This discussion has been closed.