Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    I was under the impression he wanted a used one though?...being he said at least a 3 door...

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    Didn't know who you were talking/writing to. Daryl maybe? LMAO!!
    I just sent him an e-mail?

haha

...BTW...them Opus X still have not been touched yet.....Mike doesn't smoke them and I figured it wasn't officially done yet? But I is getting anxious and I think since the Corian part is done...it's time!

Thanks

- Tim
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    FIRE IT UP
  • seeligseelig Posts: 590
    yeah right.....i was lucky enough to look at em though........
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Tim was being a stingy ^&#%^& wasnt he? Had em locked up in a glass case.

Said you can look but you cant touch
    Mike couldn't do nothing at all and had to fork out big bucks everywhere we went...uh huh

LOL

- Tim
  • seeligseelig Posts: 590
    the rest of the time though, it was like i had my own key to a liquor store.....
    thanks tim ol buddy.........can't wait for the next one...
  • I paid for the AJ1 Glass Deep Tint option. When I picked up my truck I noticed only the side-rear windows were deep tinted while the rear was only lightly tinted like the front Windshield and Front Driver Passenger windows. GMC claims that this is the way it is but can't explain why. Anybody else go through this?
    Dale
  • Same as mine. I was told this is due to the rear widow defogger. If you don't have the defogger, the tint is dark like the rear doors.
    -Eric
  • Is there any way that a determination can be made about the severity of the piston slap in a NEW vehicle during a test drive? I am interested in a a 2001 Sierra C3, but I am concerned about the ticking/knocking problem.

It seems that some trucks are worse than others, and I was hoping to avoid getting a "lemon" right from the start...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    lack of tint on the rear windows of all the crew cabs. Thought it odd, but figured that must be the way they make 'em.
  • gator36gator36 Posts: 294
    Not on mine...
    I have the rear window defogger and have the dark
    tint on my 2001 1500 ext cab.
    Crew cabs I believe?

- Tim
  • gator36gator36 Posts: 294
  • I also have 2001 2500HD crew cab, rear window is dark tinted same as rear sides.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    curious. I'll have to get all my "Honey-do's" done on Saturday so I can go to the Chevy Dealer Sunday and look at windows. Maybe the key is whether or not they have the rear-window defroster?
  • The rear window defroster (as I earlier posted). GM does not dark tint the crew cabs with the defroster. I do not understand this since they do offer this on the extended cab, but that is GM for you.
    -Eric
  • Is there any way that a determination can be made about the severity of the piston slap in a NEW vehicle during a test drive? I am interested in a a 2001 Sierra C3, but I am concerned about the ticking/knocking problem. If it stops after 15 seconds is that ok?

It seems that some trucks are worse than others, and I was hoping to avoid getting a "lemon" right from the start...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    However, I would seriously think twice about purchasing that particular truck. Are you sure you wouldn't rather wait for the Sierra Denali with the four wheel steering?
  • Anyone seen the MSRP for the Denali w/ 4ws yet?
    Very curious....
    -Eric
    I was just at the GMC dealership. They were talking MSRP around $45-$50K give or take a few thousands. Somehow, I can't picture hauling dirt or manure with it......
  • 4x4man4x4man Posts: 222
    The other problem is, for most of us, the knock didn't start until after a couple of thousand miles...my 8.1L started kncoking just a little after 2,000 miles. Tried Mobil 1 synthetic, but didn't quiet it down any...at least I have good oil in it now.

I have an appt next week to have the knock addressed so I'll see what familiar line of BS the dealer will try to feed me that I have read here and on other boards.

Bob
  • Denali b/c I am really interested in the Quadrasteer. So here's the question. From the posts that I have read, it seems that GM might have a fix for the 6.0 sometime in the spring (re: piston slap, new pistons, etc.), so when will that fix be incorporated into the new trucks??? I could buy a used Explorer to get me thru next year and buy a Sierra Denali sometime during the summer...by then these engine problems might be fixed...but I sure wish that they would put dual-zone climate control and the upgraded stereo from the regular Denali in the truck...then it would be a done deal. Thoughts???
  • Are you 100% sure that your rear window is deep tinted? I can't really understand the reason behind GM doing something as they did on my truck and to others by putting a Light Tinted rear window when selecting a Deep tinted option.....Mine was delivered late April of 2001...when was your delivered.... GM claims if you select this Rear Window Defroster the deep tint on the rear window is light...I've seen many different vehicles including GM/Chevy extended cab trucks with rear window defrosters which had deep tint which wasn't aftermarket. I'm working with a GM area manager to try to reolve this now. I simply want GM to give me what I paid for, the real rear window tinted and not tinted with that film stuff, ...Dale
    the deep tint wasn't deep at all. So I had the dealer pickup the tab to add additional tint to the rear to match the quarter windows and paid for the passenger and driver's. The tinter was hesitant to add the tint cause he said so many have had the rear windows tinted to make it darker and a lot complained that they had a hard time seeing while reversing at night. Course he charged those extra that wanted the tint removed that he had just installed.

hrbngr

Can't say for sure that it will be fixed for the '02 models. I was kind of confused cause you had posted that you were looking at the '01 models. If the fix for the knock on startup is introduced in the later part of 2001, I would believe that it would be incorporated into the new '02 rolling out at that time. The only way you would be able to tell would be by the VIN. That would make it difficult as I doubt that the dealers would acknowledge whether it had the old or the newly designed piston/motor. Unless of course, all the old designs were sold.

I was at the Chevy dealer yesterday and looked over a spec sheet from GM identifying the different types of knocking, pinging, and drivetrain noises. The particular section that caught my eye was the knock on startup. GM acknowledged that it does occur and will do so until the pistons are warmed up enough to expand therefore stopping the knocking sound. The "fix" was described as a normal condition which is within tolerace and is acceptable. I asked the shop foreman, this sounds like the old piston slap on the Ford trucks, Ford it seems acknowledged the problem and corrected it in their 5.4. You think GM would do the same. I got a smile buy no answer. Kind of makes you wonder...
  • Anyone know a way to go beyond the darn Dealers and so called regional area managers to get technical questions answered? I am so frustrated hearing the same old answers from people that truely are not very well connected to the GM factory ....I wished that GM would have a technical hotline, "Technical Support", to help talk about configuration issues, Parts questions....obtain schematics when needed to troubleshoot things...Maybe I'm asking/expecting too much...(I'm an engineer in the Silicon Valley in California, I work with at least 50 corporations who provide world class support for the products that they sell.)
    Examples of questions I never could get answered from GM;
    1) I would like to know what was done to the newest line of 6.0 LIter engines that allowed more horsepower beyong the 300HP in my truck. "There were rumors that the 300HP stated was incorrect in the truck that I was aquiring" 2001 2500HD
    - The Caddy 345 HP 6.0
    - The Yukon 325 HP 6.0

2) Wile shopping for my truck I asked for the functional differance between autotrac which was not an option on my 2500 HD and Insta Trac which is on my HD.
    Maybe GM can take some lessons from them.
    Signed,
    Frustrated Engineer
  • Dale,

For a second opinion, I had my wife check the tint of the back window versus the rear doors on our crew cab. She said they were all the same.
    I'm not exactly sure when the truck was built, but I picked it up in early August.

Jeff
  • Order a 02' 2500HD LS Ext Cab SB 4X4, 6.0 back in June and I'm told (expecting) it will be built 10/1/01. The truck is going to be used for plowing/pleasure in the Chicago area.

I would like to hear about the best way to "break" the engine in. 1st oil change? Driving Speeds? Distance of travel? Accelerating "hard" or "soft"? etc.....

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.