Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Bought an Avalanche. Or maybe "Halfalanche"....I got the one with no cladding. But I'll still keep an eye on you folks.
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    I got a '03 Silverado Z71 EXT SB 5300 engine .. with only 1200 miles .. my "Service 4WDr" on the dash cam on .. but when I toggled through the
    screens it never appeared back since ..

Could you elaborate what exactly the dealer did
    and did your SERVICE 4WD keep coming on ?

Thanks in advance!
  • mandrake14mandrake14 Member Posts: 5
    The truck is an '03 Sierra 1500 Extended cab, Z71 short bed V5300. Bought it new and picked it up on Jan 4th. Has 1,190 miles on it. Yesterday I had just started it up and was pulling out of work when the digital dash display switched from Odometer reading to displaying "Service 4WD". I pass the dealer on the way home every night so I stopped in but at 5:30 all the service guys were gone.
    Yes, when I shut the engine off, it reset the display but the next morning (Friday) when I went back to the dealer, they got a code out of the computer. Looks like P0327. The work order says : "Reprogramed ATC with update" and "Order Transfer case encoder motor for 4WD".
    Originally I (and the sales people) thought it was the infamous “dash switch” problem but the service people say no. Also, for now, the 4wd should work ok if I need it. If the display comes on again, the 4wd is disabled. I'd have to stop, turn the engine off and restart to reset the computer. Part should be in early next week.
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Saw a new Avalanurban on the dealers lot. They had an Avalance with a fiberglass shell on the rear that made the combo look like a Suburban on steroids and lots of cladding. Sheees.
    with the Snugtop shell. To me It looks like it's slipping off the back!
    If this is a real problem .. why not recall the vehicles ?

Also - What are the consequences for me or other folks whom have not seen the SERVICE 4WD come back on but got it initally and don't mention it
    to the dealer ?

What are they replacing (you said a part is due in) ?

Thanks in advance!!!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    heres a few

Tahoe SS (trailblazer ss in background)

Colorado

Silverado Baja truck

My future car :D (GUYS MY GF ACTUALLY LIKES IT)
  • tsprousetsprouse Member Posts: 10
    This has happened twice upon cold start up. I have
    noticed a small puddle of antifreeze on my garage
    floor. I have a 2000 Ext-cab Sierra 4.8, 33,000 miles. Any one else had this happen? I have not
    traced the source of the leak. Has only happened twice so far. Any guesses as to the cause?
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Take a look at the connection points of your heater hoses - if you see a build up of red sludge you have found the leak.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    this is probably beating a dead horse even worse, but what the hey if its dead its no good anyways. What kind of milage are people getting between the 5.3 6.0 and 8.1. yes i realize i could read back thru two thousands posts and find it, but lets face it...i have life. Thanks people
    5.3 Z71 3.73

10-12 city
    12-15 highway
    5.3 2wd ext cab with 3.42 gears
    16.5 cruise to work, stop and go home
    20 highway cruising
    (And I have a heavy foot)
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    01 2500 LD x-cab 6.0, 4:10s....Unloaded -
    tonneau cover and AC on highway 18mpg
    City Unloaded AC on 10-14 mpg.
    Snowplowing, towing, hauling-7-10 mpg
    Heavy foot too !..............geo

hey TXYANK...Did you get a Avalanche ?
    1500 or 2500...Cladded or un-cladded ?
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    I have an '03 1500HD Crew Cab 6.0

I get 12 in the city and I get 12 on the expressway. It goes up to 14 if I don't exceed 65 mph. The limit on the interstate in Michigan is 70 and at 75 - 80, I exceed the efficiency point.

I also have 3.73 gears and 285 tires
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    2001 2500HD 8.1 3.73Gears 4WD Long bed. Typical wgt with the sand in the back about 6800 pounds. 10mpg around local driving. High 13s on the road with speeds up to about 90. Came back from Calif. at a weight just under 8000 pounds and still in high 13's. Occassionally it will get into the 14's, but not often.
    cowboyjohn
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Not sure what im gonna get, id perfer diesel but i dont want to start that whole argument again. Drive 30+ miles one way to work and love my toys so a truck is the only way to go, thinking i could deal with 8.1 mileage if its about 13. thanks everyone.
    Got a Base model 1500 with High back bucket seats. Only other option is the WBH option (uncladded). Didn't even get the side molding and fender flares. With the GM Card earnings bump(to $2003), the $4k rebate, and GM Suppliers Discount Pricing I couldn't pass it up.
    Awesome ! Did ya get 4x4 too ? Must look awesome
    uncladded ! Color?........Man its been snowing here in northern NY to beat the band ! My 01 is
    holding up fine beating the tar out of it snow-
    plowing. NO warranty issues or breakage on the
    truck or plow so far. But since its a GM i don't
    expect any ! Have ya been hanging on the AV
    thread? I bet you miss NY huh?..........geo

BTW: Good thing ya used up your GM card earnings.
    I read that GM card is reducing the points from 5%
    to 1% soon. Check your billing statements for a
    flyer announcing when................
    time on the Avalanche thread. Mostly at the "other Av site". Got 2wd, don't need 4wd for anything. Wanted the Dark Gray Metallic, but in that there weren't many WBH around I got Pewter. The lighter colors really look pretty plain without even the molding, but I'll dess it up with some striping eventually.
    I would like to be up there right now! Haven't been on a Snowmobile in over 20 yrs. I talk to my Dad (in Marathon) every couple weeks. I also keep Long Lake on my Weather page. That's the area we used to Vacation in every Summer.
    I need to get rid of my GM card. Be less inclined to buy new trucks.:)
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Can't figure out what one would do with the truck cept hide in it cause its so butt ugly.
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Ryan, a real GTO has a V8 and trips! hehe

Geo, need to post some pics of your snow plowing to make Oby jealous... yeah right!

Cowboyjohn, good to see you lurking in there.

Now Oby, tell us how you really feel about the Tindra oops... hehe

matthew
    UGLY. What were they thinking with the tail lights on that thing.

The only cool thing with the tundra at the autoshow was the scenes they were showing for the new T3 (terminator 3) movie. Looks great.
  • gave020gave020 Member Posts: 1
    I was thinking about getting a new GMC 1500 SLT with a pewter interior and the two-tone green exterior or a chevy LT of the same color. I was buying the truck because I want a truck plus to pull a 5000lb camper. My question is to both GM owners is the GMC a better built truck or are the ammendities and hardware the same for each? I've driven a '93 3500 GMC and '96 3500 chevy and the GMC was more load stable and the interior (seat) last much longer. So can you see a difference in quality or is it all professional grade propaganda? I'm willing to pay extra for the GMC just so I don't have that ugly chev-alanche front end.
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    If my GM card earnings drop from 5% to 1%, then I've lost the only reason for using that card almost exclusively. It will also make it much easier for me to consider other manufacturer's trucks. I hope current card holders are at least grand fathered. Otherwise I'll get an Alaska Airlines card and start collecting airline miles.
    When ya price out GMC vs. Chevy. Its works out the same. Remember Chevy base price does not include auto. trans. and a few other goodies too.
    Thats why GMC has a higher base price its auto.
    is included in base.
    Heck, they are even built in the SAME plant too !
    That Chevy AV look will grow on ya !.........

Eric: Yes they are messing with the points and such...
    Even on the OLD black card !
  • ghislainghislain Member Posts: 34
    Here in Canada, the GM Card earnings program changed about a year ago and went from 5% to 3% percent but the $500 maximum yearly point earnings was removed. If you can spend $116,666 you will earn your $3500 in one year.
      I agree that 1% sucks.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Any success in finding the cause of the low temp. passenger side rattle? My '03 also does this, seems worse at highway speeds.

Also have experienced once the "Service 4wd" prompt on the message center. Guess a stop at the dealer is in order. Has yours been resolved?
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Feb 24, 2003 and 35560 miles. Only Problem has been replaced center console lid (separated at seam) and a squeaking passenger window.

Longest trip was 2850 miles, from Atlanta, to Canada, across UP Michigan, down thru Appleton WI,
    Il, IN, KY, TN (stopped and toured the Corvette assy plant, picked out my '03 Ann. Ed vette (NOT)
    Truck was a good ride, never felt tired.
    Z71, 5.3, 3.73, Ext.Cab average 18.05 mpg
    Hurting chevy sales???

Chevrolet Silverado
    36,088 -29.5%YTD
    January 2003: 36,088
    January 2002: 51,184
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    Has anybody with an '03 uncovered the subwoofer yet? I didn't realize I had one until the other day, now I'd like to upgrade to a better woofer. It is under the center console towards the front of the truck.
    '03 chevy silverado ext z71 shortbed 5300 engine.

Hardwood flooring

payload(ie in bed): 1000 lbs
    pull(ie trailer) 2800 lbs

or

Payload (in Bed): 900 lbs
    pull (ie trailer) 2900 lbs

Will this strain or damage my truck ?
    Thanks in advance!
    RE:2894 - its a 1500 (1/2 ton)and with 3.73axle

Thanks in advance!
    could be that, could price increases, could be decontenting, could be concern over how many of the lingering problems have been fixed. I've noticed with my Av, which has the '03 Silverado front end, that when driving in the rain an awful lot of water comes off the windshield and hood and across the side window right where you want to look at the side mirror. Must be from the new front end/hood design.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Your truck should have no problems with those loads.

My 1500 w/4.8L and 3.73 ran quite well with a 1700lb camper in the bed. No problems going through Colorado Rockies or through Canada to Alaska.

My dad's 1500 w/5.3L and 3.42 pulls a 6000lb trailer around the midwest, including the hills of eastern Iowa.

You won't be running down the interstate at 90mph, and you won't corner as well as you do when empty, but, you won't have any real problems with the load.

Mike L
    Re. -1 Thanks!

I was just concerned pulling 1000 lbs in the bed
    *and* towing nearly 3000 lb trailer AT SAME TIME
    with 1/2 ton truck on a trip over 300 miles ...

Everyone else feel comfortable ?
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    With 1000 in the bed. Just be carefull on your tongue weight. Otherwise the truck will pull this easily.
    You say: Just be carefull on your tongue weight.

Can you elaborate on this ? Hopefully your explaination will assist others as well ?

Thanks!!
  • sierravistasierravista Member Posts: 6
    Currently have a 97 ext cab 4x4, 5.7 with 3.42 rear.Been difficult pulling stock trailer at about 8000#. Looking to upgrade to either 1500 HD or 2500, possibly the HD. Question-- usually have long hauls and like the comfort of the 1500 ride -- especially when empty. Compare to the 1500 HD or the 2500 for comfort on the road.
    With a 3000# trailer, your tongue weight will be 3-400#. Added to the 1000# in the bed, you will still be under the truck's load capacity. And towing a lightweight trailer like that isn't much of an issue.

I'm guessing that you don't put all the wood in the trailer because the trailer won't carry it all? And you don't want to get a heavier trailer for a one time load?

The trailer does have brakes doesn't it?

For a short trip like that, I wouldn't worry at all. The only thing I might add would be a set of Air Lifts to keep the back of the truck up when fully loaded. Of course, I would add them in any case to my truck.

Mike L
    I'm guessing that you don't put all the wood in the trailer because the trailer won't carry it all? xxx correct.

And you don't want to get a heavier trailer for a one time load? xxx correct

The trailer does have brakes doesn't it? No brakes.
  • texsuntexsun Member Posts: 23
    sierravista - the empty ride on the 1500HD or 2500 will still be comfortable. And you will find the comfort level greatly improved over the '97. I had a '97 Silverado 60/40 split, went to buckets in the '99 and was amazed at the difference. I have an '02 1500HD CC (25,500 miles)and it rides a little stiffer than my '99 1500 did, but by lowering the rear tire pressure to 37 (chalk test)it still rides pretty smooth on long hauls and around town. I pump the rear tires up to 60 when pulling my 4800 lb trailer and still have a real smooth ride. (door says 50 front/80 rear) Left the front tires at 50 (chalk test) Hope that helps - Bud
    No trailer brakes.

That would concern me more than the weight issue. You will be well over the GVWR. And your stopping distances will go up substantially. Drive safe, drive slow, and leave plenty of following distance to allow for the extra weight.

Have a safe trip.

Mike L
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    If you load a trailer heavy, in front of the axles. The weight of the tongue (the part that accepts the ball) of the trailer will be heavier than the rear. More important, is if you load the bed close to weight capacity and then add the weight of the tongue of a loaded trailer, you can exceed the bed weight. This will unload weight from the front of the truck and make it hard to steer and stop. If memory serves, the max tongue weight (not using a weight distributing hitch) is 500 lbs.
    The best bet is to evenly distribute the weight over the trailer so that the trailer axles bear most of the weight.

Hope this helps...

Walter (gator)
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Should be about 10% of the overall weight of the trailer. Any less and the "tail wags the dog".
    I hear ya about the rough ride on the 2500.
    I went from a 97 1/2 Z-71 x-cab 4x4 to a 01 2500 4x4 x-cab.
    I got used to it tho. A couple 100 lbs. in the bed smooths it out tho !
  • gbosgbos Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2001 Sierra Z71 with about 45K on it. I parked on a sloped driveway tonight that had some snow on it. After I turned it off, removed the key, and started to get out I noticed it rolling backward. At first I thought it was sliding, but when I looked at the rear wheel it was turning. The tracks in the snow showed clear tread marks and not slide marks. Would the anti-lock sensors have anything to do with the tranny letting that happen? I'm pretty concerned, should I be?
  • hopster1hopster1 Member Posts: 14
    Just wanted to know if anyone could provide information regarding this truck. Are there any problems that I should be looking out for? Is it a good truck?

Black LT Silverado 1500 Ext Cab Short Bed
    K&N Air filter System
    Dual Exhaust (from the Catalytic Converter Back)

It looks great. I was thinking of putting some Avalanche rims on it and a set of Bridgstone Dueler AT Revos on it.

Any information would be helpful.

Hopster1
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    There are over 200 techincal service bulletins out on that model year truck. Hopefully that answers your question.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Is a dealer selling that 2000 Silverado or is it a private sale?
    If it is the dealer, I'd ask them to let you drive the truck for a week before you buy it.
    What is the asking price?
    I don't know how many technical service bulletins are out there for my model year Silverado, but my 2001 truck has been flawless. I've been to the dealer twice, once to replace the rear diff. fluid, and once for a front end alignment.
This discussion has been closed.