Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• timmychentimmychen Posts: 13
    Details of my purchase are a page or two back.

I'm pretty happy with my purchase...now I'm looking into a few mods for my car... Starting with the simple stuff like brighter headlights (not HID), manlier horn, mudguards, etc.
  • 5cs5cs Posts: 2
    Dealer is asking $27K

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport SUV
    Bodystyle4 door SUV
    Engine3.5L V-6cyl
    Transmission Automatic
    Ext. Colormagnetic grey
    Mileage19,020

POWERTRAIN
    Engine liters: 3.5
    Torque: 248 lb.-ft. @ 4,700RPM
    Limited slip differential
    Cylinder configuration: V-6
    Variable valve control
    Fuel economy highway: 23mpg
    Manual-shift auto
    Sequential multi-point fuel injection
    Variable intake manifold
    Number of valves: 24
    Recommended fuel: regular unleaded
    Transmission: 5 speed automatic
    Horsepower: 270hp @ 6,200RPM
    Fuel economy city: 17mpg
    Fuel tank capacity: 19gal.
    Drive type: all-wheel drive
    Mode select transmission
    SUSPENSION/HANDLING
    Rear tires: 245/55SR19.0
    Rear anti-roll bar
    Speed-sensing steering
    Power steering
    Front tires: 245/55SR19.0
    Alloy wheels
    Front anti-roll bar
    Sport suspension
    Four wheel independent suspension
    Wheel size: 19"
    SPECS AND DIMENSIONS
    3rd row headroom: 922mm (36.3")
    3rd row shoulder room: 1,397mm (55.0")
    Curb weight: 1,930kg (4,255lbs)
    Exterior body width: 1,910mm (75.2")
    Exterior length: 4,785mm (188.4")
    GVWR: 2,722kg (6,000lbs)
    Rear hiproom: 1,435mm (56.5")
    Compression ratio: 10.80 to 1
    Engine horsepower: 270hp @ 6,200RPM
    Rear legroom: 973mm (38.3")
    3rd row hiproom: 1,074mm (42.3")
    Engine displacement: 3.5 L
    Rear headroom: 1,019mm (40.1")
    Engine torque: 248 lb.-ft. @ 4,700RPM
    Exterior height: 1,760mm (69.3")
    Wheelbase: 2,789mm (109.8")
    Front legroom: 1,097mm (43.2")
    Rear shoulder room: 1,511mm (59.5")
    Engine bore x stroke: 94.0mm x 83.1mm (3.70" x 3.27")
    3rd row legroom: 759mm (29.9")
    Turning radius: 5.9m (19.4')
    Front shoulder room: 1,516mm (59.7")
    Front hiproom: 1,440mm (56.7")
    OFF-ROAD CAPABILITY
    Approach angle: 29 deg
    Ground clearance (min): 206mm (8.1")
    Departure angle: 24 deg

Features Guide
    ENTERTAINMENT FEATURES
    Steering wheel mounted audio controls
    CD player
    Diversity antenna
    MP3 decoder
    AM/FM radio
    SEATS AND TRIM
    3rd row seats: bench
    Power driver seat
    Front seats: bucket
    Front center armrest
    Split folding rear seat
    Leather shift knob
    Rear seats: bucket
    CONVENIENCE FEATURES
    Power windows
    Front cupholders
    Remote keyless entry
    Passenger door bin
    Rear cupholders
    Passenger vanity mirror
    Driver vanity mirror
    Overhead console
    1-touch down
    Telescoping steering wheel
    Illuminated entry
    Speed control
    1-touch up
    Driver door bin
    Air conditioning
    Tilt steering wheel
    Rear door bins
    BODY EXTERIOR
    Power door mirrors
    Spoiler
    Bumpers: body-color
    Door mirrors: body-color
    LIGHTING, VISIBILITY AND INSTRUMENTATION
    Front reading lights
    Front fog lights
    Low tire pressure warning
    Delay-off headlights
    Outside temperature display
    Fully automatic headlights
    Reverse sensing system
    Tachometer
    Rear window defroster
    Rear reading lights
    Trip computer
    Rear window wiper
    Variably intermittent wipers
    SAFETY AND SECURITY
    Brake assist
    Overhead airbag
    Electronic stability
    Dual front impact airbags
    Adjustable head restraints: driver and passenger w/tilt
    Knee airbag
    Occupant sensing airbag
    Panic alarm
    Dual front side impact airbags
    Traction control
    Ignition disable
    ABS brakes
    4 wheel disc brakes
    Anti-whiplash front head restraints
  • I am in Cincinnati. I have a quote for a 2010 SE 2WD black with black leather (with heated seats, moonroof, 6 disc CD, etc) for 33,379 OTD. The stock is very limited and the color is not really what i want, but if i put a deposit down for a different color, I would be subject to the financing charges in place at the time the car came in. right now financing is 0 percent for 36 months (I'd prefer 0 percent for 60 months). I am not so sure this is such a great deal. I'd appreciate feedback
  • manlymanly Posts: 14
    Hi Timmy,

Could you tell me wchich saleman that you got it from??? It's not a bad distance to drive from SFV to Longo to get the car.

Thanks,
    r.ly@earthlink.net
  • germilgermil Posts: 11
    I took delivery of an SE on 4/4, and so far am very happy with this vehicle, averaging 21 mpg in mixed driving. Very quiet, comfortable and roomy vehicle. Purchased Toyota Platinum Extended 7/100K $0 deductible Warranty from Midwestern Superstore in Kansas (Jerry Johnson) for $889, bought some accessories from Toyota of Puyallup for very reasonable prices (far below other dealers). Had Toyota body side mouldings installed by a local dealer for the same price as factory.
  • nacenace Posts: 45
    germil, congradulations on your SE purchase.
    if you will, please share a brake-down of your purchase price.
    also is your SE a front wheel, or all wheel drive?
    thank you, nace
    nace-the SE is 4WD. MSRP was $35,484; factory options were wheel locks, blue tooth, mud guards and carpet mats. I paid $32,475 + TTL; document fee was $169. $32,475 was $125 over invoice, not a great deal but I did get 0% for 5 years. I paid a little more to get a color and options that I wanted as the vehicle was in transit. Other dealers were selling out of stock for $200 under invoice. Hope this helps.
  • flymeawayflymeaway Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    Germil -

congrats on your new highlander. May i ask where the car was purchased? State?
    flymeaway-Central NJ.
  • i am getting a limited edition with 4WD, JBL, option package #7,8 without RES, but a custom DVD installed ( No Nav) for 35742

you think its a good price? i tried several dealers couldnt find anyone cross this offer
  • minileedxrminileedxr Posts: 9
    Germil,

Did you buy recently? How were you able to get 0% for five years? I thought that ended in early April?

Thanks
    edited May 2010
    I've been reading the last 15 pages of post, and would like everyone's opinions:

Looking to get a 2010 Highlander, V6, AWD. Only accessory is carpet/cargo mat.

MSRP is 35005. Salesguy said he'll take off 1500, making it 33,505. I said it was too expensive. He asked if I was a Costco member, which I am. He said Costco members get the vehicle at 800 over invoice. Invoice is 32,116, which meant for me it would be 32,916. I said too expensive again. He said the lowest he could do is 500 over invoice, so the final offer he gave was 32,616 (before TTL + 2.9% APR, which afterwards by the way makes the price jump pretty high).

Not sure if this makes a difference, but I'm in NorCal. It's en route, and scheduled to be here before 05/05/10. I put down a refundable $500 deposit to hold the vehicle.

Thoughts? Could I get the vehicle for invoice (32,116) or lower?

Thanks to all
  • janeyjanjaneyjan Posts: 6
    I too, have read, all of these past posts, concerning, the prices paid for the 2010 highlanders.( and now wonder if I paid way to much for our highlander)
    I waited til almost the last week of the o% 60month incentive to purchase our new vehicle. We live in the midwest and so I decieded to go with a base model, awd and v6.. It's magnectic gray with cloth interior
    The MSRP was 31,420. The options that came with this model were, FE EH,PE,QB,TO,and CT. I traded in a 1995 camry, with 94,000 miles on it, and they gave us 2500. Had to put down a $500 dollar deposit. the price we paid was 28,818. plus TTL.( they included 149 doc fee, and 250 for going to pick this vehicle up, at a dealership near minneapolis, ) So in the end it was or is and expensive vehicle, considering, a few that I have read on this site, bought theres for much less.
    I would like to know if this is standard,to charge for going to pick up a vehicle in a city, 200 miles from where we live? I still am disgusted for that charge.
    but like I said, at the time we decieded to buy one of these, the inventory was next to nothing... and this goof, that we were working with, once again, said, its a matter of supply and demand...!!!!.
    At any rate, we love this vehicle and plan on having this for a long long time,
    If it runs like our '95 did,, then it will be worth the extra money, since we absolutely had no trouble at all, with that car. Hope this helps,and I would be intrested in knowing if any of you, also had to pay , for delivery charge of your vehicle??
    I think you got a good, not great, price on your vehicle, considering all the options you got. My price quote did not include any options other than the carpet/cargo mats; and after reading your options, I want some of them now!

A buddy told me a good rule of thumb is if you can get out the door price near MSRP, it is a good deal.

When you say "delivery charge," are you referring to "destination charge?" If so, you got a deal. My dealership is charging $800 for destination charge. Your Doc Fee of 149 seems high, given that the Doc Fee for me is 55.
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Posts: 53
    "A buddy told me a good rule of thumb is if you can get out the door price near MSRP, it is a good deal."

That's a pretty poor piece of advice, if you ask me. MSRP's are bogus to begin with, and do not reflect real market conditions. Also, what are the current cashback or financing incentives, if any? Is it the end of a model year or production cycle? How about the tax rate (anywhere between 0% and 10% of purchase price)? All of these have to be factored in.
    NO, the $250 charge was for going after the vehicle nearly 233 miles away..!!!
    I was unaware that a person would have to pay for the dealership's help to go pick this up,, when they certainly made a hefty profit on the car in the first place,ughhh!!!
    I did pay the $800. dollar destination fee, ,plus that 149.00 dollar doc fee..
    so when adding up all those ridicilous fees, the final price including tax title and license fee came to 31,173.60..... and they were soo generous they threw in a oil filter wrench,, How nice of them.... ( I'm more than sure, I paid for that also)..lol....
    .Im sure there are some really really nice car salesmen out there, but this ding-a-ling,, I dealt with, was not one of them...
    None the less, I am going to enjoy my new vehicle..(smilin' here).
    if that's for a SE then it is a pretty decent price considering how low the inventory is in Norcal. I shopped around for a while for a highlander. and i remember toward the end of the 0% financing for 60 months at the end of March, none of the dealers that I spoke to would only lower about 1k off of MSRP. (all of them were telling me how there's no inventory and how there's such a huge demand for the car). at the end, i bought the highlander AFTER the 0% for 60 months promo ended and paid cash for the car (but got 1000 dollars off from Toyota ).
    the promo varies by location. the incentives in norcal is pretty bad compared to the rest of the country.
    once again, the answer is NO,, it is not a se ,, just a base with awd, v6 and the options that I had mentioned before, I don;t think it was a fair price at all, but
    I did buy it, mainly because of the 0% 60 month incentive, I figured I did save myself a few thousand by not paying intrest...
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Posts: 53
    My experience with Toyota is that all their incentives really benefit the dealer first and foremost. The consumer gets screwed because they purposely keep inventories low to maintain high market prices.
    Snowdaddyo,

I totally agree with you. When there are incentives out there Toyota holds back inventory to make the deal look bigger and better than it really is. Simple economics, supply and demand. Supply is kept low, which drives price up. 0% APR is good, but they are able to keep prices near MSRP because of low inventories.

Speaking of incentives, looks like they are keeping the 2.9% for the month of May for Highlanders.
  • highl2010highl2010 Posts: 4
    Got a Limited, 4WD, VR6, Running boards, JBL system Visteon DVD-Gameboy system, leather for $35722

tried other places, i could had saved maybe 100-200 more, however this seemed ok to me?

Thoughts? ;)
    minileedxr-I took delivery on 4/4 two days before 0% for five years ended.
  • carolina2carolina2 Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    Hi Anyone,
    I am planning to buy a 2010 highlander V6, FWD, sunroof--base model. I am reading comments in this forum. I am naive before a car salesman. How to negotiate or what price? I am in the Carolinas.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Caroline.
    My advice would be to obviously do your research online to see how much the dealerships pay for the vehicle (invoice), and try to negotiate a price near that. You can always ask to see their invoice price.

Also, look at buying programs such as Costco, which offer hassle free pricing.

Good luck.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    Also, arrive at your best price that you're willing to pay, and don't go $.01 over. Be fair - they have to make SOME money on the car, that's why they're in business, but there's no reason for them to take advantage of you. If they won't sell to you at your price, walk out and find a dealer who will....most likely, you'll get a desperate plea from your salesperson and his/her manager once you're heading to the door. They always become much more flexible then. Don't let your emotions of wanting a new vehicle outweigh common sense. Good luck!
    And, if you're like me, mail a copy of the sales contract from dealer #2 who met your price to dealer #1 and remind them of what could have been....
    "Be fair - they have to make SOME money on the car, that's why they're in business, but there's no reason for them to take advantage of you."

What would you consider to be a fair price in comparison to invoice? How much under, over, at? How do you feel about dealer holdback to make invoice seem reasonable?

Also, as stated in some previous post, it seems Toyota is intentionally holding back supply of certain models, in order to drive prices up. Less supply, increases price.
  • Is the toyota incentive for 0.0% APR still going on?
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    A good friend of mine who was once a sales manager for the largest-volume Honda dealer in the Chicago area said that most dealers will "settle" for a profit of $1000 - $1200 per vehicle. This is AFTER receiving holdback from the factory, so for you and me, somewhere from $200 - $400 OVER their invoice is what we should aim for. This is assuming a 2% holdback on a $40,000 vehicle.
    Very interesting numbers. A good friend of mine as well, that I have known for over ten years, works at a Mazda dealership. He told me that if a customer offers invoice price on a vehicle, they would gladly accept it. They make their money off of dealer holdback, and reaching their monthly quotas.

All in all, I guess each company and dealership has different goals. I'm sure regions which factor into supply of certain vehicles make a difference as well.