Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus ZX5

Comments

• I'm almost ready to buy a 2003 ZX5. I've picked the ZX5 Premium with 5 Speed, ABS, Side impact Air Bags, Upgraded stereo system, Weather package. Anyone have suggestions to the color? I'm leaning towards the twilight blue or the Liquid grey. Any other comments on this car. Looks like my price before rebates is 16550.
    Thanks
  • mrolandmroland Posts: 129
    Mine is a dsicontinued color called Malibu Blue. It is a bright blue. The French blue is nice and certainly different. I didn't like the twilight, it seemed to dark to me. Looks almost black at night and shows off lots of dirt. I would go with the Liquid Grey that looks really nice on the ZX5s.
      Your price is very good - I paid 16700 in late 2001 for mine and I didn't get a weather package.
  • I ended up settling for a Pitch Black ZX5. I could not find any other color that had all the equipment I wanted. Picking it up at the dealer tomorrow
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    on your new ZX5! We look forward to hearing all about your delivery experience.... Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • Picked it up on Saturday. Experiance was less than fun. I have never figured out dealerships. They are the most unproductive businesses I have ever done business with.

Got a Pitch Black ZX5 Premimium, with ABS, Traction Control, weather package etc.. Salesman, like all salesman I have ever dealt with knows virtually nothing about the car other than what they just read out of sales broucheure. They are not allowed to discuss certain things, like financing, warranties. That is for the finance manager or the sales manager. Thier knowledge is certainly limited also.

I showed up to take delivery at 10:30 am. Ended up driving home at 3:00pm. During that time the salesman could not find that car or the paperwork. Than the used car manger could not be found to process my trade in, The sale manger and finance manager wanted to sell me everything they could when I made it clear not to waste my time or thiers. They wasted anyways. Long story short. I got everything I wanted on my terms walked out with the exact deal I wanted, but took way to much time.

This was my 15th new car since 1982. With the exception of some computers here and there dealers are still doing business the same way that did 20 years ago. This segment of the new car business is long over due for moderizing.
  • then again, it all depends on the dealership - one bad one can taint your feelings toward all.
  • tgneiltgneil Posts: 1
    I took delivery on Friday of my silver ZX5 Comfort model with ABS. I didn't have quite the bad experience as fairlanecobra had.

I got a good quote from a dealer on a grey one with no abs using ford direct and edmunds quote requests.(not sure which they were responding to.) Then I did another search on Ford direct for the exact one I wanted and gave them my quote. This dealer responded in a couple of hours and added the ABS to my original quote and subtracted another 50. So I got in at 250 under invoice and the 2000 rebate.

Talked to the fleet manager for 5 minutes when we went to pick up the car. Then had to wait an hour to pay for it.Then had to wade thru thefinance person offering us other financing than we had lined up already. Fended her off and then read and signed papers for 10 minutes, then had to wait another 10 to checkout with our car.
    I took about 105 minutes to get everything done. At least there was no pitches for under coating, vin ecthing, ect..

Very happy with our new ZX5. Thanks Edmunds and all the townhall members for all the info found here.

Now I hope the 2003 model doesn't have 9 recalls on it :)
    and thanks for sharing all the details of your purchase experience! Sounds like you have a lot of experience buying cars. Glad everything went well for you. We look forward to hearing more about your ZX5 experience. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • focus090focus090 Posts: 85
    well, after my friend and i had spent many a weekend in my zx5 out and about on the town (and in another country - canada), he went to go get a new car and chose a zx3, the zx5's little brother. he loves it, and is shocked by its peppiness and great gas mileage. i was like, duh. keep on truckin folks!
  • This replaces my '00 ZX-3. Negotiating to near invoice price took only a few minutes. With rebate on top of that, this car represents an absolutely amazing value. The fit and finish are excellent. Build date was 03/12/03 and purchase date was 04/02/03, so this baby was really fresh off the truck. A wonderful car and a very good dealership experience thus far. Car has the Blaupunkt radio with MP3 capability. Gas mileage reports as I break it in. Plan on driving to Canada from Texas in May. Can't wait!
    To silverzx5 - Congrats on your new ZX5, and thanks for sharing the details. We look forward to your future reports.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    Posted this on the ZX3 board a few days ago:

Just found out that states with CA emissions get the 2.3L from Mazda in the Focus. 148HP and 152 lb-ft of torque, a big jump from the 130/135 stock in other states. Anybody have any performance stats to go with this motor? How's mileage?

-B
  • lcowherdlcowherd Posts: 5
    I'm considering either the Vibe/Matrix or the ZX5. EPA rates the V/M twins higher in MPG than the Focus. What has been your experience with mileage in real world conditions?

Thanx!!
    21mpg on the crappy end, that would me mainly highway....and 29mpg with about 80% highway...i was thrilled to see 29mpg, the best i have ever gotten was in my '00 focus se sedan - 31mpg once.
    the 21mpg was mainly city, and yes, the highway as 29mpg
    check out all reviews for each car before you decide, and of course, test drive em all....thats the true way of deciding which to get. i heard the only good models in the m/v are the gt ones, with the all wheel drive. but do you really need that in a 5 door hatchback? the focus is world renowned for its superb driving dynamics, styling and handling...explore all your options
    You may also want to post (copy/paste) your question in this discussion: Vibe/ Matrix v. PT Cruiser v. ZX5 v. Protege5 v. Elantra GT v. Aerio SX. Good luck with your decision.

Revka
    Host
    just took my zx5 into service, they are gonna replace the center chrome ford cap from my rear passenger wheel that popped off, they have parts on order to replace my center console lid that doesnt latch correctly anymore...the button you pull up on is all loose, so they are replacing that, and i'm gettin an oil change.
  • rysterryster Posts: 565
    How many miles do you have on your ZX5? Mine just turned over 10,000 miles and I have only needed routine maintenance...no other problems...it's a great little car!
  • Purchased a twilight blue PZEV ZX5 in Syracuse, NY last Friday and have since been looking for the least excuse to go for a drive. Got the comfort level trim, with ABS and the 16" alloys as options. Found ABS very hard to find on any Foci on lots around here and side airbags (which i would have sprung for) impossible to find. In my opinion, both should be standard equipment, at least in all trim levels above the base one. MSRP was $17110. Paid $13,200. I have since seen an ad from another dealer who is offering all in-stock Foci for $4000 off MSRP, so perhaps I could have saved another $90, but probably not much more than that. What I paid represents a 6% profit for the dealer over wholesale for this car. On NY lots you will find both the 2.0L Zetec and the 2.3L PZEV engines in Foci. PZEVs have been going into Foci delivered to NY, MA and CA since January. (Mine was manufactured only about 4 weeks ago.) I test drove both and found the PZEV to be both more powerful and more refined. It matches up nicely with the 5-speed gearbox. Can't understand why anyone would want an automatic in a car this fun to drive. I'm intentionally not pushing it during its "break-in" period, but this car wants to go, go, go, and the greater low-end torque of the PZEV is particularly noticeable in 2nd gear which seemed a bit anemic in the Zetec I drove. Fit and finish seem impeccable (after a cracked visor mirror was replaced at the dealer) and I'm impressed with the comfort of the seats and the quietness of the interior for a car of this size and price class. My only gripe about interior ergonomics is that I don't like the center console which interferes with my right (shifting) arm in both the up or down position. I think this will be less of an issue for shorter drivers who have the seat moved farther forward, but with it moved all the way back (as I have mine), one's elbow hits the column on which the console is mounted when in the up position, and when down, one is forced to angle your right arm downward in an awkward fashion. This won't be an issue in the automatics. This is the only complaint I have with the otherwise very ergonomically designed interior. I agree with others that the sound of the turn signal is a bit jarring, although this is a very minor thing. I love the telescoping steering column and the feel of the small diameter, beefy, leather-wrapped steering wheel. Interior plastics and controls seem well-made (I like the rubberized knobs on the climate and headlight controls). However, the door latches seem a bit lightweight and cheap. The seat fits me like a glove. My right toe seems to catch on something now and then as I lift it off the accelerator and move it to the brake, but I think this will pass as I become used to the car. The single-disc Blaupunkt CD/MP3 and four speakers produces exceptional sound for a base stereo and the FM sensitivity is good. On the exterior, my only gripe are the cheap plastic side mirror cowlings with no neck joint to absorb collisions with car doors/tree branches, etc. On my way back from the dealer I noticed a Focus driving by with a side mirror hanging. These seem out of place on a car that otherwise projects quality. One possible issue I've noticed is that I get some vibration/noise from the left front when accelerating while making a relatively hard right turn ( not sure if I get this on the other side from a hard left turn acceleration or not yet). Do other Focus drivers experience this, or is this an indication of a problem? I have limited experience up till now with FWD cars. I'd appreciate comments on this. I will report mileage soon, although the manual cautions against calculating mileage within the first 1000 miles (I suppose it gets a bit better after rings are totally sealed?) One more question for the Focus cognoscenti: Should a first oil change take place before the normal interval of 3000 miles?
    and congrats on your new ZX5! Thanks for your detailed notes. You may also want to post any concerns you have regarding vibration/noise in our Ford Focus ZX3/ZX5 Problems & Solutions discussion. Someone there may be able to offer some feedback. For future reference, look for a direct link to this discussion in the Helpful links (left side).

Btw, one small suggestion for the next time you post a long message: break your message up into shorter paragraphs. This will make it easier for others to read. People are more likely to your entire post, if it's easy on the eyes. Okay? ;-)

We look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience. Thanks for your participation!

Revka
    Host
    I have an '02 ZX5 with the 2.0L Zetec and automatic transmission. I spend 2 hours a day commuting to work, so the auto makes it much more enjoyable. Way too much shifting would be involved if I had a manual. Have found power with the auto 2.0L to be more than adequate and it matches the car perfectly. I am not an overly aggressive driver, so I do not find it lacking power.

I am currently averaging 27mpg after 10,000 miles. It has increased slightly as the miles pile up.

No issues with the console/armrest. I am 6'5" tall and find the interior very comfortable. I have the seat all the way back, cushion at its lowest, and wheel telescoped all the way out. Right arm falls right into place on the armrest. Rarely have the armrest in the up position unless I am trying to reach for something on the floor of the passenger side from the driver's seat.

No unusual noises when turning. If you are entering the turn too hot, it may be the sidewall scrubbing. Make sure your tires are at 34psi cold (factory recommended pressure). My experience is that the ride and handling of this car is very sensitive to tire pressure.

My right foot also caught on the right side of brake pedal initially when transferring my foot from the gas pedal to the brake. You get used to it after a month or so.

I bought mine from dealer stock last July and it has ABS, side airbags, moonroof, 6-disc CD, etc. The dealer had a couple of others on the lot with ABS and side airbags as well. Could be the region or just current availability with all of the great incentives.

Enjoy your car, they are a blast to drive and a pleasure to own.
  • I got 28.3 mpg on my first tank of gas in 2/3 hwy, 1/3 city driving. Taking a long interstate trip this weekend and will report mileage afterwards.

I understand your point, ryster, about the convenience of an automatic for city driving.

Day 5 now with my new ZX5 and I'm only liking it more as I get used to it. Waiting for the first 1000 miles of easy driving to pass before I take it out on a country road and push it a bit.

The center console that I reported earlier was annoying is less so now. I am used to letting my arm rest on it during shifting.

Added a little air to the tires to bring them up to 35 psi or so, but haven't tried to replicate the vibration while turning again.

john
    my zx5 has only 10,400 miles, and i have only had it in for regular maintenance also ryster. this thing with the messed up console button and the chrome wheel cap is just a fluke. the service manager said that they have been having some problems with the caps on the focus wheels like mine. so you guys make sure yours are nice an tight, how do you tighten them? i have no clue, but just make sure they arent loose is my advice. i did my first oil change when i got my car brand new at 3000miles. it really isnt that necessary to get it before then. nowadays the pre-run the engines, so there wont be any metal bits that will harm your engine if you wait till 3k for an oil change. and you guys with new foci, take my word for it, this car can handle quite a bit of punishment...i had a 2000 se sedan, and now a 2002 zx5, and they ran and run like champs. this one has been up to about 97mph, 45mph 'powerslide' through a near red left turn light, and many many jaunts in open frozen-snow covered areas (bottoming out about 5 times was interesting). since its a lease, i am not too concerned with the long term effects. hehheh. you guys will enjoy this car.
  • I'm curious to know how well the Focus handles in the snow. I probably won't get a chance to find out until next winter.

john
    Driving the Focus in the snow can be a handful with the OEM Firehawk GTA tires. Traction is good in up to 2" of snow, but once there is more than that it gets dicey. Also traveling over 25mph in the snow is touchy as well. The tires never really bite all that well in the snow and you are left with that feeling of "controlled slipping".

The car will get you home at the initial onset of a storm, but once the snow has started and piled up it turns into a white-knuckled drive. The best option would be to get a set of winter tires and run them during your area's normal snowy period. I don't have a set of winter tires; I just watch the weather and head home from work as soon as the snow starts accumulating. If the snow is bad when I wake up, I either stay home or go in late.

If your area has excellent snow removal crews, you will probably be okay. Interestingly enough, my '99 rear-wheel drive Camaro with Goodyear Eagle GA tires handled snow much better than my ZX5. Most of the problem is the tires. I will not put another set of these Firehawks on the car when the time comes (although based on current wear, these things may go at least 40K miles).
    i would say, that if you are worried about blowing money on extra tires, then dont. i live in michigan, and have had no problem with my tires in the snow. i love these firehawks, they were on my 2000, and these ones now one my new one...my car handled great this winter in the snow. and we do get a lot of it. we had one storm in particualr where 4" had dropped in less than 2 hours..., and by the time i had to get home, there was about 5", and while doing blazingly fast speeds in the snow is a death wish, i had to keep it at about 20-25 mph on a normal 45 mph street. then again so was everyone else. the tires are in no way unable to take on winter weather, you just need to keep your mind on whats goin on as well. i have found that although i dont have abs brakes, the car can do a pretty quick stop in snow, i have always been impressed with this. it just comes to this dead stop, with all brakes giving a nice tight gripping sound. snow realy isnt that much of a problem though, so i wouldnt be too worried about it, jpsullivan.
    just took my zx5 in to get a nail taken out of the front right tire, thats the first one in a year with my new focus. the last one i took it in like 3 times for nails i had picked up. psssst....Sam's Club should be able to take care of it for free....just a tip. thats where i took it.
    It's interesting how people can have totally different impressions of a tire's performance.

At one point this past winter, I was attempting to traverse a slight incline and my Focus struggled to make it. I was in first gear and the tires spun the whole way up the incline. People were passing me and I was barely able to move 5mph up the incline. Very embarrassing.

The Firehawks perform great in dry and rainy conditions but in the winter I find them to be horrendous. Very little snow traction. I wouldn't even attempt to drive my car in 5" of snow...
    it is funny about different experiences. but i havent had any problem, incline's in crappy weather i would avoid - in almost any car.