Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    I'm sorry you went to a dealer where they explained the program very poorly.

First, anybody who walks in off the street can choose one of the 4 following programs right now on a Montego:

1. 1000 rebate and 1000 gas card.
    2. 1000 rebate and 1000 cash in lieu of gas card
    3. 1000 gas card and 0% for 36 months.
    4. 1000 cash in lieu of gas chard and 0% for 36 months.

Now your Loyalty cash is in addition to one of the 4 above choices. So you are getting something extra.

The jerk sales manager that you spoke to was correct, you can have option 2, plus loyalty which would be $3,000 total rebate, or option 4, plus loyalty which is $2000 total rebate + 0% for 36 months.

As dealership employees, we are not responsible for what Ford prints or does not print in its mailers, we only care about want we can give a customer.

If you don't like how you were treated at a dealership, go to a different one.

Don't expect huge rebates on a Montego. If you care about rebates, buy a GMQ there is $6,000 available in rebates. Just expect STEEP depreciation.

The benefit to you for buying a Montego with low rebate is that even now at the end of the model year, residuals for leases on Montegos is near 50% for a 36 mo/12k per year lease.

For comparison,a GMQ LS has a 38% residual for the same lease.

The low rebate is possible because Ford is doing a better job controlling the inventory on the Montego thanks to the Flexible Manufacturing plant it is built at.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,437
    Which also means they aren't selling many of them at all. Granted, it is better to admit it is not a car many people want, and stop trying to push it beyond that. But, heck, it just hurts a Ford loyalist to see how far Ford (and Mercury) have fallen under the six year reign of boring Mr. Ford.
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Posts: 271
    If your looking to save money with this car your best bet, I believe, you should go with the Ford Five Hundred SE. Going with the Montego, your spending more money for the same exact car. I could see if you were getting a different engine by buying a Montego but fact is your not. The only difference is looks and it's not a big difference.

All options are offered with both cars. Even if there was different options, why pay more for a car to get an option you have to pay for on top of that and I'm sure you could live without anyway.

The SE your getting the better trany. You can get the 2WD or AWD version, which I wouldn't buy the AWD unless I lived in an mountainous or snowy area. You can get it with Leather seats, moonroof, safety and security package, and traction. Personally, I rather have cloth because it burns up in the summer and freezes up in the winter.

The options you would be sacrificing is the Nav. (use a map), Family Entertainment (buy a portable DVD, much cheaper), Reverse Sensing (stop being lazy and turn your head), Power adj. Pedals (unless your short and if you are you probably wouldn't like the Five Hundred/Montego), and Homelink (if you have a cell phone it's the same thing).

Se invoice starts at $20,507. Power moonroof invoice is $779. Safety and Security Package invoice is $692. Traction Control invoice is $170. Destination charge is $700. Total invoice is $22,848 minus the $1,000 rebate $21,848. If your a good negotiator, don't mention the rebate and negotiate below invoice first then mention the rebate. Go the last day of July or August and they just might be desperate enough to make a last sale.
  • hotpropshotprops Posts: 9
    dont forget if you have a family member in service ,My Marine son saved me $500
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Homelink has nothing at all to do with phones, cellular or otherwise. It is a transmitter to open garage doors, gates, and such. You can buy an aftermarket rear view mirror with Homelink, a compass, and automatic dimming.

I certainly agree that cloth is best in warm seasons, although cooled leatrher seats (offered on several Ford and GM vehicles as well as some foreign brands) may be better, since the leather is easier to keep clean. Perforated leather is a step below those, and the worst (for a vehicle in a warm climate/season)is solid leather.

Mercurys are not always more expensive than Fords. My 2002 Mountaineer was $1,200 less than the identically equipped Explorer.
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Posts: 271
    I was only referring to the Five Hundred price to Montego.

Thought Homelink was some kind of calling device for emergencies.

My point is, for this particular sedan you might save yourself some $$$ if you buy the 2006 SE while supplies, which I think are in numbers, and rebates last.

As a family man, affordability, ergonomic, and safety is exactly what I and my family needs.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    From the last paragraph of 7/31/06 Automotive News:

"Ford is dropping the continuously variable transmission offered in the Ford Freestyle, Five Hundred and Mercury Montego at the end of the 2007 model year."
  • Will there be stability control on the 2008 model?
  • the cvt will still be aval on the high end awd limited.it is a great trans and a blast to drive and has the better 0 to 60 mph times over the 6auto.try to get some of the last ones left .ford is saving $700 to $800 per unit going to the six speed!!
    Since the CVT is made by Ford at its Batavia Ohio plant which is scheduled to close in 2008 I strongly doubt that the CVT will be avaialble for any model as the article eludes to.
    Also the $500 military offer and the loyalty cash are both considered private offers and cannot be combined.

Mark.
  • I got all sort of discounts rebates ect who cares whatthey are called ,also the cvt will go into awd 500 FOREVER.. cant link up to 6 speed.also the plant has not closed yet and they most likely have a few on the shelf. bill
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    No...the next AWD will not have the cvt.

Nice try, though.
  • NEXT awd define next? 2010!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    It is my understanding that the 08 Five Hundred, due less than a year from now, will come with the 3.5L engine, and that the current CVT cannot handle the torque or horsepower. There will not be a CVT available...it will come with the GM/Ford Joint Venture Six Speed. The plant where the current CVT is built, in Batavia, Ohio, is slated for closure, and soon.

This does not even take into account the most recent financial news at Ford, which may further impact this situation.
  • torque not hp breaks things and how do you know that the 3.5 will be offered in the awd ,also how do you know the 3.5 if ever offered will have more torque? also both gm and ford are tanking maby ending this new venture!!
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    The 3.5L will be offered in AWD trim. The 3.5L will also have much more torque, so far 255HP from preliminary specs. As it is, the AWD system will be an improved Haldex version as well...GM/Fords current state of affair won't affect the joint venture product. They both have rights to use/alter the transmission, if there's a desolution of partnership pertaining to that product.
    Ford's Five Hundred platform will underpin four new vehicles http://tinyurl.com/s862n
  • Ride height is my "holy grail as I am 6'1", 240 lbs with a spinal fusion. Are there another SEDANS (not suv or minivans) that have the high seat one can sit up in. besides the ford/mercury?
  • slider7slider7 Posts: 33
    FYI to all, the Volvo XC-90 uses the same platform as the Five Hundred. The XC-90 has AWD combined with the old Taurus SHO Yamaha 8 banger putting out 315HP. Ford already had the right set up all along. They just didn't want to upset the buyers that paid $37,000 to $55,000!
  • I have been in several forums on this subject and have not recieved any advice. I AM and old man with limited back flexibility and mobility. I want a car like the 500 but do not want to buy a Ford.
    Does anyone know of any other sedans (NOT minivans or SUVs) that have the high seats and easy exit/egress of the 500. I will buy it! :confuse: :confuse:
  • Volvo
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,437
    Toyota Avalon.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    Is it just Ford, or all Ford products? The Mercury Montego is the same as the 500.
  • Thanks, folks. Volvo is owned by Ford, and yes it is the Ford corporation.
    I will look at the Avalon. Appreciate the input. :)
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    The Buick Lucerne is pretty comforable. Most sedans sit too low, have limited headroom with a moonroof.
    I don't want to go there again.

Mark....
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased a Ford Fusion, Milan, Five Hundred or waiting to purchase the Ford Edge. Please send an e-mail to [email protected] no later than Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by 5:30 PM PT/8:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.
    Does anyone know if there will be any improvements to the 2008 model interiors, (e.g. a telescoping steering wheel, nicer materials, a nicer and narrower console)?
    Although I have an Edge on order, I really would prefer a sedan, preferably one with an elevated seating position, and the cargo space of the Five Hundred and Montego is even better for my needs that that in a CUV / SUV. The combination of no telescoping steering wheel and the over-sized boxy console makes it impossible for me to sit comfortably in the current versions, the current interior is cheaply finished, and the current engine and CVT are far too noisy.

We all know that the 2008 models coming out in early 2007 will be shown at the Detroit show, and will have the new 3.5 V6 and GM-Ford 6-speed automatic, and will have enhanced front and rear exterior styling. What about the interior? Bill Ford has mentioned something about a revised interior, but why haven't any photos been taken of the new interior, if there is one?

In fact, why is Ford waiting? All of the vehicles which might compete with the Five Hundred are already on the market, or are so close to being on sale that photos and detailed specifications have been published. The only exception is the next Accord, although plenty of people would dispute that it and the Five Hundred / Montego compete. Therefore, what has Ford got to loose by ending the secrecy about the revised Five Hundred and Montego?

The sales of the current models will not decrease, but Ford stands a good chance of causing people to delay purchases of vehicles if they have all of the information on the revised Five Hundred and Montego. Why not release photos, specifications, and show the new versions in Anaheim? If they are not finished by now, Ford is in far greater trouble than any of us imagined.
This discussion has been closed.