Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

1111112113114115117»

Comments

• You can't really compare the Edge/MKX performance of the 3.5L to the same engine in the 2008 Taurus. Those vehicles are SUVs, at least 400 lbs heavier than the Taurus sedan.

That said, I don't think the 3.5L will be a quantum leap over the 3.0 Duratec. The prices on leftover 500s are phenomenal, utter steals.

Regardless, the 500 is the most splendid sedan available. Huge room, good handling, decent economy, unmatched safety. It stuns me that they don't sell well. It covers all the performance bases--so what's the problem???

Why do so many people shop the Ford store and drive out with an ancient Crown Vic?? Why would anyone buy a 4cyl Camry when a leftover 500 is priced less??? :confuse:
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    I own an '06 Five Hundred that is a company car. Let me tell you that it is one boring design to look at. In addition, the CVT tranny takes some real getting use to.

I also wonder about fuel economy with the CVT since if you really put your foot in to it (like you need to do with the 3.0) the motor revs are real high for what seem an extended amount of time.
    Just my thoughts.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The exterior styling of the Five Hundred wasn't very good and now the 2008 Taurus has gone from plain to gaudy with all the chrome add-ons.
    This car isn't what people want and they are probably working hard at a complete redesign in a few years.
    They should probably get rid of both the Taurus and Crown Victoria in a couple years and come out with a new rear-drive sedan that replaces both. There is no need for two Ford full-size sedans.
    At least Ford is having better luck with the Fusion even if it is not a contender to outsell the Camry and Accord.
    I completely agree Jaxs1.

Well said.
  • donl1donl1 Posts: 112
    I had a 05' AWD LTD Five Hundred for about a year and put almost 20K miles on it and it was all around disappointing.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,437
    There are reasons that evreyone doesn't share your assessment of the 500 as the "most splendid" sedan: to amny it is plain-to-almost-homely looking, the mileage isn't anything to write home about, lots of road noise, cheap looking interior, way bigger than some people want, no stability control available, no optional engine. It's safety rating is only good with the side airbags. Now, the Taurus has fixed some of those things, but it has still a plain to awkward shape adn profile.

Splendid is in the eye of the beholder. If you find it splendid, then you will get a darn good buy.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    Safety is only good with the side airbags? Where did that come from. It has always had a "best" rating from both testing groups, even without the side airbags on the earlier models.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,437
    Nope. Check again. One group said the side bags were required for a good rating. The other didn't. Look it up. In any event, it is moot now, as they are standard on the Taurus.
  • Dvd drive motor not initializing - would need to replace unit or rebuild unit. My car has 43,756 miles on it. I spent $1600.00 on this luxury item new and they want $600.00 to replace a dvd drive motor! Dealer tells me you should have bought the extended warranty and I tell him, Do you think I'll buy another car off of you! Where can I buy a new dvd drive motor ? I'll put in myself ! Thank you for your time and imput! :lemon:
  • IF I'M correct ford have another company make those radios when i go to work tuesday i'll find out who makes them and also check ebay too. :D
  • Good thing we aren't all the same and want the same cookie cutter car. I loved my 05 LTD when I got it in 05. Still in love today. Haven't had any mechanical problems. Engine is more than adequate even in Dallas rush hour traffic. The room and comfort are superb. I get great service from my local FLM dealership. Though mostly it's just LOF & tire rotations. MPG have been great for a large sedan. {23 mixed and 28 hwy.} And I don't see umpteen dozen of them when I'm parked in a large parking lot somewhere. Usually making it easier to find my own. ;)

:D
  • slider7slider7 Posts: 33
    Purchased July 17 2006, Limited FWD 0,0% $1,000 cash back. Today has about 26,750 miles since new. Synthetic Oil changes - 5. Replacement air filters - 3. Tire Rotation -once at 22,000 / second time will be at about 44,000 along with it's first four wheel alignment. Project tire replacement in four more years. Has never been back to any dealer since sold, no problems whatsoever. Will have Sears replace rear brakes next month with ceramics and oil change and update inspection sticker. Tire pressure is 38psi all around, "New Finish" wax on all exterior paint and glass, flat highway cruise at 70 mph is 31.8 mpg in that bullet-proof Porsche designed 3.0 V6 quattrovalve bolted to a Toyota 6 speed tranny in a Volvo platform. A real creampuff!
    The 6 speed transmission is a good one. I had a 500 with the CVT transmission. It was a piece of junk.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    Don't they recommend tire rotation every 5k to 10k miles?
  • "...Toyota 6 speed tranny ..."

Isn't the 6-speed in the 500/Mtgo an Aisin brand? (Not to be confused with the 6-speed in the current Taurus which is a Ford/GM joint brand.) I know Toyota is a 30% shareholder in Aisin, but Aisin transmissions go into many worldwide cars/trucks and that company is run independently of Toyota. Aisin started by stealing a bunch of tech from Borg-Warner years ago, not Toyota.
    Transmission used in the 500/Montego -- click here
  • neile457neile457 Posts: 65
    I currently own an 08 Fusion SE 4 cyl with 80k miles. I am tempted to trade in for an 05 Five Hundred Limited FWD with 70k miles. Price wise, I will end up paying $1k more for the Five Hundred. Should I even consider this? The idea for doing this is for room. I am 6 ft 4 in, 300 lbs, and while I fit in the Fusion, I know the Five Hundred will be more comfortable. I drive 30k miles a year for work, and comfort is a huge plus. My Fusion has been really reliable.

Some things I am concered about:
    1. The actual value of the Five Hundred, I am wondering if the Five Hundred should actually be an upgrade in price (mainly because it is 3 years older)
    2. Reliability - Will the Five Hundred run up to 200k miles with little extra cost (other than regular maintenance)
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    edited July 2010
    Have you driven the Five Hundred? While it has a bigger trunk and rear seat area than the Fusion, the drivers area is a little cramped. The Fusion may be more comfortable for the driver. You do sit higher in the Five Hundred which gives you better visibility front and rear
    I'm going to drive it tomorrow. I guess I will see about the driver's area. It looks like on comparing dimensions, leg room is .5 inches shorter on the Five Hundred, but every other dimension is much larger.
    definately much more comfortable than my Fusion, but the one I test drove had a transmission problem, so I passed. Suppose to test drive an AWD tomorrow, but I'm not sure after reading several boards about the transmission, a/c compressor, and brake problems, I think I might stick with my Fusion.
  • 2007 Montego 6 speed trans. 31,000 miles. Transmission shifts into higher gears to soon. Engine tends to lug at lowwer speeds, gas milage gone as I have to down shift to soon. Love the 6 speed, gets 30mpg at interstate speeds. Anyone had this problem.
    Lifter
  • I've got 49k on a 2005 Montego with the same transmission problems. I've read TSB 06-11-4 and a lot of my symptoms coincide with the bulletin. I'm going to take it to the dealer this Friday (still under an extended warranty) and see what they think.

The vibrations in low rpm speeds have gotten noisier to the point of annoyance.
This discussion has been closed.