Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma Real World MPG Numbers

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    uk_evvuk_evv Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2008 tacoma 4X4 V6 double cab and I am averaging 18 mpg (combination of 50% highway and 50% city). The truck came with a bed cover and I was wondering if it would help the mileage if I took it out. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    00cabrio08reno00cabrio08reno Member Posts: 14
    i get about 20 to 22 with 33" tires and 3 inches of lift
  • Options
    jhm53jhm53 Member Posts: 1
    My 2011 TRD 2wd 4.0 V6 is getting around 18-19 around town and 21-22 on the highway. I am considering a chip. Anyone out there getting increases in mpg with chips ??
  • Options
    I have a Scan Gauge and have been using it on this truck and my previous Tacoma (2007 Prerunner Access Cab 2.7/5M). Ironically, the V6 auto gets about the same gas mileage as the 4 cyl 5 speed manual did. I think the worst tank I've ever gotten was 18+ (which included a LOT of stop and go traffic) and I just did a tank at 23.9, which actually included a LOT of town driving in Phoenix. Town mileage has more to do with how many stoplights you encounter, and highway mileage has more to do with speed and wind resistance. Driving across Phoenix on city streets, during certain times of the day when traffic isn't too heavy, I can often go several miles without hitting a traffic light, cruizing along about 40-50 mph... and when I look down at the Scan Gauge I notice that my "trip" is averaging between 25 and 30 mpg for 20-30 miles. The Scan Gauge resets and starts a new "trip" every time you turn off the ignition. Once I get out on the freeway though, if I drive 65-70 for long distances, the trip mileage rarely exceeds 24 mpg... and over 70, anything over 20 mpg is luck. Obviously wind resistance is the critical factor as you go faster. FWIW, I did have a vinyl toneau cover on the bed for a 2000 mile trip, and I don't think it helped at all.