Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I would find a reputable local body shop. My wife's co-worker is married to a body man that works for a well-regarded shop that does mostly Mercedes and Volvo work. He told me at a party once to avoid having body work done at the dealership. Many dealers, he said, are over-burdened with work at certain times of the year. When this happens, they sometimes farm out body work to independent shops-- some of whom are better than others.
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    we are going in on Monday for a oil change ,tire rotation and a check for the recall on the power steering . i have noticed in the past few days that the front end on the drivers side seems a little off I am going to mention it is seems to be the shock . I also wanted to ask anyone here if they have the problem with the power liftgate. It seems to only happen in the really cold weather but it doesn't stay up after the button is pressed . it comes right back down. is anyone experiencing any of this and do you have any possiable solutions?
  • huxhux Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else experienced odd shifting? On a cold start in the mornings, I literally fly out of my garage and up the street without ever putting my foot on the gas pedal. My RPM's are at approx 1200 without applying gas. I have to hit the brakes and come to a complete stop before they go down to about 750. Also have trouble getting out of 3rd gear until I hit 35mph and since I do a lot of in town driving there are times when I never make it out of 3rd gear. I've asked my dealer about this as I first noticed it when I got the car and was told this is normal. They suggested I drive it until my first oil change. I also have problems when going downhill and especially going around a corner - I apply the brakes going around the corner and then apply the gas again after taking the corner and the car downshifts while I'm applying gas. Also when stopped and brake applied, resting rpms are so high that I feel like I'm using brake and gas at same time! I've noticed some posts for 2004's and earlier and feel like I'm having some of the same hesitation, gear hunting, and slingshot problems that the earlier models had. My dealer assures me that these have been corrected but you can't convince me of that. They think that since I'm a woman I wouldn't know anything about how a car should shift but I have driven a stick for years and also an automatic van and know that the shifting on the 2005 Sienna does not feel "right".

Gas mileage has not been great. For an all highway trip last week (400 miles) I got only 20 mpg and that's the best I've gotten so far. I have 4200 miles on it right now.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If it's normal they should all do it. Suggest that the service manager take a ride in some other '05's on the lot and show you how they all slingshot too.

Steve, Host
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    In regards to the hesitation problem, this is being discussed on other boards for other models. A generic hesitation discussion was started by the Hosts. It is "Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)"

if you want more information/advice. There has been recent indication that Toyota is looking into the problem and trying to find a fix. It sounds like hesitation may be the least of your problems though!
  • geneegenee Member Posts: 170
    I had the seat heaters "fixed" last week to stop the "heat only on high" problem. Now they do heat in all positions but no where nearly as warm as the before. Anyone else experiencing this? The local paper recently ran an article about a paralyzed man getting 3rd degree burns from the seat heater he didn't know was on .. no chance with the "new" heat in ours. The wife left hers on HI for four hours yesterday and never got too warm.
  • wep68wep68 Member Posts: 18
    I cannot get my 04 Sienna with the manual HVAC control to blow warm air from the top vents in the back. No matter what settings I use - whether using the front controls or the rear contols - I only get cool air from the upper vents in the rear. The lower vent does blow warm air. In the summer, the air from the upper vents is cooled, but no warming.

My request / question. Does your van blow warm air out of the upper rear vents?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Toyota/Lexus models, automatic HVAC design by NipponDenso, Denso US, will not blow warm air out of anywhere but the footwell outlets, not even to keep the windshield defogged or to remove condensation, except during the warm-up period before the passenger cabin is at or close to the temperature setpoint.

Denso is quite proud of this aspect, even though it may have resulted in not just a few deaths (sudden and unexpected complete fogging over of the windshield), and have even applied for a patent.

If you are discomforted by the system's automatic switch to cooling mode, resulting in cool and dry airflow to your face and upper body, perhaps you should discuss with the dealer which c-best options are available for your vehicle.

In the 04 and later RX330 you can set c-best options such that you can manually disable the A/C during the winter months. Turn it off once and it remains off until you turn it back on.

Another c-best option is that you can "unlink" the A/C from operating automatically with defrost/defog/demist.

And finally, the BEST C-best option........

You can set it up so it doesn't automatically switch to cooling mode. In the meantime you can remove the discomfort of cooling mode by simply manually switching the system back into footwell mode. And keep in mind that if the windshield does tend to fog over the system should be kept in combined footwell and windshield heating mode and with the blower turned up slightly above where it would otherwise be in automatic mode.
  • ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    I had the same experience. I'm probably going to figure out how to undo whatever the fix was. I forget the details, but it involves switching some pins around on a wiring connector.
    WWEST -- My van has manual controls. Does your email apply to manual controls as well. Also, my van does does apply warm air thru the dash level vents in the front.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It wouldn't surprise me at all to discover the same "restriction" exists in the Toyota manual HVAC system.

Have you tried turning the heat all the way up, while selecting the "cooling" outlets, and then using the blower speed to modulate the heating level?

And by the way, why are you trying to get heat from the "cooling" outlets, to me that would be somewhat discomforting.
    To respond to your suggstion --No heat flows from the upper rear vents, even when set to full heat. That is the problem

I want heat from those outlets because

1) its cold in the car

2) it keeps the rear windows from fogging

Does anyone with a 04 Sienna with manual HVC controls have experience with this issue
    Any idea how warm the seats are suppose to get anyway? I just went for a ride this weekend with a friend that has a honda odessy (sp?) either a 2000 or 2001 . I was wondering how warm our sienna seats should be because hers were burning bun warmers. it was so hot that i had to ask to shut them off. Now my sienna seats just seem to get slightly warm and that is all . is that normal just slightly war are we suppose to have hot buns?? OK little humor there . Just asking i have not taken it in yet as i had a family problem and couldn't take it on Monday.
    Mom - you asked a really critical question. Before the "fix" our Sienna would get to the point I would turn them off on my side. Our Scion (after market leather and warmers) heats very well - when on HI about 8 of 10 on an electric blanket . The Bimmer in our family heats up and you turn them down to Medium after 15 minutes. But after the "fix" the Sienna can run for hours and you just feel warm.
  • photogeekphotogeek Member Posts: 10
    My 2005 Sienna died after expereinceing the same problem at 295 miles. they replaced the transmission, but it is still riding rough. Please call your dealer and Toyota. I am currently going through subrogation to return the van!!!! Do not let this problem slide, else you will be stuck on the side of the road as i was!!!!!
    My transmisson had to be replaced after this problem, I had the probelm form day one.....
  • ed724ed724 Member Posts: 3
    Well, it may be a problem for the way you want it to work, but,

Toyota reported in a response to another owner with the same question that the upper rear vents are for cooling only.

I have tried to get hot air out of the upper vents as well, but was only able to obtain warm air. I think although Toyota says it's for cooling only, some of the air will get heated from the coil in the rear resulting in warm air.

ed724
    Was the window in the door all the way up? FYI are you aware of the feature that prevents the door from latching when the window is down around 6 in?

ed724
    Who ever wrote that article obviously was unaware of the master switch up front to make it an instant manual rear hatch. WEEEEEE

ed724
  • willybillybobwillybillybob Member Posts: 1
    a few days ago, my sienna could barely start and stalled in the middle of the road. it was a cold day...but i was extremely surprised because the van is not even a year old! i got it fixed and supposedly just needed an "air flow meter" to be replaced. this was so weird...i thought toyota cars were reliable...
  • jcolburnjcolburn Member Posts: 1
    Try converting a tire carrier from a MB M class SUV or mount one on a trailer hitch I found one on the www.4x4abc.com/ML320 M4 Package.
  • joeb24joeb24 Member Posts: 111
    Thanks jcolburn. I saw the M4 Pkg full-size spare tire carrier on the website you provided. That's a neat idea. Right now, my full size spare for my Sienna AWD is in my trunk behind the third row seat. I wonder how hard it would be to install that tire carrier on a Sienna? How do I find out if they are available?
    if there is something else brewing in the front end. Just the past few days I have this noise in the drivers side front end I think it may be the shock it is only when going over 30 mph over a bump . I have had front end problems with a gm truck but this just sounds different and i know someone here before was talking about a bum shock. just wondering any help??
  • cablekccablekc Member Posts: 54
    I don't know if its a real problem....but does anyone else get about 300 miles inbetween fill-up?

Maybe its cuz of the AWD...but I thought it was a little odd.
    I have FWD 2005 CE and get less between fill-ups. I drive 25 miles per day 50/50 city/hwy and 15 MPG is the best, 13 is the worst. It is a problem and I'm having it checked.
  • joeculver3joeculver3 Member Posts: 1
    I do the same thing. I cut the sidewall on a curb and the tire was coming off the rim.

after checking the Toyota dealer and tire shops to no avail, I had to have a replacement shipped in from out of town - and I live in L.A.!!! I bought 2, had the new pair put on one axle and carry the good used tire as a spare whenever I go more than 100 miles from home. The tire (without rim) in a plastic bag gets stacked with the other luggage behind the seats.
  • ricobeachricobeach Member Posts: 29
    Hello everyone,

I just had the power steering hose and radiator recalls performed on my Sienna. I did some basic marking of components to make sure that the items were replaced but I am not sure that I know which power steering hose is supposed to be replaced. Can anyone out there tell me which line is supposed to be replaced and where it is in the engine compartment? I marked the power steering line coming out of the fluid storage container and running down the passenger (right) side of the engine to the bottom of the engine compartment. If this is the return line, my dealership didn't replace anything.

Thanks,

Rico
    Recall requires Hose Kit part number 04004-46208, according to my service receipt.
  • judyjudy Member Posts: 4
    We have one of the first 2004 sienna le w/trac control (purchased may 2003). Last week after a snow storm our warning lights came on (emergency brake light, trac control, vsc & abs). Brought it into the dealer and found the hydrolic brake booster is bad. A $1500 part! Since we have 40,000 miles it's not covered under the warranty. We are so mad! This is our first and last Toyota. I'm calling Toyota today and hopefully they will cover it. Keep you posted.
    Thanks Heywood1 for the reply. I will check the p/s hoses to see if there is a part number on them. Hopefully the number will be somewhere that is easily visible. Weather has been cold and snowy recently so I have not tried very hard to check under the hood.

Rico
    I have no idea whether or not the Hose Kit number is stamped on the actual part itself--let alone exacatly where. Was it referenced on your repair order?
  • tsunamitsunami Member Posts: 7
    I have an O4 ltd and also notice it pulls to the right especially at highway speeds.

I have read some posts where they say it is the curvature of the road (for drainage) that may be the cause, but I have noticed this when i am in the center lanes of the freeway and my other cars don't seem affected by this.
  • bobcuibobcui Member Posts: 8
    I purchased 05 LE AWD with a dealer installed Toyota Security alarm system (coed V5) for $400 3 weeks ago. Now I just checked and found it is not working whatever you do according to the manual (3200 plus). I was told by dealer that it is the way if you put a add-on alarm. Is there any one know more about the add-on alarm on Sienna? Thanks.
    I believe that most hoses have a part number on them. I don't have my repair order with me but it should have a number on it. The hose number may not match the "kit" number but I can check with a parts department to see what part is used. In any case, the hose should look new compared with the other hoses nearby since it was supposedly replaced by the recall.

I was told by someone on another forum that the hose that is replaced is physically located underneath the vehicle. I will be changing the oil soon so I will look for the return line from underneath. If I find it, I will post it's exact location in case others need to check it's condition.

Rico
    I forgot to mention it is a VIP 3200 plus.
    I got a reminder notice that I did not take the van in for the recall on the power steering hose .I had a problem the day of the last appointment and didn't go so when I called I told them about the recall the tire rotation and the oil change as well as the noise i am hearing in the front end. Here is the kicker they said there area few other recalls we might not have been notified of yet a plastic sealent on the doors , a sticker for the owners manual and the radiator . So if it goes in and they all come up on the car they will do them all in one day. That was a suprise to me anyone else here of these recalls?
    After tremendous success with other Toyotas - including a 2000 XLE Sienna - we have found our 2004 XLE Limited several giant steps BACKWARD. All previous units generated AT LEAST the sticker gas mileage. This one is super thirsty - we get on the road what was "predicted" for town. The tranny searches for a gear when the cruise control is engaged and you go over a cigarette butt. We had the "heats only on HI" problem "fixed" only to have lukewarm seats. We got lured into the Toyota image and expected an improvement with the "much better and safer" Sienna. Oh! How we wish we still had the 2000 with its 49K miles ...
    both my GM's I am still so unsure of any car now. i went with toyota because of the "name" all of our friends who have them LOVE them and have nothing bad ever to say about them only the usual work had to be done (oil changes ETC) I hope that this van lasts me the next 4-6 years !! I have a 3 year old and need it!! LOL well I actually purchased it outright so no payments and I can sell it at will or turn it in in the case of a really bad lemon :( (HOPE NOT) I still love it better then the venture or trailblazer that I got rid of to get it. I have not decided to touch the bun warmers because i don't want the "FIX" to make it worse. So i will deal with them on HI for now.
  • pinecrest49pinecrest49 Member Posts: 4
    Where is the oil filter located? I couldn't find it. What brand of air filter and a/c filter do you use? Also do you know of any repair manuals on the market for the 04' Sienna. Haynes doesn't publish one. Thanks
  • weedshastaweedshasta Member Posts: 85
    I notice that the rear side windows have lines in them like those on the rear hatch window, but they go in a pattern and not just straight across. When I use the defrost on the rear window, nothing happens on the side. Are these for defrosting or something else? Maybe they are part of the antenna system? I could not find a reference in the owner's manual.
    XLE or XLE LTD? Those lines on the rear quarterpanel windows are the antenna for the radio. I have an XLE LTD and that is where the antenna is . They are not for defrosting.
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    had my "bun warmers" fixed, and it did not effect how hot they get on my seats, just as hot as it got before the fix.
  • gtgraygtgray Member Posts: 22
    I may have a similar problem with the heated seats only working on "HIGH" - but am afraid to have it "fixed" if it will leave me with lukewarm results.

Has anyone else out there had this problem and made the repair?
    on high . i have this too but here and there have heard that the "fix" is really no better or worse. i am going to leave them for now and see if they can come out with a better fix then what is out there now. today i used them and they seemed hotter but only on the high setting i guess it may also be that it is very early when I am out and off to school and it has been freezing here in the last few weeks . no warmer then 20 degrees on any given day.I guess we will have to wait and see.
    Some strange miracle has happened in the front seats of my 04 Sienna XLE Ltd. The "bun warmers" - heat on HI only, fixed, lukewarm - have functioned PERFECTLY the last few days. Plenty of heat at ALL settings in both seats. So, if you are one of the "heat on HI only" people .. go for the fix. We do have the "Maintainence Required" light staring us in the face for 20 seconds after a cold start; but, the bun warmers work.
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Trying to get an assessment of situation with Toyota Sienna.

Like the Sienna, problems I am seeing are engine hesitation, rating, something about ventalation system fogging when shut off. What else should I look for?
    This light flashes for 12 seconds after start up when the odometer "thinks" it is time for an oil change. Easy to clear:a) select ODO; 2) turn engine off; 3) hold reset button and turn ignition on; 4) hold for five seconds -odometer reads 0000000 and light goes out. I guess one should read the manual more than the first time out the door ...
  • ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    I just picked up a 2005 Limited yesterday and it came with the door locks defaulting to unlocking when the van is placed into PARK. I want to change it so the doors do NOT unlock automatically when the van is placed into park. The instructions in the manual say to: 1. Close all doors and turn ignition to ON. 2. Shift selector to "P". 3. Within ten seconds of turning the van ON, hold the driver's side power door switch in the unlock position for 5 seconds and then let go of the switch. The doors are supposed to lock and unlock to confirm the change. However, I tried this in every variation I could think of and nothing happens. The default remains unchanged. The instructions are a bit weird in that the van is already in "P" when I turn it on so shifting it INTO "P" after I turn it on didn't make sense but just in case it mattered I also tried turning it on, putting it in neutral, then back to Park, then hit the switch for 5 seconds as instructed. Still nothing. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? (I also tried the sequence for changing the automatic lock option but that didn't work either.)

Thanks, Ed
    I have a 05 LE AWD with 800 miles on it. There is wired sound from the compartment, like "Aaaa......." from a deep throat, when the van starts moving. The manual said the trac control/stability control are working to cause the noise as the car starts moving, is it true? Thanks.
  • weedshastaweedshasta Member Posts: 85
    I spent a lot of time trying to program the garage door opener. I finally found that I had to hold the button for a long time (like over a minute) before it worked. I think the instructions said 20 seconds. So the first thing I would try is to hold the button for longer than 5 seconds. I did this successfully when I first got the car, but it took me several tries. Being alone in the car I DID NOT want everything to unlock when I put it into park. Could be dangerous.
This discussion has been closed.