Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,469
    It should fit in any model year, but only on an 8-passenger model.
  • sunblocksunblock Posts: 1
    Hi,

Have you found where the air filter located at? I have the same model and I could not find it either. It's wierd. I'd like to change it too. If you know where it is, please let me know. Thank you very much. :confuse:
  • It looks like somebody tried to hang on my drivers side mirror and cracked the bracket that holds the mirror. The mirror is fine though. I'm trying, without much luck yet, to find a bracket at the junkyard. But I was wondering if anybody had advice on how to replace the bracket. I suspect I have to remove some door panels from the inside, but haven't had to do that before. Any handy diagrams out there? Any help is appreciated.
  • ayosh5ayosh5 Posts: 3
    I'm having the same problem with my van which I purchased brand new in 2004. The dealership fixed the leak but the smell and mildew is visible. (More to this story) Its to the point were I believe my families health has been affeted by this. I don't know what to do.
    What other steps did you take?
  • easym1easym1 Posts: 218
    Hello everyone. I'm looking at the 2006 Sienna LE. I'd like to know your actual real life MPG on highway and city.

I will also checking on a comparable 2006 Honda Odyssey.
  • beernutbeernut Posts: 329
    Hey easy,

I'm going throught the exaxct same process. Maybe we can shop together.

I looked at the Nissan Quest last night. Fit and finish sucked and Consumer Reports predicts well below average reliability, but it sounded like they were pretty hot to deal on the price. Have you looked at them?

I'm leaning heavily toward the Toyota vs. Honda for various reasons. How 'bout you?
    Hello beernut,

I have checked both the Odyssey EX and Sienna LE and honestly, both are great cars and drives well. But there are few difference. The Odyssey is $300 Canadian more but have 29 more HP. The torque on Odyssey is 18 ft/lb more. It also have an ON and OFF switch on the front-Impact airbag, got a Standard Electronic Climate Control, and Rear A/C.

Despite that, I would like to see how they compare in real life MPG since I will be using the minivan mostly for long range travel with my family.

I also noticed that the Odyssey is more roomy but the Sienna seems to have a better styling. With the $300 difference. You can't go wrong on either cars.

Another thing that need to be considered is the Sienna model is earlier than Odyssey. So, if there is a bug, chances are, the Sienna has found most of it.

Regarding the Nissan Quest, for whatever reason, the styling looks a bit off for me but a buddy of mine got one and heloves it.

We would like to hear from our friends regarding MPG.
    I usually look a lot before I buy, so I looked at the Sienna again today - this time without the wife so I had plenty of time. I'm liking the feel and looks of it better than the Honda - more style but not goofy like the Nissan.

I've thought about that HP difference since I'll be pulling a 2,000# trailer. I don't think it will be a factor in the end since the Sienna should have enough, and I think the Toyota is smoother and quieter. I like the way the trans feels better, too.

Rear heat and air is standard on the Sienna LE according to their book. You have to go to the XLE for climate control and that's getting in to the dough - Canadian or US.

Consumer Reports put the Honda slightly ahead of the Toyota partially because they liked the better performance and handling. They noted, however, that it sacrifices comfortable ride and quietness to do that. The more I thought about it, I realized that I'm buying it for long trips with the family just like you are and that I valued quiet and smooth a lot more than performance and handling. I'm not buying a MINIVAN to race around corners in.

After my inspection today, I'm 80% Toyota, 20% Honda, 0% Nissan/Dodge/Ford/Chevy/etc.

I'll bet you a White Castle's hamburger the Toyota comes in a tad better on the highway...
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,469
    Don't get caught up in the hp wars - these are minivans, and besides the Odyssey weighs several hundred pounds more than the Sienna, so the hp is offset.

re mileage. It is hard to compare different driving styles, but on long highway trips my Sienna has ranged from 29.5 on a 450 mile trip averaging 72 mph with a tailwind to a low of about 21 averaging 81 mph into a strong headwind. With no wind going 65 mph it will be around 30 mpg, and about 27 mpg at 70 mph. If you have the patience it will get well into the 30's if you drive 55.

In the city it can be as low as 15 mpg, to near 20. This includes short trips (less than a mile) in near 0 weather.
    Hey dudleyr,

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind.
    Hello beernut,
    I'm 70-30 in favor of Sienna at this point, unfortunately, I have to factor my wife's input along with my kids. Although I'm buying the minivan for looks and practicality, my kids were looking at MP3, videos and all sorts of electronic gadgets. I guess I have to include those so they don't get bored whenever we travel.

Thank you all!
  • wschanwschan Posts: 6
    Hi
    I just want to know if you hear any noise from fuel tank while driving the car in a very quiet environment. Actually it is not noise but some sounds like the water flowing around when the car is moving. I bet it is gasoline.
    Thks
    Wil
    Yup, I just hung up with my brother in Chicago. He's is at exactly the same stage with Honda vs Toyota vans.

I think the general consensus is that both are great vehicles and top most people's lists. They also both have all the electronics available that you could ever need.

I maintain that it has to come down to YOUR personal comfort level during operation - driving. The catalog and these Edmunds boards can not tell your butt how the seat feels on a long trip, how smooth/quiet it is over various road surfaces, how comfortable the kids/guests will be on a long trip or how good visibility is. You and the wife must test DRIVE both models a lot. Sit in all the seats while someone else drives. You and the wife and the kids should each open and close all the doors and get in and out 25 times. Wear the demo out to your satisfaction and the choice will become clear. AND it will be YOUR choice, not the salesman's, Consumer Report's or MotorTrend's.

My salesmen all hate me already but I could care less. $25K+ is a lot of my money and I will be driving it for the next 10 years.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Another word of advice, free, so it's worth what you pay for it.

Never, NEVER, base your decision on the radio and/or audio system, not even slightly. You are making a ~$25,000 purchase, the audio system can be completely replaced/upgraded for a faction of that.

Additionally the passenger cabin's average white noise level at speed on the highway will be in excess of 70db, even in a Lexus LS460. A CD's musical content is from 0 to 110 DB. Not an environment wherein one can truly enjoy the nuances of any type of music.

And keep in mind that you can purchase a fully portable Nav/GPS system there days for less than $1000. The portable system can be just as capable as the one "trapped" in your vehicle and oftentimes can be updated inexpensively via the internet in the privacy of your own home.

Vehicular Nav/GPS system updates are few and far between and expensive, ~$300.
    Hi I bought a Sienna 06 LE less than a week. May I ask you a question that so far observed is a problem. I hear some noises making by the fuel tank while driving in a moderate quiet environment. It is not noise but I feel the gasoline is flowing around when the car's moving. It makes me feel dangerous and frustrated as well. Any comments? Have you come across if anyone can claim this for return or exchange? Thanks
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    in my '03 ODY, i could hear gas sloshing after fillups when pulling into the garage. a few times more, and i eventually didn't hear it at all. i suspect the same will be true for you. the brain is very good at locking onto the discrepant or novel.
    Thanks for telling me your experienced. I still need to tell the sale dealer anyway just in case the sound doesn't go away. I drove the car couple times over the past three nights. The sloshing sound still there which made me feel uncomfortable. Even I did open the fuel cap for a while and tried if any squeeze gas air coming out, but seems that no such reaction which should happen to all cars.
    I assume this van has a standard baffle tank rather than a bladder cell as in some aircraft. If so, I suspect the sound is normal.
    It is exceptionally normal as no one told me they hear that sloshing sound from fuel tank for their Sienna van they're driving. Even a standard baffle tank should be equipped function to surpress the fuel moving around in the tank, as I believe. Thks
  • geneegenee Posts: 170
    Several times in the past couple of months I have noticed the rotten egg stench when I park in the garage. At less than 21K miles, the catalytic converter on this 2004 XLE Ltd shouldn't be dead. Anyone else having/had this problem? Could you get the dealer to fix it under warranty?
  • liaisonliaison Posts: 49
    Just a suggestion, but you may want to consider the trailer hitch for the Ody vs the Sienna. Earlier posts mentioned some problems with the trailer hitch on 04 Sienna's. I have an 04 XLE and love it but do not have a hitch. I especially like the the fact that both passenger doors and the liftgate can be opened and closed with the remote. That's a really nice feature when coming out of the grocery store or when you have passengers. Just my two cents.
    Thanks!

Any Sienna hitch problems out there that I need to know about? Any input would be very helpful.
  • thegagethegage Posts: 13
    As far as I know rotten egg smell has nothing to do with the function of the converter; it has more to do with the gas you use. Also, the fact that you park in a garage means the smell will be more concentrated and more noticeable. If it bugs you I'd try a different brand of gas.
  • thegagethegage Posts: 13
    All of the road cars I've owned have never had a baffle to prevent sloshing. Some have had baffles around the fuel inlet to help pickup at low fuel levels, but that's it. I've also heard sloshing to different degrees in most vehicles, from my Saab 9-5 to my '05 Sienna. I think you're worrying about something that's not really a problem.
    I purchased a new 2004 LE van and i've had a few minor problems but the latest one seems to hit me the most. I live in Hawaii and we hardly experience bad weather but this year has been very unusual (raining for about a month now). During a family get together I had to leave me van in the driveway. The next day the rear of the van was flooded iwth about an inch of rain. The dealer found a leak in my car which I believe was there for a while. There is mold growing which the dealer denies (but i'm having it tested myself) and I think my children and I got sick due to the smell we were experiencing prior to finding the leak. I would suggest to anyone who owns a 2004 sienna to park it in the rain to make sure you don't have the same problem. I didn't feel my brand new car needed to be parked in the rain but I don't know what else to do because the dealer won't help. I also found a similar problem on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If anyone of you have the same problem please let me know.
    If you decide to buy a 04 Sienna please test the rear for leaks. You will probable need to leave in the rain or drive through the car wash a few times. My solution was to stand for a while with my water hose in hand. Feel under the carpet to see if their is water if there is make sure to get it fixed. I'm currently in talks with my dealer to fix this problem.
  • tmdeptmdep Posts: 12
    I have a '04 XLE AWD and from the 1st month occassionally we'd have a problem with the egg smell. The dealer said it was gas, but my other car didn't have the problem and I've been using the same status for over 10 years. Anyway, at 23K, the van eneded up having to have both catalytic converters replaced under warranty. They said the air/fuel mix was off and it ended up burning out the cat's. Just something to mention to your dealer. In my case, the check engine light signaled they needed to be replaced.
  • tagitstagits Posts: 9
    We are looking to buy another minivan. We have an 03 Sienna, but with all the problems it had (radiator, fuel leak, seatbelts, etc), we thought we should consider the Honda Odyssey. However, on that forum, there seem to be many unhappy people with humming/vibration noises and poor dealer response to that.

So, now we are in a quandary. Sienna or Odyssey? I am wondering how many of your new Sienna owners decided against the Odyssey for the noises or other problems? Thanks in advance for any help you can give us!
    I think you should buy the Toyota just because I don't like Hondas. Hondas have always been boring to me and the dealers act like they are better than everyone else. They seem to think their cars are made of gold rather than plastic (I know, there's more metal in in a Honda than a Corvette.)

To me, the Od is dull, dull, dull - and its more money.
  • jntjnt Posts: 316
    All,

Have any of you experienced the problem where the In dash CD changer fails to eject all loaded CD discs? After It fails for awhile, the radio acts like there is no CD inside.

jt
This discussion has been closed.