Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Hyundai Azera Owners Experiences

Comments

• Thanks for your suggestions, allmet. I may try the higher octane, though I hate the thought. Never heard of Berryman's, will have to check that out. Unfortunately, 2nd Hyundai dealer is pretty much out of the question as we only have one locally. Dealer wants me to leave car overnight so guess I'll have to bite the bullet and do that, though it is a pain.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    No problem...just run 1 tank through and see if it helps out. My father turned me on to the Berryman's product. I've been using it now for almost 10 years now and it has kept all three cars running smoooooooothly!

Sorry to hear about the other dealer being out the way. It really helps when you can get a 2nd opinion on an issue.

Good luck and I hope there's a resolution that works for you.
  • Which Berryman Chem-Tool product are you using? TIA
    The one I get comes in a metal can with a screw top, the Chem-tool B-12. It's the fuel system treatment. It costs like $2.60 in Wal-Mart. Normally, what I do is get to the gas station and pour it in the tank (using a long spout funnel), then fill up so it'll mix real good.

Here's a pic of it...image

B-12 CHEMTOOL® CARBURETOR CLEANER / POUR INCleans petroleum residue and disperses moisture from fuel system, fuel injector, valves, rings, pistons, oil returns, lifters, PCV valve, and oil pump screen with High Energy Solvent Technology (H.E.S.T.). Regular use ensures higher compression, fewer repairs, lower operation costs and increased spark plug and injector life.
  • I'd thought you were using this....good for 3000 miles or between oil changes

B-12 CHEMTOOL® TOTAL FUEL SYSTEM CLEAN-UP (T.F.S.C.)
    Formulated with High Energy Solvent Technology (H.E.S.T.) and state of the art detergents to maximize an accelerate cleaning of intake valves, fuel injectors, and combustion chamber. T.F.S.C. attacks carbon deposits in the entire fuel system to help restore peak performance. Improves starting, driveability, and gas mileage.
    One application is good for 3000 miles.
    Part #2616 Net 15 fl. oz. Aluminum Bottle
    Nah...but they basically do the same thing. I use the B-12 between oil changes and trust me...never had a problem.
  • prt4prt4 Posts: 9
    did anyone have the turn-down feature for there mirrors
    on the azera.
    i was told it was not available
    i have an az with the u package
    prt675
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    RE: 517
    The "tilt in reverse" side view mirrors were never installed on the US production models, although when I purchased my car, in 05, I was informed that the feature was on the car. My owner's manual even tell how to use them. When I called Hyundai US, they sent me a new owner's manual eliminating mention of the feature.
    Some great fix!
  • jaymagicjaymagic Posts: 309
    Tilt down mirrors were on the XG series, had them and while they are nice, I would trade them in a heartbeat for the fold side mirrors on the Azera.
    RE: 519
    The XG also had 2 key remotes, that when used to open the doors selected the memory preset features for seats, mirrors etc. of the user.
    Why they elimininated these nice functions is still a great question.
    It seems as if they took a step backward, by eliminating these features that they had in their bag.
  • prt4prt4 Posts: 9
    the 07 manual has the "tilt in reverse" also.
    service tried for about 4 hours but it would not work.
    told come back tommorrow will check with hyundia
    was told N.A. on your car.
    RE: 521
    They probably will also offer you a new owner's manual.
    They still haven't been able to incorporate "Power Pedals" into memory system.
    Very slow in response to consumer requests and comments.
  • doveman7,

Are you driving a Limited Azera? I have had my '07 Limited since Feb. and have had it back to the dealership at least 7 times for the same "jitters" or shimmy as I call it. It always occurs after the car has been sitting. Do you feel it in the steering wheel? Or does it exhibit itself in the driver seat, floor, and other areas? Mine is the later. You might want to take a look at this thread: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t18869-st-20-steering-wheel-vibration.htm
    It discusses this problem with "Flat Spotting". At the recommendation of one of the more knowledgeable forum members, I raised my tire pressure up to 37 psi. I've been driving for the last two days and have noticed a significant reduction in cold starting shimmy.

Do you have the 17 inch Michelins? From my reading, these tires seem to be a common piece on all the Azeras that have a shimmy problem. Hyundai is not doing anything IMO... it is most frustrating! Ironically, Hyundai has the recommended psi at 30 (to ensure a soft floaty ride). Michelin recommends up to 44psi in these tires.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Azera, the value can't be beat. BUT this shimmy is bad...very bad. Driving the car with 37 psi does reduce the shimmy problem, but you lose ride quality - especially on concrete pavement - it can be very jarring!
    RE: 523
    Michelin does not recommend tire pressure for cars.
    The 44 psi number is the maximum tire pressure to be used in that particular tire.
  • scbobscbob Posts: 167
    I have a 2007 Limited with 17" Michelin tires. Keep them at 32 PSI cold. No shimmy or other problems such as that with the tires. No problems with jitters or shimmy when starting in the cold. Parked the car outside two nights with temps in the low 30's. Just completed my third 600 mile road trip in it and it did fine, except for the "Buick" wallow. Hopefully, new shocks will help that when they come in.
  • I picked up a dealer demo Azera power white limited with the ultimate package the car had 6k on it and I paid 22k plus tax. Overall I am happy with the car but would not consider it the "best car I ever owned" due to a few strange omissions. The memory does not work with the remote which is the only car I ever owned set up this way. Plus the memory button on the door will not work till the key is turned on although the seat and power steering wheel both have juice with the key off; seems as if it could have had the memory function live all the time. Second even though the car had rain sensing wipers the headlights don't go on when they are activated. Considering most east coast states require lights on in the rain this again is a strange omission. Not sure if the dealer can re-program the computer to correct these things or not. The heated seats are only for the seat cushion not the back plus the seat could be padded better with more adjustments, same for the passenger seat. Last the ride is fine on a smooth road but does not do well on rough roads. I really do think the Azera is a good car and with a few little changes could be a much better one. If anyone knows how to improve the memory function please let me know
  • Let me first say that you got taken for your car. 6k and paid $22k umph! Secondly my heated seats heat the cushion and the back. My light come on when I drive into a dark area or they can stay on, it's how you adjust your headlights. READ THE BOOK!

I don't know about your memory issues, as I opted out on the extreme bells and whistles.

MsAzzy
  • Re: # 526
    :)

Can't help you with any of your comments save the one about your ride quality.

What is the build date of your Power White Pearl? :confuse:
    Reason for asking . . . You evidently do not know about the TSB on the shocks, I trust?

Love that color. Wish I had held out for it instead of picking another color off the lot!

Your profile is lacking. No location? No way to contact you directly.

You may contact me directly if you like . .

:)
    You know, headlights coming on when wipers are activated SHOULD be a standard feature on ALL vehicles. Currently, I don't know of any that have that combination. I guess it would only be an issue for vehicles that don't have daytime running lights. Personally, it makes sense because too many folks will turn their wipers on and not turn the headlights on.

As much as you don't want to say it's the best car you've every owned, it's hard to say it's not one of the best cars for under $30K. Even with the memory function not working with the remote. It's not an issue for me as I have the Limited w/Premium package. Being the main person that drives the car mostly (97%), I think I can deal with adjusting everything the other 3% of the time.

You may want to have your heated seats looked at, the ones on my Azera heat both the cushion and seat back as well.
  • Gee someone got out of the wrong side of the bed! I "did read the book" and there is no adjustment for the headlights with the wipers, that is why I posted the question. Second from what I read on other posts owners paid anywhere from 25-27k for the same model so I can deal with the 6k on the car. But then again if I bought one "without the bells and whistles" it would have been much cheaper. Last most other makes with heated seats control the back a cushion independently the Hyundai system will travel partly up the back but as stated there is no separate control for the back and seat. Hey thanks for your help!
  • I did see the TSB and the build date is 4/07 so it should be "after the fix". I really think it is a good car just a few oversights I need to geet used to. I love the color and it should do well in the Florida heat, thanks for your comments
    To be honest, it's hard to say if you got taken or not. The key is if you feel that you got a good deal, then that's all that should matter. I bought my '06 back in February of '06 and back then...my Limited w/Premium package was going for close to $28K. I got it for a tad bit over $26K. However, then...they were scarce and just hitting the market. Compared to what I'm seeing them go for now...I COULD feel like I got taken, but I don't feel I did based on the circumstances of WHEN I purchased.

You're right about the headlights and wipers, I don't know of any adjustment that can be made. I don't even think the computer can be programmed for that change.

Regarding the heated seats...I've seen cars set up both ways. Either the switch activates the seat heater and it heats both the cushion and back, as well as the ones that you can activate a switch to heat either one or the other. My '07 Outlook allows you to either heat just the seat cushion OR both the seat cushion and seat back. As far as how high up the heat goes on the back...i haven't seen any that go any higher than lower/mid back.
    The other thing you have to remember is the price point that this car is selling under. I mean...where else can you get all that you do get with the Azera for the price you paid? When you put it in that perspective, it's really pretty easy to overlook the few shortcomings that exist. Is it THE perfect car, no...not by far. Is it the perfect car for someone looking for everything it offers...I think so. The Azera allows people to have amenities, and taste a little bit of luxury, that most other car companies want you to pay $35K+ for.

I think the more you drive it and get used to it, the more you'll actually like the car. I've had mine now a few months short of 2 years, I have 41K miles on it and I love driving it more than I did when I first got it...and even then I was making excuses to hop in it and go somewhere! ;)

Congratulations on your purchase and I wish you many years of happy and trouble-free motoring!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Welcome to CarSpace - we're glad to have as a new member! :)

Feel free to post any and all of your questions right here. We have a lively bunch of Azera owners participating and I'm sure most will be very glad to try to help.

Congrats on your purchase - whether it was a "good" deal or not doesn't matter anymore, what matters is that you have a nice, shiny new ride that you should enjoy to its fullest. And we'll be happy to help you do just that in any way that we can!! :shades:
  • You are correct of course about the features the car has in relation to price, my thoughts are some changes such as lights on with wipers would be little or no cost possibly just a software change so I can not understand why it is not set up this way. All the way back in 2000 my Jeep GC limited had this feature. I'll talk to the dealer when it is due for service :)
    Well...you are talking about a car that came out without the availability of satellite radio or in-dash navigation either. There was a huge outcry concerning this and Hyundai has been addressing those matters. In '07...XM was available, in the upcoming '08...XM will continue and in-dash navigation is available as well. I think as consumers, we have to reach out to the company to let them know what we might expect to make the vehicle that much more appealing. One way to truly fix the issue would be to employ daytime running lights.
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    I think as consumers, we have to reach out to the company to let them know what we might expect to make the vehicle that much more appealing

Azera is a great car / value for the money, but Hyundai blew it in terms of marketing once the '06 Azera was launched. It really didn't improve in '07.

Your comment about "reaching out" should have been addressed by Hyundai with something called focus groups in the US. Instead, the Korean suits held a fire drill and made 4 versions of the same car for the Arabs, Canadians, Korean home and the US markets.

One can only imagine the antics and hoop jumping on the assembly line keeping that straight?
    Oh...no doubt, Hyundai fumbled big time when it came to marketing of the Azera. As a matter of fact, there was absolutely NONE. A few flickers on TV and that was it. In early '07...it got worse with absolutely NO marketing. Towards the 2nd half of '07...some marketing began to emerge, however...it seemed that Hyundai was more engrossed in it's Sonata and Tucson campaign. The Elantra got a little notice and the Santa Fe has enjoyed some as well. One compelling thing...the Tiburon gets NO marketing (that I'm aware of) and yet...it seems to do pretty well.

I do like the new campaign that Hyundai has going on now..."Think about it." It's inventive, well thought out and not smack you upside the head, look at me advertising.

You're absolutely right, they could have had some focus groups, but they didn't. So now, it's up to them to listen to the consumers that are buying their products and get it right. Considering the Azera is in it's 2nd year (getting ready for 3rd), I think they are doing good as far as addressing the issues that have been brought up. It seems as if the '08 model will address most of the issues that are complaints at this point (in-dash nav & better suspension). Those were really the two biggest issues that came out.

You're right...offering all those variations for different countries has got to be maddening.
  • Re: # 536

"One way to truly fix the issue would be to employ daytime running lights."

Isn't that feature mandatory and already installed in the Canadian models?
    Yes, it should be, but for those of us that aren't in Canada, or don't have a desire to cross the border to go buy a Canadian verison of the Azera...