Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Hyundai Azera Owners Experiences

cars10cars10 Member Posts: 7
I have 1,200 miles on my Azera. I just wanted to put a post on the forum to let people know about my experience with the car. I have had no problems with the car. The doors automatically lock when the car is put into gear. The outside mirrors do not tilt down when put in reverse like the XG350L did. I have not noticed the volume changing on the radio but the radio and sound system is excellent. The driver seat does not move back on exit but since I have the ultimate package the steering wheel automatically retracts so exit is easy. I like the rain sensing wipers. When the wipers are set on automatic, the wipers will change wiper speed based on the amount of rain it senses on the windshield. The automatic rain sensing wipers eliminate the need to: When you have a very light rain and putting the wipers on intermittent wipes a not wet enough wet windshield, so you need to manually put the wipers on every couple of minutes to clear the windshield. You will need to get a pass code for the immobilizer from the service department. The immobilizer will prevent the car from starting if someone tries to steal the car. The pass code will allow you to start the car in an emergency if the car was immobilized. The code is entered by turning the ignition key by a predetermined number of times to enter the numeric pass code. This pass code is unique to each Azera. Obviously, I have not tested this feature. The ride is smooth and the power is smooth and plentiful. So far, I am really happy with the car. The sales people have been very helpful. My only concern is that the service people have not been trained on the Azera, so when you ask about Azera features you get blank stares and shoot from the hip responses. I am hoping that the service issue gets resolved quickly. I wish there was a place where you can get service questions answered outside of the local dealership. I hope this information is helpful to you who are making a decision about buying Azera, and I would like others to post their experiences so we could all share our Azera experiences.

Comments

• floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    The dealer can easily set your seat to move about 3/4 back when you turn off key, along with the wheel tilting upward.
    It took dealer less than 10 minutes to reprogram this function.( no charge)
    At same time they will set auto door lock to your desired setting. Those options include, no lock, lock when ignition on, or when speed approaches 8 mph.
  • cars10cars10 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the response from floridabob1. I did pick up the information about the seat from the forum, but on my XG350L, the only problems I had where caused by the seat moving back on exit. On the XG350L, I had the air bag light come on twice caused by the routing of the wires under the seat snagging due to seat movement and a switch and the seat motor going bad. I do not have any problem on exit from the car because the steering wheel retracts so I did not pursue setting the seat moving back on exit. I know this would be a big deal with my service people at the dealer because of the lack of knowledge of the car. The same would be true if I went to the service people about the automatic door locks. Again, I like the doors locking when the car is put into gear so I did not pursue that function with the service department. There is a lack of knowledge of the car with the service department. Unfortunately, Hyundai did not require the service people to be up to snuff before they began to sell the car. The good thing is that I have not had any problems with the car. Service is certainly an area where you should ask questions before purchasing a car. There seems to be a disconnect between sales and service at my dealer. For example, I still need to resolve what the requirement is for the frequency of oil changes. The service manager just shoots from the hip, and said the oil needs to be changed every 3K miles or you void your warranty. I have no confidence that that really applies to the Azera because the users manual states oil should be changed every 7K miles. Even though I was aware of the lack of service knowledge, I took a chance and bought the car anyway, and I am hoping that they get trained on the Azera in the near future.
  • jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    Seems to be questions about programming...
    Door lock activation options;
    1. no lock
    2. lock when key inserted
    3. lock when put in gear
    4. lock at 8 mph
    EZ out options, activates when ignition is turned off
    1. steering wheel 'in and up'
    2. seat 3/4 back
    Tilt mirrors down?
    not sure if available or not, was on XG350L
    Immobilizer pass code?
    Why? immobilizer activates when key is removed and de-activates when key is inserted. What situation would require knowing the pass code sequence?

Service questions... www.hmaservice.com ... requires a sign in and password ... you do not need to be a dealer ... the Azera was not on the list, I selected Sonata and it worked
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    Mirrors do NOT tilt down as Hyundai advertised nad put in owners manual. They claim they omitted feature for technical reasons. In my opinion, if enough owners complain about this ommission they will come up with fix.
    The immobilizer locks out the ignition if the car has been tampered with(attempted break in). It will not run again unless the code is used. Even then it only operaters at 1/2 power until being reprogramed by dealer.
    Complaints shoud be registered at www.hmaservice.com
    They have a special team dealing only with Azera problems.
    They also admit that the dealer service depts. have a lot to learn about the new model.
    My local dealership has an incorrect computer version of the part catalogue.
  • cars10cars10 Member Posts: 7
    LIMP HOME MODE: After going the hmaservice.com, I found out that the dealer gave me the 6 digit pin code that the computer uses to learn the four digit pass code used by the user to limp home. In other words, I still do not have a pass code to get the car starter if the car was immobilized. I need to go to the service department and have them enter the a pass code that I want to use. This is another example of the service department not knowing the Azera.
  • jnd17jnd17 Member Posts: 62
    Hi All, after 17 weeks of waiting for my Black Limited Azera with Beige Interior I finally got it yesterday. First impressions is that I love the car. I am a detailing nut and just after getting it home I was giving it a quick detail and found a ding in the right rear quarter just over the wheel well. I am not a happy camper. I called the dealership and spoke with my salesman and I told him about the ding. I am now getting the BS that it was not like that when it left the dealership. After arguing I spoke with the Sales Manager and he has agreed to look at the car. I took it to my friends auto body shop just for some advice. He has suggested that maybe a Ding Doctor (repairs without repainting) can repair it if he can get at it from the back of the fender. But if the Ding Doctor can't fix it he also said that he would not have the dealership try and fix the ding and repaint. He feels that they would not paint the car properly. He said that to do it right the whole rear quarter and top of the doors to the windshield should be painted and cleared and he felt that they would not do that much of a repair. Time will tell. I am scheduled to pick up my registration in a few days and will see what happens at that time. :(
  • norsannorsan Member Posts: 1
    About 4 months ago my 8 year old 300M broke down during a trip so I decided it was time for a new car. I compiled a list of about a dozen canidates. The Azera was added almost as an afterthought because of the good reviews on this board. Not only was I very impressed by the Azera (low expectations?) but it became the benchmark in evaluating the others because of it's price. I finally picked the Azera over the Acura TL and Lincoln Zephyer and could not be happier. I just completed a 2200 mile trip from Florida to Ohio and back and averaged 26.8 mpg for the trip. (75% interstate @ 75-80 mph,25% suburban roads and streets) It's the most comfortable car I've ever owned and plenty of room for people and luggage. Is it the best car out there? Probably not. There are a lot of good choices. Is it the best value out there? For me the answer so far is yes.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Your first mistake was getting "Sales" involved in an issue that's really the purview of "Service". Your second mistake was getting all hot and bothered by what the moron told you. Just take your new car in and discuss the matter with the service manager. You're covered for these appearance blems for the first 12 mos./12,000 miles. Read your warranty supplement manual - it's the thin one that no one ever seems to bother opening - and take it along, with the page bookmarked, to show the service yahoo in case you get any static.
  • jnd17jnd17 Member Posts: 62
    Hi Ray, thank you for the reply. You are right I did deal with the wrong person concerning the ding. I will be taking the car in for the service manager to look at. My real concern is them fixing the ding. I had another New Car that this happened with and the repair was a nightmare. I am hoping that this is not going to be the case again. It's just upsetting after waiting so long (17 weeks) and now having to deal with this issue. Time will tell. Over all I love the car. Thanks again for the reply. JoeD
  • chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    When I purchased my Azera, the sunroof had some fit issues and there were a few other tweaks that needed to be made. I dealt with the top service guy and when I picked up the car, it was detailed and everything was perfect. Hyundai wants happy customers. Go to the top guy, not the numb**** behind the parts counter. Just my .02.
  • jim101jim101 Member Posts: 252
    Say what you may
    Say what you will
    We love our Azera
    and always will

Don't give me the
    if's, and's or or's
    Dont' compare apples to oranges
    or cars to the stars

We love our Azera
    and that's what we say-a
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    JMJK, I also have a Limited with over 100 miles on so far. No clunks, or thumps coming from the car. I have had it up over 80mph without any wobble in the steering.

In my experience, most dealers don't have the best tire/wheel balancing equipment, or they farm that work out to a nearby shop. Two possibilities: they may have balanced your wheel/tire combo, but you could have a wheel that is out of round. Even with alloy wheels, it happens. I have a Honda that I just bought a new (used) wheel for to replace one that wouldn't balance. Also, the tire could be defective. In the past, I had a car with performance import with Pirelli tires that I had back to the dealer three times because of a shake in the steering wheel at speed. Went to an independent tire shop and they determined that three of the tires had manufacturing defects; they were a Pirelli dealer and replaced them.....smooth steering and ride thereafter.

If your dealer won't handle the think and make the car rock solid at speed, is there another in your area that could take a look?
  • tinydog1tinydog1 Member Posts: 83
    My Azera Limited with 3500mi is exhibiting a slight vibration in the steering wheel while stopped w/AC on and in gear. You can also feel it ever so slightly on the floor. Anyone experiencing this? Also, my steering feels a little loose at high speed and seems to understeer quite a bit and the car seems to bounce too much when I encounter undulations in the road. Is this normal or should I get it checked? We have nicknamed ours Galloping Gurdy :P . Still loving it. Thanks
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    jmjk, you should take that unit to another dealer if you can. I have Limited Ultimate and my wheel doesn't shake at all. At least not up to the 110 MPH it's been to. at 3500 miles my only concern is the ever increasing gas mileage. It has gone from 19.8 to 20.5 over the last 1000 miles and I swear the gas guage hasn't moved since I filled it up 60 miles ago. Everyone should have such problems.
  • jmjkjmjk Member Posts: 55
    Mechanic80:

Just wanted to bring everyone up to date on the annoying "clunk" coming from the front end of my Azera. Since my earlier message I have lost a lug nut off of the passenger rear tire. And today I got underneath the car to see if I could identify any obvious looseness in the front end. While I did not find anything so far - I am not finished yet - I did find 4 nuts missing off of the plastic skid plates that are between the front and rear tires, perhaps Azera owners should check theirs too. The missing nuts do not present any danger, it's just another annoying episode in my quest to find that darn "clunk".

I was on I-10 today and the shake in the steering wheel is still there (at around 67 - 68 mph).

I am likely to take the car to another dealer.

Stay tuned . . . Thanks.

Your thoughts are always appreciated.
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    I came to this forum 'cause I have been debating with myself whether to replace my '95 Camry with and '07 Sonata or Azera.

Your experience is souring me on the Azera...
    Jack, don't let a few posts sour you ont he Azera. I've had ours for 2 months and we've had nothing amiss, everything is working well, the ride is smooth and silent, perfromance is great. As I posted, I think the problem with vibration could be with either a wheel that is out of round or a tire with a manufacturing defect. If you have a dealer that won't make progress, you have to find another.

The Azera is an awesome car that is a great value
  • texasazeratexasazera Member Posts: 10
    I am having the same problem. I am making a list for my dealer for my fist service. Have you asked your dealer about this?
  • dgxnavydgxnavy Member Posts: 10
    I just traded my 2006 Acura Tl (It was just too small) for the Azera. I picked it up last Friday and put about 200 miles on it over the weekend. I just love it, all the room I need, as quiet a ride as I have ever had. Haven't noticed any clunks or shimmies. My doors don't lock automatically, the mirrors don't tilt down while backing, not sure if the seat goes back upon exiting, because I keep it back all the time. It doesn't have Satellite Radio, or Hands Free Link for cell phone as the Acura had, but I can live with that because of all the other features the Azera has.

I think that the Azera is one of the best values on the Planet.

I hope that as time goes by and I have more experiences with the Hyundai dealerships I will still feel this way. If I am still satisfied then, I will stay with Hyundai.
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    Dont' be soured on the Azera just because of a few posts about problems. I had a wheel bearing failure on my 02 XG350 at under 3000 miles. I drove the car until it had 80 thousand miles on it and had no other problems. I traded it for a Azera Limited and 2500 miles in I have had no problems and love the car. If you go to any vehicle forum sight you are going to find problems reported with any and all cars. I have far fewer problems with my XG than I've had with my 99 Jeep Cherokee which has had two power window failures, a short in the wiring that took two days at the dealer to locate and a corroded evaporator coil in the air conditioning.
    The Hyundai warranty is far superior to the Jeeps. If you're seriously looking at an Azera don't let one or two problems make you decide otherwise. Look at the reliability reports on Jaguars, Cadillacs and other high end cars and you'll find that Hyudai puts more quality in for far less money. :)
    Thanks for all the assurances.

Guess I've been spoiled....I have never had one simple problem with my '95 Camry (except to get a new battery several years ago).

Probably wouldn't even think of getting a new car 'cept for the fact that the next one (if I keep it as long as my Camry) will probably be my last one....and I don't like the looks of the '07 Camrys...but the Azera looks fairly sharp to this old codger.
    Jack 47:

Don't get too sour yet. I called the regional customer service folks (Coppell, TX) and they promised me that they would take care of all my issues. When I hung up the phone I felt that the person I had talked to was genuine and I also felt that all of my issues will be resolved. I look forward to putting all this behind me.

JMJK
    Well (laugh) you got a live person on the other end as opposed to just a voice menu. That, in itself, is a plus.

Good luck with the repairs. And let us know how you make out.

BTW, I still have an open mind.
    Hyundai sent me a card with an attached gift coupon for $50 if I took a test drive with the Azera and had the dealer validate it.

Inasmuch as I intended to test drive it anyway the coupon was just an additive....unfortunately, I was really turned off by the car's interior....especially the styleless and bulbous dashboard.

The exterior style is great but, ugh, the dash... :cry:

BTW, I gunned the car several times over 65 (think the salesman was a little nervous as we were in a 40 MPH zone)and couldn't bring on any shimmy or "clunk" noises.

The Sonata SE seems to have a more acceptable (to me, that is) dashboard.

Just one man's opinion.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Anybody got any just-delivered Azera stories for us? We need to steer away from the mud we're encountering ...

;)
  • azera_06azera_06 Member Posts: 15
    I picked up my 2006 Azera limited edi., white powder pearl on Monday, August 28th 2006. I couldn't be happier, Hyundai Azera limited best kept secret in the American car sales market. Word will get out though ;)
  • usfarbuousfarbuo Member Posts: 13
    I've had nothing but Lincolns since 1976. Let me tell you this azera appears to be better built with much more options not to mention the better gas mileage. I'm averaging 20.3 after 2600 miles a mixture of mostly city with some highway driving. And the bonus is I can use regular gas in the azera compared to mid and upper grade in the lincolns. I'm saving 30 cents a gallon right there.
    I'm very pleased with the azera. I took a chance buying a hyundai (or so I thought) and it seems to have worked out.
    But how do you like the interior? Especially the dashboard?

There's a lot to like about the Azera but the cheap looking interior really turned me off.

Just my opinion.
    I really do like the interior. The dashboard is easy to read except for the clock in sunlight. It also (believe it or not) has more interior room front and back than my previous Lincoln Cont. The only thing the Lincoln had was a bit more comfortable seats. The Lincoln seats were more plush while the Azera is a little sporty. For the moneey the Azera can not be beat. I had some doubts about buying an azera but now I think I have done the right thing.
    Hope this helps.
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    Cheap looking? What car are you talking about? Certainly not the Azera. Sit in the car and look/feel the roof lining. It is done exceptionally well. The fit and finish of the interior materials is outstanding.

Here are my beefs with the interior: 1) reflection in windshield; 2) glare on clock in bright sun; 3) seats don't provide enough lateral support; 4) seats need ventilation and a/c; 5) less than intuitive climate control system (in particular, when in AUTO mode the lights should indicate what is currently working); 6) inadequate music controls on sterring wheel.

These are all minor compared with the value this car provides.
  • tibtuscanitibtuscani Member Posts: 46
    ">I really like the new AZERAS interior especially if you add a aftermarket navigation system

I dont know if you guys have seen the OVERSEAS VEERSION of hte interior but here it is comes standard with navigation:
  • obobobob Member Posts: 11
    Recently bought Powder White Limited. With less than 100 miles on the car I have already encountered two issues I have seen other owners discuss here on the forum.

I have what feels like a rough idle when the car gets up to operating temp. I can feel it through the steering wheel and hear it within the car when the car is at a stop in gear. Tachometer is showing 500 rpm which seems a little low. Can't feel anything when idle is 700 or above.

The other issue is light thumping sound as if I might have a wheel slightly out of ballance.

Both of these issues could be as simple as flashing the ECM and ballancing a tire. Time will tell. What seems evident is that a high percentage of Azera's are being delivered to customers with issues which should have been detected pre-delivery. I suspect that my selling dealer probably spent more time slapping on their nameplate decal & licence plate holder than servicing the car. Tires had 55psi

I like the car but am beginning to think I should have waited a year. Dealers/service departments don't seem to know much about these cars yet.
    According to the Azera shop manual, the idle speed spec. for these engines is:

N-range
    720 ± 100 rpm
    D-range
    650 ± 100 rpm
    (This is with or without the A/C compressor engaged.)

)) "Dealers/service departments don't seem to know much about these cars yet." ((

This is a lament all too common with too many Hyundai dealerships. I own an '03 Sonata and my selling dealership still doesn't seem to know much about this model, either. I've had to printout TSBs from HMAService in order to build a fire under the service manager to handle routine warranty work my car was entitled to. I know - the dealerships get the TSBs, too. But I get the feeling my dealer's service manager uses 'em to line his office parakeet's cage with.

(Note to self: must remember to take my Siamese cat along the next time I have occasion to visit my dealership's service department over a TSB campaign. "Lookie, Kho-Kho, snack time, boy!...")
    Years ago it use to be pretty much of an accepted fact that any new car dealership's service department had one master mechanic and six guys in training.

Guess all those master mechanics have now retired.

C'est la vie.
  • obobobob Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the idle speed spec. Do you happen to know if the idle speed is adjustable with common tools or if the ECM controls it?

I am going by the dashboard tachometer which seems to indicate 1000 at cold start, a step down to 750 a few seconds after cold start and a final drop to 500+ after about a minute. I think bumping it up to 700 at operating temp(in gear)will solve my issue.

My tire thump seems less pronounced today. Sometimes imports that sit at the port for periods of time can can develope flat spots that often work themselves out after being in use. Think I will wait a while and see what happens.
    farbuo, yes, the dash isn't the best combination of colors, but the information is clear and presented to run the car. I don't think it would be a decision point for purchase.

The seating surfaces, trim, etc. used throughout is very high quality. I think the Azera is an excellent value, with a few quibbles.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    2007 model year will have additional features.
  • zentraudzentraud Member Posts: 6
    Hello there. I too was one of those disappointed azera owners. I bought white pearl limited with ultimate package from a dealer in San Leandro in Bayarea. But the moment I drove off the lot, I too noticed that the tires were overinflated (over 40psi) and there was a clunking sound on the front right suspension. I took it back to that dealer for service but they all reported it's normal. I argued them back and said that something was not right. It was no use. Then I took one to a dealer in steven creeks ave, they too had no knowlege or idea how to fix it other than saying it's normal. But, just about to give up on the issue, I was informed by Chilliwack from the other azera forum to check out the one in Capitol Expressway. So i did and boy, what a difference a dealer can make. This dealer in capitol had an excellent service manager and an excellent mechanics. What a nice professional mechanic. His knowlege on this azera is truly outstanding and I have promised myself that I will not let anybody else touch my car for service. Now, I feel like I have a good reliable hyundai sercie around my area. You should be able to find one good reliable service center. They will make you a happy man out of a disgruntled man like myself.
    )) "Do you happen to know if the idle speed is adjustable with common tools or if the ECM controls it?" ((

I don't know what the procedure is. If I had to guess, I'd go with cold and hot idle speed being under the control of the engine control module (ECM)* which would require the use of the "Hi-Scan Pro" reader/programmer instrument used by dealership service people. If your idle speed is off, correcting to specification should be a warranty adjustment.

*Remember when carburetors had an idle-speed adjustment screw and any moron with a screwdriver could tweak it in - often without even removing the air cleaner? (True - the moron did have to figure out how to lift the hood...)
  • grifomangrifoman Member Posts: 1
    Jack,
    What color interior did you look at/ drive? The all-black interior looks a lot less "cheap" and actually really looks pretty sophisticated. The beige 2-tone looks relatively cheap because of the light beige hard plastic where the radio & A/C live...

As for the inverted/flipped sway bar, I think this could very easily be the problem though it is interesting to note that, in a supposedly automated parts delivery system, sway bars can end up in an installers hands upside down, with no tell-tale signs to warn the installer of a potential mistake.
    The beige 2-tone looks relatively cheap because of the light beige hard plastic where the radio & A/C live

Yes, that's the one I drove.

And I can't see spending >$25,000 and have to compromize on anything.

BTW, based on the picture in one of the above posts, the black does look much better.
    I have the gray two-tone interior and I think it looks very nice...especially when it is 100 degrees outside! :shades:
    Black leather in a parked, closed car on a 106 deg. day - what a thrilling combination for unwary behinds. (Put the 'taters an' greens on the table, Pa - the roast ham's juicy an' sizzlin'!)
    We don't get many 106 degrees here in the Boston area. But when it does get hot all I do is use my remote starter to cool the car down and it cools down fast with the a/c at high blast.
    We don't get many 106 degrees here in the Boston area

That's sweater weather in Phoenix. :)
    zentraud:

I too have a pearl white limited and have a chronic clunking problem with the right front suspension. The dealer has replaced the upper control arm thinking that would fix the problem. Drove it home and the clunk was still there! I now have an appointment with a Hyundai representative (I guess a Corporate guy) at another dealership. Interestingly, the Service Director works at both the dealership I bought the car from and the dealership I am taking the car too and I am not at all fond of him.

Congratulations to your service manager and mechanic in Capitol Expressway. Please tell me what they did to fix the clunk - it is driving me nuts.
    Hi jmjk,

I took mine in to the same dealership (I refered zentraud).
    I had the clunking issue. They said that it was a loose strut tower bolt and it was re-torqued. It seems to be better. Good luck to you.
  • rockybobrockybob Member Posts: 8
    Seriously, have the service manager check the anti-away bar. My Azera (limited, ultimate package) clunked from day one. At the first opportunity, ten excruciating days, I got it in and Jim, the service manager at Eastside Hyundai, Kirkland, WA fixed the problem. No hint of clunking, nothing since that day.

His report says "Customer says squeaks (I said "clunks") coming from sway bar area over bumps ... Inspect. Diagnosis. Reposition upside down sway bar to right side up. Recheck suspension and alignment (OK) .......Warranty 0.00"

Jim also told me that the only way they discovered the problem was to look at two side-by-side Azeras on the rack.
  • windycity7windycity7 Member Posts: 24
    anyone notice that the rear ventilation ducts don't blow much? it only works when the front controls are set with the arrow blowing on the body and not when it is set to blow on the body and the legs. even in auto mode, the front is blasting air but the rear vents have very little air flow. anyone know if this the design or if this can be modified or fixed? :(
    windycity, I think this behavior is common across most cars with rear ventilation. It is controlled/triggered by the front controls. If you have dual climate control, as in minivans and large SUVs, the systems are independent.

I am not aware of any sedans that have separate systems.