Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chevrolet Impala Transmission Problems

1111213141517»

Comments

• pup_99kpup_99k Posts: 3
    I only see two, is third to fourth as noticeable as the first two.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,470
    It can be subtle---how about the overdrive switch test?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• pup_99kpup_99k Posts: 3
    No switch on this one
  • melcolemelcole Posts: 2
    Hello all. Another Impala complaint. I have seen multiple posts about the issue I am having with my 2011 Sudan. I have owned the car for six months and have had it to the gm dealer four times. For the same problem. While driving down the road about every two to three thousand miles my car tells me to service stabilizer track, engine power is reduced. My car kills on me going down the road. The GM dealer has replaced both warrantied parts the throttle body and the gas peddle parts. They told me they have done all they can do to resolve the issue. I know these cars are known for this problem. It is out on the Bulletin. But I would think after having it serviced the problem would be resolved. Some one earlier mentioned a class action lawsuit. How many people are out thousands of dollars and stuck in loans with a car they can't drive because GM made bad parts that created a problem where there is no solution!
    The problem is fixable. The dealer just doesn't know how I suspect. This is not to say that the problem is EASY to track down. The Stabiltrak doesn't actually exist as a single system. There are many separate components that can activate this problem. Each one has to be checked.

• melcolemelcole Posts: 2
    So when theses parts come up on the Bulliten for being bad parts, simply replacing them doesn't salve the problem? IF the GM dealer doesn't know how to fix it and wants to start charging me for guessing who can I turn to? This car is a death trap.
    You need to find a better technician. A real pro can figure this out. I'm sure the bulletin suggestions fix some of the cars, but it's not any one thing causing the problem---and that's the problem. Stabiltrak isn't any one thing--it exists all over the car. It's a network.

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 4,960

You need to find a better technician. A real pro can figure this out. I'm sure the bulletin suggestions fix some of the cars, but it's not any one thing causing the problem---and that's the problem. Stabiltrak isn't any one thing--it exists all over the car. It's a network.

That's correct, the problem is for the last generation there has been constant pressure to not reward technicians for learning how to diagnose problems with the kinds of tools and routines that you have seen demonstrated in the other thread. While we were learning ever more complicated systems, tooling and routines our thanks was praise for toy tools like CarMD, google diagnostics etc. and that was on top of having to bear every other manor of disrespect imaginable. Today, techs that can make normal work of diagnosing the advanced robotics in today's cars are few and far between and even now there is still pressure to drive them(us) out of the service bays. I feel sorry for vehicle owners who can't get a problem like this solved efficiently but that's only going to get worse for them because we have to try and be successful and take the high road while we are being criticized for every time someone thinks they find an answer with Google, whether it is correct or not.

• I have an 08 impala LS 3.5 gas. And when I'm driving the rpm will drop slowly once I hit 2-3 gear(automatic) around 35-50 mph. If I let go of the gas and push it back down to speed up again it will speed up but shortly after, it starts to drop again...I replaced the fuel pump but its still dropping rpm when I gas it.... any ideas?
  • 2014 Impala LTZ 3.8 V6. Have experienced possible transmission issues. Driving along, slow down for traffic, then accelerate. engine bogs down, then popping noise, almost like the old engines with points. Had this the other day. Slowed for traffic, switched lanes and accelerated, almost stalled, popping, slow acceleration. This is an intermittent problem. Took car in for service this morning. Told them about what I experienced. Tech: This is normal. When you slow down the transmission fluid has to catch up to the valves. When you accelerate rapidly the fluid has to reverse and the transmission can't adjust that fast.

I didn't fall off the turnip wagon yesterday. I asked him why this is just starting at 28,750 miles. If what you said is true, it would have been going on since I bought the car new. No answer. So, what do you all think? Anyone else have this problem?
    Might be the TPS, but you'll have to pull it and check the values with a meter. Just a guess. The TPS is like a potentiometer of sorts (electro-mechanical transducer).

• Thanks. I may try that. I just don't think they even wanted to mess with it.Are the values on the TPS?
    They differ, but as you move the TPS the voltages should vary. Actual specs would have to be looked up.

• radtad67radtad67 Posts: 5
    I changed my filter and fluid yesterday on my 2004 3400 piece of [non-permissible content removed] impala. My magnet was covered in not shavings....but CHUNKS OF METAL!!!! I'm pissed. I can' keep buying a damn car every few years. I bought the car 6 years ago with 67,000. It know has 110,000. I don' drive much cause I'm disabled and the car is perfect for me to get in and out. This is [non-permissible content removed] the GM is just sitting there taking our money on their asses doing nothing about this. I bought this from a GM dealer. So it' been sold twice. I wish I could upload the picture of those chunks....everyone would [non-permissible content removed]!!!! I DID IT ...LOOK EVERYONE!!!!!
    Gee, what a mess. I can't quite make out what part(s) disintegrated though. Pretty catastrophic failure there.

110K is somewhat premature but it's not out of the question for an automatic to fail "in that range"--but that's the early end of the spectrum for most cars. You'd expect 150K out of it.

• radtad67radtad67 Posts: 5
    ATTENTION ALL IMPALA OWNERS...FIRST CALL GM AT 1-877-558-8352 TO START A CASE NUMBER AND GET AN APPOINTMENT WITH A GM TECHNICIAN CAUSE SMALL GARAGE PEOPLE DON'T KNOW NOTHING. THEN CALL NHTSA 240-247-0015 TO START A CASE WITH THEM. YOU CAN DO ONE AFTER ANOTHER. JUST EXPLAIN TO TO BOTH IN DETAIL WHAT HAPPENED. TRY TO REMEMBER DATES. YES DATES. AND DO NOT LEAVE THE VEHICLES SIDE WHILE IT'S BEING CHECKED. MY LOCAL GARAGE WON'T LET ME BE WITH THE CAR. AND I USE TO WORK THERE. WONDER WHY GM BLANKET. TAKE VIDEOS OR PICTURES OF ANYTHING THAT WILL HELP YOUR CASE.
  • Fulldraw66Fulldraw66 IowaPosts: 1
    2001 impala. Blew all the tranny fluid out. Was told the pressure valve was plugged. All I find is pressure control solenoid. Anybody know what this is and ever heard of it
    Usually blowing out fluid is an overheat problem. So who told you this?