Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager Starting & Stalling Problems

15678911»

Comments

• orc96orc96 Member Posts: 2
    My van has always ran great. I guess im lucky. Aa few weeks ago I noticed there was a slight hesitation thenall of a sudden it started to almost die at lights would studder or hesitate. I replaced fuel filter seem to help somebut still have miss in it.
    I then changed cap and rotor and plugs. I took it to parts store ran test I had no engine light come on and it said knock sensor was only code.i was a it was running alittle funny but was still driveable. The next day I stopped and put gss in and drove 200 feet and it died in intersection it always starts right up. Made it up street to friends house and parked sence I had done every thing else I thought it was fuel pump.cause when it was running fuff where I parked my friend got out a baseball bat and hit the gas tank it seemed to run better . I shut it off and restarted it it ran bad repeated the baseball bat test it seem to smothe out. So I pulled the tank out and changed fuel pump.it seems to run fine for a few minutes as soon as I left to drive home it started not started missing again and stuttering.made it back to friends house and park itthat was for the night Monday morning I took it to the dealerand they said that that alpha code or something said it was running rich. I do have aexhsust leak where the back manifold goes in to that flex line over trany. They want to charge me 8oo to fix. Thats before they try something else.they couldnt tell me what was the problem. Said maybe o2 or Maf but didnt know for shure. I dont wsnt to give them the ok to just start throwing parts at it hoping some thing will work any help would be appreciated.
  • jwpinesjwpines Member Posts: 2

We have a 1996 Nissan Quest - but only 72000 miles (we bought it from our daughters' 90 year old piano teacher who only used it for camping trips with 45K miles 3 years ago) I have an intermittent stalling problem. Only at low speed, sometimes going up hill or into a turn, but it's also happened going straight on, I get a compete loss of power. Still have steering, (not power) so I wrestle the beast over, and it restarts right away. No check engine light. This has happened about 6 times. Not low gas level, usually 1/2 + tank.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Any codes?

• DanielFODanielFO Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, i hppe someone still here, i read all about the quest problems looking for my Quest´s problem and i dindt find it, i hope someone can help me.

On the morning the Quest whne i start runs really poor, feels like some cylinder doesnt working, and smell a lot of gas, and for a few secods i can look a blue smoke and fuel odor from the exaust.

But after 15 minutes runs perfectly whitout a problem, sometimes showme the knock Sensor code.
    and some times a random misfire.

I use the lucas oil injector cleaner and i feld some improve in the cold starts. sometime only take like 5 minutes to run smootly, but if i forget to use the injecto cleaner, take a lot more time to run smooth, this onlu happends on the mornings, or when a left the van stoped for at least 9 hours.

I will try to check the PCV valve.

Thank You.