Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Future Collectibles--Make Your Prediction

1151617181921»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    They are rare and will probably continue to go up modestly in value. Being a sedan and not terribly attractive, they will have a small following, and probably people not willing to spend lots of money on them (people like me!) I wouldn't mind having one if it were all fixed up and ready to go.
  • exoticarexoticar Posts: 13
    Here's my two cents (presuming we're listing real world cars and not the likes of F50's and McLaren's F1). Although there are other candidates, these listed below haven't been mentioned (or missed it). I also believe that certain choices vary from region to region. Therefore just as I don't see a LeBaron convertible becoming a "classic" in North America, one could say otherwise in Europe. So my choice reflect a North American point of interest. I'm also ommiting the obvious choices as Viper's and Z06's and the likes and the cars that already have have their "status" as Triumph's (pre TR7's), XKE's, Cobra's, MG's, etc....

Let's say that I'm starting mostly with post 80's cars.

Alfa Romeo Milano Verde
    Alfa Romeo Spider's
    Audi Quatro Coupe (AWD 80's)
    BMW (probably all M's and convertible cars)
    Innocenti Turbo DeTomasso (1984/85) (owned one)
    Fiat (any Abarth)
    Jaguar (XJS V12's and convertibles)
    Renault Super 5 Turbo (mid engine)
    Subaru (SVX and any WRX's model)

AS for some of the other choices that have been listed prior, I've seldom see any front wheel drive vehicule becoming "classics" (goodbye Allanté) unless they have an "edge" of some sort such as "cute" (Mini's) or hold on some other degree of desirability (i. e. enginering). For those reasons I don't see the CRX's, NXS's, S2000's, modern MB (except the AMG's) and quite a few others ever becoming "collectibles" or "Classics" in the true sense of the spirit.

P.S. haven't finished reading all posts at time of this writing (down to 80's) but will read all :-)
    I'd agree with all those as "serious collectibles" (not ever, ever "classics") except the Milano Verde and the Subarus. They are going to be lawn ornaments in a future life, I fear.

The reason I think this is that the Milanos have a pretty bad rep and so very few advocates to save and collect them. Even myself, an Alfa enthusiast, am very shy of Milanos.

The Subarus' future doesn't look good. First off, no Subaru has ever been collectible so far, and they've had 15 years to try. The SVX is already pretty dead in the water, with maybe 12 people in the world who want one (okay, a "minor" collectible then--lol!) and the WRX is just going to be a nice used car. Too many of them, not very attractive, and once the new and improved WRX comes out (which it will, you know the Japanese), the older ones will just be used cars. Look at the first BMW Z3s with the 1.9 engine, and the early Boxsters. They are already being shunned because the new models outshine them.

But you take an E-Type Jag, for instance. The earlier cars were more fun and exciting than the "improved" ones, so the earlier ones are more collectible.

I think that in predicting collectibility, the "first impression" a car makes is very, very important. The Milano and the SVX were sort of flops. That's not a good start.

Your other cars on the list were very popular when new, so I gave them a better chance.
    Audi Quattro Coupe is already much sought after. Alfa Spyders are in the dirt right now but someday people will want them. I can see their prices starting to creep up. Geez, Louise, $6000 for a pretty red Italian roadster---gimme a break, world!
  • carnut4carnut4 Posts: 574
    I wanted to ask you what you think of the new Thunderbirds. I saw one recently in a parking lot, and my opinion is mixed. While I like to see something different, compared to all the bland new "plasticars" out there, I have trouble with the price of this new Bird. And, I've heard some "instant classic" talk about this car already-so, what do you think? Will it be in demand, and increasing in value in the near future?
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I think at its list price it's OK (what, $35-40k)?
    If the dealers are still marking them up ten grand, all I can think about is how much I'd regret buying one at that price, only to see someone buying a new one a year later at list or lower.
    Unless I'm not getting out enough, I don't recall seeing car lovers whipped into a fever pitch, prying the doors off Ford dealerships and begging to just have a look at the new T-Bird.

So with a luke-warm start and nothing much under the hood, what we have left is the styling, which I personally rather like.

I'd say the new T-Bird is destined to be a pleasant curiosity, and being an open car, will always have some value. But without prestige and performance it's chances to be a classic are pretty slim indeed. Of what possible serious interest could this car be to future collectors? How does it stand out from the crowd by a wide margin? I just don't see it.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,389
    (I'd be interested in getting one when used ones are available--at used car, not "collectible" prices).

What it isn't, that the original was is an icon of it's era (we won't see a young Suzanne Somers driving one in American Grafitti VI).

I'm probably stating the obvious

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• exoticarexoticar Posts: 13
    Seems the new T-Bird is destined to a less grandiose faith as it's predecessors ... basically for the same reasons ...

They've got a nice commercial running on TV where it's being challenged by a Lotus Esprit .. however a Civic would probably also get away with that challenge....

When in the market for one of those types of "used" cars I'll likely look elsewhere .. plenty of better choices out there ... on more than one level ... however .. to some .. beauty is in the eye of the beholder .. and on that account alone .. they're not too bad outside.
This discussion has been closed.