Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Lanos

pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
Here is the new place to discuss the Daewoo Lanos.

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas

Host
Hatchbacks Message Board

Comments

• jkotjkot Member Posts: 6
    Just a note for those interested in purchasing a Lanos.

A few weeks back I purchased a New 2001 Lanos Sport (Just like the one on the post above). I paid $12,032.00 including the Destination charge and the "Optional" custom floor mats. ($13,500.00 sticker with these items). Several dealers said there was no discounts off the $13,500.00 stickers price. They said it is a low priced car with no margin for discount. However I did some research and invoice on this car is $11,400 + $430.00 destination charge + 53.00 for the Floor mats (dealer cost) + $200.00 for advertising fee's. That's $12,083.00 as true Dealer cost.

I chose the car for it's standard features plus I liked it's "sporty" appeal. I looked at ALL the comperable models. (Toyota Echo, Mitsubishi Mirage, Honda Civic, Ford Focus, Hyundai, etc..)No one, offered similar features for a price close to Daewoo. Comparable models in other brands with the same features were SEVERAL thousand more. ( if they even offered them) Some of the Standard features on the sport are...

Power windows
    Premium Stereo (CD and Cassette player)
    Intermittent Wipers including Rear wiper
    Power door lock
    "Leather seats" (yeah, That right leather!)
    Leather wrapped steering wheel
    Air Condition
    Power passenger side Mirror
    Driver and passenger air bags

Daewoo, not being real well known, I was very hesitant before making my final decision. I read customer feedback on every "board" like this one before making my purchase. Overall, most if not all Daewoo owners reported Great feedback.

Now that I have bought my Lanos, I can report that I made the right choice. This is a great car. Daewoo has the potential to become a contender in the US auto market. The initial quality is way better than KIA for the same money, and styling, performance and handling is better than Hyundai. However, this car doesn't deserve to be in the same catagory as Kia or Hyundai. They should be compared with other "imports" and not with just the "Korean" manufacturers.

I would have no problems recomending a Daewoo to anyone. My advice is take one for a test drive. You will be pleasantly supprised.
  • richardirichardi Member Posts: 4
    Hi all:

I am shopping around for a new car and fell in love with the Daewoo Lanos Hatchback. It really fits my personality-trust me. However, I live in Burlington, Vermont and have yet to see anyone driving a Daewoo. Does anyone know if there is a Daewoo dealership in Vermont? I know that this car is for me. Merci, Ricardo
    Not sure if there is a dealer in Vermont, but you can do a search on their website for a dealer in your area.

http://www.deawoous.com

Good luck. You'll love the car.
  • mjmmjm Member Posts: 2
    Hey Richardi, the Goss Dodge dealer on Shelburne Road is a Daewoo dealer. A good friend is in the process of picking up one from Earth Cars.
    Thanks for the information on the Daewoo Hatch back in Vermont!! I went out to Gauss Dealership in Burlington a couple of weeks ago after they closed on Sunday. I had a chance to really get a good look at he Daewoo-taking notes etc. After leaving the Gauss, I felt a sense of real excitement about this car. I will test drive the Lands in a couple of weeks after the weather has settled down some (meaning no more snow).

I do have two questions please. My colleagues keep telling me that the Daewoo will not be good for the type of snow that we get here in Vermont. Does in anyone have experience driving a Daewoo in snowy or very cold conditions? Also does the car have front or rear wheel drive? Merci, Ricardo
    Hi all: I am not sure what happened. But Gauss in my last posting should read Goss and Lands should read Lanos. Merci, Ricardo
  • fax1fax1 Member Posts: 11
    Hey man, the wife and I (newlyweds) own a 2000 celica, we decided we needed a 2nd car, now we live in WV granted the snow isn't as common here, but we did get alot of snow, we purchased a 2000 lanos S in feb of 2001, we got a great deal, just under 7,500 on it, because it was already a year old, and i have to say i was VERY VERY impressed with the car in the snow, the one thing that i would change about my Lanos however, is the size of the cupholders!!! they will hold a soda can just right, but don't get anything larger than a medium when you are in the drive through at mc-d's...but we are trading the celica in for the larger model, so we will be the proud owners of 2 new daewoos, they are great.
  • johnnycakesjohnnycakes Member Posts: 1
    How is this car for tall drivers? Mostly I am interested in whether there is enough head room since I like sitting pretty close to the steering wheel anyway.

So, how's the headroom on this car?
  • premiumjamspremiumjams Member Posts: 2
  • premiumjamspremiumjams Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Lanos base model/standard version (not a sport model) 2 days ago- I'm 6'3" tall, and it has plenty of headroom for me...I have a bad neck, so believe me, I'd tell you if it didn't. I wish it had a few inches more width in the floor board, but the seat is very comfortable. I got it for a great price and I'm very pleased with the quality of the vehicle. The steering is exceptional, and was what I noticed most about it on my initial test drive.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    I have created a board where people can discuss/compare my car (the Toyota Echo) versus any other car they want. Just wanted you to know that I am in the process of posting a comparison of my car versus the Daewoo Lanos S hatchback.

Would love to have an actual owner of this particular model join in.

The title of the discussion is Toyota Echo vs. ??? and can be found in the Sedan versus Sedan comparison section of townhall.
  • zzonkzzonk Member Posts: 6
    I bought my 5-speed 2000 Daewoo Lanos hatchback with a/c last September. The car now has 17,700 miles and will be going in for its 18K tune-up later this month. I've tried to keep this group informed about my experience with my Lanos since I bought it.

In general, the car is still running very well. I have not had any problems with it at all. After its fourth oil change (at about 12,000 miles), I noticed the gas mileage jumped up considerably from about 28mpg to 33mpg. I've gotten as much as 35mpg when I drive at about 65 or so. I believe it's possible to drive more than 400 miles on one tank of gas, but I don't want to take that chance.

Every time I have taken my car back to the dealer for its routine maintenance, I have not had any problems with customer service whatsoever.

Here are some of my observations:

1. The fuel gauge can be a little misleading because the needle may look like it's barely above empty, but you may really have about four gallons of gas left. The low fuel indicator light DOES come on when you're under 2 gallons though. It's an orange light (gas pump symbol) that appears on the upper left/center of the dashboard.

2. The engine power is reduced CONSIDERABLY when you have the a/c on. This is perhaps the only major gripe I have with my Lanos. I live in South Carolina, and the heat and humidity are OPPRESSIVE. But the car is MUCH weaker and MUCH more sluggish when the air is on.

3. I sometimes have a very difficult time shifting from 1st to 2nd. I also experience difficulty sometimes shifting into reverse. I don't know if this is a regular linkage problem that plagues all manual transmissions, but it has caused me to strip my gears from time to time. I'm going to have that examined when I get my car serviced later this month.

In general, I still like my Lanos very much. It's a good car for anyone who is just starting out. I'm 24 with no wife and no kids, so legroom in the backseat is a nonissue. (I'm 6 feet tall and got in the backseat and found I couldn't even put the driver's seat back all the way because it bumped into my legs.)

However, I'm already thinking about my next vehicle. I think I may get a VW Golf with the turbo diesel engine. It actually has a smaller cabin than the Lanos, but it offers A LOT more features, such as cruise control and a tachometer. It's also much more powerful.

I still enthusiastically recommend the Lanos to anybody who is just getting started. If you're single or married or a student and have no kids, this is a good car. It's cheap to buy, cheap to insure, and a good bargain for your money.
  • blackmr2blackmr2 Member Posts: 3
    Hello;
    First time here, so forgive me if i repeat subjects or comments.
    I was looking at Daewoo's website and KBB.com and the Lanos seems to have a sunroof. However, this option does not appear anywhere on Daewoo's literature. Are they just ommiting it? probably not... So, why does the car on the picture have one? anybody?

Also, the alloy wheels seem nice -small, but nice. Are they white 5-spokes? That's how they appear to be on my computer screen at least.

Last question, for now :) I know this is not the type of car, but does anyone know of any existing aftermarket upgrades to extract a few more much needed horses?

Thank you all for your comments!!
  • ms_joannems_joanne Member Posts: 69
    I heard GM was buying them, too. What's the real deal? What about warranty? There is still one open near me...all the others closed. I was really surprised to see them still in business. Any thoughts?
    Daewoo is bankrupt and there are negotiations going on for the company to be sold to GM.

Up until yesterday, GM had not publicly commented on the negotiations. Although, GM did not make much of a comment, in my opinion, yesterday. The person quoted basically said that the talks were sensitive and GM was still looking at what kind of future Daewoo had if GM bought them.

The dealerships closing may not be directly attributable to the parent company's troubles.

Given all the uncertainty, I think it would be prudent to wait to purchase any Daewoo product.

For a thriving discussion on this topic, click on News and Views at the Town hall main board and look for the thread entitled Daewoo bankruptcy.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Daewoo hasn't done much of anything to the website since they created it back in 99. The 99 Lanos hatchback and the 99-00 sedan did indeed offer a power sunroof, so that is where the picture is coming from. The 01 Lanos no longer offers the sunroof, at least not in the US. The 5-spoke alloys are painted silver, not white. Hope that helps!
    I do recall sunroofs being an option back then, but i think it is interesting that the picture of the Lanos Sport has one though... they didn't have Lanos Sport back in 99 right? maybe it is a picture from non-US market 01 Lanos Sport.

How about aftermarket mods? any info?

thanks again.
  • fax1fax1 Member Posts: 11
    has anyone else had a problem with a leaky ac unit..it keeps the passanger side of the car soaked..not to mention the hedious odor courtesy of the water and heat..however..i still praise the 4dr lanos..it is very roomy..and has more than enough power..it may not go 0-60 in 5.2 but it handles well at speeds in excess of 100mph...
    It sounds like a drain hose is clogged in some way. What does your dealer say?
    Either the drain hose for the evaporator has been dislodged and is thus dropping water directly into the interior or it is blocked and the unit has filled up with water and is overflowing into the interior. Tha latter is worse because it can cause the evaporator to rust and eventually form a freon leak. Get it taken are of! It's a real simple fix.
  • getjesusnowgetjesusnow Member Posts: 26
    I drive a 1999 Daewoo Lanos S hatchback with automatic. I posted about 3 or 4 reports in the old forum...here's the current stats:
    just under 24K miles, good car overall...here's the plagues:

car has its 2nd set of brake rotors and 2nd set of brake pads (warped rotors & noisy pads)

engine control computer idle speed needed to be reset (software glitch)

car has its 2nd muffler (internal rustout)

and the latest...left wheel bearing was worn out (loud noise when rolling) and the right one showed signs of wearing out quickly

all repairs done under warranty without any quibbling
    It sounds like a lot of work for a car with only 24K. It is good that it is still under warranty and there's no cost (other than time) to you, but once that is up seems as if your bill will be quite high... again, considering the low mileage.
  • cecile_dazececile_daze Member Posts: 7
    Hi-

Wondering what anyone thinks of these hatch backs. New, used, or what have you. To tell you the truth I have been researching vehicles now for... probably the better half of 3 months and keep changing my mind about what I want. (for instance I was just looking at a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire last weekend) but I started out "lusting" for a Kia Lanos Sport. I've ranged from Jeep Wrangler to Kia Rio to Mitsub. Eclipse to Saturn and I just can't seem to settle.

Now I'm steering back toward a Spectra or a Lanos. Who knows what I'll end up choosing. I keep telling myself to ditch my 1990 pick up before Winter hits...but money is tight. So while I keep searching, I must find more insight and answers.

(also posted this on the Spectra site)
  • hbrow00hbrow00 Member Posts: 31
    source:

http://www.autonewseurope.com/2001frankfurt/daewoo910.htm

==

The future may still be uncertain back in South Korea, but Daewoo keeps coming up with new ideas. Frankfurt will showcase the troubled carmaker's new supermini and lower-medium segment models.

The Kalos is an all-new supermini contender, fitting into the Daewoo lineup between the Matiz and Lanos. The Kalos model is due in the third quarter 2002.

==

At one time on this board or the Lanos sedan baord (now archived), there was a discussion of the Kalos concept model and whether it was a Matiz or Lanos replacement. It sure looked like a Matiz, but apparently it will slot in between both models.

H.

• lanosdudelanosdude Member Posts: 5
    Hello to everyone:

I purchased my Lanos Sport in December. While I've owned many nice cars in the past, I have to say that for the money this is one tough car to beat. Most of my driving is on city roads that aren't in the best shape. I find the ride to be quite smooth for a small car and the seats are fantastic. The car comes with just about all the options anyone could want. I did e-mail customer service at Daewoo to ask them why we can't get all of the same features of the Europeon model which includes a tachometer, fog lights, tilt steering and sunroof. They answered me the next day and said that they would forward this info to the appropriate department for consideration. Now that GM is officially taking them over, we might see those options on the American versions in the future. The car handles very good but I think it could be improved even more with better tires than what comes on it. The car is almost too cute for words and I get plenty of looks and smiles from other people. I've read several test reports from car magazines and they all complained about the automatic transmission not shifting smoothly. Mine shifts smooth as silk so I don't know what their talking about. The premium sound system is good although it could use some better quality speakers that could take advantage of the 140 watts of power. I would highly recommend this car to anyone that doesn't have the worries of a big family. I have spoken to many Daewoo owners and the vast majority seem to really like them. Daewoo builds heavy construction and farm equipment so they should know something about how to build a good car. I owned a 2000 Focus ZX3 which has been raved about in most of the car journals. It was a piece of junk. It had problems that the dealership had no answers on how to fix so I got rid of it in a hurry. No matter what problems may arise with this car, it will be nothing compared to what was wrong with the Focus.
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    If i rememeber right the Daewoo cars sold here are really the last gen nissan cars . didn't they but the rights to it and just reworked the bodys ? I think i read it in car a driver in 97 or 98 .
    There is no relation between Nissan and Daewoo. Daewoo has connections to GM, but thats it. Examples: All of their engines are built by Holden, GM's Australian subsidiary. The Nubira uses a GM auto tranny which is also used in the Cavalier. The Lanos is simply a redesigned version of the late 80s Pontiac Lemans.
  • dabossdaboss Member Posts: 4
    I need a new car for my son. I am being offered a New leftover 2001 Daewoo Lanos hatchback with Automatic and Air for around $8,000. The price is tempting but Edmunds Auto calls it a "LAMOS" and most reviews are not to favorable. Does anyone here really own a Lanos and would you recommend buying one? I need a quick answer cause I will make up my mind in the next couple of days.
    If you can get that car for that price, I say go for it! I don't own one but have driven one. The Lanos isn't the quietest or most refined car around and has some really cheap looking interior plastics (thus the so so reviews), but it gets the job done as basic reliable transportation that looks nice too. It has been praised for its good handling and good brakes. It is pretty much impossible to get a brand new car for 8k with AC and auto. The car is covered for the next 3 years bumper to bumper and 5 years on the powertrain. What more could you ask for? Your only other choice is to take a gamble on a used car. I would rather take a chance on a new car with a warranty then a used one that may or may not be a good car. Remember, the engine is a GM design and is built by Holden, a GM Australian company, so it should be a reliable engine. I'm sorry to say you won't find much info about the Lanos here as it is rarely visited, but you can find other very happy Daewoo owners in the Nubira and Leganza sedan forums. They could at least give you some insight on longer term reliabilty. Good luck! Let us know here whether you get the car and what your first impressions are.
  • kris29kris29 Member Posts: 1
    How could anyone have ever said this is a good car? I will fight to the end to prove how wrong they are. Never buy such a cheap crapy car. But yes Kia is worse just ask tow truck drivers because if you buy a Deawoo or a Kia you will meet alot of them.
    "How could anyone have ever said this is a good car? "

I have a 2001 Lanos Sport. I looked at ALL the other options. All the American, German, Korean, and Japan offerings. None, and I mean NONE had as good an offering for the money. I still have not read or heard of ANY major problems with a Daewoo car. In fact most owners of Daewoos rave about them. I would have to agree, I have owned my Daewoo for 1 year now and can honestly say that It is a GREAT car for the money. I have not had a single problem or warranty issue. I was a die hard GM owner, but when I needed a new car, I looked at all the manufacturers. Beleive it or not, after evaluating features, price, style, warranty, Daewoo had the best offering for me.
    Hi all,

I have now had my Lanos Sport for a few months and I like it more everytime I drive it. I usually exceed the manufacturers estimated fuel mileage figure. I have had no problems yet. The car performs flawlessly although I'm still considering changing to a performance tire instead of the touring radials that come with it. While this car is no rocket, I can hold my own in both rush hour traffic and freeway driving. The automatic continues to shift smoothly (unlike what some magazine reviews have said) and the seats are sooooooo comfortable. This is a great little car and certainly the best sub-compact I've ever owned. I thought that the Toyota Echo was the best small car currently available but I now think the Lanos is just as good.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for your Daewoo Lanos updates. Glad to hear that things are going well for both of you.

Gee, if I see more of you happy campers around here..., we're going to have to start up a Daewoo Owners Club and link this discussion to it. Let me know if anyone's interested in the idea. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • carlrjrcarlrjr Member Posts: 35
    Bring it on, Revka, I'd check the Daewoo owner's club religiously. I'm quite pleased with my Daewoo Nubira.
    Yes, good idea. Please create the club.
    to our Town Hall Owner's Club host (Karen). Thanks for the feedback. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Good new everyone! Karen will be putting together a Town Hall Daewoo Owner's Club soon; hopefully by the end of this week. In addition, she'll be linking up all our ongoing Daewoo discussions to this new area. So watch for announcements in all our Daewoo discussions. Also, feel free to spread the word to any Daewoo owners you may know.

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I'm here to announce the new Daewoo Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Hatchbacks.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • peterblaisepeterblaise Member Posts: 2
    Have you been inside the Daewoo Lanos 1600 Twin Cam when the variable intake manifold switches from the long normal path at low rpm to the short path at high rmp?

It feels like a turbo coming on line!

Where other econoboxes peak out and have nothing left, this car just seems to keep on going and going - very safe for passing on the highway!

And that cute Italian styling, English and German engineering, great Korean computerized and roboticized build quality, small to park in-city, tall enough to feel visible on the road, real headroom in the read, and wow, that extra power at the top end when you floor it is just the safest feeling for me!

Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/daewoolanos to discuss more about the car!

News about the Kalos at

Cars.com Geneva Auto Show

(scroll to bottom of link) Excerpt:

2003 Daewoo Kalos

. . .

For markets accustomed to the Daewoo Lanos, including the United States, the Kalos is meant to replace it. . . . In markets that carry the hot-selling Daewoo Matiz super-mini, the Kalos will eventually serve as its replacement.

On the world stage, the three-door or five-door Kalos layout is meant to compete against the Peugeot 206, Ford Fiesta and Volkswage Polo, among others. Two engines — a 1.2-liter and a 1.4-liter — are available, while performance specifications have not yet been released.

For a company that’s in a real financial and organizational mess, Daewoo certainly keeps cranking out nice designs.

H.

Hello to all:

It has been about two months since my last posting so I thought I'd give an update on my ownership experience with my Daewoo Lanos Sport. To date I have had no problems with anything in, on or under the car. Needless to say I'm very happy with this vehicle. The gas mileage (while not great for a compact) always meets or slightly exceeds the manufacturers estimate. The car performs equally well whether driving around town or on the freeway. Living in South Florida means putting up with occasionally strong thunderstorms. The car is totally stable even in gusty winds and heavy downpours. The most annoying feature about living here is the constant road expansions which makes for some rough road surfaces during construction. The car rides well even under these conditions and has not developed any squeaks or rattles yet (I try to avoid these rough surfaces whenever possible). I had mentioned in a previous post that the only real disappointment was the audio systems speakers. The wide range of equalizer settings allows for me to compensate most of the time but some selections still sound a little "tinny" with a lack of bass response. I may eventually replace the front speakers. The rear speakers are much better sounding than the ones in the door panels. I definitely get lots of attention when I'm driving around. The car has generated a positive response from almost everyone that sees it. I believe the Lanos is in the final year of production so if anyone is considering this car don't wait too long. It's scheduled replacement (the Kalos) is not as cute in my estimation. That's all for now.

Lanosdude
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Daewoo Motor forecasts 3,500/mth sales of new model

Reuters / May 02, 2002

SEOUL - Daewoo Motor expects to sell more than 3,500 of its new Kalos compact per month in South Korea, the company's president said at the car's launch in Seoul on Thursday.

Daewoo Motor President Lee Young-kook told reporters the Kalos would go on sale in Europe in the latter half of 2002 and in the United States in 2003.

(Hrm, that link no longer is active. Try this one:)

New car, Polish plan boosts Daewoo Motor revamp

"The Kalos would go on sale in Europe in the latter half of 2002 and in the United States in 2003, Daewoo said."

"The joint venture GM agreed to set up with Daewoo's creditors on Tuesday will handle sales of the new Kalos compact passenger car in Europe and probably the United States" said the spokesman.
    Daewoo Korea no longer lists the Lanos in their showroom. Replaced by the Kalos in the home market.

I'll be posting Kalos information in the Edmunds's Townhall forum Daewoo Owners: Future Models.

H.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    An Ohio newspaper journalist is looking for Daewoo owners in Ohio. If you fit the bill and care to share your story, please send your contact information to Sheryl Seagren at sseagren@edmunds.com asap, no later than Wednesday, May 22. Thanks as always!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jeepdaewoofanjeepdaewoofan Member Posts: 1
    I cant decide between Jeep wrangler or Daewoo but i think jeep might me to much for my budget and daewoo might not be able to do what i want in idaho any suggestions??? email me at Andyman0911@wmconnect.com
  • hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    Andy: Living in Idaho you probably know a lot about horses. The Daewoo being the same as a dead horse why in the world would you want to buy one. Maby they are giving them away now (they may have to LL).Also I don't understand why you would even compare the two vehicles, Jeep vs Daewoo, as they certainly are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Good luck. By the way, do they even HAVE any Daewoo dealerships in Idaho ?

Good luck,
    hud :):)
  • rattlecagerattlecage Member Posts: 32
    Rented a 2000 Lanos today, since my Mitsibishi was in the shop. handling was twitchy, felt like one front wheel grabbed at one light making the car lurch to one side. Most small cars at least handle good, this one couldnt even manage that.

engine was noisy and the tones it put out were ugly. Then on the way home, the Engine light came on. Im honestly wondering if this car with 40k miles will get me to work in the morning, if so, i will turn it in and get something different.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    felt bad for the person who posted at the beginning "this is a great car, I cannot see why Daewoo will not be a major contender in the U.S. market", or something like that. In light of what has happened...

The only Daewoo I ever drove was a Nubira, took it on a half hour test drive. The steering pulled badly, one of the windows and some of the lights did not work, and the car had less than 50 miles. It was raspy getting on the freeway, and not very fast either. I never went back.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• avliskavlisk Member Posts: 1
    The deal is: $7400 brand new including all fees, auto, ac, pw, pm, cassette. Add $995 if I take the 4/48k warranty. What do you think? Ken S.
This discussion has been closed.