Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Owners: Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Honda
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Civic!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know any additional discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• bigkahunaflbigkahunafl Member Posts: 128
    My name is Russ and I own a 2001 Civic EX Sedan with automatic and side-air bags.
    I took ownership on January 25 so I'm not sure if some of the minor problems people have been experiencing will apply to my car.
    I look forward to hearing from other owners and their experiences.
  • bordsourcebordsource Member Posts: 95
    Hopefully this won't sound too support-groupish. My name's Steven. I have an Eternal Blue '01 EX 5-sp sedan, no options, and no side-airbags. $16,325 back on 11/29. Right now it's got almost 3900 miles on it, and going semi-strong. The airdam needs replacing (ripped it off!), the seatback doesn't work, the gas gauge is messed up (my light doesn't come on at all), the seatback release doesn't work, & there's a creak and buzz in the dash. Gas mileage has only dipped under 30 once in 70% city driving. My stereo has coded only 4 times. I love the car, though. It's roomy, practical, and more fun than a lot of things. I'd borderline recommend it over a Malibu or Altima.
  • cwosignscwosigns Member Posts: 13
    My name is Chris. I own a 1997 EX Coupe. I just bought it a couple weeks ago. Prior to that I had an Accord that finally died w/187,000 on the odometer.

Even though I've only had it two weeks, I'm very satisfied. I drive a lot for work (I'm a sign language interpreter) and am hoping that my Civic serves me well.
  • msmclemsmcle Member Posts: 1
    I'm Michael. I have a 2001 Civic EX coupe 5M with about 1000 miles on her. My trunk release didn't work when I got it but thats been the only problem so far.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I'm Raymond. I own a 1998 Honda Civic HX CVT coupe with 37,000 miles driven.

The only thing I need right now is a new set of tires in the 185/65R14 size--suggestions are very welcome.
  • tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    I would recomend getting a set of Dunlop D60's. The hold up well in the rain and snow and the dry grip is great.I scraped the stock fiestones at 33K on my 98 Civic EX. They were horrible in anythting other than dry weather. I also went from 185-65-14 to 195-60-14. Its not that great of a step and my ride has not suffered at all. Teh handling over the stock tires is much better. Also I got the tires from tirerack.com adn spent about the same for the Dunlops in 195/60/14 as tires in the185/65/14 size cost. It was about 45.00 per tire plus shipping. No tire store could match thier price even with shipping. Good luck with wahtever you may choose.
  • topgun01topgun01 Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks,

I just bought a 2001 Civic LX Sedan Auto w/side air bags, 2 days back in the Milwaukee area. After an hour of negotiations, I finally got a deal for $15265 (including dest. charges, keyless entry, all season floor mats, door edge guards and an arm rest). Just wanted to know if this was a fair deal? Already put 200 miles in 2 days and really love this car.

Thanks for your comments.
  • ejonavinejonavin Member Posts: 36
    Hi, I have an Acura 1.7EL Premium in Satin Silver Metalic and black leather interior. Think of it as an EX sedan with heated seats, alloy wheels, 4 disc brakes/4-channel ABS, Acura styling and emblems, ... amongst other things.

I have about 3,500 miles and haven't really had any problems except the 40/60 split rear seat doesn't seem to be locking properly.
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    Hi, I am Dave, and i have owned my 1999 Civic EX coupe, 5 spd for 2 years now. and it is what i have expected from honda. I have owned honda's before, a 1985 civic dx hatch when I sold it, it had 250,000 miles on the odo, it is still running, i also have owned an 87 honda accord LXi, 1983 chevy celebrity (the only american car i have ever owned, and it turned me away from american for life) 1991 VW jetta GL. i bought the 1999 civic after jetta started to give me hard time at 120, 000 miles.
    I wish honda sold acura EL in the US, i like the styling (slightly diffrent from civic) and of course the amenitites
  • rkanrkan Member Posts: 11
    Hi my name is Bob. I picked up my Civic 5spd w/ side air bags last saturday. I am mentally walking on eggshells waiting for all the problems reported on the Honda Civic 3 pages to show up on mine. Have not had to get gas yet so I dont know if my gauge is screwy. 200 miles and no problems. woohoo.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The Edmunds.com Drivers' Opinion Panel has just launched. This initiative will further establish Edmunds.com as the voice of the consumer by becoming a key source for automotive market research. Through this initiative Edmunds.com will send traffic to the Opinion Panel promotion and registration area. Members of the panel will participate in key market research studies for Automotive OEMs and related companies on-line as opposed to more traditional market research methods.

To become a member of the panel, please visit

Drivers' Opinion Panel

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    with 125k mi. on the odo today and going strong! No problems to mention of except for a bad speed sensor that was covered under warranty. Can't beat that. The brakes on Civics are mediocre and rotors warp easily. The trick is to not step on the brakes while you 're stopped at the light and coast slowly to a stop, hit your brakes early on and let them cool off properly before coming to a stop..
    BTW, get some decent tires on your Civics. I have Dunlop D60 HR 195-60 on 14x6" Borbet Type-T alloys. Handles great! have fun and always properly maintain your Civic. It will last a long time trouble free.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • alexjsalexjs Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I'm Alex and I drive a dark green '99 EX coupe. I picked it up used about 6 months ago. The paint leads me to believe it's previous owner was stalking a sand truck so a trip to the paint shop is in order.

My last set of wheels was an '85 Accord which started leaking like a sieve - oil pan, rack and pinion, struts, A/C, iffy main seal - after 168k miles of minimal maintenance. Needless to say, the trade-in was kinda thin. ;^)
  • gibnutgibnut Member Posts: 4
    Greetings,
    Purchased the 01-EX about three weeks ago. Pleased so far! Thinking about the CR-V for my wife!
    Anyhow, I look forward to conversing through these forums.

Gibnut :-)
  • milanoredmilanored Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I own a 99 Civic EX coupe. I've owned my car for 2 years now (just hit 25K miles on the odo), and It's doing great. I've never had any mechanical problems (knock-on-wood) with my car, so Honda give yourself a pat on the back. On the other hand, Honda sold me a car that had flaws in the paint. The clearcoat is spotted from some sort of fallout. Honda said it wasn't covered under warranty because it was on the surface of the paint, not under it so it's not a manufacturing defect. The spots look like water drops and they cover the entire surface of the car. I noticed the spots, but it had rained earlier on the day I picked up my car, so I simply thought they were waterspots. I got screwed in this situation, and to add insult to injury the customer service were very rude. No pats on the back for Honda's customer service, I'd rather kick them in the [non-permissible content removed]!
  • bordsourcebordsource Member Posts: 95
    That sounds like an awesome car- I don't think it would sell in the US, but it sounds like an intriguing variation of the Civic. How much did you pay for your car (yes, I know, it'll be in Canadian dollars)? According to the website, the cost of a Acura 1.7EL top trim (whatever it is) is approximately the same as a Civic EX here once the currency has been converted. True?
  • ejonavinejonavin Member Posts: 36
    It's hard to compare Canadian car prices with US ones just by converting the exchange rate. Most vehicles are cheaper in Canada if you only use that comparison.

In Canada for about the same price as the top trim Acura 1.7EL-Premium, you can get one of:
    - Honda Accord LX with ABS package
    - Nissan Altima GXE with ABS package
    - Toyota Camry lowest trim (no options)
    - VW Jetta GLS 2.0 (no options)

All the other compacts are obviously cheaper. So, it's your choice: fully loaded compact sedan with leather, etc... or lowest trim mid-sized sedan.
    To avenge you I will wipe the road with a Kia whatever with my Civic EX for you.
    Tezereli - While you're wiping the road with those "Kia whatevers," would you save a little for the "Hyundia whatever" that wiped the road with my Civic EX yesterday?! Oh, and the Suzuki Swift too? How humiliating.
    I hope yours doesnt have and auto. If so that might be your problem. A little tuner work may help too.
    tazereli - I have the 99' 5-speed Civic EX coupe. I learned from my last car (91 Toyota Celica GT automatic) that if you have less than 6 cylinders, get the manual tranny!
  • kwelsskwelss Member Posts: 21
    Hi, I'm Karin from California and I own a 1991 Honda Civic sedan.

It's been the most reliable and fuel-efficient car I've ever owned-- I'm at 144,000 miles and still using my original clutch. I recently had my very first breakdown at 11 years and 143,600 miles.

I have a five-speed manual transmission and get about 34mpg city/36-40 highway (depends whether my air conditioner is running). If you live in the SF Bay Area, you may have seen me-- I'm the one with the white Civic with big blue and green paint splat decals all over it. *g*

I finally bought a new car last month-- I very badly wanted to fall in love with the CR-V, but after test-driving a CR-V, a RAV4, and a Forester, I found myself seduced by a red Subaru Forester S+.

It was a difficult decision-- I've been so happy with my Civic and believe in Honda as a quality carmaker. But Subarus also have wonderful reputations for reliability and economy, so it really came down to how the CR-V "felt" (power and ergonomics) versus the Forester. And I really didn't like the CR-V's swing-out rear gate design.

I'm still driving my Civic every workday as a commuter, and plan to do so until it falls apart... probably at about 260,000 miles or so. *g*

Pleased to meet y'all.
    Karin
  • civic_cx_92civic_cx_92 Member Posts: 87
    My 1992 Honda Civic CX has 107,900 miles, I am the original owner, it has 5-sp manual, change oil every 2500-miles/3 months, and use regular unleaded (87 octane) gas.

I’ve replaced:
    two batteries (no headlight buzzer reminder)
    one CV joint boot band
    One exhaust muffler (rust)

I’d buy another Honda Civic although the 3-door hatchback model has been discontinued for 2001 in USA. It is a great freeway commuter that is reliable, gets good gas mileage, cheap to insure, runs on cheap gas, easy to work on, and has good resale value.

On my 92 Civic I drove 900 miles in a day driving from Susanville east of Mt. Shasta to Eureka then back to LA. I took it out on a road trip to Grand Canyon-Meteorite Crater-Clovis-Carlsbad Caverns-Durango-Moab-Sedona-back to LA all during summer. The car never overheated once, from Mojave Desert (gateway to Death Valley) to Molas Pass (elevation over 10,800 feet) north of Durango.

The 92 Civic CX has 10-gallon gas tank and I got 34-41 mpg during my trip.

I’ve also owned a 1985 Civic S (bought new) and 1989 Prelude Si (2 years old used), both fun and reliable cars.

I used to post on messageboard on Yahoo!

CX
    Please take a look at Owner's Club Changes to offer your opinion.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• oops13oops13 Member Posts: 16
    I've had mine since December 2000. I have already put 6500 problem free miles on it. I'm getting 38 mpg with a 90/10 hwy/cty mix. I refuse to follow the dealers recomedation of 3750 miles for the oil changes. I will follow the manual recomended 10,000 mile interval. I won't be going 20,000 miles between oil filter changes though. I have not been affected by any of the complaints or TSB's yet. I replaced the OEM tires with GOODYEAR AQUATREAD 3's at 500 miles and am much happier with the ride, wet traction and cornering ability now. Those factory Firestones really hold the car back from it's potential. This was my 2nd new car purchase (many used vehicles)in the 12 years that I have been driving, and it is the first Honda product. I'm hooked. The quality compared to the Saturn that it replaced isn't even in the same ballpark. I love the car and look forward to the day that Honda sells a full size truck.
  • elownerelowner Member Posts: 1
    I got an Aura 1.7 EL with green metallic color.
    It is a good value for the money.
    I have 1000 kilo on it. No problem.
    Before going for an Acura EL, I was looking into Ford Focus, Honda Civic and VW Jetta.
    Acura's/Honda's reliability is proven.
    In Canada, We don't get Honda Civic Ex in sedan style.
    Some of you will notice that your messages from yesterday no longer exist. There was a major hiccup in the system last evening. Edmunds.com apologizes sincerely for the difficulties this situation poses. Please rest assured that every effort is being expended to rectify this matter as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    This week's topic:

My vehicle is better than yours because....

Brag about your ride on Tuesday, May 8, 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET in the new News & Views Weekly Chat

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• dash400mdash400m Member Posts: 55
    This wagon is in excellent condition with 243,000 miles. I purchased the car new in May, 1985 from Wilde Honda in Waukesha, WI. The only options ordered with the car were AM radio, AC unit and floor mats. Total price was ~$8900.

Maintenance Summary:

* Replaced carburetor floats @55,000 miles.
    * Replaced automatic transmission @130,000.
    * Replaced alternator (Bosch) @140,000.
    * Replaced front axle assembly @175,000.
    * Replaced ball joints/radius arms @210,000.
    * Replaced front and rear struts (KYB) @210,000.
    * Replaced 1.5L engine with Jasper re-man
    @235,000. (The engine was running fine until
    the camshaft popped.)
    * Miscellaneous -- I've gone through four sets of
    CV boots, two starters and the clutch assembly
    on the AC unit. To date, I haven't replaced the
    AC compressor.

What else can be said? The car as no acceleration with its rated 75 H.P. The car has its original carburetor, burns 87 octane (Shell), and averages ~35 mpg. The AM radio is analog, has excellent audio, and has very little interference from engine noise. 1985 was the last year that Honda offered an "AM-only" radio. This car looks almost as good as it did when it arrived in Milwaukee from Japan. It also has ample cargo space. Enough said...

j.w.
    Spotsylvania, VA
  • numufflernumuffler Member Posts: 1
    Hello folks! I have a 2000 Civic EX coupe for about a year. Started with 10 miles on the odometer, it now has experienced 9,000 of well-cared-for miles. I have questions in the following areas:

1- windows: the powered windows to be a bit slow on the up run. Is this 'normal'?
    2- the car tends to hesitate a bit in the second gear. I had thought it was the fuel injection problem but my thought was dismissed by Honda service people. They didn't know what it was and didn't seem to care. I wonder if other owners experience the same behavior?
    3- My Civic was made in Ohio. I noticed several poor workmanship in the exterior and interior of the car. None seems to be of serious nature but it's a bit annoying to see have a sloppy rubber trimming of the headlights on my car. Why is it that the American can't seem to have the quality standard in workmanship like the Japanese??
  • lchiallchial Member Posts: 5
    Hello! I'm trying to decide between a 2001 auto CIVIC EX and a 2001 auto JETTA GLS 2.0. Any suggestions?
  • needadvice1needadvice1 Member Posts: 2
    I'd like some help in deciding what car to buy. I currently still own my first car,a 93 toyota carolla and was thinking of buying a new car. I thought of getting the 2001 honda civic lx because i've liked driving my sister's 2000 civic ex around. However after reading about the problems on here, i'm wondering if i should reconsider and get a 2002 Carolla le instead. I would appreciate any suggestions. Also has anyone been able to get invoice price for the civic now that the 2002 models should be coming out soon.
  • willieguapowillieguapo Member Posts: 1
    Hello I recently purchased a 1989 Honda Civic SI from the original owner. A 34 year old woman who kept the car garaged 80% of the time in California. She shipped the car to New York where I live. She's moved back to Cali but didn't want to take the car. I purchased the car and fell in love with it because it's CHERRY (Immaculate condition) The car has 109,000 miles, Red, Sun roof, PGFI 12 valve 1.5L HO, Original clutch, EVERYTHING is original. The car starts and runs smoother than my parents 1996 Toyota celica. No ticks, dings or clanking sounds. Never crashed and drives straight as an arrow on the high way when you release the steering wheel. My question is; What is the value of a (possible collector) car like this one? It's the last year of it's boxy body style. Is it worth more than the blue book value to a true Honda enthusiast??
  • jlcreasyjlcreasy Member Posts: 3
    Hello-
    We just bought our first Honda over the weekend. We have been Nissan family since 1981(when it was still Datsun), but decided to take a walk on the wild side and try something different. I count cars on my way to and from work and Honda always out numbered Nissan's. I know this is a strange reason to buy a car, but...Anyway, we are hoping to get more EXTRA special miles out of it than our 94 Sentra, which is still going strong with 151K miles and almost all original parts. Wish us luck!!
  • lindaolindao Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    My name is Linda. I just bought my first car a month ago (at the tender age of 38). I wanted to love the Mazda Protege because I had read such great reviews and they were having a rare financing deal (0% for 48 months). I test drove the 2001 Civic EX 5 speed manual first for comparison and loved it. I drove the Protege next and found it extremely uncomfortable. So I went back to the Honda dealer. I live in central Illinois and paid $300 over invoice and got 6.7% financing for 5 years over the internet (Honda offered me 7.3). I had an easy, no-hassle, no extra sales pitches experience and feel that I got a good deal on the car. The Edmund's TMV for my car was $200 over invoice, but I still think $300 over is a good deal.

My partner has a 1995 Honda Civic EX, 5 speed manual and it is interesting to note the differences. I thought that the conversations about the Macpherson struts versus wishbone struts were for gearheads only, but we both noticed the difference. I like the suspension better in the '95, but like everything else about my 2001 better. The shifting and acceleration are both more fluid and the change in design makes it much more comfortable inside. I only have about 460 miles on it right now, so I can't say anything about the mileage I'm getting, but I really like driving it.
  • gudiyagudiya Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody,
    i just bought a 2001 Honda Civic LX sedan,i only have 400 miles on it.When i start my car from the parking lot or at a light, and take my foot off the brake very slowly, the whole underneath of the car makes a creaking noise, this is my first car ever, so..maybe this is supposed to happen.
    if not, please let me know how to fix this.
    Thanks
    What are the most important factors in your car-buying decisions? The Chicago Tribune is looking for a ranking of concerns such as safety, price, monthly payment, styling, quality, etc.

Please send your response to jfallon@edmunds.com, or post in Talk to the Press.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • bschwagerbschwager Member Posts: 1
    Replaced my '91 Camry 4dr with a 2002 Civic EX sedan. I like it a lot, but it just doesn't seem to feel the same as the Camry. It feels cheaper. I couldn't afford the Accord. The suspension on the 2002 Civic feels quite firm to me. I've seen complaints that the 2001s were mushy and hopped too much, especially around corners. The 2002 seems to hug the road. The day after I drove it home, I discovered a leak in the Power Steering pump. Took it back to the dealer, and they replaced some sort of seal. My first tank of gas yielded 38 MPGs.
    My experience with the dealer was great. I dealt with the Internet manager, and was able to negotiate a deal over the phone. I got the vehicle for $16,400, which included destination. The dealer was Ontario Honda in Canandaigua, NY.
  • cwliangcwliang Member Posts: 54
    bschwager - I'm just like you, I went from a '91 Camry (blue DX) to an '02 Civic EX sedan... The interior seems to be similar (some more conveniences in the new Civic, like map lights and a sunroof), but it definitely rides firmer than the Camry, handles much better, and is jolted by potholes a lot more... And to think, it cost about $5,000 MORE than the Camry did back in '91... Gotta love inflation. :)
  • jjpalmer1jjpalmer1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Civic DX coupe a couple of months ago. I would like to make a few
    modifications to boast the performance of the car. It is an automatic (though
    I wanted 5-speed). Can anybody help me with a systematic way to achieve this.
    I don't want to make a race car, and with this model, I probably can't. I would,
    however, like to reach the full potential of the car eventually, but a little at a time.
    What should I start with? Thanks for any help.
  • earwenearwen Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1997 honda Civic EX coupe automatic. I have been a Honda owner for many years now and I guess you could consider me a dedicated customer. I have owned a 1985 JDM Honda Prelude while living in Japan and sold it to purchase a 1987 JDM Honda Integra which I sold to purchase a 1990 JDM Honda Prelude. I purchased my Civic after returning to America. I was looking for an economical and reliable automatic.

In response to message #41- It depends on how much power you really want. For thousands of dollars you can technically achieve 300 hp and still be street legal with very little reliability concerns. I am like you. I wanted just a little more power from my Civic. Here are the modifications I have made:

1). Cold air tube style intake with K&N filter
    2). Cat back exhaust system with 2.5in pipe from the cat to the Magnaflow muffler
    3). Enlarged plug wires (9mm I think)
    4). Front and rear sway bars

The performance gains are not HUGE. They are noticable though. Remember, if you make significant power modifications don't forget about stopping! Upgrade your brakes!

There is a magazine you might find at you local book store called Honda Tuning. There you'll find lots of performance tuning ideas. There are other tuning magazines like Superstreet and Sport Compact Car. Superstreet caters to a younger crowd while Sport Compact seems to cater to the elder. Both are good.

I plan on making future modifications that are significant after I scrounge up enough money to by another Honda as a second set of wheels. Tuning can be fun but remember to play it smart and do your research. Todays vehicles are computer controlled precision machines. Uneducated modifications can be costly and may null any dealer or manufacture warranty you may have.
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • mgreene8mgreene8 Member Posts: 8
    numuffler you might want to get the window tracks lubricated. My front passenger window was slow on the uptake and once the track was lubed, operates *much* better.

My Bear is a white `98 Civic LX and I'm the 2nd owner. ((yes, I gave him a name just like all the other vehicles I have owned.)) Great gas mileage, tight turning radius and can blow doors off on a good day (when I'm having a good day). Just a few miles over 46k (26k+/- are mine) and tomorrow, he gets a new trans. Have I had major trans problems?? NO. Just 2 days out of 2 years. Apparently, my dealer discovered a "bulletin" when I took him in for a diagnosis of the 2-day problem, and the answer was a complete replace. Have I had any other major problems?? Just a salesman that I would never deal with again, since he repeatedly lied, but other than that, not a thing. The dealer service is great and has provided, including today, a ride home and tomorrow will come and get me. Is that unusual?? Even though I can't keep him clean, and can't find a reputable detailer, he's my Bear. [[and I NEVER thought that I would own a Honda, since everybody else on the planet does.]]
  • manualtransmanualtrans Member Posts: 10
    Hi everyone, I am a proud new owner of a 2002 Civic Ex Coupe, with manual transmission. I purchased the car from Norm Reeves Honda Superstore in Cerritos Auto Square for $15,200. It has been a little less than a month now, and i already have 1800 miles on it. Shows how much i love to drive this car.

Ok, now on to my question for Earwen. Can you please tell me what I should start to work on, in order to increase the performance of my car? I am looking at doing it piece by piece and NOT doing anything that will ruin my car in ANY way. I don't want to void my warranty and would very much like some suggestions on the most reliable way to modify my ride. Do all the suggestions in mod Mags like SuperStreet suggest reliable methods of modifying my car?

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. What is the first thing i should work on to notice the most amount of change in performance???
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Hello guys,

We just bought a 2002 Civic EX Auto 4dr Sedan for my daughter. Just noticed oil cap says 5W-20 oil and owner's manual says to use 5W-20, 5W-30 is an ok substitude to use if 5W-20 is not available, but should change back to 5W-20 next oil chnage.

My 01 Odyssey oil filler cap also says to use 5W-20 but owner's manual got updated to list 5W-30 only.

Any comments?

bjk
  • rickinnj8rickinnj8 Member Posts: 9
    I have owned my red '96 Civic EX coupe from day 1. It was sitting on the showroom floor with aluminum wheels, a spoiler, a sunroof wind deflector, a cassette player, Lojack and leather interior. It still looks like new with 83K on the odometer. I haven't had a single problem with it (except the issue with the sunroof molding that I mention in "Honda Civic Problems"). I have only changed the oil, the tires, the brake pads and the muffler. I guess I can say I got my moneys worth. I'm looking forward to passing on this car to my daughter when she gets her license soon. Any comments on what I should buy next?
  • jrl03182002jrl03182002 Member Posts: 10
    Hi All -

I just bought my car a month ago and I love it. This site and others are really very helpful to me in getting a good deal.

Any advise I could give to new car buyers, just let me know.

JRL
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    Hello
    thinking of buying a 2002 LX auto w/a/c.

I'm a musician and will be transporting roughly 300 - 400lbs of cargo in the trunk and some in the back seat -- -- on a regular basis.

No, I don't want a truck or van.

Question: can the Civic 1.7 liter engine handle carrying this weight, or will it be constantly straining and thus could wear out fast?

I guess the weight is about the same as transporting 3 adult passengers in addition to the adult male driver, all the time.

Anybody have any experience to share?
    thanks!!
  • si2002ownersi2002owner Member Posts: 26
    Hi, 2 weeks ago I bought the SI, with 510 miles so far, i'm just starting to race it a little (breaking in period). So far i LOVE the car, quiet, smooth, quick, sharp turns, excelent location for stick shift, super nice seats, etc...
  • civicamycivicamy Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just bought 2002 EX Civic Sedan last week! I love it so far, but I have heard rumors that new cars should not be driven very fast in the beginning. This is due to "breaking them in". Any advice? I am about to take a drive to Atlanta from Philadelphia, and the thought of driving at 50 mph frightens me!

Thanks!!!
This discussion has been closed.