Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 Jeep Liberty Drops and Jerks When Shifting (Manual Transmission)

lette83lette83 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Jeep

2002 Liberty drops about 6 inches when shifting from park to reverse to drive. Car jerks, putters, then cuts off. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the AIC (idle motor control), front shocks, brakes, did a tune up and fuel injection flush. $1700 and three weeks later the problem still exits. Taking it back. I think it is a transmission related issue. I noticed someone else had this issue in 2006. This sight would be beneficial if everyone posted their resolution. Does anyone have an ideal of what the problem could be because the dealer does not. :-).

Comments

• zoecozoeco Member Posts: 18

I have a 2003 Liberty and the transmission is noted for being "chunky". I bought it used in 2003 with 30,000 miles on it and I have had this issue since I got it. I recently had the transmission worked on because it would not shift into third gear. Since then, the transmission is still chunky like it was from the beginning. When I did some research, I found that it is a common problem with Liberties. I am getting ready to buy a new vehicle as I have 175000 miles on my Liberty and I can say I will not miss the chunky transmission. Sorry I was unable to help. Just wanted to vent.