Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited February 2014

I cant speculate. That price is so low its almost unheard of any dealer needing or wanting to sell that cheap End of the month would be best time to nail a similar price if possible????. Some dealerships will sell real cheap one month and the next month wont .. . Its all a big game...... find the right dealership at months end and anything is possible..

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

edited February 2014

The bad weather here in the NorthEast has effected sales for all cars. . With dealerships getting to the point of having there stores and lots overstocked will result in some great deals. Be patient and buy last 2 days, last day of this month and next month. Presidents week heading into the last days of Feb may be very good this year.. Check dealers inventories to see who has alot of Accords sitting around and try to make deals with them 1st.

. Our beloved Accord has dropped to 4th place this month in sales behind the Camry, Altima, and Fusion . This is a good thing for future Accord buyers.

Stick with a higher target price to buy this month... If your buying and dont get your targeted price hold out til Feb/ presidents weekend to get your price. By the end of feb, if your target price is a little to high then Re- adjust price down and make the sale to buy . The leverage for consumers will be very favorable for us in some of the harder regions to buy. Best to get 10 to 15 dealerships involved and keep negotiating thru Jan, into Feb if your target price to buy is not met.....

Sales are down and you know Toyota, Nissan, Ford , and Hyundai will be loading up on Incentives and rebates to pick up sales...

I'm not saying you could get 2500 below invoice price or 2000........ I do think on a average in most states your target price to buy/ lease should be from a low end of 800 below to as high as 1700. If you could get dealers flex cash on top of these numbers you have done very well. Use your head......If u know your area's market price is not good dont be asking for a 2k below invoice price that will get you nowhere fast and be very frustrating to make a good deal.

MD and VA are 2 area's where you may work hard for 2k or more on a Accord. Boston, MA will sell close 1000 to 1500 below at some dealerships at the end of the month.

OHIO.........500 to 1000 on average

NY/ NJ/ 500 to 1200 on average.. Know your area's market prices

PA/ DE, NC, SC..................same

I personally think getting 1000 to 1200 below invoice price plus flex cash will be more the easy norm for alot of folks.. The higher end deals far a few apart . Better negotiators and hitting that right dealer may be a key to getting that price of 2k or higher.

Work together................... Post the city your in and the dealerships name so folks dont have to keep posting to ask your location etc.............. happy hunting............ Good luck

• llllll Member Posts: 4

Hi All,
    I am looking for Accord LX 2014 at los angeles, CA
    get internet quotation $20,870.
    What will be the reasonable price in CA?

edited February 2014

III

700 below invoice to as high as 1700. It will all depend how far you want to travel to get better pricing. LA pricing is 500 to 1000 below invoice on the average..

looking at your internet price if it included the 790 destanation charge that puts you at $ 749 below invoice price. The Lx model Invoice price with dest/ charge is 21,619

• zenexscriderzenexscrider Member Posts: 4

Brian,

I have been reading your posts and trying to follow the methods in the forums for negotiating the price of Honda Accord. I am from Austin and it is notoriously hard to negotiate. I want to go for a 2014 EXL. The best price and personal negotiations from two dealers was 28125 OTD (with $500 flex cash). They claim they are selling the car at invoice and cannot go down any further. I was willing to settle for 27500OTD. Nope to that too. The taxes here are 6.25%. What do you suggest?

I have quotes from other places like San Marcos, San Antonio and Houston. Some did not respond, other quoted similar numbers.

Thanks.

edited February 2014

zene,

What was the dealers selling price of vehicle?? What are your dealers doc fee charges. OTd pricing gives me no info into your deal.... Do you know the invoice price of your model.?

I would hold out to the last days in feb. contact as many dealers as your willing to travel to and make the best deal out of the lot. Target pice in your area 500 below invoice. Outside Austin shoot for 1000 below dealers invoice.

In your emails to all dealerships you state : You will buy your model vehicle, color and any options for xxx price for a sale that moment holding sale with a credit card deposit.

Email the dealerships closest to you and ask if they want your business before you go buy at dealership x. outside of Austin. Emails then direct talks with each dealers internet manager..

make dealers that are closest to you match further dealerships price or walk and buy further.

• carkhojcarkhoj Member Posts: 13

Need some expert advice. I'm offered Simoniz glasscoat on my new accord for $500 by the dealer. Does this add any value? Should I buy it? Thanks.

wash on wash off........ holds no value. Save your money. Every new car comes with a factory clear coat finish to protect the paint. if you want to keep your new cars finish looking new

Wash, claybar, and build up 5 to 6 layers of wax thru the year. repeat every year.

You could buy a product called liquid glass wax. Cost 20 dollars and probably works just as good as your mentioned product.

• zenexscriderzenexscrider Member Posts: 4

Brian,

The invoice was 26650. Taxes were 1665. Tag+Title+state inspection = 120. Documentation was 350$. Total comes to around 28750 and with flex cash he said it was 28250.

Thanks.

@brian125 said:
    III

700 below invoice to as high as 1700. It will all depend how far you want to travel to get better pricing. LA pricing is 500 to 1000 below invoice on the average..

looking at your internet price if it included the 790 destanation charge that puts you at $ 749 below invoice price. The Lx model Invoice price with dest/ charge is 21,619

Thank you Brian.

that means target 20,000 and ask for flex cash,right

edited February 2014

III,

Read thru this board to see what other forum members deals were in LA. You may be pushing it with a top target price in a not so great selling area.

If you could get 1000 to 1200 below dealers invoice plus flex cash you will have done real well..

If you want to shoot for the stars with a 1700 target price you best be a good negotiator and know what your doing.. Ask for that price in a email you will get a NO response back from most dealerships..

Im..................... me if you need more direction.

@brian125 said:
    III,

Read thru this board to see what other forum members deals were in LA. You may be pushing it with a top target price in a not so great selling area.

If you could get 1000 to 1200 below dealers invoice plus flex cash you will have done real well..

If you want to shoot for the stars with a 1700 target price you best be a good negotiator and know what your doing.. Ask for that price in a email you will get a NO response back from most dealerships..

Im..................... me if you need more direction.

Thank you so much

• carkhojcarkhoj Member Posts: 13

@brian125 said:
    You could buy a product called liquid glass wax. Cost 20 dollars and probably works just as good as your mentioned product.

Thanks Brian. I'm going to say "No" to the glasscoat then.

• txtiger89txtiger89 Member Posts: 1

After reading all of the good info here, as well as the forum over at driveaccord.net, and reaching out to 6-8 dealers here in DFW over the last couple of weeks via the internet and phone, Friday night I finalized my purchase on a black Accord EX L Sedan, 4 cyl, no navigation at Autonation Honda in Lewisville. $25,347 (includes 500 flex cash) plus TTL. Total OTD was $27,258. That also included all of the various dealer adds - tint, wheel locks, stripe, mats, flaps, etc. These guys were the most straightforward of all that I spoke with. They gave me a solid internet quote, but I was still able to negotiate it down further. I may have been able to play their final quote with some other dealers to get it down a little further but ultimately I'm happy with the deal.

good job on above post .. enjoy your new accord

• slamtazslamtaz Member Posts: 55
    edited February 2014

anybody here recently purchased in the sin city area? we're about to enter the car buying market and the 2014 accord 2.4 sport cvt is in our short list. i saw invoice pricing to be around 23,225 including destination but have been out of the market for over 6 years and have no idea how to approach it this time.

glossing over this thread seems 1,500 below invoice is achievable though not sure if that's higher or lower here in vegas.

any inputs will be highly appreciated.

radar007,

you did well with your negotiations.. i hope you learned some of the tips and remember for your next purchase.

good luck and enjoy.

• steph_beer_mesteph_beer_me Member Posts: 8

@jake1728 said:
    Lurker here, but thanks so much everyone for your help in approaching this (veers, brian, vabeach, everyone I haven't named since it's after Midnight...)

Purchased a 2014 Accord LX CVT, no options. Target was 19,400 incl. all doc/dealer fees and I think I came close.

Invoice: 21620

Sales price: 19165

Doc: 200

Out-of-state registration dealer fee: 160 (only because it was financed, dealer was willing to waive if cash deal)

+My state's sales tax

+My state's tags

OTD is $19,525 (incl. all dealer fees) + sales tax + tags

$2,095 below invoice all said and done. Definitely worth the drive to Maryland imo. Local dealers where no where close.

Dealer is O Donel Honda outside Baltimore. They were a pleasure to deal with. Upfront quote via email, no games at the dealership, and just all around great guys.

Happy New Years everyone and good luck if you're still in the market. Hope you find a deal you like!

I live in upstate NY (near Rochester) where Honda dealers notoriously won't deal much below invoice (I bought a 2010 Honda Oddy at invoice a few years back and felt lucky to get that). So now I'm in the market for an 2014 Accord LX (no options) and was thinking about making the trip to MD for a better deal. Jake1728 got a great deal in early Jan at O'Donnell (2k below invoice). My question is, am I likely to get a significantly better deal at months-end here in Feb, where I would need to make a special trip down to MD? Or can I get a similar deal at the end of May when I will be in MD on other business. All else being equal, is there a seasonal component such that a mid-winter deal will be much better than trying to deal in spring when demand is high? My ideal price point is $1500-2000 under invoice, similar to Jake1728's deal.

• jake1728jake1728 Member Posts: 5

@steph_beer_me:

I honestly think 2k under invoice is going to be hard unless Honda does another dealer incentive like they did in December when I bought (my sale closed the last day of December btw, not early-Jan).

That said, I definitely thing 1.5k under after flex is very possible if you're willing to travel down. Brian is probably better at speculating on this, but I'd say end of March is fine for 1.5k below after flex.

edited February 2014

@steph_beer_me said

I live in upstate NY (near Rochester) where Honda dealers notoriously won't deal much below invoice (I bought a 2010 Honda Oddy at invoice a few years back and felt lucky to get that). So now I'm in the market for an 2014 Accord LX (no options) and was thinking about making the trip to MD for a better deal. Jake1728 got a great deal in early Jan at O'Donnell (2k below invoice).

Steph,

I agree what jake1728 said in his above post. If you could wait til May and you are down by the Md area you most likely will save 1k on a New Accord purchase.

I helped 2 people buy Accords in Dec near your area and pricing was like you said; Invoice to 200 below on all emails and quotes and most dealers were not budging on there offer.

Here is the bottom line............. The weather here In NY/NJ/PA/CT/ MA/RI. has been awful.
    Buying at the end of Feb will save you a few dollars off your price. I will go back and see if i could get info on what dealers our friends from the upstate NY purchased at.

I think there sales price was 600 and 900 below invoice invoice price by buying at months end..

@brian125 said:
    steph_beer_me said

I live in upstate NY (near Rochester) where Honda dealers notoriously won't deal much below invoice (I bought a 2010 Honda Oddy at invoice a few years back and felt lucky to get that). So now I'm in the market for an 2014 Accord LX (no options) and was thinking about making the trip to MD for a better deal. Jake1728 got a great deal in early Jan at O'Donnell (2k below invoice).

Steph,

I agree what jake1728 said in his above post. If you could wait til May and you are down by the Md area you most likely will save 1k on a New Accord purchase.

I helped 2 people buy Accords in Dec near your area and pricing was like you said; Invoice to 200 below on all emails and quotes and most dealers were not budging on there offer.

Here is the bottom line............. The weather here In NY/NJ/PA/CT/ MA/RI. has been awful.
    Buying at the end of Feb will save you a few dollars off your price. I will go back and see if i could get info on what dealers our friends from the upstate NY purchased at.

I think there sales price was 600 and 900 below invoice invoice price by buying at months end..

Thanks so much for the quick response Brian (and Jake). If you could find out what Rochester area dealer they worked with and how much below invoice, that would be fantastic. If I can get 900 below here I would stay local, vs 1500 in MD.

One other question, I've read through all the responses on this forum and I still don't understand how the flex cash negotiations work. Let's say my target is 900 below invoice, do I offer 900 below and then ask if they have flex cash available on top of that, to get it down even further? If they already consider 900 below to be unacceptable I can't imagine they'll be very forthcoming with additional incentives for me. Or do I offer 600 below and then ask for flex cash and hope that they offer 300 to get me to 900 below? I guess I'm not understanding their incentive to offer me flex cash if it's an 'ask'.

edited February 2014

Flex cash is a 500 dollar Incentive to you from the Honda corp. for financing your vehicle thru them. FLEX has nothing to do with you intial agree price. Your Offer/ target price to buy and flex cash are 2 seperate things.

Not to beat a dead horse. Some dealers will add there flex cash already into your deal to make it seem like your getting a good price. So to avoid that when you email and make your calls to dealerships Internet depts. you ask all dealerships DO you have flex cash to give if I finance thru you. Dealers that have flex cash try to buy car from them 1st.

Your emails should State to each internet manager. I will buy this model from you today for xxx price plus flex cash for financing thru honda. If you would like to wrap this deal up today i will give you a credit card deposit.. here is my cell phone # otherwise i plan on buying in 2 weeks.

Any email to this effect is a good email showing you will buy today and will start you off with your negotiation process.
    I like to do this on the last days/ last day of any month. I dont advise you to go this route due to the harder priced region and your negotiation skills. Investigate your targeted dealerships and start next week. Remember at some point you need to speak directly to the dealers internet manager to wrap up your deal.

Here is who i Recommend in order at months end in Albany,..... if you dont mind the drive.

LIA

Mohawk

Keeler

Eric kahn

If you want to travel to Westchester try Friendly honda or

New Rochelle honda this is probably your best bet at 1500 below.

Am thinking and i may be off a couple of hundred north or south of this price but your target price to buy in a bad region should be 1000 below invoice plus flex cash if dealer has to offer. At the end of the month depending on your negotiating skills you may hit that target mark price or fall short a few hundred.

All car Sales have been terrible these past 2 months. I'm sure Albany's honda stock has risen the past 2 months with supply in our favor.

At very worst case buying at 800 below invoice  with no flex cash does not make for a bad deal for the Number 1 best midsize car in its class. 

Dont even know how the last 2 lines got highlighted...Lol

• eastwest30eastwest30 Member Posts: 5

Hello...I have been looking at this board for the past few weeks and all the information/advice has been quite helpful. I am interested in 2013 Honda Accord Coupe EX w/ auto. Anyone have suggestions on dealerships in the southern california area. I am having a hard time getting quotes via email. What is reasonable price to shoot for? Thinking around 23.5k which is about 1k off invoice, reasonable with president's day coming?

Thanks

@brian125 said:
    Flex cash is a 500 dollar Incentive to you from the Honda corp. for financing your vehicle thru them. FLEX has nothing to do with you intial agree price. Your Offer/ target price to buy and flex cash are 2 seperate things.

Not to beat a dead horse. Some dealers will add there flex cash already into your deal to make it seem like your getting a good price. So to avoid that when you email and make your calls to dealerships Internet depts. you ask all dealerships DO you have flex cash to give if I finance thru you. Dealers that have flex cash try to buy car from them 1st.

Your emails should State to each internet manager. I will buy this model from you today for xxx price plus flex cash for financing thru honda. If you would like to wrap this deal up today i will give you a credit card deposit.. here is my cell phone # otherwise i plan on buying in 2 weeks.

Any email to this effect is a good email showing you will buy today and will start you off with your negotiation process.
    I like to do this on the last days/ last day of any month. I dont advise you to go this route due to the harder priced region and your negotiation skills. Investigate your targeted dealerships and start next week. Remember at some point you need to speak directly to the dealers internet manager to wrap up your deal.

Here is who i Recommend in order at months end in Albany,..... if you dont mind the drive.

LIA

Mohawk

Keeler

Eric kahn

If you want to travel to Westchester try Friendly honda or

New Rochelle honda this is probably your best bet at 1500 below.

Am thinking and i may be off a couple of hundred north or south of this price but your target price to buy in a bad region should be 1000 below invoice plus flex cash if dealer has to offer. At the end of the month depending on your negotiating skills you may hit that target mark price or fall short a few hundred.

All car Sales have been terrible these past 2 months. I'm sure Albany's honda stock has risen the past 2 months with supply in our favor.

At very worst case buying at 800 below invoice with no flex cash does not make for a bad deal for the Number 1 best midsize car in its class.

Thanks again Brian. I've checked the local (Rochester) Honda dealers inventory online and, assuming it's accurate, there is a large supply of Accord LXs in the color's I'm looking for. I think I'll follow your advice and start next week with them and target $1000 below. If I get flex cash on top of that great. I'm a cash buyer, but I don't mind getting the financing for the extra $500, as long as there's no prepayment penalty if I pay off after the first month. If they won't deal I'll expand my search to Albany and Westchester county. If that fails, it's off to MD in the spring. Thank you!

• j90606j90606 Member Posts: 23
    Hi @ brian125

I am looking for a 2014 Accord LX sedan with CVT in SoCal. Can you tell me what is the invoice price on this. Thanks in advance.

steph beer

I think you will do fine this month good luck

edited February 2014

j90606,

2014 lx invoice =20,829
    dest/ charge.........790
    total................=21,619

Target price in your area 1000 below invoice to 1700 plus flex cash if dealer has to offer.
    Pricing in your area will be alot better than here in NY. Read thru posts and apply what we have been saying about buying and trying to get lowest price....Good luck

• frankpiccifrankpicci Member Posts: 5

Hello...I have a deal on a 2014 Accord V6 EX-L with Navigation for 29,000. This includes the interior lighting ($199) and decklid spoiler ($325). Invoice without accessories is $30162. Also got .09% financing for 5 years through Honda. I'm in NJ. Good deal?

• tjc30tjc30 Member Posts: 11

I'm in Houston,Texas area trying to buy a 2014 Honda Accord Sedan-LX (Blue). I'm targeting the end of this month. The quotes I recevied (thru my spouse account) from internet departments was like $20,800 (including Destination). They all say for that price I must finance thru Honda so I believe the FlexCash is already included. Can someone tell me the price I should target in Houston Area ? (Also does truecar.com Guaranteed Savings certificate a better option to deal with dealership). Appreciate your thoughts.

edited February 2014

Truecar pricing may be better served if you imput your area plus outside your area to get a pricing guide of area pricing. You most likely can get a lower price if you use the advice we talk about in this forum. If truecar is using a price guide of 20 uneducated buyers who have not a clue how to get that good price................... why should you settle on that price to.

• la2bayla2bay Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2014

I'm currently looking at the 2014 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6 2dr (No Nav) in the Los Angeles area. According to Edmunds, the invoice is 28798.

I went through all the posts in this thread and I couldn't find anyone mentioning buying a 2DR coupe. Is it possible to get $500-1500 off invoice for a coupe model or are most people getting good deals with the 4DR sedan models?

Also, it seems like $500-1500 off invoice deals are not including the destination fee ($790). Is that correct?

I'm also looking to lease instead of finance (my credit score is 780+ with a clean history). Does this mean I can't negotiate a $500-1000 off invoice deal?

• tjc30tjc30 Member Posts: 11

Thanks Brian. Can you please tell me the Invoice (inclduing destaination) I should target in Houston,TX area for 2014 accord LX

edited February 2014

la2bay, tjc30

Supply and demand could be a factor in your pricing. 800 to 1500 below is a good target price in most states on all Accord models. If there is more supply and your a good negotiator 1500 plus is definitely worth shooting for. Dest/ charge we all have to pay its $790

Negotiate with this formula.......................

Subtract your target price to buy off your models invoice price then add the 790 dest/charge to that price.. Thats the number you negotiate with dealers.. If dealers has flex cash to offer you minus another 500 off your agreed selling price..

OTD pricing =....... your states Sales tax, DMV fee's, dealers doc fee charge.

tjc30,

Invoice on the Accord lx model with dest/ chareg included is.................21,619

• 2beinformed2beinformed Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2014
    got a 2014 Sedan EX in white today for $25,673 OTD...decent deal? Selling price was $23,129 + TTL (9% tax in the LA area). No dealer added acccessories and no flex cash/ Honda loyalty incentive available. Back in Oct, price offered on this was $24k-ish before TTL.

2beinformed

Thanks for posting you are in that target area of 800 to 1500 below for most folks.

Your deal was 1158 below invoice price in LA area.

This should help some of you guys. If you buy closer to months end you may get better pricing.

• firejrryjnsfirejrryjns Member Posts: 3

After studying the great info here on this forum, and seeing the comment from txtiger89 here in the DFW area from February 11, 2014, I finalized my purchase on a 2014 Alabaster Silver Accord EX-L Sedan, 4 cyl, no navigation at Autonation Honda in Lewisville (no trade in). They told me they could match txtiger89's deal of $25,347 (includes 500 flex cash-Financed with Honda at 0.9%) plus TTL. Total OTD, was to be $27,258. That also included all of the various dealer adds - tint, wheel locks, stripe, mats, flaps, protector under door handle, and 1 oil change. I did break down with the finance manager and bought the extended warranty of 6 years/120K miles for an additional $1,116 after he dropped it substantially (wife drives a WHOLE LOT for her job), which made my true total OTD price $28,374. Everyone at Autonation Lewisville was very straightforward with me and I have nothing but the best to say about all of them. Like txtiger89, I may have been able to play their final quote with some other dealers to get it down a little further but ultimately I'm stoked with the overall deal and the car is fantastic. I want to especially thank Brian125, Veers, ISellHondas, and everybody else on this forum who helped me with this deal. Brian, I know I gave in on the extended warranty, but he blew my mind when I saw 6years/120K miles, and the wifey drives @28K miles a year, and I don't have to worry about computer problems. Thanks for everything though!!!!!!!!

• leo_zleo_z Member Posts: 18

I am a newbie and looking for buying an EX-L without navigation in Phoenix, AZ. What would be a good way to do this. I want to buy the car in the next 2 weeks. How many dealers should I approach ? Any direction will help

I am living in CA around LA area. Tax is 8% here. Got my Accord LX Auto last week.
    OTD 22900 (Including KARR Security and KARR Replacement 5yr $860).
    This price before Flex cash. They put $500 flex cash as down payment

I am abit stupid to have the security system. Other than that is a good deal I think. Because I send the price to a lot dealer to get they beat the price. They come back says it should be a demo car, or the dealer will end up to add some fee...etc.

But the dealer did not play game, and they have all the Accord LX there just let me pick the one I like.

There's never a wrong or right answer to extended warranties. peice of mind for extented years Or roll the dice and hope you have no major problems after that 3rd year. I like what Kia and Hyundai have done. They will back there product 10yr 100k powertrain. 6yr bumper to bumper. I'd like to see the American car companies stand by there work. They would sell more vehicles..

leo,

Read thru these boards the last 2 months to get a idea on how and when to buy. see what prices folks are getting in your state. then you could ask the right questions how to proceed??

• indiomonkindiomonk Member Posts: 28

Anyone have an OTD price in Texas for a 2014 Accord Sport? I am seeing MSRP at the dealers at 24,515 but I am thinking that due to competition they may have dealer cash from Honda of around 2,000. If I remember correctly looking at older messages I think some got 2k off of sticker. Then I need to add tax title and license.

• sjb2014sjb2014 Member Posts: 1

I just bought a 2014 Accord LX CVT. Here is my story.

On 2/14, I spent a couple minutes draft up an email requesting the OTD price with my zip code. I then went to Honda website to find the dealerships in SF Bay area. From there I got 4 dealer's link and use their "contact us" to send above email.

I got 3 replies. The third dealer's email is a joke so I just ignore it.

The first dealer replied 22,692 including 500 financing, cash is 23,192. I asked for cash 23,000 OTD. He replied with unfriendly comments so I thank him for his quote and moved on.

I then email the second dealer asking for cash 23,000 OTD. He agreed so I went in and picked up the car on 2/15. While in finance department, the guy asked me why I didn't finance since I am well qualified. He then convinced me to finance and took 500 off the price.

Below are my numbers:
    car: 20,307
    doc: 80
    tax: 1783.86
    transfer charge: 29
    DMV: 251.75

Good luck everyone!

Thanks sjb2014. I may do the same and just present my price and hope a dealer accepts. I am looking for an Accord Sport though. KBB looks like invoice for the LX is 21,619. So you are well over a 1k below invoice. The Sport looks to be 23,225 at invoice I should maybe start with 21.5k plus TT&L. I have a 2010 Honda Fit that I need to trade so I hope that doesn't mess up the deal. Thanks!

• ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249

IMHO, much of the buying advise on this forum is overly complicated. In truth the sales person is not an ememy, all dealers are not crooks, and many dealers do not play silly games. They are, of course, interested in getting as much of your money as possible. Therefore anything they say must be viewed with suspicion.

The easiest method to buy a new car is simple:

Compute a desired price floor, the lowest price you can reasonably expect. Start with invoice, remember invoice is not dealer cost. Reduce the invoice by incentives, both dealer and customer. Reduce by the holdback. This price is most likely higher than the actual dealer cost as dealers get other incentives from the manufacturer such as volume incentives, stair step incentives, etc.

Obtain a fair estimate of any trade vehicle. Use Edmunds, KBB and NADA and average at the true condition of the trade vehicle. Do not expect retail for a trade vehicle.

Check your credit score. Consider Credit Karma for a free estimate which is based on Transunion information. With your credit score, you can check available rates on line or with your bank or credit union. A credit score of 720 or more will almost always qualify for the best rates.

With this information compute a desired net price and monthly payment. To do this start with your computed selling price reduced by the value of the trade. Add sales tax and registration fees. (A note, any dealer documentation fees should be considered in the selling price as those fees are in fact part of the selling price.) The resulting amount should be your out the door pricing objective.

Use one of the available on-line payment calculators to compute an expected monthly payment for your out the door price at the finance rate for which you qualify.

Knowing your pricing and payment goals, contact as many dealers as possible via email or the dealer's site.

Most likely you will receive a variety of responses. Some dealers will likely inform you they will be happy to offer you a price if you visit their showroom. Probably best to ignore these dealers.

Better for you, some dealers will provide a price offer. Select a dealer to negotiate based on their offer and other considerations such as location and reputation.

Visit this dealer for final negotiations. Remember while dealers generally pay the same for each vehicle each dealer may have a different pricing agenda. Do not be afraid to stand up and leave if you are uncomfortable with the dealer for any reason. There is always another dealer willing to sell you a vehicle. Often, a dealer will not offer it's best price until the buyer initiates an escape. A buyer's feet are their best negotiating tool.

Take all your paper work and computations and be prepared to show them to the dealer. Better yet, put them in a folder and let the sales person see the folder. Always good to let the sales person believe you, the buyer, have knowledge. However, it is best to not attempt to deceive the dealer. Seriously, they sell for a living and can spot a customer attempting to be deceptive. Do not disclose your monthly payment goal at this time. When dealing with the sales person you should only discuss price. You will have ample opportunity to discuss the monthly payment when you visit the Box, the dealer's F&I office.

A note, if the sales person asks you for a deposit in oder for them to bring your offer to the sales manager, refuse. This is simply a game to get you invested in the deal.

Once you have agreed upon a price it is time to visit the dealer F&I office. The purpose of this office is first to assure paperwork is prepared correctly and financing is arranged.

However, the F&I person is actually a sales person whose task is to take one final attempt to increase dealer profit. They do this by not offering you the lowest financing rate and selling you vastly overpriced products such as service contracts, GAP, mop and glow, window etch, and nitrogen in tires.

If the F&I person offers you a rate which you find too high, ask them for the rate for which you qualify. Dealers do not set the interest rates. Dealer's get the rates from banks and other sources. Sadly, dealers can inflate these rates by a few points. They get to keep a part of the excess financing payments if they succeed with this tactic. For example, you may qualify for a 4 percent rate but the dealer will offer you 6 percent. You have the right to ask the F&I person to show you the rate for which you qualify.

Beware of this part of the buying pricess as all your good work to buy the vehicle at a nice price can quickly be undone when these selling experts have you in their den.

At this time you can disclose your credit score and what rates you have found. Dealers can often beat those rates so give them an opportunity. Always ask about the captive lender's financing plans. The captive lenders often have very low rates.

Thanks for the very concise email. One of the biggest unknowns are the incentives, holdbacks, dealer incentives etc. With that being said it is really hard to know if there is cash back or how much a fair price is to offer. For instance it seems the Honda Fits are a low volume vehicle with limited supply from Japan so there is little profit margins for the Dealer. However the Accord is a big seller with more markup and more competition with other MidSize makers. e.g. Camry. Just saying it's hard to gauge what cost really is on some cars. It almost seems you need actually data from these forums or you have to knock on every dealers door in a 500 mile radius and start low (insultingly low) and then go up in $500 increments to find out what is acceptable....
    Thanks,

• stage4survivorstage4survivor Member Posts: 56

Anyone know any info on incentives, rebates, trunk money, etc on 2013 Accords, V6 or Touring?
    Truecar only has 2014s listed and some dealers seem to ask the same price as the 2014s, that's crazy

stage4,

The only thing out there is flex cash of 500 if dealership has to offer. Otherwise if your buying a 2013 any model your tatrget price should be 3000 and plus below dealers invoice price.. Nothing lower than this price would make sense for a 2013.. Making the 2014 a better buy.

• mike372mike372 Member Posts: 354

Brian, I am having a hard time believing some of these posts. For instance, the poster who claims he bought anAccord EXL sedan CVT at autosport honda for 1300 less than invoice plus another 500 flex cash for a total of 1800 below invoice. Every time I called them and talked to the internet mgr or sales manager they quoted me a price of maybe 300 less than invoice and told me no flex cash was available. That is part of the problem, if you wait till the last two days of the month the dealers run out of flex cash. This happened to me more than one time, both at hamilton and price. I dont care iff its the very last day of the month and five feet of snow, Autosport just does not give such great deals. I will call them and talk to George tomorrow but I guarantee that they are not going to offer me an Accord EX for anywhere near 1300 less than invoice plus flex cash. In addition, Edmunds invoice prices on the Accord are right on, but two Toyota dealers are telling me that invoice on a 2014.5 Camry is 420 higher than Edmunds invoice.What gives?