Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Audi A6 - Different noise than any I've seen discussed

rody2rody2 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Audi

I have a new 2014 A6 3.0T Prestige. I wanted to love it but the brakes are killing me. Moaning at every stop and start. Audi says it's normal. For a car that claims great German engineering, this is embarrassing. I'm selling after 3 weeks.
Has anyone else seen this? Note that this is not the historical Audi squealing. It's a moan upon the slow release of the brake.

Answers

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Funny how some things never change. Way back when - we're talking the 60s - VW Bug brakes squealed but the German engineers didn't realize the scope of the problem. Sounds like you are familiar with that story too. (The story goes that the German supplier of the brakes didn't account for the different humidity levels of much of the US. The same pads were fine over there.)

All I can suggest if no other owners pipe up is to insist on new pads. Or hang a mic off a wheel and post the sound on YouTube and link it to #Audi on Twitter or on their Facebook page. The moaning wheel gets the grease, to slaughter a phrase.

How many miles do you have on the car now? Any idea if the dealer prep included bedding in the brakes?

• Options
    rody2rody2 Member Posts: 2

Stever, Thanks for the feedback. YouTube is a bit vindictive but maybe I will find that I'm that upset. Good idea. I likely will take my loss and move on.

Only 1500 miles and no, pads where not set as part of dealer prep. I did some ABS stops with no change.
    Brakes have been so bad on these cars for so long I'm confounded as to why they are still considered a premium car. Have the car mags just gotten tired of calling them out?
    I'll never step foot on an Audi lot again. It's a shame because the styling is great. The quality is just terrible.

• Options
    markytarkymarkytarky Member Posts: 2

Yes. I have seen this. In my 2013 A6 Quattro. I am 1 year into my 3-year lease and I, too, was told this was normal. The groan does not happen on average breaking cycles, only while inching forward, like in stalled traffic. Unbearable after a car wash. Audi service has never made a move to fix it - and yes it's embarrassing for such a great performing and great looking car.