Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Potential Brake Issues Mazda CX-5

clo006clo006 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Mazda

I was in an accident with my Mazda CX-5 on April 3, 2014. I slammed on my brakes due to the unanticipated stop of the vehicles in front of me. My brake pedal went all the way down, but then pushed back on my foot to the start (i.e. as if the brake pedal had never been pushed down). I then tried to reapply the brakes but the pedal would not move down towards the floor of my Mazda CX5. I was out of my seat with all my weight on the brake pedal, but the brake pedal would not move and engage. I feel as if my car slightly slowed down initially until the brake pushed back and then would not reengage or slow down.

Has anyone experienced this with their Mazda CX-5? Or with another Mazda vehicle?

Any advice on how to fix this issue?

On April 10, 2014 I had a friend notify me that her Mazda CX-9 (all 2007-2013) were notified of a brake issue described as the brake pedal being harder than usual to depress. On April 11, 2014, I spoke with a Mazda rep and when I asked if the Mazda CX-5 and CX-9 had similar brake components they did not really know. When I spoke with a local parts manager at the Mazda dealership (who called me ~ 15 minutes after I spoke with someone at the dealership about my question and issues without me requesting a call back), he mentioned that the parts for the Mazda CX-5 and CX-9 are manufactured in different countries and one is a Ford legacy part whereas the other is a Mazda part…but, I still don’t know if they are similar.

Are the brake and brake components (i.e. anti-lock, sensors, etc) in the Mazda CX-5 similar to the Mazda CX-9?

Up until this point I have loved my Mazda CX-5. Now, once my vehicle is out of the collision repair place this week, I do not feel comfortable driving my vehicle knowing I may not have the ability to fully control my vehicles operations, which is my responsibility. The dealership and the Mazda representative I filed a complaint with said they do not have any reports of this previously occurring. Is this true?

Any other advice?

I plan to bring my Mazda CX-5 directly to the dealership, but am concerned they will send me on my way if they are not able to recreate my issue. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and with my insurance company, but they have not been able to assist me.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

Hope no one was hurt.

When you filed your NHTSA complaint, did you look around safercar.gov for other similar reports?

btw, what year is yours?

• clo006clo006 Member Posts: 2

I did not find any similar complaints on safercar.gov which is why I am seeking advice.

I have a 2013 Mazda CX-5 purchased in May of 2012.

• jan1029jan1029 Member Posts: 1
    I have had a similar problem with my 2013 CX5. Sometimes when the car is cold, the brake pedal will not depress and thus it will not start. I keep pushing and eventually the pedal depresses and the car starts. I have not had a problem while driving. 
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,741
    edited February 2015
    As I read the description it has all of the points that I would expect to see in a full lock-up requiring the ABS system to operate to try and help you maintain control. The reason the pedal feels hard, or pushes back is the system is trying to keep the wheels from locking at it has isolated the brake hydraulic circuits and then releases and applies the brakes rapidly resulting in a shorter distance stop than the sliding tires would have given you.