Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

U.S. Auto Market News and Reviews

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 126,124
    Also, you could get the SC300 with a stick!

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• berriberri Posts: 10,059
    I agree for the younger buyers. But middle age and up, I think they will gravitate to small crossover hybrid type vehicles if oil goes way up. They are used to the seating position. This may be true for younger buyers with families as well.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,248
    edited December 2018
    How much is gas out your way? For the first time in memory, I paid $1.99 today--and that was for a 'top tier' gasoline (BP). I went to my hometown which is only ten miles east of the Ohio border and gas there was $2.62--PA has a crazy gasoline tax rate.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,510
    Ours is down to $1.99 for quality brands and even top tier Shell was $1.99. We had a new station open in our area on a highway across from an old one and close to the Shell. It's going to be cheap.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Seems to me its more of a nomenclature issue than any dramatic re-direction. A CUV is basically a sedan anyway.

Think of the past---station wagons, sedan deliveries, "salesman's coupes" (a 2-door with two seats and a large cargo area in the rear, woody sedans and wagons, open-roof "Town Cars" ---they all went away.

Tastes change.

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,952
    I've thought of it another way - look at cars before around 1950: tall, no extended trunk, much ground clearance - kind of like CUVs and smaller SUVs. Maybe we're just going back.

I still prefer a conventional car design and have no innate urge to sit up high, but having rented a medium and large SUV for long drives, I didn't find them particularly bad to drive (aside from mpg). Styles change.
    They're all starting to look the same to me, and some of them are none too pretty.
    Most of them aren't too pretty. Of course, these days, making a nice looking vehicle is far down the list of important factors for groupthink-suffering stylists - faux aggression and the pretense of being rugged and adventurous mean a lot more.

Cladding---the new Halloween custom for sedans.
    In a few years, we'll hit the point where the Aztek was right.
    Could be--the nice thing about bad taste is that you don't know you have it.
    Or in terms of the market, one just doesn't care. Many of these new soft roaders, especially "coupe" variants, are no less homely than an Aztek.
    Seriously guys, are there any vehicles of whatever nomenclature that are truly good looking these days? Design seems to have been overtaken by tech (or in the case of Asian -Anime).
    I can't think of many,not in the affordable realm anyway. This won't be an era remembered for clean or timeless designs.
    I'm sure you've experienced the fact that some people view styling very subjectively and you will always find people who will say: "Oh, I don't know...I think the '58 Buick is quite beautiful".

And who's to argue? That's what they think.

Now, me, I think it is an abomination to all good car styling.

However, I've developed a "thought experiment" to try and eliminate some of the subjectivity.

My theory is that you cannot call a car truly beautiful until you see it in a junkyard, with the body devoid of many parts (cladding? massive chrome bumpers"), so that you can just see the overall shape of the body shell.

Some cars look great, even in that sorry state. Others reveal how clunky and "phony" they really are.

Not too many modern cars would pass my test.

I think Fin is right, the high end expensive cars do tend to have more distinctive styling. I like some of the Maserati designs and I thought the Tesla S was a handsome car. There are a whole bunch others that, at least, are not "offendsive"
    I always try to look at a vehicle colored white. I think it shows design flaws, so if it still looks good, I believe it will look good 5 or 10 years down the road as well.
    berri said:

I always try to look at a vehicle colored white. I think it shows design flaws, so if it still looks good, I believe it will look good 5 or 10 years down the road as well.

X2

I wonder if any Toyolex vehicles pass the white test - maybe Corolla?
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,248
    A white Corolla still looks dumpy to me.
    A face not even a mother could love.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 4,091
    Until they get rid of that big front maw, I’m not interested.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    You may be able that question fin to all Asian makes - probably just a small handful at best.
    edited December 2018
    fintail said:

I wonder if any Toyolex vehicles pass the white test - maybe Corolla?

I saw a white Camry coming at me today. With the black splotches on the front view, I realized what it looks like--a centrifugal force painting where they splat a blob of black paint on a wheel that's rotating and spin it spreading the black paint in streaks out from the core.

The rear is just as bad - it is so busy, and the piece hanging off the taillight bugs me to no end, reminds me of a teardrop tattoo (and you know what those mean):

This is the modern equivalent of a 58 Oldsmobuick - but instead of being funny overdone optimistic space-age kitsch, it is just styling cliches and faux aggression.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 4,091
    I agree. But at least it looks like you can see out of it, which is not a given in many vehicles today.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    That's definitely the silver lining - the Camry does appear to have a tallish greenhouse, which is rare these days.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 5,192
    I find the Mazda vehicles, especially the 3 and CX5 to be quite attractive, and a welcome relief from the horror that most Hondas and Toyotas have become.

I find the current Volt nice looking as well. A guy down my block has one.

Very few US sedans in my neighborhood. Lots more trucks and SUVs of US nameplates.
    Gas here in CA is expensive, it's running around $3.50 for regular. Luckily I don't have much of a commute.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,661
    Agree the CX-5 is a looker. Handles well for a C-ute.

Just bought a 2016 for my daughter. She is stationed in Korea at the moment (Army) destined for Fort Hood, TX in April. Road trip to deliver the CX-5.
  • fushigifushigi Chicago suburbsPosts: 1,459
    tlong said:

Gas here in CA is expensive, it's running around $3.50 for regular. Luckily I don't have much of a commute.

Here (suburban Chicago) we had a bit of a price war for a week or so with all of the stations dropping to $1.78-1.85. But it ended yesterday & shot back up to $2.19-2.35. Work is about 8 miles each way & including that I only drive 700-900 miles a month so don't really worry about it.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • thebeanthebean Parts UnknownPosts: 1,093
    $1.97 for Top Tier here in North Texas. Filled up this morning.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2017 Honda Civic EX-T