Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

U.S. Auto Market News and Reviews

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    You can credit Toyota for inventing "Feel Good Marketing".
  • berriberri Posts: 10,059
    ...as in Piously backing up traffic in the left lane B)
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,248
    "Oh, what a feeling!"

Although, I can't stand that smarmy guy Chevy is using, along with the rube "real people" in their ads.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 5,192
    Travel new roads
    edited January 1
    I don't mind that one in their print advertising, but the TV commercials are abysmal.

Now that I look at my owner magazine, it's "Find New Roads". I interpret that as sort-of "try something different" (instead of the mainstream).
    edited January 1
    Here's the TV commercial our local Toyota dealer plays daily and has for a year probably. The last five or six seconds actually makes my skin crawl:

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 5,192
    Yeah that's bad. To be fair, a lot of these small independent commercials for autos, carpet stoes, mattress stores, etc. are equally cringeworthy.
    Some say that if an ad is bad enough, it sticks the product name into the head of the consumer, which makes it successful. While a very well produced ad can potentially make the consumer focus on the ad instead of the product.
    edited January 2
    I see this commercial daily. I see Jess' point, but that "Toyota in Kent! Hey! DJ!" is dumber than rocks.

This dealer had their 50th anniversary a few years back. Execs from Japan visited and gave them a Samurai sword as an anniversary gift.
    Can you really not make money with a Toyota franchise?
    Berri, there are people who could screw up using a paper clip.
    That reminds me...my friend's Dad had a Studebaker-Packard-Willys-Nash franchise in the early fifties but gave it up in late '56. He went to work as a sales manager at a Pontiac dealer. My friend said he came home and said, "It's amazing! People come in almost hynotized, asking 'where do I sign?'". He hadn't experienced that before. I'll assume it's sort-of like that with a Toyota dealership today, but maybe not.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,956
    I had a MB salesman tell me sort of the same thing - he doesn't do a hard sell as much as show and explain. The cars/badge sell themselves. The Toyota rep probably works similar - you could put a Toyota badge on a Yugo and they'd sell 100K of them.
    edited January 2
    My dealer friend sold a $6K Packard Caribbean convertible, one of 276, at his little dealership in Greenville, PA. I always gave him a lot of credit for that, although he'd say there wasn't much selling involved as "Doc" Bailey knew what he wanted. BTW, the doc traded in a '55 Thunderbird.

The Caribbean my friend sold survives in Denmark.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 126,124
    I like it when the salesperson seems to be offended that you are worried about price.

"You aren't going to let this deal go over $500, are you?"

Yes, I am, and I'll ask you the same thing...

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,661
    I like it when I respectfully say "Thanks" and walk out after the dealer declines my final offer. I usually get my price after all of the homework.
    There is plenty to choose from as long as you don't lock yourself into one "gotta have" vehicle.
    QUIZ: How much profit does Ferrari make on each new car?
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 118,206

QUIZ: How much profit does Ferrari make on each new car?

Not enough zeroes to list it, if we're using lira.

But, Italy switched to the Euro along with the rest of the continent.

I'll guess around $25-50K per vehicle.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

That sounds like a reasonable guess to me. Lots of labor, plus fixed overhead spread over a low volume. What is an average Ferrari, maybe $250-300K at the manufacturing cost line?
    edited January 7
    Not a bad guess you guys, but too low! Ferrari is unique among automobiles in two ways. One, it really isn't branded as a car anymore--it's branded as a luxury item; two, it has an options list that is truly mind-boggling.

E.G.

colored safety belts --$800
    leather armrest for transmission tunnel -- $550
    colored brake calipers -- $1500
    parking cameras -- $3500

Average add-ons, per car = $70,000

Profit per car -- $80,000

Porsche? About $20K per car
    BMW & Mercedes? About $10K per car.
    Maserati -- About $6K per car
    Bentley --- currently, a loss of about $20,000 per car

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,953
    But does Bentley make it up on volume?

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

Yes, using Tesla Math.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,661
    What about Cadillac? Here's an interesting read. (I find it another sign GM will only be making trucks, whether gas or electric quite shortly).

https://jalopnik.com/gm-knows-this-is-cadillac-s-last-chance-1831926384
    If I were GM I wouldn't place my bets on Cadillac or on EVs, but I would place them on SUVs and trucks.
    Cadillac seemed to tie their future to being Germanic with trendy design. But that market was already full. We'll see if Lincoln can do better with their more traditional American luxury approach. Lexus kind of filled that niche, but has recently gone a little wild with design. Good friend has around a '15 RX, but said he wouldn't touch the "ugly" new ones. I guess time really will tell on all of this.
  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 2,575
    I saw a TV commercial this morning for the Lexus UV. Man, that thing is yugly or fugly or whatever word you want to use. I do believe if I won one in a giveaway, I would sell it immediately.
    2018 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab, 2016 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,915
    berri said:

Cadillac seemed to tie their future to being Germanic with trendy design. But that market was already full. We'll see if Lincoln can do better with their more traditional American luxury approach. Lexus kind of filled that niche, but has recently gone a little wild with design. Good friend has around a '15 RX, but said he wouldn't touch the "ugly" new ones. I guess time really will tell on all of this.

I don't think the '15 Lexus were lookers either.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
    Honestly, I'm not sure there are a whole lot of good lookers these days.
    Computer-aided design has homogenized most cars except perhaps on the high-end exotics.