Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

U.S. Auto Market News and Reviews

1626364656668»

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,924
    oh, it definitely was. And if they did not do it intentionally, that absolutely was the end result.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    The elephant in the room is that, adjusted for inflation, average workers' pay has not increased in 4 decades.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 47,933
    edited February 17
    Even worse than that, those inflation figures don't seem to include massive cost of living inputs like healthcare and education, and in many areas, housing, all of which are tremendously more expensive now than then. 40 years ago, normal working people could afford houses here within reasonable commutes at reasonable prices. Not so much anymore, where in my area anyway, houses that could have been bought for 50K then can be 1MM or more now. But hey, TVs are cheaper, so it must be OK.
    I was thinking of something, the most traditional American car is still the MB E-class. Available as a sedan, (hardtop!) coupe, convertible, wagon. RWD basis. 4 different powertrains from a 4 to a normal V6 to a hot I6 to a snarling V8. Enormous custom order possibilities if one has a car built. Only caveat is that they aren't the most affordable.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Well maybe the new A Class will become the "American sedan" that more people can afford. Obviously Ford and GM are ditching sedans, leaving only FCA to soldier on with the 300 and the Charger.
    I meant "American" in terms of layout and choices compared to old traditional American cars. The A will indeed be more affordable, but is still a FWD based small 4 cyl, not the most American configuration.

IIRC, 75% of E sales are sedans.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 11,246
    edited April 27
    In RWD's, only the Charger and 300 will remain from domestic nameplates, that's right.
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,910
    So, with the Performance pack level two a Mustang GT MSRP is $49K!!!!! :open_mouth:
    So is there like a $10K incentive, or am I missing something?
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,661
    Korean brands top J.D. Power's Initial Quality auto rankings

Ford topped all U.S. brands at No. 4, with Lincoln at 5th, Chevrolet at 6th, Dodge at 8th, Buick at 11th, GMC at 12th, Cadillac at 17th, Jeep at 18th, Ram at 21st and Chrysler at 25th.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2019/06/19/korean-brands-top-j-d-powers-initial-quality-auto-rankings/1488480001/
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,391
    Alas, my beloved Jaguar has fallen down a well...
    But, my two cars/8 years of Jag ownership has been reliable and fun!

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,661
    Ford, GM don’t make the most 'American-made’ car. Here's who does.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/industrials/ford-gm-dont-make-the-most-american-made-car-heres-who-does

Of the top 15, nine are manufactured by Japanese firms Honda or Toyota. Ford’s F-150 pickup is the only vehicle from the Dearborn-based company to make it on the list:

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​1. Jeep Cherokee
    2. Honda Odyssey
    3. Honda Ridgeline
    4. Honda Passport
    5. Chevrolet Corvette
    6. Acura MDX
    7. Honda Pilot
    8. Chevrolet Colorado
    9. GMC Canyon
    10. Acura RDX
    11. Chevrolet Camaro
    12. Toyota Avalon
    13. Ford F-150
    14. Honda Accord
    15. Toyota Tundra
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 5,192
    Yes, these companies (and most other non-automotive large companies as well) are pretty much globalized at this point. How much is made locally isn't hugely correlated to where HQ is located.
  • berriberri Posts: 10,059
    On top of that, it is quite likely that your 401K has a global stock presence rather than strictly domestic.